What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LT'S toe- beginning of the END? (1 Viewer)

Ballstein

Footballguy
Sproles looked better in the game,more energized,quicker, fast cuts, sort of like a young LT.

LT's toe is A problem, no denying this now.

LT has another two years at least.

Sproles in a WR sized RB who could not hold up if given 20 carries a game.

Already a couple of similar threads on this subject with various opinions. Worth reading if you want more info.

Sproles, is the torch being passed?

Darren Sproles looks better than LT! Seriously., Explosive running and catching the ball.
THANK YOU for simply referencing existing threads and not posting something about how submitters should "Learn to use the search button before posting"

I'm sick of that recent trend in the Shark Pool.
Noobs

Take it with a big grain of salt, but here's the latest from RotoWorld:

"Chargers coach Norv Turner reiterated Monday that LaDainian Tomlinson's ailing toe is getting better.

Tomlinson's owners can take solace in the fact that San Diego has an extra day to rest before next Monday's tilt with the Jets. Naturally, LT2's practice work should be tracked, but he should be ready and startable in Week 3."

"Chargers coach Norv Turner reiterated Monday that LaDainian Tomlinson's ailing toe is getting better.
When a player has his shoe off for most of the game, a toe does not "get better" in less than 24 hours.SELL.
Most of the game LT was either in the starting lineup or standing on the sidelines with his helmet on. All this says to me is that the Chargers were being tentative about putting him so they don't end up losing him more than just that game. Sure, the game was important. But he is more important than just one game.

When a player has his shoe off for most of the game, a toe does not "get better" in less than 24 hours.SELL.
Most of the game LT was either in the starting lineup or standing on the sidelines with his helmet on. All this says to me is that the Chargers were being tentative about putting him so they don't end up losing him more than just that game. Sure, the game was important. But he is more important than just one game.
Heck, I don't even own him. But I'll also say this: I'm not gonna go out of my way to see if the LT owner is in panic mode. One reason is that I've seen a toe trouble players for an entire year. Secondly, it was striking just how much better Sproles looked compared to LT. He has a completely different gear. It looks like a friggin video game when he's running through a defense. Don't get me wrong... I'm not implying LT will lose his job, as some others seem to be. Rather, Sproles has clearly earned an increased role in the offense going forward. That alone will mean you'll probably end up overpaying for LT in a trade. You're not likely to get the production which equates to what he'll cost you.

Heck, I don't even own him. But I'll also say this: I'm not gonna go out of my way to see if the LT owner is in panic mode. One reason is that I've seen a toe trouble players for an entire year. Secondly, it was striking just how much better Sproles looked compared to LT. He has a completely different gear. It looks like a friggin video game when he's running through a defense. Don't get me wrong... I'm not implying LT will lose his job, as some others seem to be. Rather, Sproles has clearly earned an increased role in the offense going forward. That alone will mean you'll probably end up overpaying for LT in a trade. You're not likely to get the production which equates to what he'll cost you.
That's pretty much what everyone said for two years about Michael Turner. Based on what he's done this year, they may have been right about him being deserving of more time. But he didn't get it then and if LT is able to play without risk of making the injury worse, I doubt Sproles will either.

That's pretty much what everyone said for two years about Michael Turner. Based on what he's done this year, they may have been right about him being deserving of more time. But he didn't get it then and if LT is able to play without risk of making the injury worse, I doubt Sproles will either.
This is EXACTLY what people were saying about Michael Turner last year at this time. Sproles did great against a poor rush defense that was tired.

This is EXACTLY what people were saying about Michael Turner last year at this time. Sproles did great against a poor rush defense that was tired.
Isn't it plausible that A.J. Smith let Turner walk because they knew what they had in Sproles?

Isn't it plausible that A.J. Smith let Turner walk because they knew what they had in Sproles?
Yep. He knew he had a guy who could come in and give them a respectable showing if LT was injured for a game or two.

AJ didn't "let" Turner walk. Turner's contract expired. He could be a starter somewhere else, which is what he wanted, but he wouldn't have started in San Diego. And it's too expensive to put the franchise tag on a starting RB.If the Chargers could have kept Turner, they would have. Sproles is a great RB to have on the roster, but that's not why Turner left.

C-Pod said:
Already a couple of similar threads on this subject with various opinions. Worth reading if you want more info.

Darren Sproles looks better than LT! Seriously., Explosive running and catching the ball.
THANK YOU for simply referencing existing threads and not posting something about how submitters should "Learn to use the search button before posting"

:rolleyes: :ptts: I think it is the beginning of the end of LT, without a doubt. actually, the 'end' started in the afc championship game last season..

Someone said Sproles won't last 20 carries/gm..how are you so sure?!

that Oline is the best in the NFL, by the time Sproles gets past the line he's already blazing past LBs and at the level of the secondary, taking hits from guys his own size..

he's going to be this year's version of what Grant was last year..

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason that I refuse to believe that this is the end of LT is that I drafted Shaun Alexander last year, and I'm basically having deja vu all over again. This couldn't possibly happen to me two times in a row, could it?

It's really all about me... :rolleyes:

In other news...this was the Den D which couldn't stop my grandmother if she was in the backfield.

Lets see Sproles run like he did vs a even semi-decent run D. Denver's run D is a joke.

LT will be fine in a couple of weeks once his toe is better and he gets back into a groove.

LT isn't through for his career. He's still got some left in the tank.

That said, when the tire is flat, you have to get it fixed.

Toe injuries can take a lot of time to heal, especially if you continue to run on them. LT might have a better season if he actually sat for a week or two on full rest. Too bad the Chargers won't spare him.

I can see this toe thing lingering all season long and even getting worse. An offseason can fix it.

C-Pod said:

THANK YOU for simply referencing existing threads and not posting something about how submitters should "Learn to use the search button before posting"I'm sick of that recent trend in the Shark Pool.
:excited: Always nice to share some info, not so much to be like, "hit search, you idiot." Good stuff, Bigscore.

In other news...this was the Den D which couldn't stop my grandmother if she was in the backfield.Lets see Sproles run like he did vs a even semi-decent run D. Denver's run D is a joke.LT will be fine in a couple of weeks once his toe is better and he gets back into a groove.
I dont know if most of you are LT owners or what, but it seems like there is some serious downplaying of LT's injury as well as Sproles ability to get a lot of touches.Raider Nation is 1 of the few people who has it right that Turf Toe can be a serious injury and really limit LT for the entire year. Those of you just thinking that LT will be 100% in a couple weeks arent looking at this objectivelyI think Sproles, in his limited time hes seen throughout his career, has looked very good with possibly the best acceleration in the NFL. Who knows what kind of load he could handle, but I have a feeling SD would rather have a 100% DSproles getting more touches than a 70% LT

I just offered LT for Steven Jackson. Jacksons schedule is super lite later on in the season (check out his playoff schedule). Worth taking a stab at LT owners...

I just offered LT for Steven Jackson. Jacksons schedule is super lite later on in the season (check out his playoff schedule). Worth taking a stab at LT owners...
I'd be interested in knowing how that works out. I'm mulling that one myself but I'm holding off cause luckily I just beat that owner by three points. At least Jax is healthy...

You guys WAY overreact to everything. LT will be a Top 5 RB come seasons end....what more do you want.
If this injury lingers, and turf toes probably do more than anything except maybe a high snkle sprain or hamstring, then no way he ends up Top 5Im not saying that makes Sproles top 10 even necessarily, or that the injury wont be better in a couple weeks, but saying you know otherwise is just a guess

C-Pod said:

:goodposting: :goodposting: I think it is the beginning of the end of LT, without a doubt. actually, the 'end' started in the afc championship game last season..

that Oline is the best in the NFL, by the time Sproles gets past the line he's already blazing past LBs and at the level of the secondary, taking hits from guys his own size..

Because Darren Sproles isn't just small, he is tiny. 5'6 is a stretch, and 180lbs probably is as well...stranger things have happened, but I doubt the Charges want him carrying the ball more than 10-15 times per game. He is better in small doses...

You guys WAY overreact to everything. LT will be a Top 5 RB come seasons end....what more do you want.
If this injury lingers, and turf toes probably do more than anything except maybe a high snkle sprain or hamstring, then no way he ends up Top 5Im not saying that makes Sproles top 10 even necessarily, or that the injury wont be better in a couple weeks, but saying you know otherwise is just a guess
So is saying it will not be better....whats your point :confused: LT has been a Top 3 RB for a long time. He was the #1 RB last year by a mile. I highly doubt he will not be Top 5 this year.

I'll bet dollars to donuts LT doesn't sniff the top 5. Some people are too blind to look at the reality of today and live in the past. GL with LT if you were foolish enough to waste a top 3 pick on him.

I wish I could believe that right now... but I can't.I think the all the talk of the toe improving and LT being "Happy" after a devastating and unjust loss that sent them to 0-2 is a front. It's a front to keep opponents game planning for LT... it's a front to keep the team, fans and media from hitting the panic button after losing 2 of their best players and the first two games of the season in a very demoralizing fashion with last second plays.... I'd LOVE to be wrong, but that's how the situation looks to be playing out to me.

So is saying it will not be better....whats your point :confused: LT has been a Top 3 RB for a long time. He was the #1 RB last year by a mile. I highly doubt he will not be Top 5 this year.
In my league, I think Westbrook actually had more pts than LT last year (non PPR), and AD wasnt more than 1-2 FP/game behind them. So thats a stretch to say he was #1 by a mile.Also, my point is saying that hell end up Top 5, at this point, is the biggest stretch possible with his situation almost

If this toe doesnt affect him for the next 2-4 weeks, Id be very surprised. And as I and a couple others have said, TToe's can linger quite frequently, so it would be very possible it affects him longer than this.

If its 4 more weeks, including his 2 games already, thats almost half the fantasy regular season and if he continues to look like he did yesterday, I doubt hes Top 12-15 come week 7. At that point, a team with LT could very well be a longshot for the playoffs

Basically, going by last year bc of a slow start is the wrong approach because he was healthy then. He has an injury that typically lingers now in 2008 and it looked like he re-aggravated it yesterday. Temper Expectations

I'll bet dollars to donuts LT doesn't sniff the top 5. Some people are too blind to look at the reality of today and live in the past. GL with LT if you were foolish enough to waste a top 3 pick on him.
So who was your top 3. Posts like this make me chuckle when every single draft I've seen this year had LT going in the top 3.Either you have LT at this point or you don't. The toe is definately bothering LT but I expect the toe to get better. With SD off to this slow start, LT owners can be assured that in pivotal weeks at the end of the season, LT will be carrying the load for the Chargers and many fantasy football fans.Although Denver was terrible against the run last year, they appear to have improved. They shut down McFadden the week before and we saw what McFadden can do against a weak run defense this week. Carolina, SD's first week opponent isn't bad against the run either so they'll be easier spots for LT as he gets healthy as well.

So who was your top 3. Posts like this make me chuckle when every single draft I've seen this year had LT going in the top 3.Either you have LT at this point or you don't. The toe is definately bothering LT but I expect the toe to get better. With SD off to this slow start, LT owners can be assured that in pivotal weeks at the end of the season, LT will be carrying the load for the Chargers and many fantasy football fans.Although Denver was terrible against the run last year, they appear to have improved. They shut down McFadden the week before and we saw what McFadden can do against a weak run defense this week. Carolina, SD's first week opponent isn't bad against the run either so they'll be easier spots for LT as he gets healthy as well.
Why does it make you chuckle? I wouldn't have taken LT in the top 3 and honestly I had him off my board totally. I don't draft rb's high in the first round with the mileage of LT coming off injuries at the end of the prior year. I'll name 3 guys off the top of my head who I'd taken ahead of LT, Westbrook, AD and Barber. Keep chuckilng. :excited:

yeah because we all knew he would get turf toe this year. :popcorn: what's the winning lottery numbers for tomorrow? I'm sure you know that too huh?

C-Pod said:

:loco: :loco: I think it is the beginning of the end of LT, without a doubt. actually, the 'end' started in the afc championship game last season..

Because Darren Sproles isn't just small, he is tiny. 5'6 is a stretch, and 180lbs probably is as well...stranger things have happened, but I doubt the Charges want him carrying the ball more than 10-15 times per game. He is better in small doses...
:loco: I am the one who said the comment about Sproles being small.

yeah because we all knew he would get turf toe this year. :loco: what's the winning lottery numbers for tomorrow? I'm sure you know that too huh?
I was still concerned with his knee injury from last year that he never had surgery on, combined with the amount of carries he's had the last 5+ years and his age. How did you know he was just going to walk back on the field and be 100% after never seeing him play a down in preseason? Do you know the lottery #'s too? :loco: When you draft older rb's with high miles coming off an injury with your # 1 pick you are taking a big risk. That's not one I was willing to take.

yeah because we all knew he would get turf toe this year. :unsure: what's the winning lottery numbers for tomorrow? I'm sure you know that too huh?
I was still concerned with his knee injury from last year that he never had surgery on, combined with the amount of carries he's had the last 5+ years and his age. How did you know he was just going to walk back on the field and be 100% after never seeing him play a down in preseason? Do you know the lottery #'s too? :mellow: When you draft older rb's with high miles coming off an injury with your # 1 pick you are taking a big risk. That's not one I was willing to take.
That knee injury from last year is completely irrelevant to his turf toe injury, and he hasn't played in the preseason in years, he completely recovered from that knee injury during the offseason. The fact that you just called everyone who took LT foolish makes you a tool. You are basically saying "I told you so" to every LT owner in a redraft league, all because you now look "smart" since LT got turf toe, an injury which has nothing to do with his age or amount of carries he has had in his career. I guess everyone wants to feel important.

yeah because we all knew he would get turf toe this year. :thumbdown: what's the winning lottery numbers for tomorrow? I'm sure you know that too huh?
I was still concerned with his knee injury from last year that he never had surgery on, combined with the amount of carries he's had the last 5+ years and his age. How did you know he was just going to walk back on the field and be 100% after never seeing him play a down in preseason? Do you know the lottery #'s too? :P When you draft older rb's with high miles coming off an injury with your # 1 pick you are taking a big risk. That's not one I was willing to take.
That knee injury from last year is completely irrelevant to his turf toe injury, and he hasn't played in the preseason in years, he completely recovered from that knee injury during the offseason. The fact that you just called everyone who took LT foolish makes you a tool. You are basically saying "I told you so" to every LT owner in a redraft league, all because you now look "smart" since LT got turf toe, an injury which has nothing to do with his age or amount of carries he has had in his career. I guess everyone wants to feel important.
Agreed on this ROCKET jag thinking hes a FF genius for 'supposedly' not taking LT with his top 3 pick, if he even had thatThat said, I think ppl need to really see how LT's injury plays out bc it very well might linger, and give Sproles some credit at this point. Maybe he cant do everything the next 2-3 weeks, but he looks like he can. Well see how LTs injury pans out, but right now Im very high on Sproles. Its not like we have ppl talking about Hester here

ROCKET said:
ProBowler88 said:
ROCKET said:
ImTheScientist said:
yeah because we all knew he would get turf toe this year. :goodposting: what's the winning lottery numbers for tomorrow? I'm sure you know that too huh?
I was still concerned with his knee injury from last year that he never had surgery on, combined with the amount of carries he's had the last 5+ years and his age. How did you know he was just going to walk back on the field and be 100% after never seeing him play a down in preseason? Do you know the lottery #'s too? :rolleyes: When you draft older rb's with high miles coming off an injury with your # 1 pick you are taking a big risk. That's not one I was willing to take.
I drafted LT last year #1 overall and that worked out well.

I disagree with RN - I think now is the time to see if the LT owner in your league is frustrated and can be had for a discount. The Charger offense is looking extremely good this year, with Rivers, Chambers, and VJax finally coming together. Even if LT isn't 100% the entire year, he'll fall into 15 TDs in that offense.

LT's injury had nothing to do with age. Any player can sprain a toe or tear an ACL or break a leg at any point in any game -- injuries don't care how old you are.

The aspect where age plays a part is in the recovery. If a second-year guy pulls a hammy, he can probably come back from it in 2 weeks or so. If a 36 year old WR pulls a hammy, he's gone for a month if not more. So when people talk about how much an older player is affected by the risk of injury, they should actually be focusing on recovery time and not the actual injury itself.

Can a 29-year-old LT recover quickly from turf toe? Well, suggesting you know one way or the other is complete speculation. We won't know until he either does, or doesn't.

yinzer said:
ProBowler88 said:
ROCKET said:
ProBowler88 said:
ROCKET said:
ImTheScientist said:
yeah because we all knew he would get turf toe this year. ;) what's the winning lottery numbers for tomorrow? I'm sure you know that too huh?
I was still concerned with his knee injury from last year that he never had surgery on, combined with the amount of carries he's had the last 5+ years and his age. How did you know he was just going to walk back on the field and be 100% after never seeing him play a down in preseason? Do you know the lottery #'s too? :) When you draft older rb's with high miles coming off an injury with your # 1 pick you are taking a big risk. That's not one I was willing to take.
Agreed on this ROCKET jag thinking hes a FF genius for 'supposedly' not taking LT with his top 3 pick, if he even had thatThat said, I think ppl need to really see how LT's injury plays out bc it very well might linger, and give Sproles some credit at this point. Maybe he cant do everything the next 2-3 weeks, but he looks like he can. Well see how LTs injury pans out, but right now Im very high on Sproles. Its not like we have ppl talking about Hester here
I never claimed to be a genius. All I said is his knee injury to me was a concern and there is no way anyone here knew it wouldn't be a problem going into this year. And I have a simple rule that I follow in drafting my #1 rb, he can't be coming off a signifigant injury at the end of the following year. That to me is a red flag, especially a knee injury to a back with LT's mileage. I'd rather be the guy to look elsewhere than to stick my neck out and take the risk.If you guys don't feel there was any risk with LT then more power to you. And no I never had a top 3 pick but LT was not on my radar as there is no doubt he'd go top 3. I ended up with Barber at pick 6 in my one redraft league and had LT been there I still would have taken Barber. And in one auction league I payed the most for any player, Westbrook who cost me a little more than LT would have.

There's no need to minimize the risk there was with an older rb coming off a signifigant knee injury. You took the risk, I didn't. And don't throw out the analogy of any player being a risk to get hurt as it's a moot point. The combination of age, mileage and a serious injury at the end of the prior year creates a bigger risk than taking a younger, healthy rb. If you are'nt willing to acknowledge that then I guess you have'nt followed football very closely over the years. GL with LT for those that rolled the dice but don't mimimize the chance you took on him.

yinzer said:
ProBowler88 said:
ROCKET said:
ProBowler88 said:
ROCKET said:
ImTheScientist said:
yeah because we all knew he would get turf toe this year. :bag: what's the winning lottery numbers for tomorrow? I'm sure you know that too huh?
I was still concerned with his knee injury from last year that he never had surgery on, combined with the amount of carries he's had the last 5+ years and his age. How did you know he was just going to walk back on the field and be 100% after never seeing him play a down in preseason? Do you know the lottery #'s too? :bag: When you draft older rb's with high miles coming off an injury with your # 1 pick you are taking a big risk. That's not one I was willing to take.
I never claimed to be a genius. All I said is his knee injury to me was a concern and there is no way anyone here knew it wouldn't be a problem going into this year. And I have a simple rule that I follow in drafting my #1 rb, he can't be coming off a signifigant injury at the end of the following year. That to me is a red flag, especially a knee injury to a back with LT's mileage. I'd rather be the guy to look elsewhere than to stick my neck out and take the risk.If you guys don't feel there was any risk with LT then more power to you. And no I never had a top 3 pick but LT was not on my radar as there is no doubt he'd go top 3. I ended up with Barber at pick 6 in my one redraft league and had LT been there I still would have taken Barber. And in one auction league I payed the most for any player, Westbrook who cost me a little more than LT would have.

There's no need to minimize the risk there was with an older rb coming off a signifigant knee injury. You took the risk, I didn't. And don't throw out the analogy of any player being a risk to get hurt as it's a moot point. The combination of age, mileage and a serious injury at the end of the prior year creates a bigger risk than taking a younger, healthy rb. If you are'nt willing to acknowledge that then I guess you have'nt followed football very closely over the years. GL with LT for those that rolled the dice but don't mimimize the chance you took on him.
Rocket, any links to posts you made claiming this before the season started? Obviously you feel strongly about this and want your opinion to be known, so I'm sure you made it before the season started.

You do realize that Westbrook and LT2 are the same age, don't you? Westy's got the slighter build so I thought it was he who was the riskier pick as far as probability of injury goes.

I just traded LT and got a package including Turner and Wayne...........the point that I want to make is that I do not agree that wear and tear did not lead to this injury. My personal trainer was a practice squad RB for the Steelers of the Bubby Brister era and played for Va. Tech. He had turf toe not once but twice and was told it is absolutely related to wear and tear regarding repetitive cutting, accelerating, breaking etc... It is one of the more debilatating injuries a running back can have. If the Chargers weren"t 0-2 they would be smart to shut him down completely. After last years debacle in the AFC championship game I am afraid he will risk further injury to prove a point. With a lot of 415 pm and Monday night starts I decided to let it be someone elses problem

ImTheScientist said:
So is saying it will not be better....whats your point :sadbanana: LT has been a Top 3 RB for a long time. He was the #1 RB last year by a mile. I highly doubt he will not be Top 5 this year.
He is #31 today and injured. Toe injuries are the type that can nag a player all year. I think there is a good chance he does not finish top 5. What he did last year is meaningless when you factor in injury.

Users who are viewing this thread