What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (2 Viewers)

I posted once or twice in this thread early on that I was in, but refusing to weigh because it is counterproductive to my motivation. "Trust the process" I said. I began working out 60 straight days without days off, which turned into 5/7 over the summer because we travel each weekend. Typical workouts are 45 min bike, 75 pushups, arm curls, 2-3 sets of 90 second planks. Well, 8 months into what I considered huge progress eliminating belly fat and defining arm/pec muscle, I just had an annual physical. I'm a whopping 7 pounds lighter than my prior physical. :hot:   I know I have more muscle, but it's such a huge disappointment.  
How do you look?  How do you feel?  How is your strength/muscle tone?

7 pounds lighter is still ahead of where you were!!   

How do you look?  How do you feel?  How is your strength/muscle tone?

7 pounds lighter is still ahead of where you were!!   
I feel awesome and have received multiple compliments that I look in shape. Also, it was a very hands on 50th physical and the dr did make a comment "you have a lot of muscle mass, I wouldn't worry about the weight" (I'd expressed that the weigh in ruined my day). However, staring at a physical overview that says "overweight" and a BMI that probably puts me in a vaccine protected class is, well, flooring.

I feel awesome and have received multiple compliments that I look in shape. Also, it was a very hands on 50th physical and the dr did make a comment "you have a lot of muscle mass, I wouldn't worry about the weight" (I'd expressed that the weigh in ruined my day). However, staring at a physical overview that says "overweight" and a BMI that probably puts me in a vaccine protected class is, well, flooring.
Again, you made progress on multiple fronts.  Was it as much as you wanted?   No. 

So what do you want to do about it from here?   Lots of resources in here if you want to lose weight.  And keep it off.

Gotta say — as someone who has no trouble putting on fat, and lots of trouble putting on muscle, I’m envious of you!

Anybody in here give up dairy completely?  Watched a doc with my vegan wife two weeks ago and since then, have been off the cheese and all dairy, which isn't that hard.  I don't drink milk or creamer or ice cream and I prefer olive oil to butter.   But cheese was always my big weakness.  Give me a block of cheese, some Saltines and a summer sausage and I'm the happiest guy alive.  

So, I was dubious at first, but have stayed with it.  My digestion has improved, but I'm still not the waif I was in HS.  Hoping this has a longer term health benefit, but just curious if anybody here cut it out completely.

Cheers,
GM

Do you recall the name of the documentary?

So what do you want to do about it from here?   Lots of resources in here if you want to lose weight.  And keep it off.
I moved to black coffee immediately after the appt, which is significant change since I drink a pot with cream/sugar before noon every day.

I've not changed the types of food I eat at all, but I'm considering. During my last 'level setting' at age 40, I dropped 35 pounds jogging only without changing diet (beyond portion control). I don't view diet changes as sustainable, and actually think I eat healthy/light for breakfast and lunch already. I already avoid snacks, and eat almonds when I do. I already avoid alcohol other than socially - not in a dieting sense, it's just not part of my lifestyle. I drink nothing but water after noon. Honestly, if I need to measure ingredients, or mix tofu and kale into my diet to make this work, I'll just go buy a box of ho hos and accept my fate. It's a bridge too far for me.

Despite that weight loss when I was 40, the results didn't make me feel great. My body still looked like Phil Mickelson in the mirror, just the skinnier version (which, let's be honest, looks not much different from the overweight version). It's part of the reason I wanted to include abs/pecs/arms into this routine. I'll probably need to reconsider the trade off.

I chose biking this time around because the impact of running (knees/hips) was what ultimately ended staying on routine. There may be something about biking that's not getting me the same result, even though I'm clearly working up a great heart rate/sweat. Maybe I need to reconsider the bike.

I moved to black coffee immediately after the appt, which is significant change since I drink a pot with cream/sugar before noon every day.

I've not changed the types of food I eat at all, but I'm considering. During my last 'level setting' at age 40, I dropped 35 pounds jogging only without changing diet (beyond portion control). I don't view diet changes as sustainable, and actually think I eat healthy/light for breakfast and lunch already. I already avoid snacks, and eat almonds when I do. I already avoid alcohol other than socially - not in a dieting sense, it's just not part of my lifestyle. I drink nothing but water after noon. Honestly, if I need to measure ingredients, or mix tofu and kale into my diet to make this work, I'll just go buy a box of ho hos and accept my fate. It's a bridge too far for me.

Despite that weight loss when I was 40, the results didn't make me feel great. My body still looked like Phil Mickelson in the mirror, just the skinnier version (which, let's be honest, looks not much different from the overweight version). It's part of the reason I wanted to include abs/pecs/arms into this routine. I'll probably need to reconsider the trade off.

I chose biking this time around because the impact of running (knees/hips) was what ultimately ended staying on routine. There may be something about biking that's not getting me the same result, even though I'm clearly working up a great heart rate/sweat. Maybe I need to reconsider the bike.
If you have any advice/suggestions on the abs/pecs/arms routine, and are willing to PM, that’s the next phase I’ve been working on…..but it’s a struggle…..

Anyone doing noom? I’m reading up on it and it sounds nice. But do I need to spend $149 for 5 months? I have gone back up to 192, +2 from my low of 190. I May have gotten into a cookie dough habit. Anyway, what intrigued me about this noom is the behavior modification angle. I know why I’m fat. I’ve had 11 babies over 20 years and lived on mnms for most of that time. I’d like help with changing behaviors and understanding why I’m doing what I’m doing. But I’m pretty sure I know the answer is I’m lazy and addicted to sugar. So do I need to pay for that insight? 
I've done Noom and have had a good experience, although I think that's because it's a good fit with my personality and habits. (My wife tried it and didn't have nearly as good results).

I don't know what their current pricing structure is, but at the time I started I think it was two weeks free and then $50/month. The part that provided the most value to me was the food diary. Now, there are tons of food-tracking apps, many of them free (more on that in a second), but what I like about Noom is their green-yellow-red classification system. I found that if I focus on total calories and red calories, I get the best results. (The one downside is that you can only enter food via the mobile app; sometimes I really would have preferred to have a desktop interface.) But in general, I've become a huge believer in food diaries. It used to be something I could only do for a short period, like a week at a time. Now, I can see myself doing it every day for the rest of my life.

I found the behavioral articles helpful ... for awhile. The first time I did Noom, I felt after a few months like I had pretty much gone through all the useful articles and they were scraping the bottom of the barrel. But prior to that point they fit well with my style. It was less about the specific assignments as it was making me think about my behaviors and reflect on changes I could make.

The parts I never found particularly helpful were the coaching and group chat. Just didn't work for me. Weight loss to me isn't a social activity; I'm someone who could never in a million years imagine going to an in-person Weight Watchers meeting.

Anyway, I did it the first time from January 2019 until around August. The results were great; I lost more than 15 lbs during that time. At that point I stopped paying and used another food tracking app, but my weight loss stalled and then started creeping back up. So the following January I started it again, but after a couple months I decided the articles were no longer helpful (they were mostly just repeats of what I had done the year before). But -- and this is the key part -- at that point I realized that the only feature that I wanted to keep using, the food diary, was completely free!

So that's what I've been doing for the past year and a half. I've lost an additional 17 lbs, and I haven't had to pay anything. (A lot of the weight loss is due to behavioral changes I made during the pandemic, which is a whole other post).

TLDR: If you can get a free trial, try it out for a little while and see if it fits your style. If it does, pay until you no longer find it useful. It's not for everyone, but if it is I think it can help develop some good lifetime habits.

I've done Noom and have had a good experience, although I think that's because it's a good fit with my personality and habits. (My wife tried it and didn't have nearly as good results).

I don't know what their current pricing structure is, but at the time I started I think it was two weeks free and then $50/month. The part that provided the most value to me was the food diary. Now, there are tons of food-tracking apps, many of them free (more on that in a second), but what I like about Noom is their green-yellow-red classification system. I found that if I focus on total calories and red calories, I get the best results. (The one downside is that you can only enter food via the mobile app; sometimes I really would have preferred to have a desktop interface.) But in general, I've become a huge believer in food diaries. It used to be something I could only do for a short period, like a week at a time. Now, I can see myself doing it every day for the rest of my life.

I found the behavioral articles helpful ... for awhile. The first time I did Noom, I felt after a few months like I had pretty much gone through all the useful articles and they were scraping the bottom of the barrel. But prior to that point they fit well with my style. It was less about the specific assignments as it was making me think about my behaviors and reflect on changes I could make.

The parts I never found particularly helpful were the coaching and group chat. Just didn't work for me. Weight loss to me isn't a social activity; I'm someone who could never in a million years imagine going to an in-person Weight Watchers meeting.

Anyway, I did it the first time from January 2019 until around August. The results were great; I lost more than 15 lbs during that time. At that point I stopped paying and used another food tracking app, but my weight loss stalled and then started creeping back up. So the following January I started it again, but after a couple months I decided the articles were no longer helpful (they were mostly just repeats of what I had done the year before). But -- and this is the key part -- at that point I realized that the only feature that I wanted to keep using, the food diary, was completely free!

So that's what I've been doing for the past year and a half. I've lost an additional 17 lbs, and I haven't had to pay anything. (A lot of the weight loss is due to behavioral changes I made during the pandemic, which is a whole other post).

TLDR: If you can get a free trial, try it out for a little while and see if it fits your style. If it does, pay until you no longer find it useful. It's not for everyone, but if it is I think it can help develop some good lifetime habits.
Tell me about your behavioral changes. 

If you have any advice/suggestions on the abs/pecs/arms routine, and are willing to PM, that’s the next phase I’ve been working on…..but it’s a struggle…..
Foundation first - back, ###, and thighs. Gotta build that before the house. But mid section is almost all diet. If you're unwilling to execute a consistent, disciplined diet then you're not gonna see much in the way of abs.

So I had my doctor's appointment today.  It's been about seven weeks I believe.  Everything has gone really well.  He was almost in shock that I dropped thirty five pounds. He gave me the test scores.  I'm not sure what it all means, but maybe you guys do.  

AIC 5.6.  I believe he said it was 6.7 last time.  He didn't write that down though.  

Cholesterol was 232, now 207.  

Triglyceride was 197, now 151.

HDL was 40, now 33.

LDL Chol Calculated was 153, now 144

Glucose now 126H

Protein 30ab

Everything in all the other tests were in normal range.  

Do we have any Docs in the thread to translate all this.  Mine said it was all good news.

So I had my doctor's appointment today.  It's been about seven weeks I believe.  Everything has gone really well.  He was almost in shock that I dropped thirty five pounds. He gave me the test scores.  I'm not sure what it all means, but maybe you guys do.  

AIC 5.6.  I believe he said it was 6.7 last time.  He didn't write that down though.  

HDL was 40, now 33.

Glucose now 126H

Protein 30ab

Do we have any Docs in the thread to translate all this.  Mine said it was all good news.
:goodposting:

I'd be interested also if there is anything to glean from these in terms of +weight loss/dietary changes. I have similar indecipherable results and all I got was "Your lab results are all normal." As FYI- I think you want HDL where you had it if my worksheet is accurate (should be >= 40).

General Malaise said:
Anybody in here give up dairy completely?  Watched a doc with my vegan wife two weeks ago and since then, have been off the cheese and all dairy, which isn't that hard.  I don't drink milk or creamer or ice cream and I prefer olive oil to butter.   But cheese was always my big weakness.  Give me a block of cheese, some Saltines and a summer sausage and I'm the happiest guy alive.  

So, I was dubious at first, but have stayed with it.  My digestion has improved, but I'm still not the waif I was in HS.  Hoping this has a longer term health benefit, but just curious if anybody here cut it out completely.

Cheers,
GM
Were you having digestion issues or was this more just general health?

HDL was 40, now 33.

Glucose now 126H

Protein 30ab

I’m not a doctor but those all look decent except maybe glucose is high - I think you want that under 100.  Your HDL going down isn’t great, I think 40 is pretty good, 33 average maybe?  

ETA - let me emphasize that I’m going from memory.  Did you get any paperwork or have some online?  It will usually shows ranges you should shoot for.

Last edited by a moderator:

HDL was 40, now 33.

Glucose now 126H

Protein 30ab

👍🏼 

Since I just had labs:

Cholesterol <200
Triglycerides <150
HDL >40
LDL <100
Glucose <100

Those are the scores for the high side of normal. 

Were you having digestion issues or was this more just general health?

Some dietary issues but more general health.  Cheese was a huge problem for me.  I love it and was overeating it.  Put it on and in just about everything.  Midnight snack?  Hunk of cheese and some sort cured meat or salty snack.  Has to have contributed to cholesterol, weight and other issues I've had.  I mean......I ate a lot of cheese. 

Plus, that doc I watched opened my eyes. Dairy is a huge problem - beyond being unethical, it's a large cause of our environmental erosion and our bodies are not designed to ingest cow milk and related products.  

Off my soap box now.   Happy to report back if I see any changes.  I need to lose weight, lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, etc.  I think beer is a bigger problem, but I'm not giving that up.  Yet.  Baby steps.  Dairy first, red meat and nitrates next.  Eventually chicken so I'm left with fish and veggies.  I walk 5-7 miles a day so steady exercise but nothing extreme.  

General Malaise said:
What the Health
Not to rain on the parade, but pretty much that entire “doc” has been debunked. It’s pretty much nonsense. 

and this is from someone who is very anti milk. I do think there is a case to be made, but it’s not that supposed documentary 

@The Dreaded Marcohow do those above test scores look?
The average age of patients I’ve treated over the past 28 years is 33 months so I don’t often address the medical issues you are asking about. 

That being said, the trend in your numbers look pretty good to me. I’m following the same tests for myself!

I recommend that you ask your own physician who ordered those tests for a formal medical opinion and advice about your personal situation. 

The average age of patients I’ve treated over the past 28 years is 33 months so I don’t often address the medical issues you are asking about. 

That being said, the trend in your numbers look pretty good to me. I’m following the same tests for myself!

I recommend that you ask your own physician who ordered those tests for a formal medical opinion and advice about your personal situation. 
He said I was doing great.  But he's not a FBG.

Not to rain on the parade, but pretty much that entire “doc” has been debunked. It’s pretty much nonsense. 

and this is from someone who is very anti milk. I do think there is a case to be made, but it’s not that supposed documentary 

You're the guy that told @John Bender NOT to buy a home in 2015, right?  That you?  https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/585126-personal-finance-advice-and-education/page/9/

Might have been the dumbest single piece of advice ever given on this board.  Nobody should ever listen to you about anything.  Debunk that.  

Might have been the dumbest single piece of advice ever given on this board.  
let's not get carried away now... 😉

You seem to be taking this personally GB, I am not sure why.  

For anyone who hasn't seen the doc, these are some of the claims put forth

• Eating processed meats is as bad for you as smoking
  • Eating an egg a day is as bad as smoking five cigarettes
  • Drinking milk causes cancer.
  • One serving of processed meats per day raises the risk of diabetes by 51 percent.
  • Fish are toxic.
  • Five to 10 percent of cancer is caused by genetics, and the rest is caused by food.
One article that I think does a good job speaking to these claims

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/25/16018658/what-the-health-documentary-review-vegan-diet

Like I say, I am aligned with the general principles of the doc (less dairy, get rid of milk consumption, eating vegetarian is much better for you), but I am against biased docs like this that take a good idea and twisting it.  Seapsiracy is another example.  Lots of good points in it, but extremely biased and unfair reporting and approach.

One man's opinion  :2cents:

• One serving of processed meats per day raises the risk of diabetes by 51 percent.
  • Fish are toxic.
  • Five to 10 percent of cancer is caused by genetics, and the rest is caused by food.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/25/16018658/what-the-health-documentary-review-vegan-diet

Like I say, I am aligned with the general principles of the doc (less dairy, get rid of milk consumption, eating vegetarian is much better for you), but I am against biased docs like this that take a good idea and twisting it.  Seapsiracy is another example.  Lots of good points in it, but extremely biased and unfair reporting and approach.

Just pointing out that your opinion can and has been incredibly misguided in the past.  Maybe throttle back on critiquing others when you've been demonstrably wrong in the past.

Oh, I'm wrong all the time!  What turns me off isn't how wrong you were, but how certain you were.  That's obnoxious.  

For whatever it’s worth, all I was offering was an alternative viewpoint, it wasn’t a prediction. I do the same in the investing thread. When the market is up everyone tries to convince others to go 100% stock market, and I try to remind people that the market can and will correct and not to put all eggs in one basket. I’ve been wrong so far, but I will still try and offer that other viewpoint as I think it’s in peoples interest. Housing has been on a crazy run, and may continue to, so good luck finding people who urge caution in home buying. I am one such person and try to put that other viewpoint put there, that housing doesn’t have to go up and can go down, that there are lifestyle impacts, etc etc. I might emphasize it to give a counterpoint to the pro house voices. 

I bought a house so obviously it’s not like I don’t believe in home ownership. I am just not as gung ho as you and others on it and urge some caution / present some counterpoints to consider. 

Here’s another list from I think the same day / thread, you can judge yourself if it comes off as obnoxious / certain / unwilling to discuss things reasonably 

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/585126-personal-finance-advice-and-education/?do=findComment&comment=17826339

For whatever it’s worth, all I was offering was an alternative viewpoint, it wasn’t a prediction. I do the same in the investing thread. When the market is up everyone tries to convince others to go 100% stock market, and I try to remind people that the market can and will correct and not to put all eggs in one basket. I’ve been wrong so far, but I will still try and offer that other viewpoint as I think it’s in peoples interest. Housing has been on a crazy run, and may continue to, so good luck finding people who urge caution in home buying. I am one such person and try to put that other viewpoint put there, that housing doesn’t have to go up and can go down, that there are lifestyle impacts, etc etc. I might emphasize it to give a counterpoint to the pro house voices. 

I bought a house so obviously it’s not like I don’t believe in home ownership. I am just not as gung ho as you and others on it and urge some caution / present some counterpoints to consider. 

Here’s another list from I think the same day / thread, you can judge yourself if it comes off as obnoxious / certain / unwilling to discuss things reasonably 

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/585126-personal-finance-advice-and-education/?do=findComment&comment=17826339

Don't try and walk it back now, you were condescending and arrogant in your responses to me and have been proven way wrong.  Buying a home in 2015 would have been incredible investment and you crapped all over the idea.  Don't try and paint the picture another way, your words were your words.

Each year I have gone Labor Day to Thanksgiving with no red meat, processed food, white flour or added sugar.  Originally is was because of good livin' in the summer with briskets on the smoker etc and wanted to balance it.  Sort of a post summer cleanse.  Just became a habit even though I eat less of that stuff anyway year round.  Now - if I could only add alcohol to that list...

I agree that cutting out dairy is a good idea.  Don't know about eggs. Diet staple for me now.  I'm not cutting back on fish.  So can't hang with that study.  And to say that stuff is as bad as smoking - they lost me there.  Total grandstanding and hyperbole. #'s are good with blood work so don't think I'll change much else.   

General Malaise said:
Don't try and walk it back now, you were condescending and arrogant in your responses to me and have been proven way wrong.  Buying a home in 2015 would have been incredible investment and you crapped all over the idea.  Don't try and paint the picture another way, your words were your words.
Are you John Bender?  I'm so bad at internetting.

Some dietary issues but more general health.  Cheese was a huge problem for me.  I love it and was overeating it.  Put it on and in just about everything.  Midnight snack?  Hunk of cheese and some sort cured meat or salty snack.  Has to have contributed to cholesterol, weight and other issues I've had.  I mean......I ate a lot of cheese. 

Plus, that doc I watched opened my eyes. Dairy is a huge problem - beyond being unethical, it's a large cause of our environmental erosion and our bodies are not designed to ingest cow milk and related products.  

Off my soap box now.   Happy to report back if I see any changes.  I need to lose weight, lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, etc.  I think beer is a bigger problem, but I'm not giving that up.  Yet.  Baby steps.  Dairy first, red meat and nitrates next.  Eventually chicken so I'm left with fish and veggies.  I walk 5-7 miles a day so steady exercise but nothing extreme.  
If it weren't fortified with vitamins A/D and an OK source of calcium, really not much to say about dairy nutrition-wise. And there are really good nut/soy/oat, etc. milk substitutes, though the non-dairy cheeses are still pretty meh. The best I've found is coconut milk based.

My current diet is basically what you're shooting for (minus the beer) - I can vouch for it being attainable after being raised on a lot of red meat and potatoes. Keep up the good work!

My motivation ebbs and flows at the moment.  I’m still trying to get my backpacking trip on the calendar which should get me some motivation.

As for dairy - can’t remember the last time I drank milk, essentially cut it out of my diet.  Cheese I still eat a decent amount but not excessive and I’ve never had digestion issues. Rarely ice cream.  My biggest addiction is coffee creamer - can’t drink it black and I have 2 cups a day on average.  I’d cut coffee completely before I’d go no creamer.  

My motivation ebbs and flows at the moment.  I’m still trying to get my backpacking trip on the calendar which should get me some motivation.

As for dairy - can’t remember the last time I drank milk, essentially cut it out of my diet.  Cheese I still eat a decent amount but not excessive and I’ve never had digestion issues. Rarely ice cream.  My biggest addiction is coffee creamer - can’t drink it black and I have 2 cups a day on average.  I’d cut coffee completely before I’d go no creamer.  
I can't stand coffee, but it is super healthy (minus the creamer and added sugary stuff, of course).

General Malaise said:
It’s there to read, that I agree with. It was just a different viewpoint, presenting counter arguments (many of which clearly turned out to be wrong in light of where the market went). I just reread it to see if I was missing something, but people interpret things differently and if I offended you I apologize, wasn’t my intent then or now. 👍

Now can we get back to talking about which vice I have to give up first, sneaking in a few cigs or a fried egg sandwich? 😉

If it weren't fortified with vitamins A/D and an OK source of calcium, really not much to say about dairy nutrition-wise. And there are really good nut/soy/oat, etc. milk substitutes, though the non-dairy cheeses are still pretty meh. The best I've found is coconut milk based.

My current diet is basically what you're shooting for (minus the beer) - I can vouch for it being attainable after being raised on a lot of red meat and potatoes. Keep up the good work!
We're a 100% oat milk family now and my wife likes some sort of almond milk creamer, but I've not used creamer in coffee in 20 years at least.  Bought Oatly stock after it IPOd but it's just breaking my heart.  I want to root for it, but the company is hemorrhaging money.  I view it as a long term hold because deep down, I truly think the generations behind us will opt for alt milks and Oatly is the brand that has all the buzz. 

There is quite a big of sugar in the oat milk, though...probably why I like it! 

It’s there to read, that I agree with. It was just a different viewpoint, presenting counter arguments (many of which clearly turned out to be wrong in light of where the market went). I just reread it to see if I was missing something, but people interpret things differently and if I offended you I apologize, wasn’t my intent then or now. 👍

Now can we get back to talking about which vice I have to give up first, sneaking in a few cigs or a fried egg sandwich? 😉
No worries, it just stuck in my craw and I hold the sort of grudge all the ex-wives in the world would envy.  We move on.

Nearing 3 weeks without cheese (or any dairy).  I almost screwed up last night as my wife made the kids toasted raviolis with some cheese and instinctively I went to inhale the remnants left on their plates (another reason for extra weight is the need I have to not waste a scrap of food and with 5 kids, I've certainly packed on extra pounds just scarfing down their leftovers the last 18 years) but stopped myself and gave it the doggo.   

I'm going through this now. It's hard to get used to, but I keep telling myself something my brother says: "21 days to make or break a habit."

i'm trying to catch up in here, and i am sure some has been posted about this already, but how does anybody do good consuming enough protein during the day?

I have gone from 263 and am 218 as of this morning. Still going well, and broke through 1 or 2 plateaus so pleased. had a 4 day vacation where i went off the diet and was absolutely delighted that it only took me a few days to get back to where i was before our vacation. 

So was speaking with a nutritionist yesterday, and they recommend i get about 100 grams of protein a day. i counted up what i eat, and i am not even close. I figure my current plan is continuing with Intermittent Fasting until i get around 205, then switching to a little more focus on just protein to build up some more muscle mass.

any quick or easy cheats, or is it simply eating a bunch of grilled chicken?

i'm trying to catch up in here, and i am sure some has been posted about this already, but how does anybody do good consuming enough protein during the day?

I have gone from 263 and am 218 as of this morning. Still going well, and broke through 1 or 2 plateaus so pleased. had a 4 day vacation where i went off the diet and was absolutely delighted that it only took me a few days to get back to where i was before our vacation. 

So was speaking with a nutritionist yesterday, and they recommend i get about 100 grams of protein a day. i counted up what i eat, and i am not even close. I figure my current plan is continuing with Intermittent Fasting until i get around 205, then switching to a little more focus on just protein to build up some more muscle mass.

any quick or easy cheats, or is it simply eating a bunch of grilled chicken?
Great progress!!!   Keep up the good work!

Lean proteins like chicken are a good bet.  I also like to do protein shakes for lunch sometimes.   Others in here probably have better ideas.   

Lean proteins like chicken are a good bet.  I also like to do protein shakes for lunch sometimes.   Others in here probably have better ideas.   
yeah those 2 are options i can try with. i think my protein shake only gives about 25g but i figure if i get around 60-80 to start it will be good to get going

On a 12-day family trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton.  While I’m still keeping decent track of food intake, I’m not limiting calories for the next 10-12 days.   I’ll be back in this thread, hard at it, post-trip.

Had already drifted close to my “shut it down” weight two weeks ago, but doubled down my efforts knowing this trip was coming up.  So much driving…..tough to get enough exercise in each day.   Flip side, I’m not buying M&M’s because Mrs APK would notice and would judge me for it.  So that unhealthy dynamic will keep me more accountable.
Well…….got back home from traveling and did a weigh-in this morning.   Lost 2.5-3 lbs while on the 12-day family road trip.  And we weren’t eating super healthy.

So what was different?   Mainly, I didn’t snack much because Mrs APK was always watching and judging, lol.  Seriously, I ate ice cream almost every day — but zero M&Ms, etc.  I put on lots of miles (hiking, walking, running) but that isn’t a big change from normal for me.  Do I really snack that much usually?  Evidently.

Anyway, hope others are doing well.  This thread has been really quiet lately……

I'm going through this now. It's hard to get used to, but I keep telling myself something my brother says: "21 days to make or break a habit."

Problem is most of the habits I have I don't want to break  :P

Honestly, I broke two of my worst ones - sugar and soft drinks.  I will on occasion have a Coke Zero and on occasion have a dessert but for the most part cut that stuff out.  I'm very much in the, "if I can't have some indulgences then what are we even doing out here" camp.  But I will say that of all the small to big bad dietary habits I have the one that is most ingrained is morning coffee with sugar free flavored creamer.  The number of days I've missed in the last 5 years has to be in the single digits.  Total habit for me in a way that I don't think anything else I ingest is.

Chicken and protein bars (not super for you and the taste is just alright).  I found a low carb version from Costco that I like - maybe have 3-4 a week.  I also eat canned tuna and occasionally red meat.  Probably my secret protein weapon is black beans - love them and they (I think) are pretty healthy for you.  I will open a full can, heat them up and add whatever I'm feeling like - pico, jalapeno's, guac, rarely sour cream.  It's very filling, I think delicious and cheap.

I try to avoid processed meat.

We're a 100% oat milk family now and my wife likes some sort of almond milk creamer, but I've not used creamer in coffee in 20 years at least.  Bought Oatly stock after it IPOd but it's just breaking my heart.  I want to root for it, but the company is hemorrhaging money.  I view it as a long term hold because deep down, I truly think the generations behind us will opt for alt milks and Oatly is the brand that has all the buzz. 

There is quite a big of sugar in the oat milk, though...probably why I like it! 
We drink a lot of almond milk products, but apparently almond production is pretty bad for the environment, and it can be more calorically dense than other nut milks. I think soy milk is probably the best compromise, but all are better than cow’s milk imo.

We drink a lot of almond milk products, but apparently almond production is pretty bad for the environment, and it can be more calorically dense than other nut milks. I think soy milk is probably the best compromise, but all are better than cow’s milk imo.
Yeah, I read that it requires an ungodly amount of water to produce one pound of almonds so California nut farmers are not looked at favorably.  I think Oatley has similar issues with water consumption - there was a short report that just destroyed their operations and made several accusations about their environmental damage.  A short report I don't they refuted.  Stock crushed.

Surprised the dairy farmer haven't made their own slanted doc taking down alt milk makers.  Maybe I'll do it.  Well, if I want another divorce. ;)

Problem is most of the habits I have I don't want to break  :P

Honestly, I broke two of my worst ones - sugar and soft drinks.  I will on occasion have a Coke Zero and on occasion have a dessert but for the most part cut that stuff out.  I'm very much in the, "if I can't have some indulgences then what are we even doing out here" camp.  But I will say that of all the small to big bad dietary habits I have the one that is most ingrained is morning coffee with sugar free flavored creamer.  The number of days I've missed in the last 5 years has to be in the single digits.  Total habit for me in a way that I don't think anything else I ingest is.
Yeah, I get it. I’m not a morning person and my pot of coffee is one thing that makes them bearable. I’ve mixed and matched with sweeteners and creamers. Sugar free cocoa is pretty good. I always come back to 1/2 & 1/2 and sugar though. Will report back in 15 days…

• Fish are toxic.

Yeah - I think a documentary like What the Health does more harm than good with their reporting.  I think we discussed it a long time ago in a thread around here.  Very misleading content - and that’s putting it nicely. 

Users who are viewing this thread