What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Last Minute LIGHTNING BOLTS!!! Pre-Week 8 edition..... (1 Viewer)

TZMarkie

Footballguy
PLEASE NOTE - This thread is generally geared for redraft leagues, or low numbered keeper leagues.

Shoutout to Daylight  and his "2017 RB LOTTO TICKET RANKINGS" which is here ---->  https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/759610-2017-rb-lotto-ticket-rankings/

His thread might be the best running source of continually updated RB information I have seen.  Everyone should go there, for weekly tracking and opinions on who the next big "grab" will be. Invariably this "Last Minute Lightning Bolt" pickups, will also include some RBs as well.

There are endless different "sleeper" or hype threads, but the point of this, is to essentially.... TAKE A CHANCE.  A stab in the dark, last minute before the waivers lock.  That one end of bench spot you have a "droppable bum" on..... head to the waiver wire, and take a complete shot in the dark. Basically gamble on a circumstantial change to a team. (I never like to see anyone injured, but lets face it, its part of our game guys) Injury plays a major role in this. So while I am not in the business of forecasting injuries, this thread is essentially a "lets take a chance on this guy". You snag a guy on a wild gamble, if someone gets hurt, then you may have gotten lucky at the last minute....if he misses or doesn't pan out, you have only  tied up that last end of bench spot, that is likely saved for a guy that will never crack your lineup to boot. These guys are often the handcuffs, that are flying under the radar.  Secondary or tertiary guys, that if you snag last minute, and something happens, they may pan out for a week or two, or in rare cases they may help rest-of-season.

I entitled this thread "LAST MINUTE LIGHTNING BOLTS" as in the past I used to post it within the last couple of hours pre-kickoff. Last year on another site, I did it several times, within the last hour, even 30 minutes before the games begin.

Previous installments of this thread are here....   https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/761638-last-minute-lightning-bolts-pre-week-6-edition/#comment-20520046

And here....   https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/761058-last-minute-lightning-bolts-pre-week-4-edition/#comment-20476037

It is important that we realize, for the most part these grabs often  don't "materialize". These might be a true shot in the dark, and most are not long term plays. But the point is, this is how you possibly nab someone right before they blow up.  In the event one of these guys "hits", it may well be a true season changer. In fact, it only takes one, and especially in the case of a bellcow RB before he breaks out if you happen to get him before everyone else, it can often save your week, and possibly save your season and help you in a playoff or championship run.

Below, are a few I am taking a chance on. (and a few other guys I know looking for a hail Mary play)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARQUISE GOODWIN - Owned in a mere 6% of Yahoo leagues, here is a guy that is most certainly on your waiver wire. His lack of touchdowns this season have kept him away from the spotlight, and out of the public eye. But get this, in the last 3 weeks he has had a WHOPPING 24 TARGETS.   I think its important we also realize not only will weather be a factor today, but Goodwin was dinged up this week, and missed a practice or two, only to get in a "limited" practice late week. He may or may not actually have a good day, but this could be one of the best "little risk/highest upside" free picks of the season. CJ Beathard   started and took over the QB job in week 6, and he targeted Goodwin 5 and 8 times in weeks 6 and 7.  He is the 2nd most targeted wide out behind Pierre Garcon there, and barring a slew of dumpoff short passes to Garcon in week 6, their target share has been similar.  Not only will SF continue to be behind and throwing, Goodwin looks like a key piece in this offense, and he may well be the #1 WR , or possibly a 1b to Pierre Garcon being 1A.  This is a chance to get him free of charge before waivers lock at gametime.  He has great upside, and is essentially FREE OF CHARGE right now and is therefor the taking. The upside is definitely worth a chance, and the way wide outs have been getting injured this season, how can you not take a chance here. As Beathard gets more comfortable, Goodwin may well turn into his favorite target, or slightly behind Garcon.

MALCOLM BROWN - You likely can wait a week on this one. The Rams are on bye, and here is another thats staying just under the noses of everyone.  TODD GURLEY has been a workhorse, and has been getting it done for owners. In fact Brown has seen very little action whatsoever. He got a handful of carries week 1 and a TD, and in a 33-0 blowout last week against the AZ Cardinals, he resurfaced yet again and peeled off an 11 for 48 line, and he added 1 target that he turned into a reception as well. As of now, he is only showing up in blowouts, but looks to be second in command, and will take over in the event of something happening to Gurley. HE IS 0% OWNED IN YAHOO LEAGUES. For those that believe in handcuffs, its starting to look like a good scenario to acquire him. Not only is it getting later in the season (as the RBs on the wire dry up) but even though the schedule isn't a great one, he may well be in line for a very strong workload in the event of a Gurley injury.  I have Gurley in one league, and he is a mandatory add this week for me.  Get him now (or next week pre-game since they are on bye) while he is free.  Here is yet another snag that is absolutely free, and the upside is massive if things fall right for him.

CHARLES CLAY - A few people have forgotten how good Clay was early this season. In weeks 2-3-4, he caught 14 of 16 targets, turning into what is basically the Bills "best receiver", if you want to call it that.  A knee scope sidelined him, and he isn't back yet, but looks like he may return next week/week 9.   Once he starts practicing again (likely this week late) all the sites and articles will say to pick him up. He is only owned in 14% of Yahoo leagues , beat everyone to the punch, save your weekly waiver priority and grab him now before the waivers lock at game time.  The tight end production this year has been just abysmal. Here is a chance to get some free low end TE1 production off the wire, you may just have to wait a week or so before he comes back. Please note - He has had knee issues his entire career, it is a possibility he needs an extra week or two before he returns. Once he does, he will go right back to essentially being Tyrod Taylor's favorite target.

AUSTIN EKELER -  Well , MELVIN GORDON is listed as "questionable", but should play today.  He often plays through it when he is nicked up.  But EKELER still up a "solid" 7 for 38 yards last week, and also caught 4 of 4 targets and one was for a goal line TD.  I don't see him as taking over, nothing of the sort, but this looks more like a potential handcuff scenario, or a speculative add "in case of injury" or in the wild case that Gordon sits today. He certainly looks like he has passed Branden Oliver.    If the weather is bad in New England like they say it may be, he may get "slightly" more work, if the Chargers run more than usual. He is only owned in 4% of Yahoo leagues , and should be an easy stash,  and it should be automatic for Gordon owners.

THOMAS RAWLS - Sitting at 18% owned in Yahoo leagues , Rawls (and the majority of the Seahawks backfield) have seemingly been given up for dead. Truth is, neither Rawls or Lacy either one look like they have shown much of anything, and they seem to have a fairly even split.  I can't help but think Pete Carroll and the Seahawks are looking for someone to emerge. They have seemingly given touches to a half dozen people, and they have all either stunk or gotten hurt. Rawls had 11 touches last week and Lacy got 11 as well.  Neither did much, but Lacy has had over 30 touches in the last 3 weeks, and its been nothing but garbage the entire time.  After missing weeks 3 and 4,  this reeks of giving Rawls "a chance to emerge".  I'm not banking on it, but he may well be worth a speculative add pre-game.  If he looks good for a change, the Seahawks have no problems leaning on one back and giving one the majority of the work.  If you snag him pre-game , and he has a bi day, everyone will be running to acquire him, and you will have beaten them to the punch.  If he sucks yet again, you can always toss him back on the wire and let someone else deal with that headache.

NOTE - Much of the same arguments could also be said for Eddie Lacy.  But its looking more and more like Lacy is a lost cause. Simply put, his chances have to be running out at some point. 

HONORABLE MENTIONS - MIKE TOLBERT - He is running on fumes at 31 (about to be 32 I believe). And he will never be a speed factor between the 20s, but they have no issues giving him work around the goal line. Surprisingly (and quietly) enough, he actually got 31 carries between weeks 1-3-4. If Shady goes down, he WILL be used.  But you will need him to score to put up any big lines, and he will be relied upon around the stripe, in the event of a Shady injury. 2% OWNED ON YAHOO.

D'ONTA FOREMAN - 12 for 59 against a strong Cleveland run defense in week 6.

MATT BREIDA - Merely a high upside handcuff....but the sky is the limit if Hyde goes down or is traded.

DEONTE THOMPSON - New addition in Buffalo.  One game, but a solid 4 for 4 and 107 yards.  Is this Tyrod's newest play toy or possibly his #1 WR moving forward???? 5% OWNED ON YAHOO.

Who you got boys......?

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
re: Malcolm Brown 

Lance Dunbar will be returning next week, and McVay sought him out to be the third down/c.o.p. option in that offense, referring to his role as being akin to that of Chris Thompson's (McVay came over from D.C.)

not saying he would assume lead back duties in the event of Gurley missing time, but he sure as hell would cut in to Brown's usage ... also of note to Gurley owners, inasmuch that the load for him (Gurley) may be lessened just a bit with Dunbar available for passing game work going forward, keeping the top dog a bit fresher for the stretch run to the playoffs.  btw, no knock on Gurley's usage/output thus far, he's absolutely killed it on all three downs, and in every facet of the passing game.  

but, McVay bought Dunbar in for a reason, we'll find out soon enough.

AUSTIN EKELER -  Well , MELVIN GORDON is listed as "questionable", but should play today.  He often plays through it when he is nicked up.  But EKELER still up a "solid" 7 for 38 yards last week, and also caught 4 of 4 targets and one was for a goal line TD.  I don't see him as taking over, nothing of the sort, but this looks more like a potential handcuff scenario, or a speculative add "in case of injury" or in the wild case that Gordon sits today. He certainly looks like he has passed Branden Oliver.    If the weather is bad in New England like they say it may be, he may get "slightly" more work, if the Chargers run more than usual. He is only owned in 4% of Yahoo leagues , and should be an easy stash,  and it should be automatic for Gordon owners.
Fantasy Football Week 8: Stefon Diggs expected to return, while Melvin Gordon set to play in latest injury report updates

The Chargers' Melvin Gordon (foot) is listed as questionable for Sunday's matchup against the Patriots but did turn in a full practice Friday to cap off the week. As was the case last week when he was nursing a shoulder injury, he's expected to play without limitations, as per early Sunday morning reports.

Users who are viewing this thread