What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lets talk wood (working) and tools (1 Viewer)

I will preface this by saying I have no experience, but am willing to learn and get the right tools / take the time to do this right.  

We have a 10'L pecan wood dining table w/ live edges that I'd like to refinish.  The carpenter originally stained it quite dark, and the semi-glossy 'finish' has a few spots that are starting to flake off (after ~10 years of use).  Our preference is to finish this piece with a more natural or light color finish.  There is also one area near an end that has some 1/8" cracks on top that, while I don't think are expanding, could be filled in during this process. The carpenter built bowties on the other end which have kept it solid.

So ... I guess my question is, has anyone worked w/ pecan before? And what would be the recommended process for stripping this down, sanding & refinishing.  I will have plenty of space outside and a dry climate to work in ... hoping to tackle this summer.  Thoughts on tools, finish options, or online resources (haven't gone down the youtube rabbit hole yet) would be so helpful.  Also if you think I should do something less drastic to avoid damaging the piece. Thanks guys.

Anyone here use Flex power tools? Been seeing them at Lowes and most of the reviews are really good but thought I'd check in here. 

Just got a new teak double vanity. Was painting and got a drip of primer on one of the cabinet doors. Thought I could just scrape it off, well the ******* wouldn’t let go. Ended up with some fine sandpaper to remove. The result is not great. 

what is next move? I don’t mind sanding the whole door down, but the sanded part is definitely lighter. Don’t want it to not match the other door. I bought a teak sealer but haven’t applied it yet. Also have a danish oil i could use after sanding it but again worry about matching the other door. Unless I do the same for both doors? 

it’s this unit

https://www.signaturehardware.com/60in-bivins-teak-double-vessel-sink-vanity-natural-teak-double-4.html

here is the sanded area 

https://imgur.com/a/ATRlvCT

Users who are viewing this thread