What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

M. Bennett injury? anyone got the scoop? (1 Viewer)

Vikings RB Bennett, LT McKinnie injure right knees Aug. 27, 2004SportsLine.com wire reports MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota Vikings running back Michael Bennett and left tackle Bryant McKinnie left Friday night's exhibition game against the San Francisco 49ers with sprained right knees.Both players were hurt on the first unit's lone series in the third quarter. Bennett, a Pro Bowl selection in 2002, injured his right knee after rushing for about 10 yards. He was hit low on the play, which was called back on a penalty.McKinnie went down on the same play. It wasn't immediately clear how he was injured, but McKinnie lay on the turf for a couple of minutes while trainers tended to his right knee.Both players were able to walk off the field.

Excuse me while I curse the name of every #)*#(*@# coach on Minnesota...What in the SAM HELL is Michael Bennett doing in the game in the 3rd quarter anyways?! :hot: :rant:

Excuse me while I curse the name of every #)*#(*@# coach on Minnesota...What in the SAM HELL is Michael Bennett doing in the game in the 3rd quarter anyways?! :hot: :rant:
Exactly... If this turns out to be serious... Mike Tice... :angry:

This is really not an intelligent statement and here is why.Week 3 of the preseason is always for the veterans to get ready for the season...including playing the 1st half and coming out of the locker room after halftime and playing part of the 3rd quarter. Players must be able to mentally not only get up for 1 half but also the second half.Week1...starters play 1-2 seriesWeek2...starters play 1st quarter, maybe a lil moreWeek3...starters play 1st half plus part of 3rd quarterWeek4...1st series or maybe 2 but that's all. This is the protocol for veterans of the league. Rookies, 1st or 2nd year starters tend to play a lot different than this.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's got to be some sort of record. I just took him #39 in a small money league with friends.The draft finished about 8 minutes ago......

More importantly, who is his backup? I'm drafting right now and can draft one more RB...I may grab OSmith in the last few rounds.

It's a knee sprain, he walked off the field.... I'm definitely not sweating it. :football:
Walking off the field is irrelevant. Remember Olandis Gary running for another half on his torn ACL?

Excuse me while I curse the name of every #)*#(*@# coach on Minnesota...What in the SAM HELL is Michael Bennett doing in the game in the 3rd quarter anyways?!  :hot:   :rant:
This is really not an intelligent statement and here is why.Week 3 of the preseason is always for the veterans to get ready for the season...including playing the 1st half and coming out of the locker room after halftime and playing part of the 3rd quarter. Players must be able to mentally not only get up for 1 half but also the second half.Week1...starters play 1-2 seriesWeek2...starters play 1st quarter, maybe a lil moreWeek3...starters play 1st half plus part of 3rd quarterWeek4...1st series or maybe 2 but that's all. This is the protocol for veterans of the league. Rookies, 1st or 2nd year starters tend to play a lot different than this.
Ok, you're going to slam me for a not-so-intelligent remark, and I shall return the remark in kind...At this point in preseason, YES, you will likely see your starters playing more and more the closer you get to the regular season. But I'm sorry, your little "chart" of how long starters play is just silly. Their playing time during preseason is dependent on a variety of reasons, ranging from who the coach is and their philosophy, the player's production thus far during camp/preseason games, how much work other backs are needing, and especially a player's injury history (of which Bennett has been plagued by nagging injuries since being a rookie).So, tell me WHY again Bennett was in there?

Week 3 of the preseason is always for the veterans to get ready for the season...including playing the 1st half and coming out of the locker room after halftime and playing part of the 3rd quarter. Players must be able to mentally not only get up for 1 half but also the second half.
which sounds plausible... til someone blows a knee. :no:

Excuse me while I curse the name of every #)*#(*@# coach on Minnesota...What in the SAM HELL is Michael Bennett doing in the game in the 3rd quarter anyways?!   :hot:   :rant:
Ok, you're going to slam me for a not-so-intelligent remark, and I shall return the remark in kind...At this point in preseason, YES, you will likely see your starters playing more and more the closer you get to the regular season. But I'm sorry, your little "chart" of how long starters play is just silly. Their playing time during preseason is dependent on a variety of reasons, ranging from who the coach is and their philosophy, the player's production thus far during camp/preseason games, how much work other backs are needing, and especially a player's injury history (of which Bennett has been plagued by nagging injuries since being a rookie).So, tell me WHY again Bennett was in there?
I wasn't slamming you Sin. I explained myself in detail...you have said nothing to contradict what I wrote so I'll leave it at that.You might not like seeing the players out there but it is very common in week 3 of the preseason to see veterans come out of the locker at halftime and open the 3rd quarter.

Week 3 of the preseason is always for the veterans to get ready for the season...including playing the 1st half and coming out of the locker room after halftime and playing part of the 3rd quarter. Players must be able to mentally not only get up for 1 half but also the second half.
which sounds plausible... til someone blows a knee. :no:
You can blow a knee in the 1st quarter too.In fact why not sit Bennett the whole season so he never gets hurt...or just let him play the 1st quarter and than hand things over to Moe Williams the rest of the game so he can rest. Be real here folks. It's football...it's a sprained knee....sprain is not the same as split ACL. He will not play next week and will be fine by the season opener.

Excuse me while I curse the name of every #)*#(*@# coach on Minnesota...What in the SAM HELL is Michael Bennett doing in the game in the 3rd quarter anyways?!   :hot:   :rant:
I wasn't slamming you Sin. I explained myself in detail...you have said nothing to contradict what I wrote so I'll leave it at that.You might not like seeing the players out there but it is very common in week 3 of the preseason to see veterans come out of the locker at halftime and open the 3rd quarter.
Saying his first post "not really intelligent" was slamming him :rolleyes: Your hard and fast Schedule (intelligent?) for playing vets is not always true. Coaches on a regular basis do not play the stars past the first quarter even in the third game. Bennett is a probowler and has had injury problems it would be very Smart to limit his carries. He had 11 for 91 that is plenty.I think your post would have been better taken if it had "not really intelligent" post.

Saying his first post "not really intelligent" was slamming him :rolleyes: Your hard and fast Schedule (intelligent?) for playing vets is not always true. Coaches on a regular basis do not play the stars past the first quarter even in the third game. Bennett is a probowler and has had injury problems it would be very Smart to limit his carries. He had 11 for 91 that is plenty.I think your post would have been better taken if it had "not really intelligent" post.
I could have called him a #@$*%%*&@^!^#^@$($*(%*^_#%(You folks seem shocked and appalled and keep missing the point. Even if Bennett had 500 yds and 6 TD, Tice wants to see him take the ball after coming out of halftime.Michael Bennett is not a perenial Pro Bowler either. He might have made it the season he had 5 TD rushing but that is mainly because how many RB missed the game that year? He was an alternate as I remember it.Tomlinson was not seected last season...is LT not a "Pro Bowler" in your mind?Let's stop fighting and get back to checking out injuries tonight. Good thread, it was needed. 600+ hits in an hour or so.

It's a knee sprain, he walked off the field.... I'm definitely not sweating it. :football:
Didn't Jamal Anderson walk off the field after suffering a season ending knee sprain? Seems like I remember watch that, maybe it was someone else.

Didn't Jamal Anderson walk off the field after suffering a season ending knee sprain? Seems like I remember watch that, maybe it was someone else.
Didn't John Bobbit make a sex video after his "lil general" was spliced off like a salami stick....what is your point?

Be real here folks. It's football...it's a sprained knee....sprain is not the same as split ACL. He will not play next week and will be fine by the season opener.
Maybe, maybe not. I think I will wait until what I hear what the Vikes doctors have to say.I've seen guys come back and play the next on what was diagnosed at the time of injury as a knee sprain, I've also seen them sit out for long periods of time; in fact those knee sprains sometimes end up being much more serious after an MRI is done.IMO, it is a bit too early to be predicting that he will or won't be playing in two weeks, YMMV.

Didn't John Bobbit make a sex video after his "lil general" was spliced off like a salami stick....what is your point?
You honestly can't figure out what his point was?

Bennett interview on local radio:Q: How bad was your last play?B: "didn't feel anything". "Tice wanted me to come out, but there was no problem". Q: Fantasy owners are concerned. Should they be?B: No, no, I'm fine right now. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong, because I feel fine right now.Hope this rests some of your concerns.

It's a knee sprain, he walked off the field.... I'm definitely not sweating it.  :football:
You honestly can't figure out what his point was?
So Raider....your logic than says that every sprained knee is an ACL waiting to be announced.Anybody see McGahee jum up in the Fiesta Bowl?Anybody see Gore jump up against West Virginia?Anybody see Buckhalter spring off the field a couple weeks ago?My point is most of the time if it is really bad, players don't jump up. I am more concerned actually about McKinnie and the impact that would have on Moss, Culpepper, and Bennett.

It's a knee sprain, he walked off the field.... I'm definitely not sweating it.  :football:
Wow! I really didn't think I would have to explain something that was THAT obvious, but here we go.Just because you see a player walk off the field does NOT mean that you can tell the extent of his injury. It is quite possible for a player to have a season ending injury and be able to walk off the field. There are some types and degrees of injuries that are of such a nature that the player is able to walk off the field and yet to give them a chance to continue their career they may need season ending surgery. Therefore, just because Bennett walked off the field it is not a reason to believe that his injury is not of a serious nature. It might be, it might not be; but we can NOT tell from that bit of information.

E. James walked off the field too. You're right, you can never tell. But, there has also been a TON of RB's who have walked off the field who were fine. We'll see...

Bennett interview on local radio:Q: How bad was your last play?B: "didn't feel anything". "Tice wanted me to come out, but there was no problem". Q: Fantasy owners are concerned. Should they be?B: No, no, I'm fine right now. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong, because I feel fine right now.Hope this rests some of your concerns.
I'll just repost this as it seems no one has read it.

I'll just repost this as it seems no one has read it.
I love it!

Lot's of doctors in here... you all have no f'n clue, until there is an official announcement, ####!!!Hopefully we hear something SOON!Wife blew out ACL/MCL/Meniscus, yet she got up fine... getting off the field means ####!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the synopsis is: let's wait to see what the team doctors say. In the interim, more productive discussion at this time would center around Minn RB FF trades and acquisitions.

Lot's of doctors in here... you all have no f'n clue, until there is an official annoucement, ####!!!Hopefully we hear something SOON!Wife blew out ACL/MCL/Minicus, yet she got up fine... getting off the field means ####!
I didn't read every post, but I was thinking the EXACT same thing. It can be VERY serious and they could still get up and walk it off and THINK it FEELS fine.Nobody knows nothing until the MRI.

Lot's of doctors in here... you all have no f'n clue, until there is an official announcement, ####!!!Hopefully we hear something SOON!Wife blew out ACL/MCL/Meniscus, yet she got up fine... getting off the field means ####!
Beaglemac Thats enough coffee for you, just relax this is an open forum for people to give opinions and exchange information. I think #### is a tad bit strong.

Seriously folks, what are you Bennett, Williams and Smith owners going to do before the medical diagnosis comes in?I think we can AGREE that we won't know the extent of the injury until the TEAM DOCTORS give definitive word.

Beaglemac Thats enough coffee for you, just relax this is an open forum for people to give opinions and exchange information. I think #### is a tad bit strong.
####!!! :P KNow who you are talking to before u speak! :rotflmao:

:shock: :loco: :shock: :loco:

:shock: :loco: :shock: :loco:
:lol:

KNOW YOUR ROLE! :rotflmao: Anywho... my point originally was that I saw no point in Bennett even playing in the second half. He did well enough in the 1st, and I would HOPE this showed Tice and Co. that he CAN get it done, and help alleviate any fears. So why risk it with only one more week of preseason after this game, knowing full well that Bennett is a bit on the fragile side?I know, I know, it's easy for me to say all this. I'm not a coach, I'm not a trainer. I don't know jack poo-poo. But still... does this not make sense though?!

KNOW YOUR ROLE! :rotflmao: Anywho... my point originally was that I saw no point in Bennett even playing in the second half. He did well enough in the 1st, and I would HOPE this showed Tice and Co. that he CAN get it done, and help alleviate any fears. So why risk it with only one more week of preseason after this game, knowing full well that Bennett is a bit on the fragile side?I know, I know, it's easy for me to say all this. I'm not a coach, I'm not a trainer. I don't know jack poo-poo. But still... does this not make sense though?!
#### n00b!!!Bennett is dead from what U heard! :rolleyes:

You can blow a knee in the 1st quarter too.

In fact why not sit Bennett the whole season so he never gets hurt...or just let him play the 1st quarter and than hand things over to Moe Williams the rest of the game so he can rest.

Be real here folks. It's football...it's a sprained knee....sprain is not the same as split ACL. He will not play next week and will be fine by the season opener.

don't be so dense

and a sprained knee is always the first diagnosis for a torn ACL. knee sprain is the worst thing anyone can hear.

#### n00b!!!Bennett is dead from what U heard! :rolleyes:
:goodposting:

MINNEAPOLIS – On a single play early in the third quarter, left tackle Bryant McKinnie and running back Michael Bennett each suffered a right knee sprain and sat out the rest of the Vikings’ 23-10 win over the 49ers. Bennett picked up 11 yards on the play before he was tackled by San Francisco safety Erik Totten, who appeared to lunge awkwardly into Bennett's lower leg. Bennett limped off the field under his own power but did not return. Meanwhile, another San Francisco defended rolled onto the back of McKinnie’s leg away from the play. The game stopped as McKinnie stayed down for several minutes before walking off under his own power. He also did not return. Both players will have an MRI on Saturday morning to check for additional damage, according to trainer Chuck Barta, although neither injury appears to be serious. “The initial indication is that both of the guys should be OK to go next week [against Seattle],” head coach Mike Tice said. “We’ll see. Hopefully there are no surprises. Bennett’s gain on the play was nullified by a holding penalty on guard Chris Liwienski. Bennett finished with 11 carries for 91 yards. The starting offense left the game two plays later. http://vikings.kfan.com/sports/nflguide/lo...EB-D31DCEB0BA4B
Thank you

Rad, I just drafted Bennett in the 3rd round at 10:15 tonight.Good news is I have T. Jones, Duckett as back ups w/ J. Lewis....put in a waiver claim for Williams as insurance...Need Williams more than Musa Smith at this moment.MIKE TICE GETS IDIOT OF THE MONTH FOR THIS ONE.Sure, its the "3rd preseason game", but Onterrio is out for 4 games and the risk with Bennett was not worth it.Tice, get your jumbo head outta your ####

Hopefully MB is OK, but what should not be lost in this is that he gained 91 yards with 11 carries of:1,7,4,3,8,13,12,13,6,16,8,11...with the last carry nullified by penalty. Against the 9th rated rushing defense in 2003. Not sure what the knock on MB is, maybe it's the lack of TDs, but he can definitely run in this offense.Not a sermon, just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread