What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lamont Jordan vs Julius Jones (1 Viewer)

jaylasoul14

Footballguy
I have these guys near eachother; Lamont Jordan is a true beast who will break some 40 plus runs this year, especially with those recievers spreading the opposing d's and in the 4th quarter when the d's are worn down. Julius looked sensational last year; his speed through the line and holes looked incredible; who do you like and why? :D

Honestly? I view them as both having just about the same type of year, which is to say they'll both have a lower top-10 year IMO. But if I had to give one an edge it'd be Jones because in his short career we've seen what he can do starting games with 20+ carries.

I think Lamont will finish the season somewhere between top five and ten. Norv Turner has always been able to bring out the best in his running backs and I have no reason to think Jordan won't continue his long lins of stud backs.

Tough call, but I like Turner's track record and the look of the Oak O. Dal brought in 2 other quality RBs in spite of having Jones. Maybe not the biggest deal, but enough to give Jordan the edge in this one.

I think Julius is more of a threat in the passing game than Jordan is. I see Zack Crockett spelling Jordan on short yardage plays (not all, but some) and Fargas maybe stepping in on passing situation. Oakland has a nice trio of RBs, so i would think Norv Turner would utilize all 3 to some extent. Plus, i dont think Jordan has played a full season as the primary back. Julius > Jordan

I don't even think it's close. Julius Jones will have at least 200 yards more rushing, 150 yards more receiving and 3 Td's more.
Agreed. Not close. L Jordan could not take over C Mart in NY. Ju Jones is somewhat of a gamble because he has only played 0.5 season as a starter. But what he showed us is great. L Jordan has potential, but he has not been a starter yet so he is riskier. Parcells runs the ball. The Raiders will probably have a higher pass/run ratio than average in the NFL due to bad defense and all the weapons in the passing offense. The only reason I could see taking Jordan before Ju Jones is you could say Jones MIGHT be more injury-prone.

I don't even think it's close.  Julius Jones will have at least 200 yards more rushing, 150 yards more receiving and 3 Td's more.
Agreed. Not close. L Jordan could not take over C Mart in NY. Ju Jones is somewhat of a gamble because he has only played 0.5 season as a starter. But what he showed us is great. L Jordan has potential, but he has not been a starter yet so he is riskier. Parcells runs the ball. The Raiders will probably have a higher pass/run ratio than average in the NFL due to bad defense and all the weapons in the passing offense. The only reason I could see taking Jordan before Ju Jones is you could say Jones MIGHT be more injury-prone.
Nobody else is concerned about Atrain and Barber eating into Jones' touches? Am I crazy for feeling this way? Dal homers, can I have your thougths here?

I don't even think it's close.  Julius Jones will have at least 200 yards more rushing, 150 yards more receiving and 3 Td's more.
Nobody else is concerned about Atrain and Barber eating into Jones' touches? Am I crazy for feeling this way? Dal homers, can I have your thougths here?
Worried? Yes. However, Jordan should be worried about his touches as much as Ju Jones. Randy Moss is a red zone threat. Crockett could get goal line carries. So to me sharing touches is not a big factor when comparing these two guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Crockett will get the goal line carries in Oakland. TDs will be the big difference maker as I don't see LaMont getting more than 6 TDs.Julius Jones.

Agreed. Not close. L Jordan could not take over C Mart in NY.
Couldn't take over for a Hall of Famer who hasn't slowed down one bit!?!?! That is not a knock on Jordan, there aren't very many RBs in the league who would have started ahead of Martin, the guy is a machine!Jordan is very talented but I do think Jones gets the nod because of the TDs that he will score. Moss will take too many from Jordan.

Agreed.  Not close.  L Jordan could not take over C Mart in NY. 
Couldn't take over for a Hall of Famer who hasn't slowed down one bit!?!?! That is not a knock on Jordan, there aren't very many RBs in the league who would have started ahead of Martin, the guy is a machine!Jordan is very talented but I do think Jones gets the nod because of the TDs that he will score. Moss will take too many from Jordan.
Maybe I have a bias against C Mart. But I think C Mart was the beneficiary of the situation last year. Many other RBs would have done as well or better than he did. I did not see anything to tell me that this great season was mostly his own doing. For example, if Portis had been with the Jets, the stats would have been much better. C Mart used to be very good. But I don't see him as a dominant RB anymore. He will perform as well as his OL and overall offense allow him to be.

Parcels has said A.Train will have to play a part in special team to even make the squad. A-train is no more than insurance and a short yardage back.

The argument that Jordan could not take over C Mart in NY is flawed... the guy lead the league in rushing. He's been a very productive back. I definately think Jones should be drafted before Jordan. But they both may end up close. I don't like predicting injuries, so you have to project a full season. I definately think both could be in the top 5-10 at the RB position. But if you take on early take Jones. But Jordan won't hurt you IMO.

Agreed.  Not close.  L Jordan could not take over C Mart in NY. 
Maybe I have a bias against C Mart. But I think C Mart was the beneficiary of the situation last year. Many other RBs would have done as well or better than he did. I did not see anything to tell me that this great season was mostly his own doing. For example, if Portis had been with the Jets, the stats would have been much better. C Mart used to be very good. But I don't see him as a dominant RB anymore. He will perform as well as his OL and overall offense allow him to be.
:lmao: Too funny.

Nobody else is concerned about Atrain and Barber eating into Jones' touches?  Am I crazy for feeling this way?  Dal homers, can I have your thougths here?
Parcels has said A.Train will have to play a part in special team to even make the squad. A-train is no more than insurance and a short yardage back.
:thumbup: Thank you.

If you are worried about losing TD's, you have to look at how a team scores. Dallas has no receivers who will take it to the house - just posession guys who will get knocked out of bounds, then bring in Jones to score. Also, Jones has shown he can score by himself from long distance.Raiders have 4 or 5 long range TD threats and a QB who can throw long. Odds are more of those plays end up being TD, while Jordan watches from backfield. Jordan is probably not going to break a 40 yd TD more than once or twice.p.s. Curtis Martin has only had 2 subpar [1,000 yard] seasons - both while injured, and he was still a solid RB2 those years. Last year was his first full workout in the offseason and it paid off nicely. Can't believe anyone would call out a first ballot hall of famer like that.

i previously said Crockett would steal goal line and short yardage carries away from Jordan, but i think that would only be the case in 3rd downs, where Jordan failed to get it on 2nd down. Just my :2cents:

If you are worried about losing TD's, you have to look at how a team scores.

Dallas has no receivers who will take it to the house - just posession guys who will get knocked out of bounds, then bring in Jones to score. Also, Jones has shown he can score by himself from long distance.

Raiders have 4 or 5 long range TD threats and a QB who can throw long. Odds are more of those plays end up being TD, while Jordan watches from backfield. Jordan is probably not going to break a 40 yd TD more than once or twice.

p.s. Curtis Martin has only had 2 subpar [1,000 yard] seasons - both while injured, and he was still a solid RB2 those years. Last year was his first full workout in the offseason and it paid off nicely. Can't believe anyone would call out a first ballot hall of famer like that.
C Mart is a hall of famer. But in 2005 he is just a below average RB in my opinion. The loss of MacKenzie on the OL and the loss of good blocking TE Becht will be very obvious. This is the same guy who scored 2 TDs in 2003. Just because he scored 14 in 2004 you will move him way up on your board? Just like you moved him way down after he scored only 2 TDs. I guess this should be the topic of another thread.

You know what I am sick and tired of all you people thinking Jordan couldn't take over for Martin, so how can he be productive in Oakland. You uninformed people are more than welcome to pass on Jordan. Pick your Julies Jones or whoever in front of Jordan. I'll be here next year to laugh at your a**es. If you have to depend on the so called professionals to see talent then I fell sorry for you. Jordan is a f**king horse, and if he stays healthy he will be in the top 5. Moss, blah blah blah, Crockett yada,yada, yada. Who the f**k knows only time will tell.

You know what I am sick and tired of all you people thinking Jordan couldn't take over for Martin, so how can he be productive in Oakland. You uninformed people are more than welcome to pass on Jordan. Pick your Julies Jones or whoever in front of Jordan. I'll be here next year to laugh at your a**es. If you have to depend on the so called professionals to see talent then I fell sorry for you. Jordan is a f**king horse, and if he stays healthy he will be in the top 5. Moss, blah blah blah, Crockett yada,yada, yada. Who the f**k knows only time will tell.
Ok.. you go ahead and take Jordan in the 1st round then. I'll take a guy who has actually shown he can play in the NFL, on a run first team. Jordan may very well turn into a great back, but I won't take him above guys who have shown they ARE very good, maybe great backs.

Dallas has no receivers who will take it to the house - just posession guys who will get knocked out of bounds, then bring in Jones to score.  Also, Jones has shown he can score by himself from long distance.

Raiders have 4 or 5 long range TD threats and a QB who can throw long.  Odds are more of those plays end up being TD, while Jordan watches from backfield.  Jordan is probably not going to break a 40 yd TD more than once or twice.

p.s. Curtis Martin has only had 2 subpar [1,000 yard] seasons - both while injured, and he was still a solid RB2 those years. Last year was his first full workout in the offseason and it paid off nicely.  Can't believe anyone would call out a first ballot hall of famer like that.
C Mart is a hall of famer. But in 2005 he is just a below average RB in my opinion. The loss of MacKenzie on the OL and the loss of good blocking TE Becht will be very obvious. This is the same guy who scored 2 TDs in 2003. Just because he scored 14 in 2004 you will move him way up on your board? Just like you moved him way down after he scored only 2 TDs. I guess this should be the topic of another thread.
Okay this is a pretty fair and honest analysis by you Bouddha. The losses of McKenzie and Becth could do some damage to Curtis' numbers but this is still a guy who has never had fewer than 310 touches or 1,400 yards in a 10 year career. How many different offensive line combinations has he played with? He has never been a huge TD guy but even with only 2 TDs in 2003 (when he put up 1,570 yards btw) Curtis still averages 9.5 TD/year for his career. Yet every single year, without fail, fantasy guys knock him and I am thrilled to grab him in the late third/early fourth round.So yeah Curtis may suffer with the losses on the line but then again he may not. I think a safe low end prediction for Curtis is 1,400 yards and 7 TDs. Not to shabby and definitely not below average.

To get back on topic right now IMO

Lamont Jordan = Julius Jones

Sure. Let's bring this thread up in late September. Jordan healthy and top 5!!! :eek:

Dallas has no receivers who will take it to the house - just posession guys who will get knocked out of bounds, then bring in Jones to score.  Also, Jones has shown he can score by himself from long distance.

Raiders have 4 or 5 long range TD threats and a QB who can throw long.  Odds are more of those plays end up being TD, while Jordan watches from backfield.  Jordan is probably not going to break a 40 yd TD more than once or twice.

p.s. Curtis Martin has only had 2 subpar [1,000 yard] seasons - both while injured, and he was still a solid RB2 those years. Last year was his first full workout in the offseason and it paid off nicely.  Can't believe anyone would call out a first ballot hall of famer like that.
Okay this is a pretty fair and honest analysis by you Bouddha. The losses of McKenzie and Becth could do some damage to Curtis' numbers but this is still a guy who has never had fewer than 310 touches or 1,400 yards in a 10 year career. How many different offensive line combinations has he played with? He has never been a huge TD guy but even with only 2 TDs in 2003 (when he put up 1,570 yards btw) Curtis still averages 9.5 on his career. Yet every single year, without fail, fantasy guys knock him and I am thrilled to grab him in the late third/early fourth round.So yeah Curtis may suffer with the losses on the line but then again he may not. I think a safe low end prediction for Curtis is 1,400 yards and 7 TDs. Not to shabby and definitely not below average.
I am not saying C Mart will be horrible. I just think his carries will go down (age), his YPC will go down due to the loss of MacKenzie and Becht. His TDs were abnormally low in 2003, abnormally high in 2004 so 2005 will be in between. So he is going down on all categories. I agree he might be drafted a little too late based on his value.

Sure. Let's bring this thread up in late September January. Jordan healthy and top 5!!! :eek:
September means little unless someone is injured and out for the year.Somehow I get the feeling that someone will bump these threads every month, and then in 2008.

Jones all day long. He's proven that he can carry the load. This Jordan guy just wants a payday. I see him on the pine as Fargas runs wild by game 3.

I have these guys near eachother; Lamont Jordan is a true beast who will break some 40 plus runs this year, especially with those recievers spreading the opposing d's and in the 4th quarter when the d's are worn down. Julius looked sensational last year; his speed through the line and holes looked incredible; who do you like and why? :D
Isn't one of these recievers the guy who said that he takes plays off? Isn't this the same guy who you can actually see giving an olay block to DB's when it's a run play? Oh, wait you must mean the reciever that gives up on his teammates and leaves the field early. Yeah, he should do wonders for the run game in Oakland. I saw someone say "Jordan=Jones" that is exactly how I would treat it going into the season. In a redraft league I might actually tip the scales to Jones just based on age.

Look here in the value article: Value RBHey Jurb, you're not crazy. However, Barber's an unknown, a rookie 3rd rounder and A-train's a pretty good backup. I thought Julius Jones looked great at the end of last season, however, when he was hurt, the Cowboys had nothing at RB, I mean nothing. They weren't going to let that happen again to them so they went out and bought what they think could be a decent back up (thomas) and gambled on what they think is some value in Barber in the 3rd round. I've seen Barber play a lot (Big 10 fan), he's shown lots of talent at times, other times..........I think it's going to take a little time for him to adapt but you might see a couple plays where you see why Dallas took the chance in drafting him.

However, I think Dallas goes into the season with a game plan of trying to establish the run. RUN, RUN, RUN, and play solid defense. With that, a few trick plays that Parcells likes to throw in once you fall to sleep. I think this recipe translates into a big year for Julius Jones.

Curtis Martin has only had 2 subpar [1,000 yard] seasons - both while injured, and he was still a solid RB2 those years. Last year was his first full workout in the offseason and it paid off nicely. Can't believe anyone would call out a first ballot hall of famer like that.
Which 2 subpar season [1,000 yard] seasons are you referring to?
Code:
| 1995 nwe |  16 |   368   1487    4.0   14 |    30    261   8.7    1 || 1996 nwe |  16 |   316   1152    3.6   14 |    46    333   7.2    3 || 1997 nwe |  13 |   274   1160    4.2    4 |    41    296   7.2    1 || 1998 nyj |  15 |   369   1287    3.5    8 |    43    365   8.5    1 || 1999 nyj |  16 |   367   1464    4.0    5 |    45    259   5.8    0 || 2000 nyj |  16 |   316   1204    3.8    9 |    70    508   7.3    2 || 2001 nyj |  16 |   333   1513    4.5   10 |    53    320   6.0    0 || 2002 nyj |  16 |   261   1094    4.2    7 |    49    362   7.4    0 || 2003 nyj |  16 |   323   1308    4.0    2 |    42    262   6.2    0 || 2004 nyj |  16 |   371   1697    4.6   12 |    41    245   6.0    2 |
I agree that Curtis Martin does not get anywhere near the love he should in fantasy circles. Each season people say the wheels are about to fall off, but it hasn't happened. It will eventually, but it hasn't come close to that yet.Almost every year he gets selected around the 20th RB off the board. I don't get it, but that's just how it goes, I guess. I've taken him as a third RB on several occasions and laughed all the way to the bank.

I want to apologize about the rant. I got behind the wheel of my computer drunk last night, one too many scotches. I'm still passionate about Jordan though.

Edited: Nevermind, I can't pick on someone who was under the influence. :wall:

I want to apologize about the rant. I got behind the wheel of my computer drunk last night, one too many scotches. I'm still passionate about Jordan though.
:thumbup:

Edited: Nevermind, I can't pick on someone who was under the influence. :wall:

Is this the same Fightin' Whitie that went AWOL from our dynasty league (XFL)?

Almost every year he gets selected around the 20th RB off the board. I don't get it, but that's just how it goes, I guess. I've taken him as a third RB on several occasions and laughed all the way to the bank.
Dave,That sound you hear is me laughing with you. As you can see by my team below.

Can Jordan be a feature back for more than 3 games before we call for this guy to be anyone's messiah? Let's see, so far, since joining the league, Jordan's career totals equal 75% of CuMarts yardage LAST YEAR! But wait, he's also caught 50 whole passes.Until that guy shows anything for any period of time, I go Jones.

Can Jordan be a feature back for more than 3 games before we call for this guy to be anyone's messiah? Let's see, so far, since joining the league, Jordan's career totals equal 75% of CuMarts yardage LAST YEAR! But wait, he's also caught 50 whole passes.

Until that guy shows anything for any period of time, I go Jones.
Yeah becasue JJ has really closed the book on the ability to be a featured back debate. :wall:

Can Jordan be a feature back for more than 3 games before we call for this guy to be anyone's messiah?  Let's see, so far, since joining the league, Jordan's career totals equal 75% of CuMarts yardage LAST YEAR!  But wait, he's also caught 50 whole passes.

Yeah becasue JJ has really closed the book on the ability to be a featured back debate. :wall:
What he says

Can Jordan be a feature back for more than 3 games before we call for this guy to be anyone's messiah?  Let's see, so far, since joining the league, Jordan's career totals equal 75% of CuMarts yardage LAST YEAR!  But wait, he's also caught 50 whole passes.

JJ has really closed the book on the ability to be a featured back debate.
I agree with Jurb, Jones has proven that he can be a highly effective featured back

I agree with Jurb, Jones has proven that he can be a highly effective featured back
In what his entire 1 NFL season and 8 games of which he did not stay healthy.... :potkettle:

In what his entire 1 NFL season and 8 games of which he did not stay healthy.... :potkettle:
Can we get a translator here?

from the Sporting NewsJean-Jacques Taylor / Posted: 3 days ago The Cowboys love Julius Jones' ability to make defenders miss in the open field, and they're planning to throw him the ball more to give him an opportunity to do it. Jones averaged only 6.4 yards on 17 receptions. Dallas would like him in the 8.5-yard range, which could happen if he's used more on screens and wheel routes that isolate him on linebackers -- not just as a safety valve. His blocking was good enough at the end of the season that the Cowboys should feel good about leaving him in the game in nickel situations. . . .Coach Bill Parcells has big plans for fourth-round pick Marion Barber III, who reminds him of former Jets running back Leon Johnson. Parcells envisions Barber as a third-down back who can also spell Julius Jones on occasion, in addition to handling kickoff returns and at least one coverage unit. Ideally, he'd get 25 plays on offense per game. . . .

And somehow because Julie Jones went to a team with no RB and got an opprotunity to start he is better than Jordan. It is not even remotely possible that Jordan can be successful given the right opprotunity. I hate to jump in the middle of this but feel compelled. Wilked aren't you the person who wants statistics to back everything up. Well I believe statistics show Jones is brittle. He could not play a full season his first and only year. How does that equate to a proven feature back?

And somehow because Julie Jones went to a team with no RB and got an opprotunity to start he is better than Jordan. It is not even remotely possible that Jordan can be successful given the right opprotunity. I hate to jump in the middle of this but feel compelled. Wilked aren't you the person who wants statistics to back everything up. Well I believe statistics show Jones is brittle. He could not play a full season his first and only year. How does that equate to a proven feature back?
This wasn't only his problem in Dal last year. It was the same in college as well:http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/julius_jones

A clip:

Not mentally tough, letting minor injuries linger

I think Jordan has a decent shot at being a top 15 back in '05.I think J. Jones has a good shot at being a top 5 back in '05. :)

Ok, how bout if we shorten the requirements to ONE GAME where he's a feature back in the last year?Hmmmmkay?

Users who are viewing this thread