What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lets talk wood (working) and tools (3 Viewers)

Welcome to the thread.  Hopefully you will see something in here that might inspire you to get back to it.  (if that's what you want).

I know @dkp993 has got me ready to go moving forward on some things this weekend.  I can't wait to get home from work today.  :thumbup:
👍. Get it!  Then figure out imgur so you can post some pics.  

OK.  I am delving in to the world of Imgur to see if I can share the weekend progress on the mobile table saw/router table build.

https://imgur.com/a/xDco3PR   I hope this works.

The top is on.  The rail for the fence system creates a pretty big gap.  I'm thinking to build an insert that can slide into the t-track for when I want to use it just for assembly,

Hope to cut in for the router lift this weekend or next.  it will depend if I get the electrician out to continue work on the basement.

I shared on here the fiasco I underwent with a 110 foot oak tree falling through the middle of my house a few years ago.  I learned a TON during that process.  I'm now on to the "fun" part of it.  When they were cutting the tree down, I asked that they cut some 3-4 inch discs.  Plan is to make a couple tables.  My initial thought is to sand them down (they've been sitting for 3 years now), stain them and lacquer them.  I have no experience with lacquer though.  Anyone have a project they've done or good "how to" resources on this process?

OK.  I am delving in to the world of Imgur to see if I can share the weekend progress on the mobile table saw/router table build.

https://imgur.com/a/xDco3PR   I hope this works.

The top is on.  The rail for the fence system creates a pretty big gap.  I'm thinking to build an insert that can slide into the t-track for when I want to use it just for assembly,

Hope to cut in for the router lift this weekend or next.  it will depend if I get the electrician out to continue work on the basement.
Looks awesome bro.  Your gonna love having it! Great job.  Keep me/us updated on the router insert.  If my wife would stop giving me project I’d finally get to mine!  Lol.  Btw what router plate insert do you have?

dkp993 said:
Looks awesome bro.  Your gonna love having it! Great job.  Keep me/us updated on the router insert.  If my wife would stop giving me project I’d finally get to mine!  Lol.  Btw what router plate insert do you have?
I went with the Jessem router lift I think it is.  I bought it a while ago, but am just getting back to things recently.   :bag:

ETA:  Glad I got the picture thing figured out.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The Commish said:
I shared on here the fiasco I underwent with a 110 foot oak tree falling through the middle of my house a few years ago.  I learned a TON during that process.  I'm now on to the "fun" part of it.  When they were cutting the tree down, I asked that they cut some 3-4 inch discs.  Plan is to make a couple tables.  My initial thought is to sand them down (they've been sitting for 3 years now), stain them and lacquer them.  I have no experience with lacquer though.  Anyone have a project they've done or good "how to" resources on this process?
M.L. Campbell satin finish is what my carpenter uses here at work.  A couple of months ago, he asked me to approve a purchase for this spray gun: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Gravity-Feed-HVLP-Spray-Gun-H4840GHVSG/203497519?modalType=drawer

If you have an air compressor, this is a good way to go about it.  He really wanted me to make sure I got him a gravity feed one.  I know there are a couple others that might be a few bucks cheaper.

The lacquer is very forgiving.  All he does is load up that husky sprayer and spray it over the surface in a nice easy back and forth pattern to get coverage.  Then after it dries, he will sand it lightly with 320 grit sand paper and then spray on a second coat.  Here is a picture of his most recent work on some lockers he made out of cherry.

https://imgur.com/a/XC7BTb6 

For clean up, he just uses PPG lacquer thinner.  Puts some in the sprayer and sprays it into a waste bucket.  Two major points for this method  1.  Use a respirator  2. Do it where there is plenty of ventilation.   You can also brush it on with a quality foam brush, but I think the sprayer gives a better result. 

M.L. Campbell satin finish is what my carpenter uses here at work.  A couple of months ago, he asked me to approve a purchase for this spray gun: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Gravity-Feed-HVLP-Spray-Gun-H4840GHVSG/203497519?modalType=drawer

If you have an air compressor, this is a good way to go about it.  He really wanted me to make sure I got him a gravity feed one.  I know there are a couple others that might be a few bucks cheaper.

The lacquer is very forgiving.  All he does is load up that husky sprayer and spray it over the surface in a nice easy back and forth pattern to get coverage.  Then after it dries, he will sand it lightly with 320 grit sand paper and then spray on a second coat.  Here is a picture of his most recent work on some lockers he made out of cherry.

https://imgur.com/a/XC7BTb6 

For clean up, he just uses PPG lacquer thinner.  Puts some in the sprayer and sprays it into a waste bucket.  Two major points for this method  1.  Use a respirator  2. Do it where there is plenty of ventilation.   You can also brush it on with a quality foam brush, but I think the sprayer gives a better result. 
I'm wondering how this would work with the "natural edge" part of the round.  I am envisioning a finish similar to what you'd find on a bar top.  I thought that was must many layers of lacquer.  Maybe I am going the wrong direction here.  I was under the impression that the lacquer was pretty thick...almost syrup like.

I'm wondering how this would work with the "natural edge" part of the round.  I am envisioning a finish similar to what you'd find on a bar top.  I thought that was must many layers of lacquer.  Maybe I am going the wrong direction here.  I was under the impression that the lacquer was pretty thick...almost syrup like.
I would imagine there are different kinds and I don't have a lot of experience with it, either.  When I think of bar-top look, I usually think of an epoxy that makes it looks like glass over top of the wood, but I'm sure lacquer could have get a similar result with the right product. 

I guess it all depends on what you are trying to achieve.  

I would imagine there are different kinds and I don't have a lot of experience with it, either.  When I think of bar-top look, I usually think of an epoxy that makes it looks like glass over top of the wood, but I'm sure lacquer could have get a similar result with the right product. 

I guess it all depends on what you are trying to achieve.  
I'm just getting into the research of "how to" on this....and most of what I'm seeing appears to be clear epoxy over a treated piece of wood that's been lacquered.  I'm also thinking that the glass over top isn't what I want in this little table.  I think it will look weird on a little side table.

i have about half of what i'd really need to do it all.   I need a joiner/planer.  could use a router.    a bunch of clamps, i'm too lazy to just grab some everytime i go to lowes/home depot.

but i have all the other stuff you need to get basic stuff done.   I've built fences, built gates, built seating/cabinets with doors, built tables.    The simplest and nicest thing i did for "decorative" purposes is i have some walnut rough planks set aside in the garage, i found a couple of them that had some nice knots, grain etc. and cut them about 2 ft wide (boards are about 8 inches wide, 1 1/4 thick.), gave them a rough sanding to remove splinters and round off the edges/corners, then just gave them 2-3 coats of a satin polyurethane, then i drilled in these fancy coat hangers, 4 per board, and mounted them in our mud room.   You can see all the wood grain, and the pits./knots/holes are black in comparison.  These boards were cut on a portable sawmill, you can still the saw marks on the wood, and I left them in there, rather then sand them out.   So i'm talking i spent maybe $40 on hooks and poly, the rest i had already.   But i get a lot of people asking me where i got them and we use the hell out of them with 6 people in the house.  so win/win

Projects i'd like to do but either too lazy or don't have the right tools:

build a fancy table top out of these walnut boards (i have 50 boards left)- need a joiner/planer and table saw

build an enterainment center that covers my entire basement wall.  Simple project but too lazy to do it.   All you need is architectural birch plywood, some 2x4 and some fancy trim/moulding 

I'd like to build a bed frame and headboard/footboard, something nicer than just boards, i mean with some style

a coffee table, with a hinged top you can use to reveal storage underneath (or slide out drawer underneath)

cutting board (simple but satisfying)

fancy chessboard (simple but satisfying)

My son is learning to build now as part of his 8th grade yearlong project, he's making an Adirondack chair out of wood and skis that you cut to make the seat and back.

build a fancy table top out of these walnut boards (i have 50 boards left)- need a joiner/planer and table saw

build an enterainment center that covers my entire basement wall.  Simple project but too lazy to do it.   All you need is architectural birch plywood, some 2x4 and some fancy trim/moulding 

I'd like to build a bed frame and headboard/footboard, something nicer than just boards, i mean with some style

a coffee table, with a hinged top you can use to reveal storage underneath (or slide out drawer underneath)

cutting board (simple but satisfying)

fancy chessboard (simple but satisfying)
All awesome projects. Buy the tools used and jump in.  My last 2 big project were my kingsize bed out of maple with “some style” (as you put it 😉) and my walnut dining room table.  By far those are the two most satisfying things I’ve ever done so I couldn’t recommend it enough for you. Just something extra cool about eating dinner every night on and going to sleep every night in something you built. Post pictures if you end up doing it, would love to see it!  

I keep seeing walnut for sale around here and I would like to pick some up for a future project, but I'm still finishing up the extra room in the basement, so the next woodworking projects are an electric fireplace and a built in unit with drawers and shelves.  No walnut in those.  My wife and I have different ideas on the furniture down there, so I've lost my creative license, for this project.   :sadbanana:

I did run dedicated circuits in the garage while I was running electric to the new room, so at least now I have an outlet for the table saw, one for the sliding miter saw, and then a few more for other needs.  I'm pretty excited about that actually.

I keep seeing walnut for sale around here and I would like to pick some up for a future project, but I'm still finishing up the extra room in the basement, so the next woodworking projects are an electric fireplace and a built in unit with drawers and shelves.  No walnut in those.  My wife and I have different ideas on the furniture down there, so I've lost my creative license, for this project.   :sadbanana:

I did run dedicated circuits in the garage while I was running electric to the new room, so at least now I have an outlet for the table saw, one for the sliding miter saw, and then a few more for other needs.  I'm pretty excited about that actually.
Buy it.  Never miss out on an opportunity to buy great wood for a good price.  You will use it at some point, especially of you get that table and miter saw 😉.  

Cool stuff Tony.  The wife and I have talked for the past year or so to buy a RV and re-do the inside. That looks great, good idea on the table too.  Is that an airstream?

*edit, never mind. Looks like we already had that conversation last year.  I must be getting old.  Lol. 

Buy it.  Never miss out on an opportunity to buy great wood for a good price.  You will use it at some point, especially of you get that table and miter saw 😉.  
Oh, I don't know that it is cheap, per se.  I am not even sure what a board-foot of walnut goes for now.  Some of it is kiln dried and some is fresh cut, so would have to air dry it and wait a while, but based on what I see, there isn't a huge difference in the prices.  I think the people selling the fresh cut are trying to make a few extra bucks.

There is a Woodcraft nearby that does have a nice selection of live edge woods.  Some exotics with prices well into the hundreds.  I don't have the skill to do something like that, but it sure would be fun to work with,

Oh, I don't know that it is cheap, per se.  I am not even sure what a board-foot of walnut goes for now.  Some of it is kiln dried and some is fresh cut, so would have to air dry it and wait a while, but based on what I see, there isn't a huge difference in the prices.  I think the people selling the fresh cut are trying to make a few extra bucks.

There is a Woodcraft nearby that does have a nice selection of live edge woods.  Some exotics with prices well into the hundreds.  I don't have the skill to do something like that, but it sure would be fun to work with,
$14 at a place like Home Depot. 

Your Home Depot’s sell walnut?  Never seen that at my HD or Lowes but would love it if they did.  I always have to go to a store specializing in hardwood.   
HD around here sells walnut sometimes. It is way more expensive there though compared to a local lumber yard.

I am finishing my porch, and have these columns.  Maybe 10" diameter (I can get the exact diameter if needed)

So...walls will have 3 or 4" baseboard.  Floor is T&G cork planks.  The question is what to do for trim around the columns where it meets the floor?  I can cut the planks to get close, but I will have a hard time getting them perfect

https://imgur.com/a/FDCZFsF

Any ideas?

edit to add: used to be clapboards on the walls which will be replaced by 1/2" drywall (thus the markings on the column)

In the picture you sent, it doesn't look like you have a very sharp angle to curve the wood around once you put the wall board and floor trim up, so if you are looking to bend the trim around them, I think using steam to bend the wood to shape would be a better, cleaner option. 

There are a few videos out there on how to do it.  Just make sure you bend em slightly more than the curve of the column because you will get a little bendback.   I can't tell what the column is made of, but if you can't use finish nails, you could just use construction adhesive.  

Another option you might look into if you haven't already bought the trim is to try a product that has enough flex to get around the column without cracking, especially if you are outside or in a higher moisture area.  You could use PVC trim.  I worked with that in my basement, and I think it has a little more flex to it.  You might need something a little stronger than CA if you use that option, though.

In the picture you sent, it doesn't look like you have a very sharp angle to curve the wood around once you put the wall board and floor trim up, so if you are looking to bend the trim around them, I think using steam to bend the wood to shape would be a better, cleaner option. 

There are a few videos out there on how to do it.  Just make sure you bend em slightly more than the curve of the column because you will get a little bendback.   I can't tell what the column is made of, but if you can't use finish nails, you could just use construction adhesive.  

Another option you might look into if you haven't already bought the trim is to try a product that has enough flex to get around the column without cracking, especially if you are outside or in a higher moisture area.  You could use PVC trim.  I worked with that in my basement, and I think it has a little more flex to it.  You might need something a little stronger than CA if you use that option, though.
It's a smaller steel column encased with a wood finish.  I can use finish nails.  

I'd be up for any of those options, maybe need to buy a section of PVC trim and see if it goes

I mentioned in the other projects thread I am turning 3 season porches into finished space

One thing is they slope to the outside wall, I believe intentionally.  The floors are flat, just pitched.  The upper one (they are stacked) a bit more than the lower.  The lower I plan to leave alone, but upper I'd like to fix.

Upper has pine planks as a subfloor.  I bought some CDX to lay over it.  I plan to level between the two layers.  What I plan to do is cut some 2x4 stock into essentially a wedge.  It slopes 1.5" over 80", so the wedge would be 1.5" high at the far side, down to 0" at the other side.  

I have a circular saw, no table saw.  I am thinking I am asking for trouble trying to get this to work well without a table saw.  Agreed?

A guy I used to be good friends with has a nice pro table saw, planning to call him.  If I understand it right, I would then cut 'super shims' like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGK3w2I_Bms

and put one at each joist (so 16" apart), then lay the CDX on top of that, screwed and glued through the shims and into the planks.  

Does this all make sense?  This is all new to me so would love feedback.  

Also, if there's a way to do it well and straightforward without the table saw I'd prefer it

Thanks

I mentioned in the other projects thread I am turning 3 season porches into finished space

One thing is they slope to the outside wall, I believe intentionally.  The floors are flat, just pitched.  The upper one (they are stacked) a bit more than the lower.  The lower I plan to leave alone, but upper I'd like to fix.

Upper has pine planks as a subfloor.  I bought some CDX to lay over it.  I plan to level between the two layers.  What I plan to do is cut some 2x4 stock into essentially a wedge.  It slopes 1.5" over 80", so the wedge would be 1.5" high at the far side, down to 0" at the other side.  

I have a circular saw, no table saw.  I am thinking I am asking for trouble trying to get this to work well without a table saw.  Agreed?

A guy I used to be good friends with has a nice pro table saw, planning to call him.  If I understand it right, I would then cut 'super shims' like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGK3w2I_Bms

and put one at each joist (so 16" apart), then lay the CDX on top of that, screwed and glued through the shims and into the planks.  

Does this all make sense?  This is all new to me so would love feedback.  

Also, if there's a way to do it well and straightforward without the table saw I'd prefer it

Thanks
https://imgur.com/gallery/hGtXsbZ

used a table saw to make the super shims. The whole thing really went off without a hitch. 

Thank you!

Yeah that’s my all purpose assembly table.  I incorporated my table saw into it so it acts as an out feed too.  Next addition to it is my router flush mounted into the top.  

https://imgur.com/gallery/LHoOfzd
Found it.

My old lady brought home this old 113 craftsman model for her birthday!

She paid $150 at an estate sale and come to find out that fence is a Birchmeyer worth $350 itself, and they aren't Made in America anymore.

So I got to work building a table for it:

https://ibb.co/bvSztMC
https://ibb.co/YP8Z5Xz

https://ibb.co/f1ZN5S6

https://ibb.co/L5JQXj9

Found it.

My old lady brought home this old 113 craftsman model for her birthday!

She paid $150 at an estate sale and come to find out that fence is a Birchmeyer worth $350 itself, and they aren't Made in America anymore.

So I got to work building a table for it:

https://ibb.co/tbCCvpN

https://ibb.co/bvSztMC
https://ibb.co/YP8Z5Xz

https://ibb.co/f1ZN5S6

https://ibb.co/L5JQXj9
Nice! The inclusion of the router into it is nice too   

Great find in the saw.  My Ryobi is literally the first piece of equipment I bought when I started doing woodworking almost 15yrs ago.  I’ve been secretly hope for it to take a dump for quite a few years now so I can upgrade to a big boy saw but the damn thing keeps on chugging along. Lol

Currently working on the fence for the router.  It's only half way done, I need to build and add the sliding fronts.

https://ibb.co/m4sSzwc

https://ibb.co/2SbF2mZ

I built the table and fence by following on old plan out of Shop Notes.  If anyone is interested I have all 290some Shop Notes and diagrams in PDF.  They are great for projects.

Still need to build a sled for the saw.  And a zero clearance insert.  

Nice! The inclusion of the router into it is nice too   

Great find in the saw.  My Ryobi is literally the first piece of equipment I bought when I started doing woodworking almost 15yrs ago.  I’ve been secretly hope for it to take a dump for quite a few years now so I can upgrade to a big boy saw but the damn thing keeps on chugging along. Lol
If you are looking for something in between, like me who isn't quite ready for a several thousand dollar cabinet saw, these old 113 models are great and there were enough of them produced that you should be able to find one for around $150.  You can wire them for 220 if you get one with the right motor if you need more power.

Currently working on the fence for the router.  It's only half way done, I need to build and add the sliding fronts.

https://ibb.co/m4sSzwc

https://ibb.co/2SbF2mZ

I built the table and fence by following on old plan out of Shop Notes.  If anyone is interested I have all 290some Shop Notes and diagrams in PDF.  They are great for projects.

Still need to build a sled for the saw.  And a zero clearance insert.  
Interested....

not much to add because I cant cut a 2x4 straight. But have been living vicariously though this guys youtube channel. 

Burbon Moth 
At the end of his home video (tour of his workshop) he shows his fit-up workbench.  That's what I want to do next.  Something like this.  I didn't see that he had a front face vice on there tho.
Prior to building my current one I did a ton of research, was really close to building a Roubo style not to unlike the one you linked here Tony and I still likely will once I have a dedicated workshop. It’s bad ###.  I ultimately went the way I did because I needed mobility and needed to incorporate my table saw but look forward to building one in the future.   

Users who are viewing this thread