What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kyler Murray Picks Football - Most Likely Outcome? (1 Viewer)

Most Likely Outcome For Kyler Murray

• Elite NFL QB

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Above Average NFL QB

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • Average NFL QB

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Below Average NFL QB

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • Bad NFL QB

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Out of the league in 5 years

Votes: 19 20.2%

• Total voters
I want a QB who is prepared at all times. In practice, in games, with the media, everything. This painful interview makes me think he doesn’t have the “it” factor. 
Too young, too soon, to think the kid can't do better than that.  Yep....a wait and see.

Here's the twelve 1st round QBs taken between 2013 and 2017.  At least 7 of them are below average.  Certainly not the "vast" majority that I stated above, but still a majority.  And I'm not entirely convinced that Goff and Winston are above average, either.

Trubisky
Mahomes
Watson
Goff
Wentz
Lynch
Winston
Mariota
Bortles
Manziel
Bridgewater
EJ Manuel
Is the "average" QB the average starting QB or average QB getting a paycheck? Either way I think you're off on Goff, but if average is average starter, Murray is easily below average Imo. If we're including backups, I think Murray can be a good backup. But I don't think he starts very long in the NFL. 

Which probably means he goes back to baseball. 

kittenmittens said:
I'm probably not taking a chance on him in superflex unless he falls to a late first or has an ideal destination. QBs are hard enough to hit on. 

I am excited that he will probably push an elite WR down the board further... 
Even with his risk, I don't think I pass on him with the 1.12 in SF. 

in 1 QB leagues? 3rd or later probably. 

I'm counting on Miami to go stupid.
I think Miami is going to peel the band aid and go for the number one pick next year. 

Obviously that could change if they fall in love with one of the quarterbacks in this class, but if you're going to invest in a qb, you really need to decide on a guy (or a couple guys) you really like and if you can't get them, you should just get draft capital for the next class.  

ZenoRazon said:
My opinion is how in the hell is this kid going to lead a bunch of grown men into battle.  He came off as being....you asked.....stupid.

Yes, maybe this was just some..forget it a bad day. 
QBs before the NFL draft and some after the draft.  

Kyler Murray was waiting on information that he would be a 1st round draft pick and was trying to avoid questions which made an uncomfortable interview.  If you think an uncofortable interview makes a prospect unworthy then you would definitely have passed on any QB who DID something worse so you would have passed on every one of these guys and probably a ton more because this was a quick and dirty search off the top of my head of QB exploits far worse than an uncomfortable pre-draft unprepared interview. 

1.   Dak Prescott Jumped, Attacker Snitches Himself Out

2.  Baker Mayfield Arrest Police Video FULL UNCUT

3.  Brett Favre Sends Penis Pics to Hot JETS Girl

4.  Ben Roethlisberger's Sexual Assault Exploits

5.  PEYTON MANNING SEXUAL ASSULT ALLEGATIONS EXPOSED!

6.   0:19 / 11:19 Jameis Winston Sexual Assault Cover-Up?!

Is the "average" QB the average starting QB or average QB getting a paycheck? Either way I think you're off on Goff, but if average is average starter, Murray is easily below average Imo. If we're including backups, I think Murray can be a good backup. But I don't think he starts very long in the NFL. 

Today, I would put Goff teetering on the pivot point between above average and below average.  He's got talent, but he's in a tremendously favorable system.  How much is Goff and how much is McVay?  We've seen Goff look atrocious, and we've seen him look like a world beater.   I still don't truly know which side he lands on.

Today, I would put Goff teetering on the pivot point between above average and below average.  He's got talent, but he's in a tremendously favorable system.  How much is Goff and how much is McVay?  We've seen Goff look atrocious, and we've seen him look like a world beater.   I still don't truly know which side he lands on.
This is pretty much where I am on Goff. It's the classic "is he a 'system' guy"? question. 

Here's something I don't know. 

What are the options for "going back"?   Because I think that matters for his NFL time. If this were a thing where the A's or MLB were saying, "anytime you're ready, c'mon back", that would be different than if he had significant obstacles going to baseball. 

I'm not sure how the rights work there. Been a long time since Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders were playing both...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's something I don't know. 

What are the options for "going back"?   Because I think that matters for his NFL time. If this were a thing where the A's or MLB were saying, "anytime you're ready, c'mon back", that would be different than if he had significant obstacles going to baseball. 

I'm not sure how the rights work there. Been a long time since Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders were playing both...
I'll always remember Drew Henson. Failed at baseball, then tried football. Didn't work so well. 

I'd assume he'd have to make the move within a few years to have a chance.

Kyler Murray was waiting on information that he would be a 1st round draft pick and was trying to avoid questions which made an uncomfortable interview.  If you think an uncofortable interview makes a prospect unworthy then you would definitely have passed on any QB who DID something worse so you would have passed on every one of these guys and probably a ton more because this was a quick and dirty search off the top of my head of QB exploits far worse than an uncomfortable pre-draft unprepared interview. 

1.   Dak Prescott Jumped, Attacker Snitches Himself Out

2.  Baker Mayfield Arrest Police Video FULL UNCUT

3.  Brett Favre Sends Penis Pics to Hot JETS Girl

4.  Ben Roethlisberger's Sexual Assault Exploits

5.  PEYTON MANNING SEXUAL ASSULT ALLEGATIONS EXPOSED!

6.   0:19 / 11:19 Jameis Winston Sexual Assault Cover-Up?!
I don't care about all that the kid came off really bad, maybe stupid isn't the best word.

Not just unprepared for the interview... unprepared to hold a conversation.  Looking for his dad to help him get through a very basic and entirely predictable conversation.  

It is one data point in the equation.  I am just adding a lack of presence to the other data points - good arm, athletic, small, etc.

Not sure what that has to do with police videos and sexual assault cases against other QBs.

Dr. Dan said:
the biggest criticism was his height, which seems to not be an issue. 

Would anyone change their vote?
I'm not saying his height is an issue, but those that were/are concerned with height are probably not that ok with 5'10". Of course some thought he could be 5'8" so as far as that is concerned  it's a win but he's still undersized.

I think it's more likely he's a "boom" and not a "bust" but would still have some apprehensions if my NFL team drafted him, but would have some excitement also.

For fantasy rookie drafts, he'd be my #1 QB as that's all about upside for me.

I'm not saying his height is an issue, but those that were/are concerned with height are probably not that ok with 5'10". Of course some thought he could be 5'8" so as far as that is concerned  it's a win but he's still undersized.

I think it's more likely he's a "boom" and not a "bust" but would still have some apprehensions if my NFL team drafted him, but would have some excitement also.

For fantasy rookie drafts, he'd be my #1 QB as that's all about upside for me.
Where would you be okay drafting him? 

Where would you be okay drafting him? 
In my rookie drafts other than when Luck and RGIII (I saw each go top 5 in multiple drafts) came out the first QB usually comes off the board in the mid-second (with a few exceptions here and there). If Murray goes to Arizona in an offense deigned around his skill set I may be willing to use a late first if it was a luxury pick for my team. I do think he could be a fantasy force there and most late first are 50/50 at best anyway. If he was still there in the mid-second I think its a no brainer.

In my rookie drafts other than when Luck and RGIII (I saw each go top 5 in multiple drafts) came out the first QB usually comes off the board in the mid-second (with a few exceptions here and there). If Murray goes to Arizona in an offense deigned around his skill set I may be willing to use a late first if it was a luxury pick for my team. I do think he could be a fantasy force there and most late first are 50/50 at best anyway. If he was still there in the mid-second I think its a no brainer.
Thanks. Contemplating with pick 14. trying to trade up to pick 12. Pick 13 needs a qb

Picking 16 in a 16 team dynasty. I'm the only one that really needs a QB. Potential height questions will keep me from moving up (as I do think trying to throw over huge, lightening fast guys is harder for shorter guys. I remember a video showing what it looked like from Flutie's height over or between a wall of rushers and can't imagine playing effectively from there all the time - although some can clearly do it). But, if he lasts (and isn't backing up Luck or something awful) its a rare time for me to spend a first on a QB.

Picking 16 in a 16 team dynasty. I'm the only one that really needs a QB. Potential height questions will keep me from moving up (as I do think trying to throw over huge, lightening fast guys is harder for shorter guys. I remember a video showing what it looked like from Flutie's height over or between a wall of rushers and can't imagine playing effectively from there all the time - although some can clearly do it). But, if he lasts (and isn't backing up Luck or something awful) its a rare time for me to spend a first on a QB.
I have a decent consolation of Haskins if Murray is gone. Originally I was shooting for Haskins before Murray was measured up. 

I will need a qb if Rosen is on a bench next season. Otherwise my 2 backups will be backups. 

When I view the situation from a million miles away with no knowledge of Murray at all ... it feels like a kid that's being forced into football for $s but would rather play baseball.  There's no enthusiasm that we've seen for playing in the NFL.  Will be interested in his pro day before making judgment though.

When I view the situation from a million miles away with no knowledge of Murray at all ... it feels like a kid that's being forced into football for $s but would rather play baseball.  There's no enthusiasm that we've seen for playing in the NFL.  Will be interested in his pro day before making judgment though.
His long-term earning prospects are probably better in baseball. He already had a $5M guaranteed contract with the A's. If he goes #1 overall he'll do better than that, if he goes mid-first round he'll do about the same, and if he falls to the end (or out of the first round) he won't do as well. For him to do better in terms of money at football he'd have to either be picked in the top 2 or 3, or become a long-term starter somewhere, which is way less likely for him in the NFL than in baseball.

His long-term earning prospects are probably better in baseball. He already had a $5M guaranteed contract with the A's. If he goes #1 overall he'll do better than that, if he goes mid-first round he'll do about the same, and if he falls to the end (or out of the first round) he won't do as well. For him to do better in terms of money at football he'd have to either be picked in the top 2 or 3, or become a long-term starter somewhere, which is way less likely for him in the NFL than in baseball.
Huh?  It's a given that he's a top 3 pick.  Mayfield got a $21.8M signing bonus in a $32M contract.  San Darnold got a $20M signing bonus $20M contract

How does a $4.6M reporting bonus from the As, a minor league salary, no chance for another payday until like 2025, and slumming it around in rookie league even come close?

Huh?  It's a given that he's a top 3 pick.  Mayfield got a $21.8M signing bonus in a $32M contract.  San Darnold got a $20M signing bonus $20M contract

How does a $4.6M reporting bonus from the As, a minor league salary, no chance for another payday until like 2025, and slumming it around in rookie league even come close?
If he's a top-3 pick he'll get more, sure. I'm still a bit dubious. If the Cardinals don't take him (and they took Rosen in the first round just last year) I can't imagine San Francisco (Garoppolo), the Jets (Darnold) or the Raiders (Carr) going that way. He'd be controversial on the Bucs. The Giants, maybe. So if he goes 1.06 and gets Josh Allen money, that was $7.7M guaranteed over 4 years. 

No matter where he goes he gets no chance for another payday until like 2025. so the difference between 1.01 and 1.06 would be pretty huge. And the likelihood of landing a long-term job, and actually getting that big paycheck in 2025, is a lot more likely as an outfielder than a quarterback. 

It's really not. Or there's a lot of teams playing coy here. 

Arizona may very well take him but if they don't we may be looking at an Aaron Rodgers type fall. 

Users who are viewing this thread