What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kyle Orton (1 Viewer)

thatguy

Footballguy
I know there are other threads on Kyle Orton, but I don't believe we have a thread devoted entirely to his possible 2011 landing spots. I firmly believe he's played his last game as Denver's QB. He has made it known publicly that he is not happy with his current situation, and in all honesty I can't blame him--I think he has every right to be ticked off. I have to imagine the tension between him and the organization will only escalate. So, unless the new management, whoever it may consist of, decides that they want to roll with Orton in 2011 and beyond, I think the two sides have passed a point of no return and Orton will be traded.

Some of the logical landing spots include Arizona (this would be my first choice), Minnesota (this also makes a lot of sense), San Francisco, and Carolina. Some other possible landing spots, perhaps less likely, include Oakland (doubtful he would be traded to a division foe), Cincinnati (Carson seems done, but I have a feeling the organization may not be ready to admit that just yet), and Seattle.

I think Arizona and Minnesota make by far the most sense, and would be the ideal landing spots from a fantasy perspective. In Arizona, Fitz should return to elite status with Orton throwing to him--he'll be Orton's new Marshall/Lloyd. They also have enough other offensive weapons that I think Orton would be very productive in that offense.

Minny is perhaps even a better destination for Orton fantasy wise. I think he would thrive there with all of the offensive weapons on that team. I also think Rice and Harvin would thrive with Orton throwing to them.

I think on either of those two teams, Orton should remain a top 10 QB with the potential to be higher. I'm not as optimistic about his chances at fantasy success on the other teams mentioned, but i nonetheless believe that those teams, too, could use Orton's services.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really high on Tebow as a FF QB, but I like Orton, as well (& he's still fairly young). Orton could be an outstanding FF QB in the right situation.

Minnesota would be an ideal destination, IMO. I believe he could put them over the top & make them an instant playoff team.

I'm not giving up on Orton by any means. His late-season swoon was in almost direct correlation with nagging injury and McDaniel's departure. He made a believer out of me this year. I'm excited about his potential in any offense with an above average supporting cast - my wishlist = 1a) Minnestoa 1b) Arizona followed by DISTANT third and fourth options of Tennessee and Seattle.

It'll be very interesting to watch. I think Kyle has the ability to look as good or as bad as the company he keeps.

Thought he was the most underrated QB in the league before the season & he didn't do much to change my view on that. He just continues to improve each year. He's got a bit more buzz now, but I'd love to see him in Arizona (as bad as he looked a couple weeks ago here vs. the Cards).

I think it's a lot more likely Orton begins 2011 as Denver starter than Tebow.

As long as Denver thinks Tebow can handle the staring job next year (I do), Orton is gone. He becomes a FA after 2011 so it makes sense to move him this offseason.

I believe Orton can be one of the better QBs in the league. If he ends up in a good situation, Orton will become a top-notch FF QB, IMO.

If Denver does decide to move on from Orton, there are a few nice places he could land for FF purposes.

ARI, SF, MIN all come to mind and all have some legit weapons on offense.

Another potential spot could be Washington. It sure looks like McNabb will be gone. I don't like that as a landing spot for Orton's FF numbers so I am just throwing out they could me in need of a QB.

Potnetially Tennessee too if they sour on Young.

Any more thoughts on Orton's 2011 prospects. Like another poster said, I'd love to see him land in Minny. That team would be worlds better with a QB like Orton. And Orton would likely go right back to being a very viable fantasy starter with all the weapons in that offense--weapons that are presently being wasted due to piss poor QB play. And if not Minny, I'd like to see him land in Arizona. Fitz would instantly become an elite WR option again, Breaston would be a big boost, and I think there are enough weapons there that Orton would also be a solid QB1 play.

Now, those are the spots I'd like to see him land, and the spots that I think put him in the best situation to succeed at a high level while also elevating the play of the studs he would be surrounded by. But there are, of course, a handful of other potential suitors...

I know it won't happen becuase it's highly doubtful he would be traded within the division, but I sure would love to see him in Oakland. I have no doubt in my mind if we had Orton on our team this year we would have another 2 or 3 wins. With a consistent QB like Orton to take pressure off our running game and a QB that can actually accuratly get the ball to our speedy WR's and TE I think we would be talking playoffs this year. So as a Raiders fan I would welcome Orton with open arms to Oakland. Unfortunetly he plays within the same divison so a trade is highly unlikely.

I know it won't happen becuase it's highly doubtful he would be traded within the division, but I sure would love to see him in Oakland. I have no doubt in my mind if we had Orton on our team this year we would have another 2 or 3 wins. With a consistent QB like Orton to take pressure off our running game and a QB that can actually accuratly get the ball to our speedy WR's and TE I think we would be talking playoffs this year. So as a Raiders fan I would welcome Orton with open arms to Oakland. Unfortunetly he plays within the same divison so a trade is highly unlikely.
Yeah, I mentioned Oakland in the original post as a landing spot that would make sense, but an unlikely one nonetheless due to the division factor.

its over guys. he wont be relevant again. hell never again enjoy the # of pass attempts he had under mcdaniels.
In some years, you may be correct. I'm not the biggest Orton fan around, but take a look at the high number of teams with terrible situations at QB. There are not 32 better QBs than Orton right now. There is little doubt in my mind that he will start next year for someone.

You can probably cross-off:

Seattle - Just invested significant capital in Charlie Whitehurst and they will at least have to give him another year to fall on his face before going in a different direction

Tennessee - Owner seems set on giving VY another year

Oakland - No way he's traded within the division

Miami - Seems like a fit but they are more than just a moderate QB upgrade away from passing the Jets/Pats

Arizona, Minnesota, and SF all make sense. Arizona makes the most sense, given the offensive personnel in place and the fact that they are going to want to be competitive next year to maximize their chances to resigning Larry Fitzgerald.

Of course depending on who the new regime in Denver likes more, he very well could be the starter next season but I would not bet on it. Although Chris Mortenson did say that people around the league are more excited about Denver because of Orton rather than Tebow.

You can probably cross-off:Seattle - Just invested significant capital in Charlie Whitehurst and they will at least have to give him another year to fall on his face before going in a different directionTennessee - Owner seems set on giving VY another yearOakland - No way he's traded within the divisionMiami - Seems like a fit but they are more than just a moderate QB upgrade away from passing the Jets/PatsArizona, Minnesota, and SF all make sense. Arizona makes the most sense, given the offensive personnel in place and the fact that they are going to want to be competitive next year to maximize their chances to resigning Larry Fitzgerald. Of course depending on who the new regime in Denver likes more, he very well could be the starter next season but I would not bet on it. Although Chris Mortenson did say that people around the league are more excited about Denver because of Orton rather than Tebow.
With the buzz being generated around Denver this week after last Sunday's performance, the Broncos would have an all-out fan riot on their hands if they didn't enter '11 with Tebow as the starter. As an Orton owner, I'm keeping fingers crossed for Minn. or Ari.

Users who are viewing this thread