What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's talk draft strategy Re-drafts Pick#1 (1 Viewer)

14 QBs also went by the end of round 8 (12 team) in my last draft. I want to wait on a QB, and ideally use the QBBC, but I doubt that even Drew Brees will be available at 8.12. Anyone with #1 draft slot going QBBC this year? Do you think there's a shot to get Brees at 8.12? If you waited until 8.12 and missed on Brees, would you be satisfied with some of the other QBBC combo suggestions? Would you take Carr at 8.12/9.01?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not go:1.01 - Priest2.12 - Harrison3.01 - CJ4.12 - Benson/Bennett/Foster (best available RB)5.01 - Larry Johnson

Why not go:

1.01 - Priest

2.12 - Harrison

3.01 - CJ

4.12 - Benson/Bennett/Foster (best available RB)

5.01 - Larry Johnson
Jimmy, I cannot see Harrison and CJ making it to the turn. In my 12 team league...Moss will be gone late 1st/early 2nd...Owens and Holt somewhere in the middle of round 2. Chad Johnson is the #1 rated WR on my buddies board and he picks 2.7 so he's gone. Harrison will get swiped before I pick at 2.12/3.1 I am going to have some tough decisions to make. I might grab Lamont Jordan as a RB2/Flex...we start 1RB/2WR/1Flex/1TE so I might want to grab Jordan, but than I need a WR...I will catch hell for this but Michael Clayton is sky high on my board. I like his upside and while I am taking him early, I will not get him at the 4.12 turn. I have him ahead of Horn, Walker, and Wayne although they are all bunched up on my lower 1st tier.

Why not go:

1.01 - Priest

2.12 - Harrison

3.01 - CJ

5.01 - Larry Johnson
Jimmy, I cannot see Harrison and CJ making it to the turn. In my 12 team league...Moss will be gone late 1st/early 2nd...Owens and Holt somewhere in the middle of round 2. Chad Johnson is the #1 rated WR on my buddies board and he picks 2.7 so he's gone. Harrison will get swiped before I pick at 2.12/3.1 I am going to have some tough decisions to make. I might grab Lamont Jordan as a RB2/Flex...we start 1RB/2WR/1Flex/1TE so I might want to grab Jordan, but than I need a WR...I will catch hell for this but Michael Clayton is sky high on my board. I like his upside and while I am taking him early, I will not get him at the 4.12 turn. I have him ahead of Horn, Walker, and Wayne although they are all bunched up on my lower 1st tier.
If the top 5 WR's are off the board at pick 24, I'm going to assume that 2 QB's are also off the board. This means that at worst, you have RB17 available. Is that Jordan on your list?You may have Jordan rated higher than me...but on my rankings, I'd have Ahman, Bell, Jackson and Arrington all available and in front of Jordan.

I agree that with 5 WR's off the board at 24 you look hard at RB. But, there are better options (in my opinion) than Jordan.

Why not go:

1.01 - Priest

2.12 - Harrison

3.01 - CJ

5.01 - Larry Johnson
I'd rather go1.01 LT2

2.12 Chad J

3.01 Harrison

4.12 Warrick Dunn

5.01 Jason Witten

6.12 RB3

7.01 QB1

8.12 QB2

9.01 WR3

my problem with the #1 spot this year (which i have) is that im the type that NEEDS 3 strong RBs on my team. I'm desperately hoping that someone i dont expect drops to me at the 2/3 turn but its not expected.So im lloking to be choosing from WestbrookSJacksonTBellCJohnsonTHoltOr guys along this line.I really want to take 2 RBs (SJax Bell), hoping that one of the two breaks out....but then i have slim pickings at WR in the 4/5This is a very difficult position to draft from this year.

I'm afraid of the dregs that will be available at RB at the 4th/5th turn, and would hesitate to draft two WR at 2nd/3rd in a start-two WR league.

I really want to take 2 RBs (SJax Bell), hoping that one of the two breaks out....but then i have slim pickings at WR in the 4/5

This is a very difficult position to draft from this year.
I'm not too sure that WRs around the 4th/5th turn will stand out that much from those available 6th/7th or even later. Take a look at the breakouts/busts from the past few seasons. Many 4th-5th round WRs will flop, and many more will come out of nowhere later in the draft.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of this thread not only when it started over a month ago and even moreso now as I have recently been assigned the #1 pick in my draft. One aspect that has yet to be discussed is the strategy from the #1 pick in a 2 QB league. This league is a ten team league with each team starting 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK, and 1 DEF. The 2 QB starters obviously changes quite a bit at the top of the draft before my 2nd and 3rd picks. In such a league I also cannot afford to wait until the 8th or 9th round to select my first QB. I still support the strategies discussed here and am planning to use a variation of those discussed, but it is necessary they be tweaked slightly for a 2 QB league, so I am gonna try to walk through some scenarios in the first few rounds and let me know what you think.

In the first round LT2 is a given for me.

At the 2nd/3rd round turn, over the past couple years there have been an average of about 5-6 QBs, 10-11 RBs, and 3-4 WRs taken at this point. Based on the recent turmoil I don't think I would feel comfortable grabbing TO at this point, thus I think there are really 4 top WRs for me to consider. If 2 are available then I will likely look to grab two (Moss will be gone definitely, I would hope to get Chad and Holt). If only one is left, I will grab him and a RB (based on AntSports ADP both Jones', Dillon, Barber, and Rudi might be available). There is a possibility that teams will be gunshy to take the 4th QB off the board as the next 8 or so QBs are pretty equal, so a few less RB's might be available. I tend to like Bulger this year and if he is still available I would be tempted to take him at this point along with a top WR.

At the 4th/5th round turn, there has historically been about 12 QBs, 17-18 RBs, 9 WRs and 1-2 TEs taken by this point. If I have LT/WR/WR, I will look to go RB/QB as I don't think I can wait any longer to grab my first QB. RBs available might include Jordan, Jackson, Bell, maybe Martin and Westbrook, and on. QB's available at this point are likely to be Palmer, Plummer, Brooks, Delhomme. If I go WR/RB in rounds 2/3 then at this turn I will look at at WR/QB with Michael Clayton or Darrell Jackson being my target at WR and the same QBs. In the rare chance that I go with a QB in round 2/3, I would likely bypass QB here and look WR/RB.

At the 6th/7th round turn, there should be about 18 QBs, 21 RBs, 18 WRs, and 3-4 TEs off the board. At this point, I feel I will need to lock up a 2nd QB and a 3rd RB. The QBs worth a look will be Griese (who I favor), Carr, Leftwich, McNair, and such. Being that not many RB's will have been taken between these two picks and my last two picks, some of the list from above my be still available as well the likes of a JJ Arrington, Cadillac Williams, Michael Bennett and DeShaun Foster. I would look to get Griese and either Arrington or Williams (although under some situations I would have to be careful not to load up on too many TB players).

As I move into the 8th/9th round, it is obivouslyt harder to predict but I might look to add a Dallas Clark type TE (I am hoping to pair him with LJ Smith a few rounds later) and a 3rd WR or 3rd QB based on value.

Thus, if I go LT/WR/WR/RB/QB/RB/QB I could be looking at a top 7 of LT, Chad Johnson, Torry Holt (or Marvin), Steven Jackson or Bell, Carson Palmer or Plummer, Cadillac or Arrington, Griese or Carr.

If I go LT/RB/WR/QB/WR/RB/QB, I will be looking at something like LT, Julius Jones or Kevin Jones, Chad Johnson or Torry Holt, Carson Palmer or Plummer, Michael Clayton or Jackson, Arrington or Cadillac, and Griese or Carr.

If I go LT/WR/QB/RB/WR/QB/RB then I will hopefulyl have LT, Chad or Marvin, Bulger, Bell or Jackson, Clayton or Jackson, Griese or Carr, and Arrington or Cadillac.

So based on the above it appears I would like to have 2 QBs, 3 RBs and 2 WRs by the end of round 7...what combination I pick will obviously depend on the flow of the draft and where value presents itself. Whatever the case, based on the past drafts in my league that I have studied I feel it will be very beneficial to my team to have two solid WRs by the end of the 5th round as there is a large jump in number of receivers taken between the 5th and 10th rounds (about 4-5 per round). By having 2 WRs I can hopefully avoid this nasty run and use these rounds to catch back up on QBs and my RB2. ALso from what I see from the past drafts I really think I can wait until the 6th/7th round to grab my 3rd RB as there shouldn't be much of a dropoff between these picks and my picks at the 4th/5th round turn.

I apologize for the long post but this is as much me looking for critiques of my strategy for a 2 QB league (which had yet to be discussed) as it was a chance for me to organize my thoughts "on paper" and strategy. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure this will help other members in 2 QB leagues as well.

How deep is the bench? (needs to be included in the equation)Grossman going down leaves another mystery qb starter. not that Grossman had a lot but he was at least looking better in preseason.Do you think this changes the qb values?I think Arrington and Caddy will be long gone ,. They are just out of the top 20 rbs (or even IN the top 20) in my case.Of course this is depending on the bench size. = fa wr availabe. or watch out for rb stockpiles

We have a pretty deep bench: 9 spots. Our total roster size is 19 players with us starting 10 (2QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1PK/1DEF). Most teams will carry 3-4 QBs, 4-5 RBs, 5-6 WRs, 2 TEs, 1 PK, and 1-2 defenses. It also may be important to note that because our draft is about 3.5 weeks before the season starts our draft lasts 22 rounds and then before the season starts we must cut 3 players from our roster. This being the case, it is possible to stockpile some RB's stuck in training camp battles and see where they stand at the end of preseason. It is entirely possibly that Arrington and Cadillac will be gone, but over the last 5 years in my league there have been an average of 21.2 RBs taken by pick 60 (end of 6th round). If this remains the case then it is very possible that one of those two will be there at that turn (if not another back of similar value). Now last year, there was a short run of RBs shortly after the 60th pick and it is possible that I wind up on the wrong side, but that would still leave me with a Bennett, Foster, Ronnie Brown, Taylor, Barlow...guys that are probably worth taking a risk on when I already have LT. I guess I am saying that I am willing to take the chance that a few of the backs in the 18-28 range will break out and forma formidable pair with LT. Whether I pick the right guy, who knows, but I feel like if I can get 2-3 guys in this range then I'm liking my chances to have a solid #2 back.

i just landed the # 1 pick and am contemplating how this plays out:lt #1 (although there is something to the priest handcuff theory)pick #'s 24 and 25: My biggest fear is that the top 5 wr's are all gone and top 2 2b and 16 top rb's (we start qb,2 rb, 3wr, te, k, def, ) - the problem becomes now what? _ i see the value being HUGE in being to get a top 5 wr on the 2/3 turn, but if you can't i can not decide if I am better off going wr/wr with like Wayne/horn/Walker (could horn and walker exist on the same team the way this thread started LOL - I digress) or just one wr and one rb from th likes of Jordan/jackson/bell/green/arrington (not neccessarily in that order) My feeling is to go wr/rb in that scenario because the rb that will be left at the 4/5 turn will not be good,you can still find a decent wr at the 4.5 turn, and now you have lt, a solid #1 wr and a reasonable #2 rb.- what say the FBG geniuses about how to play such a scenario? does this strategy make sense if it falls that way?

I really want to take 2 RBs (SJax Bell), hoping that one of the two breaks out....but then i have slim pickings at WR in the 4/5

This is a very difficult position to draft from this year.
I'm not too sure that WRs around the 4th/5th turn will stand out that much from those available 6th/7th or even later. Take a look at the breakouts/busts from the past few seasons. Many 4th-5th round WRs will flop, and many more will come out of nowhere later in the draft.
there are always players that come out of nowhere every year - ..... but based upon the scenario in my earlier post it may be wise to go wr/wr almost to a fault (unless some back were to fall unexpectedly) in a 3wr mandatory league and then rb/rb at the 4/5 turn

I'm still not sold that any WRs outside of Moss/Harrison/C. Johnson/Holt/Owens stand out over guys who'll be available in the 4th and 5th. Now that Owens may not even play this season, I think it's less likely that a top 4-5 WR makes it to the #24/#25 turn.

I'm hesitant to pick a guy like Wayne/Walker/Horn at #24/#25 to complement a #2 RB. Although I don't want to reach for Gonzo, I'll consider taking him at #25 after securing a 2nd RB at #24. I think he's safe, consistent, and provides a big boost in production over most other TEs if the likes of Troupe/Kinney/Watson/Putzier etc. don't pan out as late round picks at TE.

I think Gonzalez will separate himself from other TEs more than Wayne/Walker etc. will separate from Burleson/D. Jax etc.

I like Gates, too, but don't want his BYE to correspond to LTs.

I'm still not sold that any WRs outside of Moss/Harrison/C. Johnson/Holt/Owens stand out over guys who'll be available in the 4th and 5th. Now that Owens may not even play this season, I think it's less likely that a top 4-5 WR makes it to the #24/#25 turn.

I'm hesitant to pick a guy like Wayne/Walker/Horn at #24/#25 to complement a #2 RB. Although I don't want to reach for Gonzo, I'll consider taking him at #25 after securing a 2nd RB at #24. I think he's safe, consistent, and provides a big boost in production over most other TEs if the likes of Troupe/Kinney/Watson/Putzier etc. don't pan out as late round picks at TE.

I think Gonzalez will separate himself from other TEs more than Wayne/Walker etc. will separate from Burleson/D. Jax etc.

The bye isn't really a big deal since without LT you are at a disadvantage that week anyway. I'm a big fan of stud RB/stud TE on the same team - LT/Gates, Priest/Gonzo, Jones/Witten, Barber/Shockey and my sleeper Portis/Cooley.

I agree with you in that i am finding it less and less likely that moss/harrison/cj/holt and even owens find their way to # 24 - (OMG what if owens falls that far and he is still unsettled in philly - you could hit a HR or go bust in the 2nd round!) anyway, i think that is taking gonzo way too high given that now you have a decent rb#2, te#1, rb#1 and NO WR. IMHO you can seemingly always find a rb2 on the waiver wire and with mandatory 3 wr - i think i still go wr/wr or at least wr/rb. But now you have me thinking, what if you went te/wr? that would give you rb#1, TE#1, and a strong #1 wr. YOu could then come back on the 4/5 turn (sounds like poker but it isn't) and look for best available wr/rb.

fwiw - ran dd a couple of times for my league specs and got jamal lewis and chad johnson falling to me here - who is this possible - gonzo going in the 2nd round :eek: ; how is that possible? there is nothing gimicky in my league setup and there are no points per reception.

All of us with the 1.01 pick feel the pain. I think the #1 spot guarantees you one of two things, you can either fold and take players way too early just to fill spots or you can gamble and be very strong at Running back.I'm expecting to go RB/RB/RB as of now. With hopes that one of the top 4WR fall.My thought is that if I'm going to get stuck with #6-10WR, #3QB or #1TE, then I'll just go RB/RB/RB and not worry.at the 4/5 spot, I'm going to try and get Witten/Heap along with Bulger. If Bulger is gone then I'll just grab my 4th RB. 4 starting RB would really make other teams weak (maybe even LJ just for high hopes). Especially the ones that have taken a Rookie RB as their #2. In other words IMO, since the QB pool is so large and the #14 to #36WR is close to the same, I won't take a WR just to take a WR. My picks 6-10 will include 3WR and 1QB. In my league I have enough space for 5-6WR. So I'll try and grab as many WR from that huge pool as possible, while everybody else is taking backup RB or RBBC.At the end of the draft, I expect to have the #1 RB group, top 3 TE, average QBs and a pile of WR with hopes that I get two every week with decent opponents. 4 starting RB will come in nice when an owners #2 back goes down :boxing:

In the end I feel draft strategy comes down to how you rank the importance of positions relative to each other. For years I was a RB stud guy and like to get a top 5 QB. I alsways figured WR were a natural position to try and platoon so I never really had top WR's on my teams as result. Two years ago I switched to a QBBC mentality and started grabbing a top 10 WR. My teams have improved though I haven't won the big one yet.So, in short I think I need a high level plan like QBBC. Some way to allow you to focus on a position or two less than normal and get some better talent at the ones you are focused on. Yet, in the end competing or even winning at the position you seemingly ignored.

All of us with the 1.01 pick feel the pain. I think the #1 spot guarantees you one of two things, you can either fold and take players way too early just to fill spots or you can gamble and be very strong at Running back.

I'm expecting to go RB/RB/RB as of now. With hopes that one of the top 4WR fall.

My thought is that if I'm going to get stuck with #6-10WR, #3QB or #1TE, then I'll just go RB/RB/RB and not worry.

at the 4/5 spot, I'm going to try and get Witten/Heap along with Bulger. If Bulger is gone then I'll just grab my 4th RB. 4 starting RB would really make other teams weak (maybe even LJ just for high hopes). Especially the ones that have taken a Rookie RB as their #2.

In other words IMO, since the QB pool is so large and the #14 to #36WR is close to the same, I won't take a WR just to take a WR.

My picks 6-10 will include 3WR and 1QB. In my league I have enough space for 5-6WR. So I'll try and grab as many WR from that huge pool as possible, while everybody else is taking backup RB or RBBC.

At the end of the draft, I expect to have the #1 RB group, top 3 TE, average QBs and a pile of WR with hopes that I get two every week with decent opponents. 4 starting RB will come in nice when an owners #2 back goes down :boxing:
With Owens going AWOL, there are now 4 WR you must have...however I can think of worse picks than grabbing 2 of the folowing 5-6 WR.Horn

Walker

Clayton

Wayne

Those that took a WR in the 1st 2 round are going to grab at least 1 more RB in Rounds 3 and 4...you might end up with a servicable #2RB at the 4/5 turn. There you can get the TE you covet and RB.

6th/7th is where you hope you get lucky and start seeing some value. And since you have 2 top10 WR, you can wait awhile before dipping back into them. let others climb over each other to snag Plaxico Burress, Anquan Boldin, Chris Chambers, etc...

All of us with the 1.01 pick feel the pain. I think the #1 spot guarantees you one of two things, you can either fold and take players way too early just to fill spots or you can gamble and be very strong at Running back.

I'm expecting to go RB/RB/RB as of now. With hopes that one of the top 4WR fall.

My thought is that if I'm going to get stuck with #6-10WR, #3QB or #1TE, then I'll just go RB/RB/RB and not worry.

at the 4/5 spot, I'm going to try and get Witten/Heap along with Bulger. If Bulger is gone then I'll just grab my 4th RB. 4 starting RB would really make other teams weak (maybe even LJ just for high hopes). Especially the ones that have taken a Rookie RB as their #2.

In other words IMO, since the QB pool is so large and the #14 to #36WR is close to the same, I won't take a WR just to take a WR.

My picks 6-10 will include 3WR and 1QB. In my league I have enough space for 5-6WR. So I'll try and grab as many WR from that huge pool as possible, while everybody else is taking backup RB or RBBC.

At the end of the draft, I expect to have the #1 RB group, top 3 TE, average QBs and a pile of WR with hopes that I get two every week with decent opponents. 4 starting RB will come in nice when an owners #2 back goes down :boxing:
with wr #14 through 36 in your opinion so closely ranked ( and i agree with you) - might you be better off to take 2 wr in the 6-10 range on the 2/3 turn and look for rb#2 at the 4/5 turn? I could see Dunn falling that far, as well as LJ ... I also plan on looking for mewelde moore and shelton late and getting at least one of them in thehopes of stealing a strong #2 back. by doing this (taking the two wr) you could also start to make quality wr very scarce and may cause a bit of panic there and get a rb or two to fall that you did not think would.ultimately it will come down to who is sitting there and "letting the draft come to you"

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of this thread not only when it started over a month ago and even moreso now as I have recently been assigned the #1 pick in my draft. One aspect that has yet to be discussed is the strategy from the #1 pick in a 2 QB league. This league is a ten team league with each team starting 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK, and 1 DEF. The 2 QB starters obviously changes quite a bit at the top of the draft before my 2nd and 3rd picks. In such a league I also cannot afford to wait until the 8th or 9th round to select my first QB. I still support the strategies discussed here and am planning to use a variation of those discussed, but it is necessary they be tweaked slightly for a 2 QB league, so I am gonna try to walk through some scenarios in the first few rounds and let me know what you think.

At the 2nd/3rd round turn, over the past couple years there have been an average of about 5-6 QBs, 10-11 RBs, and 3-4 WRs taken at this point. Based on the recent turmoil I don't think I would feel comfortable grabbing TO at this point, thus I think there are really 4 top WRs for me to consider. If 2 are available then I will likely look to grab two (Moss will be gone definitely, I would hope to get Chad and Holt). If only one is left, I will grab him and a RB (based on AntSports ADP both Jones', Dillon, Barber, and Rudi might be available). There is a possibility that teams will be gunshy to take the 4th QB off the board as the next 8 or so QBs are pretty equal, so a few less RB's might be available. I tend to like Bulger this year and if he is still available I would be tempted to take him at this point along with a top WR.

At the 4th/5th round turn, there has historically been about 12 QBs, 17-18 RBs, 9 WRs and 1-2 TEs taken by this point. If I have LT/WR/WR, I will look to go RB/QB as I don't think I can wait any longer to grab my first QB. RBs available might include Jordan, Jackson, Bell, maybe Martin and Westbrook, and on. QB's available at this point are likely to be Palmer, Plummer, Brooks, Delhomme. If I go WR/RB in rounds 2/3 then at this turn I will look at at WR/QB with Michael Clayton or Darrell Jackson being my target at WR and the same QBs. In the rare chance that I go with a QB in round 2/3, I would likely bypass QB here and look WR/RB.

At the 6th/7th round turn, there should be about 18 QBs, 21 RBs, 18 WRs, and 3-4 TEs off the board. At this point, I feel I will need to lock up a 2nd QB and a 3rd RB. The QBs worth a look will be Griese (who I favor), Carr, Leftwich, McNair, and such. Being that not many RB's will have been taken between these two picks and my last two picks, some of the list from above my be still available as well the likes of a JJ Arrington, Cadillac Williams, Michael Bennett and DeShaun Foster. I would look to get Griese and either Arrington or Williams (although under some situations I would have to be careful not to load up on too many TB players).

As I move into the 8th/9th round, it is obivouslyt harder to predict but I might look to add a Dallas Clark type TE (I am hoping to pair him with LJ Smith a few rounds later) and a 3rd WR or 3rd QB based on value.

Thus, if I go LT/WR/WR/RB/QB/RB/QB I could be looking at a top 7 of LT, Chad Johnson, Torry Holt (or Marvin), Steven Jackson or Bell, Carson Palmer or Plummer, Cadillac or Arrington, Griese or Carr.

If I go LT/RB/WR/QB/WR/RB/QB, I will be looking at something like LT, Julius Jones or Kevin Jones, Chad Johnson or Torry Holt, Carson Palmer or Plummer, Michael Clayton or Jackson, Arrington or Cadillac, and Griese or Carr.

If I go LT/WR/QB/RB/WR/QB/RB then I will hopefulyl have LT, Chad or Marvin, Bulger, Bell or Jackson, Clayton or Jackson, Griese or Carr, and Arrington or Cadillac.

So based on the above it appears I would like to have 2 QBs, 3 RBs and 2 WRs by the end of round 7...what combination I pick will obviously depend on the flow of the draft and where value presents itself. Whatever the case, based on the past drafts in my league that I have studied I feel it will be very beneficial to my team to have two solid WRs by the end of the 5th round as there is a large jump in number of receivers taken between the 5th and 10th rounds (about 4-5 per round). By having 2 WRs I can hopefully avoid this nasty run and use these rounds to catch back up on QBs and my RB2. ALso from what I see from the past drafts I really think I can wait until the 6th/7th round to grab my 3rd RB as there shouldn't be much of a dropoff between these picks and my picks at the 4th/5th round turn.

I apologize for the long post but this is as much me looking for critiques of my strategy for a 2 QB league (which had yet to be discussed) as it was a chance for me to organize my thoughts "on paper" and strategy. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure this will help other members in 2 QB leagues as well.
Still enjoying the commentary very much, but I am hoping for a little feedback on my situation in a 10 team, start 2 QB league. Any thoughts. Is my reasoning sound? Thanks.

I just landed the #1 pick in my draft for next weekend. I plan on going LT2 and then WR/RB depending who I like the best. I plan on taking Gonzo at 3.1. The twist here is TE is the only position that gets 1 PPR in our scoring.....

All of us with the 1.01 pick feel the pain.  I think the #1 spot guarantees you one of two things, you can either fold and take players way too early just to fill spots or you can gamble and be very strong at Running back.

I'm expecting to go RB/RB/RB as of now.  With hopes that one of the top 4WR fall.

at the 4/5 spot, I'm going to try and get Witten/Heap along with Bulger.  If Bulger is gone then I'll just grab my 4th RB.  4 starting RB would really make other teams weak (maybe even LJ just for high hopes).  Especially the ones that have taken a Rookie RB as their #2. 

My picks 6-10 will include 3WR and 1QB.  In my league I have enough space for 5-6WR.  So I'll try and grab as many WR from that huge pool as possible, while everybody else is taking backup RB or RBBC.

At the end of the draft, I expect to have the #1 RB group, top 3 TE, average QBs and a pile of WR with hopes that I get two every week with decent opponents.  4 starting RB will come in nice when an owners #2 back goes down :boxing:
with wr #14 through 36 in your opinion so closely ranked ( and i agree with you) - might you be better off to take 2 wr in the 6-10 range on the 2/3 turn and look for rb#2 at the 4/5 turn? I could see Dunn falling that far, as well as LJ ... I also plan on looking for mewelde moore and shelton late and getting at least one of them in thehopes of stealing a strong #2 back. by doing this (taking the two wr) you could also start to make quality wr very scarce and may cause a bit of panic there and get a rb or two to fall that you did not think would.ultimately it will come down to who is sitting there and "letting the draft come to you"
Very good idea. I second the notion.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of this thread not only when it started over a month ago and even moreso now as I have recently been assigned the #1 pick in my draft.  One aspect that has yet to be discussed is the strategy from the #1 pick in a 2 QB league.  This league is a ten team league with each team starting 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK, and 1 DEF.  The 2 QB starters obviously changes quite a bit at the top of the draft before my 2nd and 3rd picks.  In such a league I also cannot afford to wait until the 8th or 9th round to select my first QB.  I still support the strategies discussed here and am planning to use a variation of those discussed, but it is necessary they be tweaked slightly for a 2 QB league, so I am gonna try to walk through some scenarios in the first few rounds and let me know what you think.

At the 2nd/3rd round turn, over the past couple years there have been an average of about 5-6 QBs, 10-11 RBs, and 3-4 WRs taken at this point.  Based on the recent turmoil I don't think I would feel comfortable grabbing TO at this point, thus I think there are really 4 top WRs for me to consider.  If 2 are available then I will likely look to grab two (Moss will be gone definitely, I would hope to get Chad and Holt).  If only one is left, I will grab him and a RB (based on AntSports ADP both Jones', Dillon, Barber, and Rudi might be available).  There is a possibility that teams will be gunshy to take the 4th QB off the board as the next 8 or so QBs are pretty equal, so a few less RB's might be available.  I tend to like Bulger this year and if he is still available I would be tempted to take him at this point along with a top WR.

At the 4th/5th round turn, there has historically been about 12 QBs, 17-18 RBs, 9 WRs and 1-2 TEs taken by this point.  If I have LT/WR/WR, I will look to go RB/QB as I don't think I can wait any longer to grab my first QB.  RBs available might include Jordan, Jackson, Bell, maybe Martin and Westbrook, and on.  QB's available at this point are likely to be Palmer, Plummer, Brooks, Delhomme.  If I go WR/RB in rounds 2/3 then at this turn I will look at at WR/QB with Michael Clayton or Darrell Jackson being my target at WR and the same QBs.  In the rare chance that I go with a QB in round 2/3, I would likely bypass QB here and look WR/RB.

At the 6th/7th round turn, there should be about 18 QBs, 21 RBs, 18 WRs, and 3-4 TEs off the board.  At this point, I feel I will need to lock up a 2nd QB and a 3rd RB.  The QBs worth a look will be Griese (who I favor), Carr, Leftwich, McNair, and such.  Being that not many RB's will have been taken between these two picks and my last two picks, some of the list from above my be still available as well the likes of a JJ Arrington, Cadillac Williams, Michael Bennett and DeShaun Foster.  I would look to get Griese and either Arrington or Williams (although under some situations I would have to be careful not to load up on too many TB players).

So based on the above it appears I would like to have 2 QBs, 3 RBs and 2 WRs by the end of round 7...what combination I pick will obviously depend on the flow of the draft and where value presents itself.  Whatever the case, based on the past drafts in my league that I have studied I feel it will be very beneficial to my team to have two solid WRs by the end of the 5th round as there is a large jump in number of receivers taken between the 5th and 10th rounds (about 4-5 per round).  By having 2 WRs I can hopefully avoid this nasty run and use these rounds to catch back up on QBs and my RB2.  ALso from what I see from the past drafts I really think I can wait until the 6th/7th round to grab my 3rd RB as there shouldn't be much of a dropoff between these picks and my picks at the 4th/5th round turn. 

I apologize for the long post but this is as much me looking for critiques of my strategy for a 2 QB league (which had yet to be discussed) as it was a chance for me to organize my thoughts "on paper" and strategy.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure this will help other members in 2 QB leagues as well.
Still enjoying the commentary very much, but I am hoping for a little feedback on my situation in a 10 team, start 2 QB league. Any thoughts. Is my reasoning sound? Thanks.
In a start 2 QB league why would you not take Peyton manning 1st? How did the owner that had him last year do? WHat have the QB combos been that have won in this league? I bet the Brees/Carr combo would not fair so well in this league. I would lock up a QB immediately.

All of us with the 1.01 pick feel the pain.  I think the #1 spot guarantees you one of two things, you can either fold and take players way too early just to fill spots or you can gamble and be very strong at Running back.

I'm expecting to go RB/RB/RB as of now.  With hopes that one of the top 4WR fall.

at the 4/5 spot, I'm going to try and get Witten/Heap along with Bulger.  If Bulger is gone then I'll just grab my 4th RB.  4 starting RB would really make other teams weak (maybe even LJ just for high hopes).  Especially the ones that have taken a Rookie RB as their #2. 

My picks 6-10 will include 3WR and 1QB.  In my league I have enough space for 5-6WR.  So I'll try and grab as many WR from that huge pool as possible, while everybody else is taking backup RB or RBBC.

At the end of the draft, I expect to have the #1 RB group, top 3 TE, average QBs and a pile of WR with hopes that I get two every week with decent opponents.  4 starting RB will come in nice when an owners #2 back goes down :boxing:
I just looked at my last 2 drafts, and a whopping 13 WRs were drafted in rounds 3 and 4 both times!! (Edit to add 10 team redraft)

This makes me feel sure I am going to beat that run and go WR-WR at 2.10 and 3.01...otherwise I am looking at WR #2 being out of the top 15 or so.

I just hope it's two of the "big 5", and I don't have to reach a little for Walker, Horn, Jackson, or Wayne.

In a start 2 QB league why would you not take Peyton manning 1st? How did the owner that had him last year do? WHat have the QB combos been that have won in this league? I bet the Brees/Carr combo would not fair so well in this league. I would lock up a QB immediately.
Last year a guy took Manning and Culpepper in rounds 1 and 2 and he finished with the best regular season record. I picked my QB's in rounds 3 and 4 last year (McNair and Brooks) and ended up winning the league, although by the end of the year I benefited greatly from starting a waiver wire combo of Volek and Collins. You do have to have competitive QB's to win this league. I guess I am hoping that a combo of a few upside guys like Palmer and Griese paired with a later combination of a Boller, Warner, Harrington, Garcia, or Frerotte will pay big dividends and will be enough to go with a top 3 of LT/WR/WR.

Now, it is very possible that the top 4 WR's (or only 1 is left) are gone at the 20/21 turn. In this case, I would look to a QB but I would likely only take Bulger if the top 3 QBs are already gone. I don't feel like the next 8-9 QBs differentiate themselves from one another enoug to take one a this point when I could grab a Palmer, Plummer or Brady at 40/41 that will very possibly perform as high as the #5 QB taken off the board.

Not wanting to take Manning #1, I feel the best value will be to hopefully take 2 WRs at 20/21 or at least a RB/WR combo if only one top WR is available and Bulger is not there. This being the case I believe the best value at QB given my drat slot will be at the 4th/5th turn as some of these QBs will likely perform as well as the 5th QB on. Make any sense?

I just looked at my last 2 drafts, and a whopping 13 WRs were drafted in rounds 3 and 4 both times!!

(Edit to add 10 team redraft)

This makes me feel sure I am going to beat that run and go WR-WR at 2.10 and 3.01...otherwise I am looking at WR #2 being out of the top 15 or so.

I just hope it's two of the "big 5", and I don't have to reach a little for Walker, Horn, Jackson, or Wayne.
Im drafting at pick #3 and am considering going this route as well (3 isnt far off from the subject of this discussion)...Between my 3rd and 4th pick, over the last 4 years in my league, the AVG # of WRs taken is 9!! 3 years ago 12 were taken in those 19 picks. I think its a great move getting 2 of those WRs at the start of the WR run that will start in the 3rd. That will allow some good RBs to fall.Between my 3rd and 4th round picks only 3 Rbs were taken last year and the year before. THREE. Lets see....Looking at a WR dropoff of 9-12, or a RB dropoff of 3-4....no brainer.

Easy math. The better choice for me is a WR in 2 and 3, and RB2 in 4. Then you can afford to wait a bit on more WRs and fill out your TE and QB spots, and get some RB depth as well.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of this thread not only when it started over a month ago and even moreso now as I have recently been assigned the #1 pick in my draft.  One aspect that has yet to be discussed is the strategy from the #1 pick in a 2 QB league.  This league is a ten team league with each team starting 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK, and 1 DEF.  The 2 QB starters obviously changes quite a bit at the top of the draft before my 2nd and 3rd picks.  In such a league I also cannot afford to wait until the 8th or 9th round to select my first QB.  I still support the strategies discussed here and am planning to use a variation of those discussed, but it is necessary they be tweaked slightly for a 2 QB league, so I am gonna try to walk through some scenarios in the first few rounds and let me know what you think.

At the 2nd/3rd round turn, over the past couple years there have been an average of about 5-6 QBs, 10-11 RBs, and 3-4 WRs taken at this point.  Based on the recent turmoil I don't think I would feel comfortable grabbing TO at this point, thus I think there are really 4 top WRs for me to consider.  If 2 are available then I will likely look to grab two (Moss will be gone definitely, I would hope to get Chad and Holt).  If only one is left, I will grab him and a RB (based on AntSports ADP both Jones', Dillon, Barber, and Rudi might be available).  There is a possibility that teams will be gunshy to take the 4th QB off the board as the next 8 or so QBs are pretty equal, so a few less RB's might be available.  I tend to like Bulger this year and if he is still available I would be tempted to take him at this point along with a top WR.

At the 4th/5th round turn, there has historically been about 12 QBs, 17-18 RBs, 9 WRs and 1-2 TEs taken by this point.  If I have LT/WR/WR, I will look to go RB/QB as I don't think I can wait any longer to grab my first QB.  RBs available might include Jordan, Jackson, Bell, maybe Martin and Westbrook, and on.  QB's available at this point are likely to be Palmer, Plummer, Brooks, Delhomme.  If I go WR/RB in rounds 2/3 then at this turn I will look at at WR/QB with Michael Clayton or Darrell Jackson being my target at WR and the same QBs.  In the rare chance that I go with a QB in round 2/3, I would likely bypass QB here and look WR/RB.

At the 6th/7th round turn, there should be about 18 QBs, 21 RBs, 18 WRs, and 3-4 TEs off the board.  At this point, I feel I will need to lock up a 2nd QB and a 3rd RB.  The QBs worth a look will be Griese (who I favor), Carr, Leftwich, McNair, and such.  Being that not many RB's will have been taken between these two picks and my last two picks, some of the list from above my be still available as well the likes of a JJ Arrington, Cadillac Williams, Michael Bennett and DeShaun Foster.  I would look to get Griese and either Arrington or Williams (although under some situations I would have to be careful not to load up on too many TB players).

So based on the above it appears I would like to have 2 QBs, 3 RBs and 2 WRs by the end of round 7...what combination I pick will obviously depend on the flow of the draft and where value presents itself.  Whatever the case, based on the past drafts in my league that I have studied I feel it will be very beneficial to my team to have two solid WRs by the end of the 5th round as there is a large jump in number of receivers taken between the 5th and 10th rounds (about 4-5 per round).  By having 2 WRs I can hopefully avoid this nasty run and use these rounds to catch back up on QBs and my RB2.  ALso from what I see from the past drafts I really think I can wait until the 6th/7th round to grab my 3rd RB as there shouldn't be much of a dropoff between these picks and my picks at the 4th/5th round turn. 

I apologize for the long post but this is as much me looking for critiques of my strategy for a 2 QB league (which had yet to be discussed) as it was a chance for me to organize my thoughts "on paper" and strategy.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure this will help other members in 2 QB leagues as well.
Last year a guy took Manning and Culpepper in rounds 1 and 2 and he finished with the best regular season record. I picked my QB's in rounds 3 and 4 last year (McNair and Brooks) and ended up winning the league, although by the end of the year I benefited greatly from starting a waiver wire combo of Volek and Collins. You do have to have competitive QB's to win this league. I guess I am hoping that a combo of a few upside guys like Palmer and Griese paired with a later combination of a Boller, Warner, Harrington, Garcia, or Frerotte will pay big dividends and will be enough to go with a top 3 of LT/WR/WR.

Now, it is very possible that the top 4 WR's (or only 1 is left) are gone at the 20/21 turn. In this case, I would look to a QB but I would likely only take Bulger if the top 3 QBs are already gone. I don't feel like the next 8-9 QBs differentiate themselves from one another enoug to take one a this point when I could grab a Palmer, Plummer or Brady at 40/41 that will very possibly perform as high as the #5 QB taken off the board.

Not wanting to take Manning #1, I feel the best value will be to hopefully take 2 WRs at 20/21 or at least a RB/WR combo if only one top WR is available and Bulger is not there. This being the case I believe the best value at QB given my drat slot will be at the 4th/5th turn as some of these QBs will likely perform as well as the 5th QB on. Make any sense?
So the guy with the best regular season had Manning and Culpepper? You got lucky in the playoffs or he got unlucky, whichever. It shows the brutal honesty of getting a top QB. I wouldn't screw with Griese in a mandatory start 2 every week. I like Griese this year a lot...as long as I don't have to use him every week.You won last year...I mean I would just wash, rinse, repeat.

I cannot admit that luck was not a factor in my playoff run, but even in the regular season I won my division and finished only 1 game behind the owner with the Manning/Culpepper combo. While a top QB helps, you can still do well with 2 mid range QBs. LT is my choice at #1...my draft is tommorrow and I don't think I am gonna stray from that pick at this point. You can convince me to take a QB at the 2nd/3rd round turn, but like I have said, I think Bulger is the only guy after the top 3 that presents any value of the next 8 or so QB's.

I just looked at my last 2 drafts, and a whopping 13 WRs were drafted in rounds 3 and 4 both times!! 

Im drafting at pick #3 and am considering going this route as well (3 isnt far off from the subject of this discussion)...Between my 3rd and 4th pick, over the last 4 years in my league, the AVG # of WRs taken is 9!! 3 years ago 12 were taken in those 19 picks. I think its a great move getting 2 of those WRs at the start of the WR run that will start in the 3rd. That will allow some good RBs to fall.Between my 3rd and 4th round picks only 3 Rbs were taken last year and the year before. THREE. Lets see....Looking at a WR dropoff of 9-12, or a RB dropoff of 3-4....no brainer.

Easy math. The better choice for me is a WR in 2 and 3, and RB2 in 4. Then you can afford to wait a bit on more WRs and fill out your TE and QB spots, and get some RB depth as well.
believe it or not there were only 7 wr taken during rds 3 and 4 last year in my league (just 10 years - 1st full year - at least 1/2 guppies). anyway, out of those 20 picks there were 5 qb, 7wr, 1def, 1te, and 6 rb: - probably all of the rb as 4wr went at the end of round 2(including 4 on the flop) - this year we went to 12 teams and replaced 2 guppies so i figure this will be a lot more competitive - still going wr/wr at the 2/3 turn unless some ridiculous rb falls.

believe it or not there were only 7 wr taken during rds 3 and 4 last year in my league (just 10 years - 1st full year - at least 1/2 guppies). anyway, out of those 20 picks there were 5 qb, 7wr, 1def, 1te, and 6 rb: - probably all of the rb as 4wr went at the end of round 2(including 4 on the flop) - this year we went to 12 teams and replaced 2 guppies so i figure this will be a lot more competitive - still going wr/wr at the 2/3 turn unless some ridiculous rb falls.
who do you consider as a "ridiculous RB" that would fall?

If you take LT at #1, then IMO you have three alternative for the turn (#24/25):(for all alternatives I'm going to assume that Manning, Moss and Culpepper are all gone, as well as the top 10 RBs.)1) There has been a huge run at RBs and all of the following are taken:11. Brian Westbrook, Phi 12. Kevin Jones, Det 13. Julius Jones, Dal 14. Curtis Martin, NYJ 15. Rudi Johnson, Cin 16. Jamal Lewis, Bal 17. Steven Jackson, StL 18. Ahman Green, GB 19. Lamont Jordan, OakIncluding the other 3 non-rbs at the top, this would account for 22 picks, so one more player gets picked before you get 2 picks.That means that you get to pick two out of Holt, Chad Johnson, Harrison, and Owens. So even if Owens is not playing, you still get two out of the three.Even though your RB2 will suffer, you get LT, and two of the top WRs in the league. That should mean some pretty consistently high scores for your team. I would not reach for a lower tiered back at that point. If there has been a huge run on RBs so far in the draft, everyone will be drafting WRs and QBs in the next couple of drafts, so the RB level shouldn't drop that significantly.2) In the second alternative, along with the top 3 non-RBs (Manning, Moss, and Culpepper), all other top-tier WRs are gone (Holt, Chad Johnson, Harrison, Owens).This would mean that you have at least 7 non-RB picks in the first 23 picks and probably 16 RBs picked. Leaving you with two out of the players like:15. Rudi Johnson, Cin 16. Jamal Lewis, Bal 17. Steven Jackson, StL 18. Ahman Green, GB 19. Lamont Jordan, OakSo potentially you start off with a weaker WR roster, but with RBs like LT, Ahman Green, and Steven Jackson. You then spend the next 3 rounds picking good value WRs to complement you top notch RBs.3) In the last alternative, a couple of the top-tier WRs have been taken.In this situation (which would be ideal for me), you just pick the remaining RB out of the list from alternative 1 and the remaining top-tier WR.This would give you a roster starting with LT, Lamont Jordan, and Chad Johnson.So either way, by having the #1 pick, I think you should have a very solid start to your draft.I would personally not draft Gonzalez this high. I feel this may be one of the deeper drafts in TEs in the awhile that can give you some consistent scoring (Gonzalez, Gates, Witten, Heap, Crumpler, Shockey).

So in a redraft, 12 team, LT at 1, we're talking picks 2 and 3. I'll assume you take the best RB at 2.12. So it's 3.01What is the short list of WRs you'd take?HoltHarrisonMossCJIs TO still on that list? What about Walker?Walker seems like a stretch. Same with Gonzo. But it seems to me the WRs you'll get at 4/5 will mostly be crap. I almost think you have to go RB/RB/WR at this point. I think Walker has the upside can can barely justify a 3.01 pick. Then again double RB wouldn't hurt. I just don't see how you can take TO with a chance me misses a number of games at the start, or end of the season.Is there anyone else I'm missing from the WR list?

So in a redraft, 12 team, LT at 1, we're talking picks 2 and 3. I'll assume you take the best RB at 2.12. So it's 3.01

What is the short list of WRs you'd take?

Holt

Harrison

Moss

CJ

Is TO still on that list? What about Walker?

Walker seems like a stretch. Same with Gonzo. But it seems to me the WRs you'll get at 4/5 will mostly be crap. I almost think you have to go RB/RB/WR at this point. I think Walker has the upside can can barely justify a 3.01 pick. Then again double RB wouldn't hurt. I just don't see how you can take TO with a chance me misses a number of games at the start, or end of the season.

Is there anyone else I'm missing from the WR list?
I'm telling you that I don't think any of the top4 are going to be there. 2QB, 4 WR, and 17 RB off the board b4 you pick next...I would be inlcined to grab Lamont Jordan and 1 WR...maybe Owens if this clears up but more likely Walker/Wayne something like that. At the end of round 4 1 of the Cardinal boys will be there, and you can probably find another WR you can live with or RB.

6/7 Start looking at ant TE that have slipped, maybe a QB if value fell...best WR/RB avaialble...it's about value at this point.

So in a redraft, 12 team, LT at 1, we're talking picks 2 and 3. I'll assume you take the best RB at 2.12. So it's 3.01

Holt

Harrison

Moss

CJ

Walker seems like a stretch. Same with Gonzo. But it seems to me the WRs you'll get at 4/5 will mostly be crap. I almost think you have to go RB/RB/WR at this point. I think Walker has the upside can can barely justify a 3.01 pick. Then again double RB wouldn't hurt. I just don't see how you can take TO with a chance me misses a number of games at the start, or end of the season.

I'm telling you that I don't think any of the top4 are going to be there. 2QB, 4 WR, and 17 RB off the board b4 you pick next...I would be inlcined to grab Lamont Jordan and 1 WR...maybe Owens if this clears up but more likely Walker/Wayne something like that. At the end of round 4 1 of the Cardinal boys will be there, and you can probably find another WR you can live with or RB.

6/7 Start looking at ant TE that have slipped, maybe a QB if value fell...best WR/RB avaialble...it's about value at this point.
I agree they probably won't. I just wanted to get a list of WRs you'd take at 3.01.TO just seems way too risky. They could MeShawn this guy.

Walker, ehhhh. Probably the only other WR I'd take here. You really think Wayne is worth it at 3.01? 25th overall seems early for both of them.

Holt

Harrison

Moss

CJ

I agree they probably won't. I just wanted to get a list of WRs you'd take at 3.01.TO just seems way too risky. They could MeShawn this guy.

Walker, ehhhh. Probably the only other WR I'd take here. You really think Wayne is worth it at 3.01? 25th overall seems early for both of them.
Early compared to what? You won't get either of them at the 4th/5th turn...are you really reaching? Or are you simply grabbing 1 or 2 top10 preseason WR and than not have to worry about WR till about the 6th/7th when someone you like will be there. Check out my top5 picks in each round thread...it's in the 1st couple of pages here...good stuff.

MoP, thanks for starting a great thread (you have a habit of doing that). I've read through the entire thread, and it is interesting to see the different thoughts based on different scoring systems and starting line up requirements. It is so important to know your league rules. I was going to list my scoring/starting info, but who cares. They are very different from most leagues (you can start 4RB if you want). My point was, nice thread, and know your league rules.And also, thanks to the folks that went and reviewed their leagues for the past few years to determine how many of each position were selected between 1.01 and 2.12/3.01. I didn't really think to do this, and now I'm going to.

I just want to highlight that the #1 spot faces the very real possibility that Owens drops to 24/25. For those who - like me - would be willing to spend a pick on a top-tier receiver, Owens poses an interesting choice.

Either Owens is going to play this year or he isn't. Would you still be willing to drop a 2nd/3rd round pick on him at the #24/#25 turn if his situation wasn't settled by, say, Sept. 7th?

I CURSED the news about Owens--not because I care about him or the Eagles, but I knew that the draft equilibrium shifted for those (including me) with the #1 draft slot. Before his latest histrionics, it was fairly reasonable to assume that one of the Top 5 WRs would be there at the #24/#25 turn. Minus TO, I don't think the other 4 will make it down that far.

I CURSED the news about Owens--not because I care about him or the Eagles, but I knew that the draft equilibrium shifted for those (including me) with the #1 draft slot....Minus TO, I don't think the other 4 will make it down that far.
Now, I'm somewhat encouraged... :thumbup:

Thats not a bad option, however I feel that if you go RB/WR/WR and those WR are something like Horn/Walker, you could get pinched at the 4/5. There could be a run on RB and leave you with tablescraps like Brown or Jones or a rookie which would cause your #2 starting RB to be shaky at best. It could work out, but if this happens you will still have to spend a few spots on Backup RBs that may never see they field or produce as well as their #1.

Plus there are plenty of viable WR out there that can be had in the middle rounds that could work their way to a top 15 finish and be worthy of that #WR2 spot.

If you are not sold at the RB spot, go RB/WR/RB that will at least give you the chance at the 4/5 to take the highest rated player at any position, since you wouldn't need a RB, and if there is a run on RB in round 4, you can then take the best available. If there isn't a run, then you have the luxury of some RB depth (nice).

4/5 viable options:

Witten/Bulger/Collins/Roy Williams/Bennett/Burleson/Foster/Taylor/Johnson.

who do you consider as a "ridiculous RB" that would fall?
any in the top 19 of the fbg rankings except maybe steven jackson. if either martin and/or jordan is available and that is where i have a real difficulty in decding where to go - if either of guys are left, i probably take either martin or jordan and one wr - fwiw i would see martin as the more conservative pick and jordan as the riskier pick - but don't forget taylor could be there on the 4/5 turn as well as if the receivers left were any of the following: moss, harrison, cj, owens and holt i would have to take two of them and not look back!!

I CURSED the news about Owens--not because I care about him or the Eagles, but I knew that the draft equilibrium shifted for those (including me) with the #1 draft slot....Minus TO, I don't think the other 4 will make it down that far.
no doubt - i want someone to snatch him up in front of me leaving me with the one leftover out of the top 5! (I just want one - two would be great, but i'd settle for one!)

Thats not a bad option, however I feel that if you go RB/WR/WR and those WR are something like Horn/Walker, you could get pinched at the 4/5. There could be a run on RB and leave you with tablescraps like Brown or Jones or a rookie which would cause your #2 starting RB to be shaky at best. It could work out, but if this happens you will still have to spend a few spots on Backup RBs that may never see they field or produce as well as their #1.

Plus there are plenty of viable WR out there that can be had in the middle rounds that could work their way to a top 15 finish and be worthy of that #WR2 spot.

If you are not sold at the RB spot, go RB/WR/RB that will at least give you the chance at the 4/5 to take the highest rated player at any position, since you wouldn't need a RB, and if there is a run on RB in round 4, you can then take the best available. If there isn't a run, then you have the luxury of some RB depth (nice).

4/5 viable options:

Witten/Bulger/Collins/Roy Williams/Bennett/Burleson/Foster/Taylor/Johnson.
sorry for three straight posts - but if horn/walker are all that is left at wr then 5 wr's are gone, and at least 1 qb, thus only 17 rb's are taken thus you can still can get a very good back and a wr (NOTE: i am not convinced culpepper would go before 2.12 in my draft just knowing who my audience is) - i don't think you follow my wr/wr theory blindly, but i gotta believe, especially with TO back today and everything ok for the moment, at least one of the top 5 wr makes it back to you at 2.12

no doubt - i want someone to snatch him up in front of me leaving me with the one leftover out of the top 5! (I just want one - two would be great, but i'd settle for one!)
LT at 1.1 and TO at 2.12.I would be extremely satisfied with that.

10 team, 2 RB and 3 WR.... picking first, i got Priest, Holt, Chad Johnson, JJ Arrington, Tatum Bell.... i gambled and waited until the 6th to grab LJ and got him....maybe its because its only a 10 team league, but i feel like most people wouldnt take LJ unless there was value ... i just dont think there would have been that much value for another team who didnt have Priest to take LJ before the 6thi also got Shockey and Tom Brady later.... but with this team I think I have a great shot to compete...

Depends on your league. The "sharkier" it is, the more likely the players will fall. In one league, I had both Chad Johnson and Marvin Harrison at the turn after taking LaDainian. I was thrilled. BUT, I got stuck with DeShaun Foster and Ronnie Brown at the next turn.

Should I trade the #1 pick for the following in a 14 round draft:I give:Pick 1.01 (basically LT)Pick 5.01I receive:Pick 1.06Pick 3.06

Should I trade the #1 pick for the following in a 14 round draft:

I give:

Pick 1.01 (basically LT)

Pick 5.01

I receive:

Pick 1.06

Pick 3.06
Yes. 4 Picks in the top 30 is not bad.You could be looking a foursome the likes of: Deuce McCallister, Marvin Harrison, Brian Westbrook, and Javon Walker.

Tough to beat.

But the basic question is whether the value differential between the 1.01 and 1.06 picks is greater or less than the 3.06 and 5.01 pick. I think it is.

Should I trade the #1 pick for the following in a 14 round draft:

I give:

Pick 1.01 (basically LT)

Pick 5.01

I receive:

Pick 1.06

Pick 3.06
Yes. 4 Picks in the top 30 is not bad.You could be looking a foursome the likes of: Deuce McCallister, Marvin Harrison, Brian Westbrook, and Javon Walker.

Tough to beat.

But the basic question is whether the value differential between the 1.01 and 1.06 picks is greater or less than the 3.06 and 5.01 pick. I think it is.
So do you think LT will greatly outproduce the players who will be available at #6?

Users who are viewing this thread