What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Last Chance to Get Brandon Jackson Cheap/Free (1 Viewer)

GB vs. Detroit, week 14..in most fantasy leagues, week 14 is the first round of the playoffs...

for that alone, Jackson is worth his weight in gold.should be a HUGE game for him..

Last edited by a moderator:
Brandon Jackson was awarded the offensive game ball after last night's game. Coach McCarthy spoke highly of Jackson's game in the post-game transcript. Excerps below:

Brandon Jackson was outstanding. Very pleased with the production on the screens last night
I think we do an exceptional job and also to play with the tempo that we do, but I thought that was Brandon’s best game that I have seen him play. I thought Pittsburgh was a statement game for him last year, the way he played in that game, but I thought he played a complete football game. I just think it is important when someone is playing at that level, you want to get him a couple more opportunities.
I would also point out that the Packers had a pass play go down to the 1 yard line (I believe it was James Jones). Unlike some past weeks, Jackson was the goal line back, not Kuhn.Regards,THE FANTASY KING

He's strung a few decent performances together. I'm cautiously optimistic about him now.
Id still like to see him get a few more carries.Another game where he was effective (4.5 per carry against a tough run D) and he only got 13 carries.

He's strung a few decent performances together. I'm cautiously optimistic about him now.
Id still like to see him get a few more carries.Another game where he was effective (4.5 per carry against a tough run D) and he only got 13 carries.
Agreed, he's looked better the last two weeks, but still isn't getting a ton of opportunities. Will he be as good per touch given more opps? What's impressive to me is that he's doing most of his work on 1st and 2nd down. As opposed to third down.At the same time, I still don't see him making something out of nothing, and while defenses defend the pass against GB, he gets good holes to run through, but doesn't often break into the secondary.Cautiously optimistic is the right term. His situation is excellent, but he still isn't showing a ton of talent IMO.

its not that hard to run when you only do it on 3rd down or passing situations... good pass catcher...terrible nfl runningback ...sorry guys

From a fantasy perspective, he's been a solid RB3 the past four games - which happens to coincide with when I dumped his sorry a**. He has looked better in that span and while I'm still not a fan he looks like he's running harder and with more authority. He's clearly the guy in the Packers' running game (such as it is) and he's become a reliable RB3 for his fantasy owners. If you stuck with him or acquired him despite the fact he was looking horrific in his first few starts you deserve the props because he's come around.

its not that hard to run when you only do it on 3rd down or passing situations... good pass catcher...terrible nfl runningback ...sorry guys
You think that is when he was running?He has looked much better lately (except in those obvious run situations to try and grind out the clock...he does suck at that).The reality is still that McCarthy does not appear to want to really give him more than 15 carries in a game.

From a fantasy perspective, he's been a solid RB3 the past four games - which happens to coincide with when I dumped his sorry a**. He has looked better in that span and while I'm still not a fan he looks like he's running harder and with more authority. He's clearly the guy in the Packers' running game (such as it is) and he's become a reliable RB3 for his fantasy owners. If you stuck with him or acquired him despite the fact he was looking horrific in his first few starts you deserve the props because he's come around.
I did the same thing...but I picked up BJGE maybe a bit even before you had dropped Jackson and have been fine with that move.

I did the same thing...but I picked up BJGE maybe a bit even before you had dropped Jackson and have been fine with that move.
I dropped him for Blount which now would look like a possible genius move ...If I hadn't dropped Blount.

I dropped him for Blount which now would look like a possible genius move ...If I hadn't dropped Blount.
Well...I had an offer for Jackson and Knox for Fred Taylor and Calvin when I first picked him up. I turned it down as Calvin was struggling and I still had hope for Knox...plus I have Moss and Boldin so didn't feel like I needed Calvin. DOH!!!!

His situation is excellent, but he still isn't showing a ton of talent IMO.
:lmao: And if by "still" you mean pretty much the last 4 years, I'd agree - which probably has something to do with the fact that he doesn't get more touches.Since TFK made public this epiphany, Jackson hasn't rushed for more than 58 yards in any of the 3 games. If you need 6-7 points out of your RB, with an occasional TD thrown in to bump into double digits, enjoy Jackson (I beleive sho nuff posted the same point a few weeks ago - dead on).ETA: One other flaw in the epiphany - you can still probably get him for cheap...probably cheaper, as now he has 3 mediocre performances following the big week, and is now 3 weeks closer to the end of the season.EATA: This is now the 2nd post today I have agreed with something Sho Nuff said...WTF?

:lmao: And if by "still" you mean pretty much the last 4 years, I'd agree - which probably has something to do with the fact that he doesn't get more touches.Since TFK made public this epiphany, Jackson hasn't rushed for more than 58 yards in any of the 3 games. If you need 6-7 points out of your RB, with an occasional TD thrown in to bump into double digits, enjoy Jackson (I beleive sho nuff posted the same point a few weeks ago - dead on).
In his last four games Jackson has seen his rushing attempts increase each game, he has topped 70 total yards in every game and he's caught at least three passes in three games.Again, I'm no fan of the guy but he has become a solid RB3. I think the depth at RB is sorely lacking this season so if you have a reliable option in any fashion that has value. And right now, Brandon Jackson has value.

:towelwave: And if by "still" you mean pretty much the last 4 years, I'd agree - which probably has something to do with the fact that he doesn't get more touches.Since TFK made public this epiphany, Jackson hasn't rushed for more than 58 yards in any of the 3 games. If you need 6-7 points out of your RB, with an occasional TD thrown in to bump into double digits, enjoy Jackson (I beleive sho nuff posted the same point a few weeks ago - dead on).
When he made his "epiphany," a lot of people thought that John Kuhn was the lead back, or James Starks would be, or the Packers would be trading for a RB. :ptts:

THE FANTASY KING made a lot of people look foolish in this thread.
Umm, how is that?4 total TDs on the season. Averaging around 70 yards per game. This is not a breakout player, he's RB 3 most weeks, RB2 some. He's not a steal or anything of the sort. He had a good game but that's just one game, it doesn't validate the self-proclaimed "king"'s initial post at all.

Umm, how is that?4 total TDs on the season. Averaging around 70 yards per game. This is not a breakout player, he's RB 3 most weeks, RB2 some. He's not a steal or anything of the sort. He had a good game but that's just one game, it doesn't validate the self-proclaimed "king"'s initial post at all.
He's the 19th best RB in my ppr leagues. He's hitting double-digit points a lot lately too. That's not bad.

He's the 19th best RB in my ppr leagues. He's hitting double-digit points a lot lately too. That's not bad.
In a 12 team league, that's lower tier RB 2, and only due to one 2TD game. Like I said, he's an RB3 with some RB2 weeks.TFK's initial post was basically that he's cheap, and might become the Packers main ball carrier. Now he might say by "main ball carrier" he simply meant the lead back in an RBBC. But given what the Packers "main ball carrier" has historically been, that would be disingenuous of him to claim that's all he meant.

Jackson isn't putting up numbers like Ryan Grant last time I checked, he's not on pace to rush for even 1,000 yards. And last game, Kuhn had equal carries and more yards.

I merely refute that he's made anyone look foolish. Frankly, his initial "call" was so watered down that he can now claim to have meant whatever he wants to make it look "right" when he never took a definite stand at all.

I think the reason for the failure of your site was all marketing. You see, you went with The Fantasy King. Big mistake. You should have gone with The Fantasy Wiz. Everybody knows that nobody beats The Wiz.

he's the main RB on a high powered offense, of course he;s going to get some points.

for his situation though, the guy puts up minimal points and is by NO MEANS a steal or stud.

he's just your average RB in a good situation. end of story

he's the main RB on a high powered offense, of course he;s going to get some points.for his situation though, the guy puts up minimal points and is by NO MEANS a steal or stud.he's just your average RB in a good situation. end of story
And those are.....bad?You just pretty much described Joseph Addai, and that dude damn near has a cult following around here.Jackson has value. He's just not near a RB1. In a PPR league, he's usually a mid-tier RB2 almost every week with the potential to be upper-end RB2 if he manages to find the EZ. Unless you were a guy that had to blow your entire FA nut on the guy, you've probably been pretty pleased with him if you had to play him. He's only really had one truly dog of a week. If there's an owner in your leagues that has gotten killed at RB I'd bet he'd happily take Jackson off your hands, though he may claim otherwise to try and devalue him.

I think the reason for the failure of your site was all marketing. You see, you went with The Fantasy King. Big mistake. You should have gone with The Fantasy Wiz. Everybody knows that nobody beats The Wiz.

Onto Jackson... in two (dynasty) leagues, I traded a better RB for WR help, but managed to get back Jackson in both to lessen my RB hit. Have to say, he's definitely helped - nothing spectacular, but he's been very startable. I don't think he's cheap at all - I know I'm not moving him for second rounders, etc.

Also, he seems to have gotten better as the season goes on, and he's capable of 100 yard games. Seems like every year there's a RB who rises up and leads a team through the fantasy playoffs. Is Jackson that guy this year? Maybe. They don't have anyone else, and it's not like he's been terrible. He'll keep getting the ball.

but at the time of my epiphany and this thread, most Posters around here thought that Brandon Jackson would not be the primary ball carrier for the Green Bay Packers as he would lose out to John Kuhn, James Starks, or even Marshawn Lynch
lynch was traded like 4 days before this thread.
I am not someone who likes to make things all about "me," but frankly, I was right.
doesnt seem that way to me.

he's the main RB on a high powered offense, of course he;s going to get some points.for his situation though, the guy puts up minimal points and is by NO MEANS a steal or stud.he's just your average RB in a good situation. end of story
You just pretty much described Joseph Addai, and that dude damn near has a cult following around here.
If by cult following you mean most people think he sucks, you'd be right. I've been the biggest Addai supporter, but I'm one of less than a handful of Addai supporters on this forum.But if you wanna compare Jackson to Addai, let me know next time Jackson scores double digit TDs, or rushes and receives over 100 yards in each category in a game.Then feel free to act like the crap Jackson is this year is even close to Addai.

But if you wanna compare Jackson to Addai, let me know next time Jackson scores double digit TDs, or rushes and receives over 100 yards in each category in a game.Then feel free to act like the crap Jackson is this year is even close to Addai.
everything I wanted to say and then some...

Wow, haters gonna hate.

TFK posted this thread before week 6. From week 6 to week 9, Brandon Jackson was the #11 fantasy RB. But please, don't let inconveniences like reality or facts get in the way of your otherwise well thought-out arguments. Clearly TFK was wrong, because RB11 is obviously no better than an RB3 with occasional low RB2 weeks thrown in for good measure.

FWIW, in week 6 Jackson was 26th, in week 7 he was 7th, in week 8 he was 28th, and in week 9 he was 11th. That's two weeks where he presented legit RB1 value, with two more weeks where he would have made a weak RB2/strong flex play. From the time the thread was started through today, I'd have to say this prediction qualifies as a "win". Still a lot of season to play out, but anyone pretending this was a dumb call is wrong, plain and simple.

Unless, of course, you want to badmouth him for getting shut out during his bye week.

Wow, haters gonna hate.TFK posted this thread before week 6. From week 6 to week 9, Brandon Jackson was the #11 fantasy RB. But please, don't let inconveniences like reality or facts get in the way of your otherwise well thought-out arguments. Clearly TFK was wrong, because RB11 is obviously no better than an RB3 with occasional low RB2 weeks thrown in for good measure.FWIW, in week 6 Jackson was 26th, in week 7 he was 7th, in week 8 he was 28th, and in week 9 he was 11th. That's two weeks where he presented legit RB1 value, with two more weeks where he would have made a weak RB2/strong flex play. From the time the thread was started through today, I'd have to say this prediction qualifies as a "win". Still a lot of season to play out, but anyone pretending this was a dumb call is wrong, plain and simple.Unless, of course, you want to badmouth him for getting shut out during his bye week.
Agreed. This was a very good call. Some people just don't want to let facts get in the way of a good reason to argue about something.

Wow, haters gonna hate.TFK posted this thread before week 6. From week 6 to week 9, Brandon Jackson was the #11 fantasy RB. But please, don't let inconveniences like reality or facts get in the way of your otherwise well thought-out arguments. Clearly TFK was wrong, because RB11 is obviously no better than an RB3 with occasional low RB2 weeks thrown in for good measure.FWIW, in week 6 Jackson was 26th, in week 7 he was 7th, in week 8 he was 28th, and in week 9 he was 11th. That's two weeks where he presented legit RB1 value, with two more weeks where he would have made a weak RB2/strong flex play. From the time the thread was started through today, I'd have to say this prediction qualifies as a "win". Still a lot of season to play out, but anyone pretending this was a dumb call is wrong, plain and simple.Unless, of course, you want to badmouth him for getting shut out during his bye week.
:sadbanana: it's hilarious to see people still saying he's not even worth a roster spot and is a RB3 at best. Maybe most on here play in 4 team leagues, but in any league with 12+ teams he has been very startable the past month.

Yes, of course two good games in his last 4 definitely outweighs everything else. Lol. What were his other games like, or do they not count? Just because they were before TFK's "call" doesn't mean they didn't happen.Last time I looked, in a 12 team league, 26 & 28 are RB 3 level. Unless you think he's more likely to be 7 & 11 on a weekly basis, then you're pissing into the wind.

Yes, of course two good games in his last 4 definitely outweighs everything else. Lol. What were his other games like, or do they not count? Just because they were before TFK's "call" doesn't mean they didn't happen.
TFK made a call that Jackson was going to be much more valuable than he was at the time of the call. He has been. It's perfectly reasonable to look at his performance since the call was made to assess the value of the call. I'm not sure if you're always like this or just being intentionally dense here because you're so obviously wrong, but either way, you should probably stop.

I don't think many are doubting where Jackson is...but his statement that it was the last time to get him cheap was flat out wrong.

Since we're debating how "great" TFK's "call" was, let's actually review that call...

Jackson has had a tumultuous 2010. There was some positive pre-season buzz about him, then of course, the Grant injury. He was, for good reason, the top of the FBG waiver wire pick up list for that week, and he has been disappointing owners ever since.

I strongly feel that Jackson is going to see a steady increase in value for the rest of the season and he will evolve into the main ball carrier for Green Bay.

Since I have already wasted bandwidth with my unnecessary backstory I will just provide a list:

1. The NFL trade deadline is almost upon us, after which any hope/thought that people have that maybe Green Bay will be trading for a RB (something I thought was extremely unlikely anyway) will be gone. The Packers, quite obviously, are standing pat with what they have.

2. The Rodgers concussion is a factor too, I think. Much has been said about the Packers' almost criminal neglect of the running game, and Rodgers has been paying the price for it along with Green Bay's subpar pass protection. Obviously Rodgers was injured in OT, so not saying he got hit because of a lack of a running game, but I think this injury will bring into focus the fact that the Packers simply cannot get by with 12-14 running players per game. It puts their inadequate offensive line and thus their franchise quarterback under too much pressure.

3. Jackson has some ability. A lot of people, many of them Packer fans, are quick to say that Jackson stinks, but I think he is definitely good enough to produce in this very favorable situation. And it is not just about his 71 yard run last week or about stats, watching him, I have felt that when he was not met in the backfield by 2-3 tacklers, he has shown an acceptable level of burst and a little wiggle. He is not Chris Johnson, but I think the main thing holding Jackson back has been under-use and on some plays, poor blocking. I expect the former to change.

4. Jackson does not have a lot of competition. People who are thinking Starks, who has not played football since 2008, will come in and produce and be trusted to pass protect are dreaming my opinion. Grab him in dynasty leagues by all means, but not in redraft. Kuhn would not be a name fantasy owners would even know if the Packers had a remotely talented 3rd RB on their team, and I believe his use has and will conetinue to be marginalized.

5. He is cheap, if not a free agent in many leagues. If I am wrong, I am just costing you a roster spot. If you grab him, and nothing changes over the next 2 weeks or so, then drop him. I am not advocating buying Jackson for the long-term or trading something of value for him - I just think his upside and situation is being unfairly dismissed because he was so disappointing that first week after owners ran to the waiver wire to pick him up. Many of the reasons you did that are still valid.
So let's get this straight. There are only a few points of interest in this entire post:1 - Jackson's value would increase from basically zero. Spot on, but not really much of a call, as he had nowhere to go up.

2 - The Packers were going to start running more than 12-14 times per game, hence Jackson would see a great increase in carries. Jackson has rarely seen more than 12-14 carries per game. Wrong.

3 - Jackson has just a week prior broken off a 71 yard run. Hence, this wasn't even much of a call, as Jackson's value had already started to rise. So no real call here.

4 - His competition (Kuhn) will be totally phased out. Wrong.

5 - TFK wasn't even suggesting Jackson was a good pickup, merely that he had more upside than he assumed many thought. So no real call here.

This can be boiled down into one sentence. "Brandon Jackson isn't totally worthless, in fact the Packers might run the ball more an he could see more than 12-14 carries per game thus increasing his value, so if you have a free spot on your roster grab him, but not if you have to get rid of a player with any value." - yeah, a bit of a run on sentence.

But what it boils down to is really no call at all. People had already added Jackson as a FA when Grant went down. He was disappointing, but most had emptied their FA dollars on him, and weren't going to just dump him. Even with how he's performed over the last 4 weeks, it's doubtful those owners feel he's worth what they paid to acquire him, and quite possible he hasn't even been played at all in the last 4 games he was available.

So, TFK, if your call was - Don't totally ignore Brandon Jackson just because he sucks. Kudos to you. :lmao:

About the only real statements you made in that were a) assuming Jackson would see more than 12-14 carries regularly, and b) that Kuhn would be phased out of the rotation. Neither of which are true.

Jackson's value hasn't steadily increased, it's probably not higher now than when you posted this, as he had just broken off the 71 yard run. In fact it's arguable his value DECREASED after you posted this, then increased, then decreased, then increased, etc.

The funniest thing, is that when it all boils down - you didn't really make much of a call - regardless of how Jackson does. Heck, you said, don't trade anything of value for him - so if he totally blows up as awesome, your suggestion is bad.

But you did get 5+ pages of attention, which is I'm sure your intention. :thumbup:

Yes, of course two good games in his last 4 definitely outweighs everything else. Lol. What were his other games like, or do they not count? Just because they were before TFK's "call" doesn't mean they didn't happen.
TFK made a call that Jackson was going to be much more valuable than he was at the time of the call. He has been.
Actually, when TFK posted his OP, Jackson had just broken off a 71 yard run the week prior, and looked like he had "figured it out". His value was probably about the same as it is now.

switz said:
The Comedian said:
TFK made a call that Jackson was going to be much more valuable than he was at the time of the call. He has been.
Actually, when TFK posted his OP, Jackson had just broken off a 71 yard run the week prior, and looked like he had "figured it out". His value was probably about the same as it is now.
Actually, in non-PPR (which most of us play) his value has actually gone down since the original post. The OP was after his 115 rushing yard game (the only game over 63 yards rushing the entire season). His value was likely higher then then it is now. Actually, I'm shocked at SSOG and his misrepresentation of weekly rankings. Especially in regards to Jackson's week 9, "11th RB" ranking, because what is being conveniently left out of such an argument is that 6 teams were on a bye - as were their RBs (Steven Jackson, Frank Gore, Knoshown Moreno, MJD, Chris Johnson and Ryan Torain). So yes, in some sense, he was a viable bye week filler - which is really all an RB3 is. So in a 5 week span since the OP (and yes, the fact that his bye week was still upcoming while other RBs had already had theirs DOES count agianst his value), he was startable twice...maybe....and only if you happened to pick week 7 and week 9. Since on week 7, he was up against the Vikings, who are a top 10 rush defense, you likely didn't even play him unless you had no other choice. Sorry, maybe 1 week out of 5 with good numbers, with the rest being a disappointment or unplayable (due to bye or tough matchup) you count as a "win" - I don't. And the case in point that the OP was inccorect is that you can likely get him cheaper now than you would have after the 115 yard rushing game. Why? Because any intelligent owner knows (which SSOG has pointed out countless times) that TD's are unpredictable. His production apart from the sporadic TD is weak at best. People are pointing to the "trend" in increased carries (which, in case no one noticed, stopped going up) - how about this trend? 4.5, 3.7, 3.2 - that's his YPC average over his last 3 games. Another thing aside from continued mediocrity that drives his value down is his schedule. Over the next 3 weeks, he plays 3 top 10 run defenses. Depending on when your playoffs fall, these are BJack's games weeks 14-17:14) @ Detroit (wOOt! a good matchup...except that he went 9-33 rushing in their first matchup)15) @ NE (18)16) NYG (3)17) CHI (2)His value hasn't gone up...it's gone down. And as he continues to be unreliable and a bye-week fill in or emergency RB only (which is the very definition of RB3) and the season grinds toward the playoffs and away from bye weeks, his value actually sinks even lower. He has had value and was startable 1 week out of the 5 since the OP. If you had been able to find someone to "buy" after his week 9 "explosion" (against a Dallas team that many thought had given up on the season) - you may have lucked out. Otherwise, you're holding what you always had since week 1 - a bye week filler who is good for about 50-60 yards on the ground and 2-3 receptions a game with an occasional TD thrown in randomly.I would suggest, that if you still have BJax on your roster and your trade deadline hasn't already passed, this might be the last time to sell him for anything worth having - someone might buy for that week 14 at Detroit.

Wow, haters gonna hate.

TFK posted this thread before week 6. From week 6 to week 9, Brandon Jackson was the #11 fantasy RB. But please, don't let inconveniences like reality or facts get in the way of your otherwise well thought-out arguments. Clearly TFK was wrong, because RB11 is obviously no better than an RB3 with occasional low RB2 weeks thrown in for good measure.

FWIW, in week 6 Jackson was 26th, in week 7 he was 7th, in week 8 he was 28th, and in week 9 he was 11th. That's two weeks where he presented legit RB1 value, with two more weeks where he would have made a weak RB2/strong flex play. From the time the thread was started through today, I'd have to say this prediction qualifies as a "win". Still a lot of season to play out, but anyone pretending this was a dumb call is wrong, plain and simple.Unless, of course, you want to badmouth him for getting shut out during his bye week.
Technically correct, not a dumb call. But as Switz pointed out, if you examine what he actually said, this wasn't much of a call at all, essentially saying Jackson might be undervalued (but TFK even qualified that by saying. "I am not advocating buying Jackson for the long-term or trading something of value for him").The problem I have with this and other TFK posts is that the guy is acting like he is something akin to The Oracle at Delphi, but if you look at what he actually says it is never that far away from the conventional wisdom, at least not enough to be the profound observation that it purports to be. I will respect this self proclaimed monarch when I start seeing some gutsy uneqivocal calls that actually turn out to be true - until then these posts to me all smack of some sort of shameless self-promotion.

I don't think many are doubting where Jackson is...but his statement that it was the last time to get him cheap was flat out wrong.
Depends on your league. I know his price has essentially tripled in most of my leagues (from a step above nothing to three steps above nothing). You couldn't get him today for anywhere nearly as cheaply as you could have after week 5. Which isn't to say that you couldn't still get him for cheap, it's to say that you couldn't get him for AS cheap.

Last time I looked, in a 12 team league, 26 & 28 are RB 3 level. Unless you think he's more likely to be 7 & 11 on a weekly basis, then you're pissing into the wind.
Have there been 24 RBs that have been more consistent or productive since this thread was started? Because if not, BJax has performed at an RB2 level. Period, full stop, good call, end of thread.
So let's get this straight. There are only a few points of interest in this entire post:

1 - Jackson's value would increase from basically zero. Spot on, but not really much of a call, as he had nowhere to go up.

2 - The Packers were going to start running more than 12-14 times per game, hence Jackson would see a great increase in carries. Jackson has rarely seen more than 12-14 carries per game. Wrong.

3 - Jackson has just a week prior broken off a 71 yard run. Hence, this wasn't even much of a call, as Jackson's value had already started to rise. So no real call here.

4 - His competition (Kuhn) will be totally phased out. Wrong.

5 - TFK wasn't even suggesting Jackson was a good pickup, merely that he had more upside than he assumed many thought. So no real call here.
1. Holy revisionist history, Batman! If it wasn't much of a call, then why was everyone debating against it? Poster made statement, everyone disagreed, poster was right. Good call.2. Packers before thread: 22.6 rushes per game. Packers after thread: 26.2 rushes per game. That's an increase in carries. Not a huge one, but still an increase, which makes this call correct (albeit only barely).

3. Read the thread again. Read how many people were calling Jackson garbage who wouldn't amount to anything. Tell me again with a straight face that his value had increased. Good call.

4. You're right, Kuhn hasn't been marginalized, but give me a break. A call can be correct even if not every reason behind that call was correct.

5. What? TFK said that this was a good time to pick up Jackson cheap/free, and you're saying that he wasn't saying this was a good time to pick up Jackson cheap/free? He said that Jackson wasn't a good long-term option (which I assume was supposed to apply to dynasty leagues beyond this season, as he even said later in the thread that "This is not a recipe for dynasty value, but I believe it is for 2010 value."), and that he wouldn't give up a valuable asset to get him... but isn't "don't give up a valuable asset" the exact same thing as "get him cheap/free"? If you give up a valuable asset, then you aren't getting him cheap/free, now are you?

Actually, in non-PPR (which most of us play) his value has actually gone down since the original post. The OP was after his 115 rushing yard game (the only game over 63 yards rushing the entire season). His value was likely higher then then it is now.

Actually, I'm shocked at SSOG and his misrepresentation of weekly rankings. Especially in regards to Jackson's week 9, "11th RB" ranking, because what is being conveniently left out of such an argument is that 6 teams were on a bye - as were their RBs (Steven Jackson, Frank Gore, Knoshown Moreno, MJD, Chris Johnson and Ryan Torain). So yes, in some sense, he was a viable bye week filler - which is really all an RB3 is.

So in a 5 week span since the OP (and yes, the fact that his bye week was still upcoming while other RBs had already had theirs DOES count agianst his value), he was startable twice...maybe....and only if you happened to pick week 7 and week 9. Since on week 7, he was up against the Vikings, who are a top 10 rush defense, you likely didn't even play him unless you had no other choice.

Sorry, maybe 1 week out of 5 with good numbers, with the rest being a disappointment or unplayable (due to bye or tough matchup) you count as a "win" - I don't.

And the case in point that the OP was inccorect is that you can likely get him cheaper now than you would have after the 115 yard rushing game. Why? Because any intelligent owner knows (which SSOG has pointed out countless times) that TD's are unpredictable. His production apart from the sporadic TD is weak at best. People are pointing to the "trend" in increased carries (which, in case no one noticed, stopped going up) - how about this trend? 4.5, 3.7, 3.2 - that's his YPC average over his last 3 games.

Another thing aside from continued mediocrity that drives his value down is his schedule. Over the next 3 weeks, he plays 3 top 10 run defenses. Depending on when your playoffs fall, these are BJack's games weeks 14-17:

14) @ Detroit (wOOt! a good matchup...except that he went 9-33 rushing in their first matchup)

15) @ NE (18)

16) NYG (3)

17) CHI (2)

His value hasn't gone up...it's gone down. And as he continues to be unreliable and a bye-week fill in or emergency RB only (which is the very definition of RB3) and the season grinds toward the playoffs and away from bye weeks, his value actually sinks even lower. He has had value and was startable 1 week out of the 5 since the OP. If you had been able to find someone to "buy" after his week 9 "explosion" (against a Dallas team that many thought had given up on the season) - you may have lucked out. Otherwise, you're holding what you always had since week 1 - a bye week filler who is good for about 50-60 yards on the ground and 2-3 receptions a game with an occasional TD thrown in randomly.

I would suggest, that if you still have BJax on your roster and your trade deadline hasn't already passed, this might be the last time to sell him for anything worth having - someone might buy for that week 14 at Detroit.
Yes, a lot of RBs were on bye on week 9. Does that somehow magically change the fact that only 10 RBs in the entire NFL managed to outscore Jackson that week? If you started Jackson in week 9, you had an advantage over pretty much every team in the league, because your RB2 or flex guy put up top-12 numbers.Even if you want to hold his bye against him... despite the fact that he's only played in 4 of the past 5 weeks, he's been RB21 over that 5-week span, so he's still been performing at an RB2 level. And while you're absolutely right that TDs don't hold as much predictive value as yards, (A) this isn't about prediction, it's about description- we're looking at who ACTUALLY PERFORMED over the span, so it doesn't matter how predictive TDs are, and (B) Jackson only has 2 TDs over the last 5 weeks, anyway. There are 32 RBs with as many or more. That means that Brandon Jackson is outperforming a lot of those guys on the strength of his yards- he's averaging 81 yards per game over the last 5 weeks. In my yardage-heavy league (1 per 5 yards, 6 per TD, no PPR), he's 17th in PPG over the last 5 weeks.

Look, there's a lot of season left to play out, and this call could still go either way, but to date it has been a good call. Brandon Jackson's production over the last 5 weeks has greatly outstripped his value as of 5 weeks ago. And suggesting that his value has gone down since then, or that it was high because he had a long run, that's all nonsense. Go read this thread again to get an idea of what Brandon Jackson's value was 5 weeks ago. Speaking as a Brandon Jackson owner, the cost to acquire him right now is higher than it was 5 weeks ago. It's not HIGH, but 5 weeks ago I would have sold him for a song.

Technically correct, not a dumb call. But as Switz pointed out, if you examine what he actually said, this wasn't much of a call at all, essentially saying Jackson might be undervalued (but TFK even qualified that by saying. "I am not advocating buying Jackson for the long-term or trading something of value for him").

The problem I have with this and other TFK posts is that the guy is acting like he is something akin to The Oracle at Delphi, but if you look at what he actually says it is never that far away from the conventional wisdom, at least not enough to be the profund observation that it purports to be. I will respect this self proclaimed monarch when I start seeing some gutsy uneqivocal calls that actually turn out to be true - until then these posts to me all smack of some sort of shameless self-promotion.
Hey, you want to hate on TFK for being obnoxious, arrogant, or obtuse, then be my guest, because I'm right there with you. If you want to hate on him for being wrong... well, that's another matter entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread