What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lions News... Harrington and Backus (1 Viewer)

blend

Footballguy
Got this off a Lions Message Board -- I think it's legit...

From Mike O'Hara - beat writer for the DetNews...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...PDATE/602210433

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions are going into free-agency and the draft with the feeling that Joey Harrington is their starting quarterback.

Head coach Rod Marinelli and Lions president Matt Millen gave strong support to Harrington as the starter Tuesday is an interview with beat writers.

Harrington's status has grown stronger, with input from Mike Martz, who was hired as offensive coordinator on Feb. 7.

"We all sat down and watched him," Marinelli said. "He (Martz) sees a lot of really good, positive things from this guy -- a lot of skill, a lot of things that we like. We're just moving right down the road with him. We're going to coach this guy real hard.

"Off of film, you can see all the upside to him -- tremendous upside. As of right now, there's a very good feeling about him."

Harrington's contract it not an issue, Millen said. Harrington has two years left on his contract, and a bonus payment of $4 million is due on June 15 -- well after the draft (April 29-30) and the free-agent signing period, which begins March 3. The timing of the bonus gives no leverage to Harrington.

Millen has been a strong supporter of Harrington's since drafting him on the first round in 2002 but has given Marinelli a free hand in choosing a starter.

"I think we have our starter," Millen said.

The Lions will not hesitate to designate free-agent offensive tackle Jeff Backus as their transition or franchise player by the 4 p.m. deadline Thursday, Millen said. Both tags would give the Lions leverage to retain the rights to Backus in free-agency.

The Lions are trying to work out a contract with Backus in advance of Thursday's deadline, Millen said. Backus has started 80 straight games since the Lions drafted him on the first round in 2001.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got this off a Lions Message Board -- I think it's legit...

From Mike O'Hara - beat writer for the DetNews...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...PDATE/602210433

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions are going into free-agency and the draft with the feeling that Joey Harrington is their starting quarterback.

Head coach Rod Marinelli and Lions president Matt Millen gave strong support to Harrington as the starter Tuesday is an interview with beat writers.

Harrington's status has grown stronger, with input from Mike Martz, who was hired as offensive coordinator on Feb. 7.

"We all sat down and watched him," Marinelli said. "He (Martz) sees a lot of really good, positive things from this guy -- a lot of skill, a lot of things that we like. We're just moving right down the road with him. We're going to coach this guy real hard.

"Off of film, you can see all the upside to him -- tremendous upside. As of right now, there's a very good feeling about him."

Harrington's contract it not an issue, Millen said. Harrington has two years left on his contract, and a bonus payment of $4 million is due on June 15 -- well after the draft (April 29-30) and the free-agent signing period, which begins March 3. The timing of the bonus gives no leverage to Harrington.

Millen has been a strong supporter of Harrington's since drafting him on the first round in 2002 but has given Marinelli a free hand in choosing a starter.

"I think we have our starter," Millen said.

The Lions will not hesitate to designate free-agent offensive tackle Jeff Backus as their transition or franchise player by the 4 p.m. deadline Thursday, Millen said. Both tags would give the Lions leverage to retain the rights to Backus in free-agency.

The Lions are trying to work out a contract with Backus in advance of Thursday's deadline, Millen said. Backus has started 80 straight games since the Lions drafted him on the first round in 2001.
Imagine that, Millen backing Harrington.This is getting off to a great start already.

well....as a Bills fan, i think I am a little disappointed in the Backus info.

the somewhat "young" talent in the OL Free Agent pool is thin to begin with.

Not surprising. I think Harrington is a Martz type QB - he can make quick decisions and throw accurate passes with some zip on them.

Where Harrington sucks is his mobility, his ability to deal with pressure and create anything out of a broken play. Warner was not good in that regard either. The spread tries to keep the QB out of these situations.

:lmao: So the new staff watches some film, sees Harrington make some good throws, and he's already got their support as the starter?!?? This same thing has happened for like the last 4 years.

How about talking to the guys on the team to get a feeling for how he is in the huddle (I'm assuming not very good). How about watching the tape of that smiling face answering questions on the sideline after a 40 pt loss? Ugh.

Not surprising. I think Harrington is a Martz type QB - he can make quick decisions and throw accurate passes with some zip on them.

Where Harrington sucks is his mobility, his ability to deal with pressure and create anything out of a broken play. Warner was not good in that regard either. The spread tries to keep the QB out of these situations.
He doesn't make quick decisions and he's not accurate. How many chances is Joey going to get? Pull the plug on this guy already. I wanted nothing more than for him to succeed, but it's clear he doesn't have "it". This is not the guy you want to carry the franchise.

I still think Harrington can do well. He was a bad fit for the WCO that Mooch tried to use and before Mooch, he had very little talent around him and had an even worse coach. I think the guy is going to prove everyone wrong this season. Martz can work wonders with QB.

I feel bad for lion fans and this is comming from a Card fan.

Next year they will suck again with them pulling Joey midway threw and Millen getting fired .

Makes good decisions? Nope.

Is accurate? Hardly.

They need to move on without Harrington. I am still intrigued by Orlovsky, and think he might get a chance ala Marc Bulger at some point.

Have you been watching the same Harrington as the rest of us? :unsure:
It seems to me they are just trying to put out in the media that they like him to build a little confidence.... he seems on the verge of going Ryan Leaf.

OTOH...

martz turned unknowns warner & bulger into superstars... with harrington, he gets a chance to mold a player of much higher pedigree...

maybe he will never get it... but he has never had a coach as good as martz before... that is a given...

accuracy is NOT a strength of harrington... but in some cases it is a correctable problem, having to do with proper footwork, mechanics, release point, etc... i agree that he is not at his best under pressure & hasn't been an exceptional leader to date...

if he starts winning, though, that is probably the most important criteria in his teammates eyes...

things in his favor...

it is hard to see how KJ won't be used more intelligently by the current coaching regime... having a dangerous & explosive run game could help take a lot of pressure off...

OL like backus & woody are solid & competent, & may be better than they looked in old scheme...

while roy williams, charles rogers & mike williams are more imposing on paper... there remains the possibility that they could do some damage if marinelli & martz light a fire under their collective behinds...

harrington has a strong, if not accurate arm... if martz can improve the accuracy, he has some raw materials to work with...

Tough to doubt Martz track record with QB's versus arm chair coaches.

I think Harrington will do well - when he had to stretch the field - he did well.

Have you been watching the same Harrington as the rest of us? :unsure:
It seems to me they are just trying to put out in the media that they like him to build a little confidence.... he seems on the verge of going Ryan Leaf.
:rolleyes: God people are clueless. :no:

Until Joey gets an O-line, he will look like crap. :hot:
So first it was the talent at the skill positions around him, then it was the coaching and WCO, and now it's the o-line. Might as well start making excuses that involve Martz because that's where we'll be 1 year from now.Good QBs find a way to win games. The only thing Harrington has shown in 4 years is that he can occasionally make a good throw. Stop making excuses for him.

I don't think Harrington is the answer, but I like the stance they're taking with him.

Martz has shown the ability to work genuine miracles with no-name QB's. He (or his system) turned a grocery bagger into a legend, and a draft day afterthought into a Pro Bowler.

That doesn't mean Harrington has the goods to repeat that success, but that's not the issue. Given Martz's success with no-names, the smart thing to do would seem to be...first, tell Joey they believe in him, and see what he can do. NOT because they genuinely believe in him, but because with Martz's history of making silk purses out of sows' ears, they'd be nuts to pursue any FA or draft day QB who actually commanded a big price tag.

After that, consult Martz as to what later-round or bargain-basement FA QB's have what HE believes are the correct physical and mental attributes to succeed for him, in his system. If he can do it with Warner and Bulger, there's no reason to suspect he can't pick another winner out of the group of 50 or so candidates available for right around the league minimum.

Pay Joey lip service now, let the mad scientist hand pick his no-name replacement, announce to the astonishment of the world that the no-name is outperforming Joey in camp, and let it develop. You'd be crazy to go out and spend on a name QB, when you've already spent on a system with a history of no-names who excel at that position.

If Joey proves to be capable under Martz, then you've lost nothing by paying him a few compliments. If he doesn't, I have faith that Martz can find a guy who will...for peanuts.

I don't think Harrington is the answer, but I like the stance they're taking with him.

Martz has shown the ability to work genuine miracles with no-name QB's. He (or his system) turned a grocery bagger into a legend, and a draft day afterthought into a Pro Bowler.

That doesn't mean Harrington has the goods to repeat that success, but that's not the issue. Given Martz's success with no-names, the smart thing to do would seem to be...first, tell Joey they believe in him, and see what he can do. NOT because they genuinely believe in him, but because with Martz's history of making silk purses out of sows' ears, they'd be nuts to pursue any FA or draft day QB who actually commanded a big price tag.

After that, consult Martz as to what later-round or bargain-basement FA QB's have what HE believes are the correct physical and mental attributes to succeed for him, in his system. If he can do it with Warner and Bulger, there's no reason to suspect he can't pick another winner out of the group of 50 or so candidates available for right around the league minimum.

Pay Joey lip service now, let the mad scientist hand pick his no-name replacement, announce to the astonishment of the world that the no-name is outperforming Joey in camp, and let it develop. You'd be crazy to go out and spend on a name QB, when you've already spent on a system with a history of no-names who excel at that position.

If Joey proves to be capable under Martz, then you've lost nothing by paying him a few compliments. If he doesn't, I have faith that Martz can find a guy who will...for peanuts.
:goodposting: This could all be talk, but either way it is the right way to go in February.

What happens if Brees decides he wants to play for Martz and signs for less money than he is worth. They will back pedal awfully quickly. As a Brees and Roy Williams owner, I would love this, but it's just wishful thinking at this point.

I agree with the Martz and Harrington backers for the most part. Martz has made more with much less. If Testeverde can make a name for himself in NY of all places, Dilfer can win a SB, Kurt Warner can be cut by the Packers and be league MVP a couple of times, then I think Harrington can become a QB in the NFL. I just don't think that he can do that in Detroit. He has everything in place to flourish but the fans will rip him as soon as he throws an incompletion.

Remember, Martz doesn't care if his QB throws a few picks or some incompletions. When you chuck the ball as much as the Martz O does, then there are more picks and incompletions than a normal balanced O. The Detroit faithful need hold back on the boos or this kid will never develop.

OTOH...

martz turned unknowns warner & bulger into superstars... with harrington, he gets a chance to mold a player of much higher pedigree...

maybe he will never get it... but he has never had a coach as good as martz before... that is a given...

accuracy is NOT a strength of harrington... but in some cases it is a correctable problem, having to do with proper footwork, mechanics, release point, etc... i agree that he is not at his best under pressure & hasn't been an exceptional leader to date...

if he starts winning, though, that is probably the most important criteria in his teammates eyes...

things in his favor...

it is hard to see how KJ won't be used more intelligently by the current coaching regime... having a dangerous & explosive run game could help take a lot of pressure off...

OL like backus & woody are solid & competent, & may be better than they looked in old scheme...

while roy williams, charles rogers & mike williams are more imposing on paper... there remains the possibility that they could do some damage if marinelli & martz light a fire under their collective behinds...

harrington has a strong, if not accurate arm... if martz can improve the accuracy, he has some raw materials to work with...
I'm not so sure Martz will use his running backs intelligently

So first it was the talent at the skill positions around him, then it was the coaching and WCO, and now it's the o-line. Might as well start making excuses that involve Martz because that's where we'll be 1 year from now.Good QBs find a way to win games. The only thing Harrington has shown in 4 years is that he can occasionally make a good throw. Stop making excuses for him.
Have you watched any Lions games?

there was a little known RB named marshall faulk who put up decent stats under martz... remember that faulk hasn't been in his prime due to chronic, degenerative knees for about three seasons... he was used more in the super bowl run era, when he was healthier...

in recent seasons, martz had the capability to throw a lot with pro bowler bulger... even for martz, it should make sense to put the ball in KJs hands... steven jackson has some skills, but imo jones is more natural & instinctive, & the superior pure runner...

also, it was easier to call 50 pass plays a game when he was calling the shots... i don't know how marinelli has delegated play calling responsibilities, but i have doubts if he would let martz get away with that...

there seems to be a wide spread assumtion that martz is incapable of learning from his mistakes... he does have an ego but at some level he may see a connection between scathing, withering criticism that he passed too much & his getting fired... you can be sure he wants to be a HC in the NFL again... if running a more balanced attack enables & facilitates that... imo he is capable of recognizing this & acting accordingly...

i don't recall exactly when martz left STL for medical reasons (playcalling may have changed)... but through first eight games, jax had LESS than 17 carries twice... in the same span, KJ got LESS than 17 carries four times...

reception are another way to get the ball in your playmakers hands... KJ had more than two receptions only once through first eight games (he was also injured & missed a lot of time in second half, so i used games where we can get side by side comparison with when martz was still in STL)... jax had more than two receptions four times in that same interval...

though in fairness, i mentioned the run game... i could have qualified it & been more specific by stating that martz will use KJ more intelligently than mooch... this could include involving him in passing game with screens (he has at times, at his best, demonstrated good patience & vision for a young runner... better than jackson even)...

if martz identifies KJ as most talented RB on roster (seemingly a formality & foregone conclusion), i don't think we will see carries get stolen from him by pinner & bryson as much... as loyal as martz is to vets, he was capable of realizing it was time to feed the ball to jax more, even at the expense of faulk & putting the future HOFer in a reduced, backup role.

rams defense was putrid last few years under marmie... though they don't have the greatest personnel in the league, imo the lions defense will be better under marinelli's tutelage... if they aren't getting blown out by 20 points in the first half... this would also be a more favorable circumstance to running a more balanced attack...

Related:

"Nicholas J. Cotsonika, of the Detroit Free Press, reports Detroit Lions WR Charles Rogers will return to the Lions in 2006, team president Matt Millen said Tuesday, Feb. 21. He had better be ready to work hard. Rogers is relatively cheap to bring back. His lack of playing time kept him from triggering escalator clauses in his contract, and his base salary is $757,917 for 2006. The new coaches say they will demand more of Rogers and fellow WRs Roy E. Williams and Mike Williams."--KFFL (I believe)

No chance Backus gets tagged with the Franchise tag.
:goodposting: Doesn't the franchise tag require that the player be paid the average of the top 5 players at their position? No way in hell does Backus get paid on par with guys like Walter Jones, Pace, and Ogden. Not even Millen could be that stupid, could he? :scared:

Have you watched any Lions games?
Yes.

:goodposting: Doesn't the franchise tag require that the player be paid the average of the top 5 players at their position? No way in hell does Backus get paid on par with guys like Walter Jones, Pace, and Ogden. Not even Millen could be that stupid, could he? :scared:
it was never said that they would use the franchise tag. only that they would use a tag. they'll use the transition tag which would pay him an avg of the top 10 LT's in the game.

it was never said that they would use the franchise tag. only that they would use a tag. they'll use the transition tag which would pay him an avg of the top 10 LT's in the game.
The bad part is that those two tags are only about 600k apart.. IIRC, it was 6.9mil for Franchise tag and 6.3 for Transition Tag..

The bad part is that those two tags are only about 600k apart.. IIRC, it was 6.9mil for Franchise tag and 6.3 for Transition Tag..
I'm torn about this. On the one hand you could argue that at the current market Backus isn't worth a transition tag. On the other hand, letting him walk and then going out and signing a good vet would cost just as much--if not more--than putting the transition tag on Backus. Furthermore, today's contracts become tomorrow's bargains. When the Lions signed Bly three years ago, people howled over how they "overpaid" for him. But within a short year or two, his contract was a nice bargain when compared to what other all-pro corners--and stiffs--were getting.

Tagging Backus might mean overpaying NOW...but it might be the best move overall for the Lions right now.

OTOH...

things in his favor...

I don't think Joey's problems are correctable. You can correct poor mechanics, but you can't correct a poor mental makeup. I'm not saying Joey is "special" or lacks intelligence. But he does appear to lack the ability to quickly process mulitple bits of information while under pressure. Kyle Boller also appears to have that problem. He does not seem to have the mental brain type, or personality type for that matter, that you would desire to have in a QB. He's not Ryan Leaf, but he also will never be Tom Brady.

I think the best you can hope for with Joey is a serviceable QB that will put up average numbers when provided with decent OL protection. He doesn't have much upside beyond that. He's not going to change the face of the franchise.

OTOH...

things in his favor...

I don't think Joey's problems are correctable. You can correct poor mechanics, but you can't correct a poor mental makeup. I'm not saying Joey is "special" or lacks intelligence. But he does appear to lack the ability to quickly process mulitple bits of information while under pressure. Kyle Boller also appears to have that problem. He does not seem to have the mental brain type, or personality type for that matter, that you would desire to have in a QB. He's not Ryan Leaf, but he also will never be Tom Brady.

I think the best you can hope for with Joey is a serviceable QB that will put up average numbers when provided with decent OL protection. He doesn't have much upside beyond that. He's not going to change the face of the franchise.
What a relief. I don't have to listen to Martz or believe a word he says now.

well....as a Bills fan, i think I am a little disappointed in the Backus info.

the somewhat "young" talent in the OL Free Agent pool is thin to begin with.
Looks like Ashworth is going to be one of the only worthwhile pickups. Fabini is a risk but could be alright for a couple of years.

You probably still think Darko is going to be an all-star just because Dumars said he's good in practice.
So Dumars trading Darko proves that I should listen to posters here instead of Martz. Brilliant.

And again, what a relief.

Btw: perhaps you missed it: the Pistons have been to the finals two straight years, have the best record in the NBA this year, and had their entire starting lineup sans Prince on the floor at one time during the all-star game this year.

This quote here says all we need to know about Joey's term under Mooch:

"One of the first things he [Martz] said is, 'I believe in you,' " Harrington told the paper by telephone from Newport Beach, Calif., where he is working out. "From what he said, he thinks I'm a good player. It's nice to have the support of a coach again."

You probably still think Darko is going to be an all-star just because Dumars said he's good in practice.
So Dumars trading Darko proves that I should listen to posters here instead of Martz. Brilliant.
No, Dumars trading Darko proves that there is such a thing as coachspeak (or GMspeak). Martz can say that Joey is the starter but that doesn't guarantee 1.) That Joey is good or 2.) That Martz actually believes he's good.

backus officially tagged. don't have the link but it's at espn.com
Lions applied the franchise tag on left tackle Jeff Backus.The team couldn't afford to lose the five-year veteran and will continue to work on a long-term deal with him. A Mike Martz offense needs a quality left tackle to survive.

That completely surprises me. I guess I shouldnt have said my "Backus won't be tagged" comments knowing that the person making this decision was Matt Millen.

I think the new coaching staff will enable this young team to win some games early next, and once you get a team thinking they can win the changes are incredible.

I want to see what Joey does with the confidence he and his offense will have in this scenario.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they figure out a way to make it all work with Martz.

OTOH...

things in his favor...

No you can just take his word for it on Trung Candidate. Or Eric Crouch. Or Jimmy Kennedy. Or most of his other first round picks.I don't really care what Mike Martz thinks of Joey Harrington. Or any other professional NFL scout for that matter. I already know he doesn't have what it takes. Alll Joey's ever proven is that he can occassionally make a good throw. That's it.

I've watched every game Joey has started as Lion and the only game I thought he was outstanding was the 12/19/04 game where the Lions lost to the Vikings 28-27 on the missed extra point. And that was the game where he played with the flu. I think the flu actually made him a better player since he was forced to be calm (almost comatose) in the pocket. Joey did not have happy feet that day, the game slowed down for him, and he looked really good out there.

Maybe if Joey could get the flu before every game (or take some sedatives), he could be a decent QB.

OTOH...

things in his favor...

No you can just take his word for it on Trung Candidate. Or Eric Crouch. Or Jimmy Kennedy. Or most of his other first round picks.I don't really care what Mike Martz thinks of Joey Harrington. Or any other professional NFL scout for that matter. I already know he doesn't have what it takes. Alll Joey's ever proven is that he can occassionally make a good throw. That's it.

I've watched every game Joey has started as Lion and the only game I thought he was outstanding was the 12/19/04 game where the Lions lost to the Vikings 28-27 on the missed extra point. And that was the game where he played with the flu. I think the flu actually made him a better player since he was forced to be calm (almost comatose) in the pocket. Joey did not have happy feet that day, the game slowed down for him, and he looked really good out there.

Maybe if Joey could get the flu before every game (or take some sedatives), he could be a decent QB.
While you are correct in saying there are no guarantees and everyone is human and makes mistakes...there is no data under the sun for your arrogant and ludicrous statement that we should all heed your advice over Martz simply because "you know" what Harrington will do this year (nothing).

OTOH...

things in his favor...

While you are correct in saying there are no guarantees and everyone is human and makes mistakes...there is no data under the sun for your arrogant and ludicrous statement that we should all heed your advice over Martz simply because "you know" what Harrington will do this year (nothing).
Capt., Why do you take criticism of the Lions so personally? They're clearly in a tight race for 2nd worst franchise in the NFL, yet you defend them to no end. I understand being a fan and all. After all I'm a fan of them and the other team they're vying with for the dubious position of futility (Arizona), but I also know when to call a spade a spade. Lions players, ownership, and management all deserve the potshots they've taken as none of them have produced.

Users who are viewing this thread