What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lets talk wood (working) and tools (1 Viewer)

Same here.  I think a lathe is pretty far down my list.  Not because I don't want to learn, but there is just so much else to do first.  I do have a bandsaw on the list somewhere, but there again, my list could be 100 items long if I just gave it an afternoon to think about it. 

I think it really depends on what you like to do and what projects give you the most satisfaction.  If you like turning, then maybe that's really all you need.  

It will be cool if people start posting pictures of their work they are proud of.  I'm hoping to make something to be proud of eventually.
Walnut countertop.  Real rail and stile ogee cabinet doors. 

Link 2

Link 3

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be cool if people start posting pictures of their work they are proud of.  I'm hoping to make something to be proud of eventually.
I was gonna til I saw that walnut counter... 

maybe a little later once the jealousy wears off 

I built a pantry and a bunk bed. Kreg pocket jig for joinery. 

El Floppo said:
dot.

design the stuff, can't build it. but I can post some fun things as they get built.. if people are interested.
Do it. Design is my weakest part, always on the lookout for cool projects.  

That’s sweet.  My wife and I have talked recently about finding an old Airstream with good bones and redoing the inside ourselves (which basically means me, lol).  
Start looking now, it took me eight months to find the one that fit my criteria, and i got really really lucky.  I live close to a dealership and they never ever have any old ones.  They occasionally get 5-10 year old trade ins that sell immediately.

I wanted 70's for two reasons: a) they started putting dual axels and electric brakes on the 25 footers in 1970. and b) they moved the bathroom from the back to the middle of the trailers in 1980 (so people wouldn't have to walk through the bedroom to get to the bathroom) and I wanted the bathroom in the back.  Pre-1970 you might find real wood and things you want to keep or refurbish.  In the 70s and 80s its all particle board and vinyl so you want to get rid of it all (If you strip the vinyl off the interior skin there is nice shiny aluminum under there.).

Sorry for the hijack.  

Start looking now, it took me eight months to find the one that fit my criteria, and i got really really lucky.  I live close to a dealership and they never ever have any old ones.  They occasionally get 5-10 year old trade ins that sell immediately.

I wanted 70's for two reasons: a) they started putting dual axels and electric brakes on the 25 footers in 1970. and b) they moved the bathroom from the back to the middle of the trailers in 1980 (so people wouldn't have to walk through the bedroom to get to the bathroom) and I wanted the bathroom in the back.  Pre-1970 you might find real wood and things you want to keep or refurbish.  In the 70s and 80s its all particle board and vinyl so you want to get rid of it all (If you strip the vinyl off the interior skin there is nice shiny aluminum under there.).

Sorry for the hijack.  
Great info. Thanks!  We’re just in the discussion stage and haven’t started researching.  This will help.  

Newbie image poster attempt:

Two rocking horses I made. One for daughter and one for god daughter. Didn't quite make the deadline for finishing the walnut one before the big day... That was addressed later. The original riders have moved on to college. The horses still attract young riders when they visit.

https://i.imgur.com/c6drYO8.jpg

Some turnings:

https://i.imgur.com/kp1jVeH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2UwNj6X.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YNnw2lA.jpg

ETA: Well, crap the thread was already won. I would delete this post if I knew how. 😉

Two rocking horses I made. One for daughter and one for god daughter. Didn't quite make the deadline for finishing the walnut one before the big day... That was addressed later. The original riders have moved on to college. The horses still attract young riders when they visit.

Some turnings:

ETA: Well, crap the thread was already won. I would delete this post if I knew how. 😉
No winners or losers. Nice work!  

Some turnings:

Get out of here...awesome stuff.  :thumbup:

Get out of here...awesome stuff.  :thumbup:
Thanks. I had to laugh at my timing tho.

I am trying to learn sketch up too. My next project isn't nearly as glamorous. I am making a rolling cart for my grinder. I wanna have drawers for the sundry lathe tools that seem to multiply. I could wing it, but was using the project as a way to learn sketchup. So far that has been a lot of trial and error, it doesn't quite work the way I think it so. So its been more error than trial.  I'll be down to one kid in the house this fall, meaning more free time, so I am hoping I can get after it with more regularity then.

Very nice!

My wife is wanting me to attempt something similar for our kitchen. I have quite a few tools but have never attempted something of this magnitude. Did you use some type of plan or pattern or did you design this yourself? 
Lots of examples, google face frame cabinet door kreg pocket holes. One example

https://www.kregtool.com/webres/Files/basic_cabinetmaking_booklet.pdf

if there’s one part that is tricky is I cut a groove on the rails and stiles to slide the panel in. I used 1/4” bead board for my panel. My buddy has a real nice table saw and we used that to cut the groove, two passes (ie two blade widths). Don’t go too wide or the panel could rattle. 

honestly it’s fairly straightforward other than cutting that groove. 

dkp993 said:
Finally figured out how to post some pics here...

Coronavirus lock down has allowed me some time to finish up the dining room table I’ve been working on.  The top is 58inchs square (wife wanted a square table) and 2 inches thick 😳.  Table is built to seat 8. The top is easily 200lbs+.  
:thumbup:

Great looking table.  Thanks for the pics.  It certainly looks sturdy.  🙂 

A couple of recent projects...

potting bench

workbench

another

Nothing too fancy but I have a bunch of older tools from my grandfather that I would one day like to utilize to their fullest extent.  My work shop is fairly limited to a DeWalt mitre saw and some other random power tools.  I did use a Kreg pocket jig for a drawer to a chicken coop I panic built a few years ago.

Coop

nesting boxes

opened

with pen

Sort of jealous of your clean shop.  I have to do some track and field events to get through mine.  Getting pretty good at the triple jump.    
Lol.  In fairness I had just cleaned up for the day.  Unfortunately my garage is my shop too so I need to do the car shuffle when I’m working on something.  Next house will have a dedicated shop space.   

Thank you!

Yeah that’s my all purpose assembly table.  I incorporated my table saw into it so it acts as an out feed too.  Next addition to it is my router flush mounted into the top.  

https://imgur.com/gallery/LHoOfzd
You're making me jealous with your organization.  I need to get there, but I have a ways to go.  Been trying to build my all purpose assembly table for a while, but keep getting re-routed.  Right now I am working on finishing an extra room off the basement, but as I wait for my electrician buddy to swing by, I might have some time to finish up the table.  I got stuck on the dust collection that I was incorporating, and then got lazy over the winter.

Is the Porter Cable jointer worth the money?   Is that a harbor freight dust collection system?  I have heard good things about them for the money.  

Nice shop.  It must be so nice to get out and work in an organized area like that.  You are inspiring me to get mine done ASAP.

You're making me jealous with your organization.  I need to get there, but I have a ways to go.  Been trying to build my all purpose assembly table for a while, but keep getting re-routed.  Right now I am working on finishing an extra room off the basement, but as I wait for my electrician buddy to swing by, I might have some time to finish up the table.  I got stuck on the dust collection that I was incorporating, and then got lazy over the winter.

Is the Porter Cable jointer worth the money?   Is that a harbor freight dust collection system?  I have heard good things about them for the money.  

Nice shop.  It must be so nice to get out and work in an organized area like that.  You are inspiring me to get mine done ASAP.
Yeah I get in those routs with projects too.  With my workbench I was highly motivated as my other bench was the very first thing I had ever built.  It was making projects harder, it wasn’t flat anymore, too small, etc so it was a must.  This bench was built to grow with my skill sets with add-ons like the router into the top, more organized storage on the bottom, replaceable top, etc. I just haven’t gotten around to those parts yet, lol, other projects have caught me eye.  

When I started doing woodworking I had no idea if I’d like it or be good at it so I bought cheap tools like my Ryobi table saw and the cheap drill press.  As I decided I enjoy it (good at it is still up for debate) I started buying better tools.  Not top tier like Festool but quality stuff.  It’s made a difference I can absolutely say.  So far every investment has paid off huge dividends of time and frustration.  So yes the PC was well worth it.  Also on a side note the PC jointer and the Dewalt planer I brought last year have been the best thing for my woodworking.   Not sure how I did anything without them. 

The HF dust collector has been without a doubt the best value thing I’ve purchased.  It’s worked perfect for 10 years and my cleanup is 10x faster and easier.  Love it!  My next project for my “shop”/garage is to route vacuum lines along the ceiling to my different work stations.

dkp993 said:
Yeah I get in those routs with projects too.  With my workbench I was highly motivated as my other bench was the very first thing I had ever built.  It was making projects harder, it wasn’t flat anymore, too small, etc so it was a must.  This bench was built to grow with my skill sets with add-ons like the router into the top, more organized storage on the bottom, replaceable top, etc. I just haven’t gotten around to those parts yet, lol, other projects have caught me eye.  

When I started doing woodworking I had no idea if I’d like it or be good at it so I bought cheap tools like my Ryobi table saw and the cheap drill press.  As I decided I enjoy it (good at it is still up for debate) I started buying better tools.  Not top tier like Festool but quality stuff.  It’s made a difference I can absolutely say.  So far every investment has paid off huge dividends of time and frustration.  So yes the PC was well worth it.  Also on a side note the PC jointer and the Dewalt planer I brought last year have been the best thing for my woodworking.   Not sure how I did anything without them. 

The HF dust collector has been without a doubt the best value thing I’ve purchased.  It’s worked perfect for 10 years and my cleanup is 10x faster and easier.  Love it!  My next project for my “shop”/garage is to route vacuum lines along the ceiling to my different work stations.
Good stuff.  Thanks for sharing.  I swear I am going to get a project done and figure out how to post some pictures.  Your miter station is also pretty close to what I am looking to do.  I like the extended outfeed set up.  

I have convinced myself that I would be better and enjoy woodworking more if I had straight wood to work with.  Its frustrating to line it all up just to end up with a bow or twist.  Lumber is a bit cheaper as well, so there is that.  

Last night, I was watching some youtube videos, and my wife came in the room.  I went over to a live edge epoxy table video, and now she wants one.  :)   I think I want to start small with that since I haven't done an epoxy pour before, but I really want to do that for a bar top in the basement. 

Good stuff.  Thanks for sharing.  I swear I am going to get a project done and figure out how to post some pictures.  Your miter station is also pretty close to what I am looking to do.  I like the extended outfeed set up.  

I have convinced myself that I would be better and enjoy woodworking more if I had straight wood to work with.  Its frustrating to line it all up just to end up with a bow or twist.  Lumber is a bit cheaper as well, so there is that.  

Last night, I was watching some youtube videos, and my wife came in the room.  I went over to a live edge epoxy table video, and now she wants one.  :)   I think I want to start small with that since I haven't done an epoxy pour before, but I really want to do that for a bar top in the basement. 
The miter saw station without question gets the most work in my shop.  And with the stop fence I added it makes perfect repeatable same length cuts which is an absolute god send.  

Flat, straight wood is a must. My projects went to a whole ‘nother level once I started using my jointer, and again with the planer.  I HIGHLY recommend getting both.

Honestly YouTube has been awesome for me with this hobby.  I literally watch woodworking videos almost every single night, I’m addicted.  And the walnut/epoxy tabletop videos are amazing. I so badly want to try that but my wife thinks they look to “modern” for her style.  🙄

The miter saw station without question gets the most work in my shop.  And with the stop fence I added it makes perfect repeatable same length cuts which is an absolute god send.  

Flat, straight wood is a must. My projects went to a whole ‘nother level once I started using my jointer, and again with the planer.  I HIGHLY recommend getting both.

Honestly YouTube has been awesome for me with this hobby.  I literally watch woodworking videos almost every single night, I’m addicted.  And the walnut/epoxy tabletop videos are amazing. I so badly want to try that but my wife thinks they look to “modern” for her style.  🙄
https://www.perigold.com/Arditi-Collection--Walnut-Solid-Wood-Dining-Table-TRC230100BLGSWL-L147-K~ADTI1069.html?refid=GX383761366011-ADTI1069&device=c&ptid=889411700625&targetid=pla-889411700625&ireid=99839901&gclid=CjwKCAjwhOD0BRAQEiwAK7JHmI7hCzOkwCn_z5wJmQ-JizADYjg4o4PftHf9xs3C5_dR8zE8BpLiZBoCqGYQAvD_BwE

Show her the price on this.   :P

This is the single biggest reason I want one.  I swear, I could have cut 6 hours off my framing in the basement if I had a stop block ability set up.  

Man, I really should have built a proper miter station like 10 years ago.   I love the idea of the stop block but with the built in t-track.  And I'm not sure if I even need it but I so want to build this workbench https://www.remodelaholic.com/table-saw-workbench-building-plans-rockler-t-track-system/.   I do like how yours has the greater length to support longer rip cuts.

And I really need a bigger workshop.   I might need to have a separate structure built.   Something with really high ceilings so I can have one of those golf simulators.

Man, I really should have built a proper miter station like 10 years ago.   I love the idea of the stop block but with the built in t-track.  And I'm not sure if I even need it but I so want to build this workbench https://www.remodelaholic.com/table-saw-workbench-building-plans-rockler-t-track-system/.   I do like how yours has the greater length to support longer rip cuts.

And I really need a bigger workshop.   I might need to have a separate structure built.   Something with really high ceilings so I can have one of those golf simulators.
That’s funny because that video and bench inspired me to build mine.  I didn’t copy his exactly as I didn’t want my saw in the middle of the table but his bench is what got me going on mine. I will be doing my router like his. Must have watched that video 25 times, lol.  

Who else has this hobby or just wants to list their tools?  I would be interested in what people think of their brand.  We use a lot of Milwaukee tools at work, and they are pretty good, but I don't have any.
Don't know how I missed this thread over the past year.

I generally have Makita tools. Got a driver/drill set years ago, then you sort of get stuck in oen brand so you can use battery and charger. I do have a handful of Milwaukee, Dewalt, Panasonic, and Rigid. But in general, my cordless Makita's get used all the time.

Big fan of how much cordless tools have improved over the past few years. If you asked me 7 years ago whether I would recommend a cordless circular saw, or sawzall, or angle grinder, etc. I would have told you to stay far away. Now, I rarely use any corded tools.

Issue I have been having these past couple years, is the fact that my two jobs I have, I spend a lot of my time designing and building stuff. Job 1 is running the design and fabrication in a museum. Job 2 is doing public art around the cities. So...when I get home, or have some free time, I tend to not want to design/build stuff for fun. I miss that though. I used to always have multiple projects going on. I would be building a guitar, designing a tree house, putting finishing touches on a chair, etc. Not anymore though :kicksrock:

I generally have Makita tools. Got a driver/drill set years ago, then you sort of get stuck in oen brand so you can use battery and charger. I do have a handful of Milwaukee, Dewalt, Panasonic, and Rigid. But in general, my cordless Makita's get used all the time.

Big fan of how much cordless tools have improved over the past few years. If you asked me 7 years ago whether I would recommend a cordless circular saw, or sawzall, or angle grinder, etc. I would have told you to stay far away. Now, I rarely use any corded tools.

Issue I have been having these past couple years, is the fact that my two jobs I have, I spend a lot of my time designing and building stuff. Job 1 is running the design and fabrication in a museum. Job 2 is doing public art around the cities. So...when I get home, or have some free time, I tend to not want to design/build stuff for fun. I miss that though. I used to always have multiple projects going on. I would be building a guitar, designing a tree house, putting finishing touches on a chair, etc. Not anymore though :kicksrock:
Kinda like how great car mechanics always seem to drive ####ty cars. Lol. They work on cars all day and the last thing they want to do is come home and do it.  

Welcome to the thread.  Hopefully you will see something in here that might inspire you to get back to it.  (if that's what you want).

I know @dkp993 has got me ready to go moving forward on some things this weekend.  I can't wait to get home from work today.  :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread