What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

M. Bennett injury? anyone got the scoop? (1 Viewer)

Hopefully MB is OK, but what should not be lost in this is that he gained 91 yards with 11 carries of:1,7,4,3,8,13,12,13,6,16,8,11...with the last carry nullified by penalty. Against the 9th rated rushing defense in 2003. Not sure what the knock on MB is, maybe it's the lack of TDs, but he can definitely run in this offense.Not a sermon, just a thought.
He averaged 8 yards a carry, and it didn't come from a few big runs, it came from MANY

Hopefully MB is OK, but what should not be lost in this is that he gained 91 yards with 11 carries of:1,7,4,3,8,13,12,13,6,16,8,11...with the last carry nullified by penalty. Against the 9th rated rushing defense in 2003. Not sure what the knock on MB is, maybe it's the lack of TDs, but he can definitely run in this offense.Not a sermon, just a thought.
He averaged 8 yards a carry, and it didn't come from a few big runs, it came from MANY
It's really pretty simple: He's good. I'm always surprised when I see so many people diss him too.Anyway, it sounds like he's going to be all right based on the info posted in this thread. And he was having a very good game, that's for sure.

Well...Joe's update just came out and there is nothing even mentioned about Bennett and McKinney's knees. It does mention Ahman and Mike Anderson injuries though.SportsCenter also shows Ahman and Mike Anderson...nothing on Bennett/McKinney.I assume most must think the injuries are very minor.

I don't understand all this "Tice is an idiot" stuff. Its pretty common for players to play into the 3rd quarter of the 3rd preseason game. Its the game that they generally get the most work in. Take a look at all the box scores and see how many starters were still in in the 3rd quarter this weekend. I guess if Tice is an idiot because Bennett happened to get hurt in the 3rd quarter, then every coach in the NFL must be an idiot.

FWIW, similar to the KFAN interview, but from the Star Tribune this morning:

Bennett, McKinnie hurt on same play

Left tackle Bryant McKinnie and running back Michael Bennett left the game on the same play in the third quarter because of right knee sprains. Neither injury is believed to be serious, but both players will undergo precautionary MRIs today.

"I'll be fine," Bennett said. "It's just a little sore. No big deal. I'll play" against Seattle in the preseason finale on Thursday.

McKinnie also said his knee should be fine, although he said he wouldn't be surprised if he is held out against the Seahawks for precautionary reasons.

You can blow a knee in the 1st quarter too.

In fact why not sit Bennett the whole season so he never gets hurt...or just let him play the 1st quarter and than hand things over to Moe Williams the rest of the game so he can rest.

Be real here folks. It's football...it's a sprained knee....sprain is not the same as split ACL. He will not play next week and will be fine by the season opener.
don't be so dense

and a sprained knee is always the first diagnosis for a torn ACL. knee sprain is the worst thing anyone can hear.

:thumbup:

Been there, done that...

Hate to admit I don't already know this but... Anyone know of a sports ticker site that would break any injury news on Bennett early? I'm drafting today. Thanks!

yeah, somebody in Minn hears about the MRI, please post ASAP. I am running the draft dominator over and over in a keep 1 league, and its looking like I have a Bennet / Westbrook choice to make. I would really like this info first (obviously). :popcorn:

Haven't seen anyone post this yet, so I thought I would share. Mike Tice announced the other week that Mewlde Moore would be the number 2 back if Michael Bennet went down during the 4 game suspension of Onterio Smith. I am being lazy today, but I can find a link if you want one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't seen anyone post this yet, so I thought I would share. Mike Tice announced the other week that Mewlde Moore would be the number 2 back if Michael Bennet went down during the 4 game suspension of Onterio Smith. I am being lazy today, but I can find a link if you want one.
I'll call you on that, as if Bennett were to have suffered an injury which will not allow him to go, Moe would be the guy stepping in with Moore sitting idley byis my bet. Provide the link is my request.

Wife blew out ACL/MCL/Meniscus, yet she got up fine... getting off the field means ####!
Sorry dude, I've been meaning to apologize for that incident. She said she liked it rough, but I should have insisted on her doing some warm up stretches.

Wife blew out ACL/MCL/Meniscus, yet she got up fine... getting off the field means ####!
Sorry dude, I've been meaning to apologize for that incident. She said she liked it rough, but I should have insisted on her doing some warm up stretches.
:D :lol: :thumbup: That was funny !!

I'll call you on that, as if Bennett were to have suffered an injury which will not allow him to go, Moe would be the guy stepping in with Moore sitting idley byis my bet. Provide the link is my request.
Actually, if Bennett couldn't play, Moore would be the #2 RB. Tice wants to keep Moe Williams in his current role. Tice did make this statement.

I'll vouch for the MMoore info, it was in either Star-Tribune or Pioneer Press last week...

E. James walked off the field too. You're right, you can never tell. But, there has also been a TON of RB's who have walked off the field who were fine. We'll see...
exactly.if you own bennett, hes fine. if you passed over him and regretted it now that osmith is out, hes hurt

Haven't seen anyone post this yet, so I thought I would share.  Mike Tice announced the other week that Mewlde Moore would be the number 2 back if Michael Bennet went down during the 4 game suspension of Onterio Smith.  I am being lazy today, but I can find a link if you want one.
Actually, if Bennett couldn't play, Moore would be the #2 RB. Tice wants to keep Moe Williams in his current role. Tice did make this statement.
actions speak louder than words. domink davis said hes goin for 2000 this year. did you project him at 2000 yds? why not, he said it.with no osmith, u can bet moe will be the man if bennett cannot go

was that b4 osmith was out?

You can blow a knee in the 1st quarter too.

In fact why not sit Bennett the whole season so he never gets hurt...or just let him play the 1st quarter and than hand things over to Moe Williams the rest of the game so he can rest.

Be real here folks. It's football...it's a sprained knee....sprain is not the same as split ACL. He will not play next week and will be fine by the season opener.
don't be so dense

and a sprained knee is always the first diagnosis for a torn ACL. knee sprain is the worst thing anyone can hear.

bennett had to have the leg amputated.

bennett had to have the leg amputated.
Yeah, but despite only having 1 leg now, Tice has stated that he will still see more goalline carries this season.

I'm drafting tonight, so I'm trying to follow whats current. This is the most up to date thing I can find.

From KFFL:

Vikings | Bennett to Undergo MRI - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:26:18 -0700

Updating previous reports, the Pioneer Press reports Minnesota Vikings RB Michael Bennett (knee) will undergo an MRI Saturday, Aug. 28, after suffering a sprained right knee Friday, Aug. 27. The injury is not believed to be serious.

Please post if you hear more.

I'm drafting tonight, so I'm trying to follow whats current. This is the most up to date thing I can find.

From KFFL:

Vikings | Bennett to Undergo MRI - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:26:18 -0700

Updating previous reports, the Pioneer Press reports Minnesota Vikings RB Michael Bennett (knee) will undergo an MRI Saturday, Aug. 28, after suffering a sprained right knee Friday, Aug. 27. The injury is not believed to be serious.

Please post if you hear more.
This is what I heard, also. I would suggest hoping Bennett falls an additional round - or TWO! from this news, and then grab him as a #3 RB with HUGE upside, and lock him in with a couple of his potential handcuffs to be safe. That offense is going to be amazing this year.

Vikings: Bennett plans to play in preseason finalefanballMichael Bennett alleviated some concern about his sprained right knee following Friday's preseason game against the 49ers. "I'll be fine," Bennett told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "It's just a little sore. No big deal. I'll play" against Seattle in the preseason finale on Thursday. Bennett will undergo an MRI on Saturday as a precaution, according to the St. Paul Pioneer Press. Hopefully this turns out to be nothing more than a scare and Bennett is okay. However, if Bennett is on your fantasy team you will want to know the name Mewelde Moore. The rookie has been solid in preseason play and is in line to get most of the carries should Bennett miss time with injury while Onterrio Smith is serving his four-game suspension to start the season.

Not sure why Tice would play Bennett in the last preseason game on a thursday.. Not much else to see with him before the season starts.. let him rest until week one!

A lot of talk about Bennett...his injury didn't look bad at all! McKinnie's on the other hand, wasn't as pretty...and as a Moss & Culpepper owner, that is the injury I am more worried about (and Bennett owners should be as well).

A lot of talk about Bennett...his injury didn't look bad at all! McKinnie's on the other hand, wasn't as pretty...and as a Moss & Culpepper owner, that is the injury I am more worried about (and Bennett owners should be as well).
What he said and why I visited this thread. How bad is it or too soon to tell? TIA

What he said and why I visited this thread. How bad is it or too soon to tell? TIA
Although as a Bennett owner the big McK concerns me, lets just say Id rather he miss time than the guy who is actually on my team! There is a lot of talk here about Bennett because its a Bennett injury thread!That does not change the fact that I want both to be healthy.

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Running back Michael Bennett will miss one-to-three weeks after spraining his right knee in Friday's exhibition win over San Francisco. Bennett, injured in the third quarter on a low hit by 49ers safety Erik Totten, won't play in Thursday's preseason finale at Seattle and is questionable for Minnesota's season opener Sept. 12 against Dallas. "He might be a little iffy for the opener," Vikings coach Mike Tice said. Veteran Moe Williams will start in Bennett's place Thursday, and would start against Dallas if Bennett isn't ready to return. Rookie Mewelde Moore and Larry Ned also will see action. Foot and ankle injures limited Bennett to just eight games last season. He finished with 90 carries for 447 yards and one touchdown -- a significant dropoff from his numbers in 2002, when he was named to his first Pro Bowl. Left tackle Bryant McKinnie, who injured his right knee on the same play as Bennett, has a mild sprain. He will sit out Thursday as a precaution, but should be ready for the regular season. Backup Adam Haayer will start at left tackle on Thursday.http://vikings.kfan.com/sports/nflguide/lo...11-E45B15526FD0
So he will play in the season opener...Moe Williams will now carry around the goal line or Daunte runs em in and Tice thinks....hey I can just keep running Moe inside the 10 and have Bennett carry between the 20's....which makes Bennett a #2 RB on a good day. :D

in Joe's email, a source within the Vikings were preparing for Bennett to miss the first TWO weeks of the season, this is getting worse by the second.

1. Vikings: RB Bennett Now to Miss Week 2?Full Article: http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/4953677.htmlClipped from the Kevin Seifert article:An MRI performed Saturday revealed a second-degree sprain of Bennett'smedial collateral ligament, giving him virtually no chance to play in theSept. 12 season opener against Dallas. Privately, team officials arebracing for him to miss the Sept. 20 game at Philadelphia as well and arehoping he can return Sept. 26 against Chicago.With backup Onterrio Smith expected to serve a four-game suspension forviolating the NFL's substance abuse policy, the Vikings will start veteranMoe Williams against the Cowboys, coach Mike Tice said. Williams, rookieMewelde Moore and first-year player Larry Ned will split time in theabsence of Bennett and Smith."That's why we kept the depth, so we wouldn't have to worry aboutsomething like this," Tice said after the Vikings' 45-minute workoutSaturday at Winter Park. "If we didn't have the kind of depth we have,we'd be worried. It's a shame to lose Mike, but this isn't golf. Injurieshappen."Bennett was convinced Friday night that his injury was minor as well.After his injury-shortened 2003 season, he was primed for a breakoutperformance this season.Instead, injuries will shorten a season for the third time in hisfour-year career. Bennett appeared distraught by Saturday's news as heleft Winter Park. "I have no comment," he said. "It just feels real sore, man."Tice acknowledged he briefly second-guessed his decision to send thestarting offense onto the field for the first series of the third quarter.Along with many other NFL coaches, Tice uses the third preseason game togive his first-team players the sensation of returning to competitionafter the halftime cool down. When both Bennett and McKinnie were hurt on the same play, Tice wonderedif the approach was worth the additional injury risk. "But the more I thought about it, the more I realized an injury can happenany time," Tice said. "Michael could have done the same thing in the firstquarter, and it wouldn't be an issue. [Extending starters into the thirdquarter] is something you have to do. How can your team be in game shapewhen the season starts if they haven't even played into the second half inone preseason game? It's a shame, but injuries are a part of football."The Vikings could do worse than start Williams against Dallas. He rushedfor a career-high 745 yards last season, including a combined 283 yards inthe first three games. He was limited during this year's training camp bya strained calf muscle but said Saturday, "I feel great now."Tice traditionally limits the play of rookies early in the season; lastyear, Williams carried 22 times in the opener at Green Bay while Smith didnot play. But Moore should take some carries against Dallas, and theVikings are hoping that Ned -- who reeled off a 24-yard touchdown run inthe fourth quarter Friday -- can contribute as well. Ned will play extensively Thursday against the Seahawks."I came to camp knowing that I needed to be ready for anything," said Ned,who spent last year on the practice squad. "I needed to be ready to stepup when the opportunity is there. Unfortunately, Bennett is out. He'llcome back and be well. But in the meantime, the rest of us have to step up-- me, Mewelde and Moe."[[[[[[[[[[ OUR VIEW ]]]]]]]]]]This seems to be getting worse by the minute. Friday night, it was just abump and totally minor. After the MRI, he went to "iffy" for week one. NowKevin Seifert at the Star Tribune is reporting that team officials areprivately bracing for him to be out week 2. Moe Williams is the logicalguy to benefit here. But as I said earlier, keep an eye on Mewelde Moore.He's a scrappy player and the coaches like him.

Looks like it's worse than first feared:

LINK

Looks like anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks at the least. I really hate a four game pre-season. :thumbdown:

This has a bad smell to it. I think Week 3 is a best case scenario at the moment given that what was a minor injury turned into missing Week 1 and now Week 2.This will put his conditioning back, so when he returns (at some point, perhaps about the same time as Onterrio), you have to think he and Onterrio will be starting from scratch in the race for the #1 job (the race is back on).With Onterrio the healthier back, I would rather have him on my roster then. Moe Williams in the meantime is a nice pick up.

<chicken little>This is getting worse by the minute. Oh NOOOOO!</chicken little>The results said 1-3 weeks. That means anywhere from just the last preseason (1 week) to the last preseason game and the first two regular season games (3 weeks). Explain how different reporters interpreting that differently, and having someone post the three week scenario after the two week scenario, makes things worse.Calm down Beavis.

Michael Bennett should be back week 3. Onterio Smith won't be back until week 6 because of Minnesota's bye week 4. Assuming all the reports are on the up and up, Onterio Smith will still be a distant 2nd to Michael Bennett as he'll be the starter for weeks 3 and 5 before O. Smith can play.As I mentioned, Minnesota has a bye week 4 which will only help Michael Bennett's situation.If you haven't drafted, I'd certainly drop Bennett a few pegs, but if you do have him, don't panic.

<chicken little>This is getting worse by the minute. Oh NOOOOO!</chicken little>The results said 1-3 weeks. That means anywhere from just the last preseason (1 week) to the last preseason game and the first two regular season games (3 weeks). Explain how different reporters interpreting that differently, and having someone post the three week scenario after the two week scenario, makes things worse.Calm down Beavis.
Mike Bennett Injury occurs on Aug 27th on Aug 28th he is diagnosed to miss 1 - 3 weeks. In my books that means he can be back between Sept 4th and Sept 18thHe probably won't be available for the opener which is 2 weeks away from today.2 Weeks!!!!!That is plenty of time provided he lays off of his knee and does not try to rush things. Team Doctors have various methods and solutions for getting players healthy with such problems.Im not worried ... I definately think Mike will be back by week 2 at the latest.Better he miss a game and be healthy than come back early and $%#$ himself up for the year

As a M. Bennett owner (having drafted him last night), I am also concerned. I don't think the concern comes from being "chicken little" and overreacting. The concern that I have is that the MCL can be a very tricky injury, and that this extends deeper into the regular season. Anybody know a quick history of MCL injuries that start out as "no big deal?" I think they have a dubious past.

Lot's of doctors in here... you all have no f'n clue, until there is an official announcement, ####!!!Hopefully we hear something SOON!Wife blew out ACL/MCL/Meniscus, yet she got up fine... getting off the field means ####!
Looks like all the talk about him walking off the field was wrong... this is why you guys shouldn't jump to conclusions!

He did walk off the field on his own. There was actually barely a mention of it on the air since the McKinnie injury happened on the same play.

Just scooped up M. Moore. :thumbup:
i've been debating this all morning, but i can't decide if it is worth it. i would have to drop someone like Ferguson (who could fill in anytime during the season). say Bennett is out the first 2 weeks or longer. i wouldn't start moore wk1, just to see how he is used. so assuming he plays well, maybe i start him wk2, possibly wk3 if bennett is slow to return.so best case i see is 2 starts, and even if bennett's injury is worse than expected, o. smith will be back after wk5.worst case bennett returns early or moe gets the bulk of the carries while bennett & smith are out.

You also have to think that if he is out the 1st two weeks that there is no way they would rush him back for week 3. If he is still a little sore, then they will sit him in week 3 so that he would also get the benefit of the week 4 bye to fully recover.

You also have to think that if he is out the 1st two weeks that there is no way they would rush him back for week 3. If he is still a little sore, then they will sit him in week 3 so that he would also get the benefit of the week 4 bye to fully recover.
good point :thumbup:

I like the idea of having him sit through the Bye Week and get 100% healthy. Then he can come in healthy - and rested - and rip it up (yardage hopefully, and not his body again!). Just in time for T Jones' week 5 bye.

In this case he misses 3 games, just short of 20% of the season. Not bad unless he gets hurt AGAIN and misses more time. O. Smith misses 4 games for sure, or 25% of the season. With no injury status, I like O between the 2 and M. Moore as insurance. :popcorn:

I am not saying no cause for concern. He is my RB3 (luckily) so I am very interested in how he is too, and keeping a close eye. But the "first it was one game, now its two" theory is not something to be scared about. both are possibilities as they fall into the range. I am just saying things are not "getting worse by the minute" as previously suggested.Now, all that said, I hope they sit him week 3 too, and let him come back after the bye. And sayng this completely opens up the RB competition again is ludicris, unless he gets reinjured.

Clipped from the Star Tribune, August 29:

Anyone wondering why the Vikings haven't traded one of their running backs should understand now. The team learned Saturday that starter Michael Bennett will miss up to a month because of a sprained right knee, a surprising prognosis for an injury initially deemed minor in the aftermath of Friday's 23-10 preseason victory against San Francisco.

An MRI performed Saturday revealed a second-degree sprain of Bennett's medial collateral ligament, giving him virtually no chance to play in the Sept. 12 season opener against Dallas. Privately, team officials are bracing for him to miss the Sept. 20 game at Philadelphia as well and are hoping he can return Sept. 26 against Chicago.

With backup Onterrio Smith expected to serve a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, the Vikings will start veteran Moe Williams against the Cowboys, coach Mike Tice said. Williams, rookie Mewelde Moore and first-year player Larry Ned will split time in the absence of Bennett and Smith.
For your consideration. If I was thin at RB this year, especially early in the season, I would be taking a shot with one of these RB's from Minn and looking for some early luck. Its proven time and time again, if you get off to a good start during the season (6-0, 5-1 or even 4-2), you stand an excellent chance of landing in the playoffs. Instead of dealing with the bad luck of Bennett's injury and "hoping" he makes it back earlier. Snap up the fill in and add one or two wins during that injured steak. Could work wonders for ya! :thumbup:

With Moe starting the first (maybe more), where do you guys rank him now?
that fully depends upon your team/roster/roster size.If you have the room, Moe will be a top 15-20 back almost for sure, and VERY good chance if not almost for sure top 10-12, or BETTER. For one week.Probably two.MAYBE three.So, if you are thin at RB and want to use him to get a good start, it is a wise move - but if you have good Rbs already, you might have to drop a player that you could use later in the season.Likewise, if you have roster room, why not? But if you have a small roster, then again, it might not be worth 1-3 good games with only a small chance for year long production.

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually in good shape as far as my RBs go. I grabbed Moe thinking that Bennet might get hurt again. Since Smith is out for the first 5 weeks of the season and is in the dog house, I figured Moe might be a nice grab in the late rounds of my draft.So...my question wasn't geared towards if I should start him, but I'd like to gauge his value and try to trade him away to a RB needy team.

Users who are viewing this thread