What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Making Shark Pool Better (Was: "Shark pool is even more unreadable than ever. Rant.") (1 Viewer)

Just wait till Monday and Tuesday (after a lot more games are played) when most of pages 1 and 2 are nothing but player threads (not counting pinned threads or ones that were pinned). And the problem is that most of those bumps aren't even really updates in the sense of having news. They are often just links with the player's stat line from this past week's game listed (which anyone can find anywhere). I get having them all in one place, but it feels like a subforum for just that is needed, that way the NFL threads that generate actual discussion are not getting lost in the Faust bump blitz. Just my opinion.

Thanks. I'm saying though it's not been my experience that @Faust is needlessly bumping non important threads.

It's certainly busy on game day as there are of course lots of players in action and being discussed, but I feel like the bumping has been mostly high value discussion.

How would you prefer to see the forum organized? When you say, the "NFL threads that generate actual discussion" what exactly do you mean there?

Thanks.

I just type the last name of the player I’m looking for in the search engine, select “search title only” and the player thread pops up within the first few results whether it’s on page 1 or page 50. Works fine.

Just wait till Monday and Tuesday (after a lot more games are played) when most of pages 1 and 2 are nothing but player threads (not counting pinned threads or ones that were pinned). And the problem is that most of those bumps aren't even really updates in the sense of having news. They are often just links with the player's stat line from this past week's game listed (which anyone can find anywhere). I get having them all in one place, but it feels like a subforum for just that is needed, that way the NFL threads that generate actual discussion are not getting lost in the Faust bump blitz. Just my opinion.

Thanks. I'm saying though it's not been my experience that @Faust is needlessly bumping non important threads.

It's certainly busy on game day as there are of course lots of players in action and being discussed, but I feel like the bumping has been mostly high value discussion.

How would you prefer to see the forum organized? When you say, the "NFL threads that generate actual discussion" what exactly do you mean there?

Thanks.
I already answered that second to last question (put player updates in their own subforum), and do I really need to go into specifics about NFL threads that generate discussions?

The bumping is high value discussion? Really? Okay, since you are making me do this, these are just some examples of bumps that resulted in zero discussion:

Did we really need a bump about Hayden Hurst (who has caught a whopping 18 balls this year)?

Thanks.
I already answered that second to last question (put player updates in their own subforum), and do I really need to go into specifics about NFL threads that generate discussions?

The bumping is high value discussion? Really? Okay, since you are making me do this, these are just some examples of bumps that resulted in zero discussion:

Did we really need a bump about Hayden Hurst (who has caught a whopping 18 balls this year)?

The "bump" for Hurst you linked was from October of 2022. The last post for Hurst was talking about his amnesia which some felt was something worth discussing. He's obviously not a top tight end, but some folks thought it was worthwhile to discuss.

I'm sorry but I'm still not sure I'm understanding. We had 1 week back in September where we did something out of the norm and a poster was trying to help and posted lots of updates. That prompted the first post in this thread. We agreed that was something we did not want to do as much here so we addressed it and the poster graciously agreed. Since then, I dont think we've had the same problem of things getting needlessly bumped. But I obviously could be wrong so that's why I'm asking.

For sure, not everyone agrees with every post. And I'm not too interested in demanding every post be inspected to make sure the value meets our standard. Part of discussion is different opinions.

If you see needless bumps like a stat line with no other context, please report it.

For your question, "and do I really need to go into specifics about NFL threads that generate discussions?", the answer is yes. If we remove the individual player threads and put them in another forum, what type of threads would you prefer to see?

Thanks for the discussion on this. As I mentioned, my only goal is trying to understand what folks are looking for.

Last edited:
I just type the last name of the player I’m looking for in the search engine, select “search title only” and the player thread pops up within the first few results whether it’s on page 1 or page 50. Works fine.

Thanks. That's what I do too. One huge advantage of the new forum software is the search is much better.

I also use this thread a good bit that we keep pinned in the Shark Pool. https://forums.footballguys.com/thr...and-team-threads-now-updated-for-2023.805460/

Another good week. I think the pinned game threads and then unpinning the next day are working well.
To bump this, I agree, but the individual player threads still being in the shark pool is a killjoy, thanks to having 1,000 of them bumped a week. Seems like every time there is a good thread with good chatter, it falls down to page 3 or 4 by Tuesday because we needed to bump a thread to let everyone know that some no-name TE caught a pass. It's obnoxious.

It's your forum, I get it, but the SP is much worse off because of the above.
Having to go to page 3 to find a thread might just be the very definition of “first world problem“.
I'm pretty mad about James Cook's 5 point performance yesterday. Can we do something about that?

Thanks.

The "bump" for Hurst you linked was from October of 2022. The last post for Hurst was talking about his amnesia which some felt was something worth discussing. He's obviously not a top tight end, but some folks thought it was worthwhile to discuss.

I'm sorry but I'm still not sure I'm understanding. We had 1 week back in September where we did something out of the norm and a poster was trying to help and posted lots of updates. That prompted the first post in this thread. We agreed that was something we did not want to do as much here so we addressed it and the poster graciously agreed. Since then, I dont think we've had the same problem of things getting needlessly bumped. But I obviously could be wrong so that's why I'm asking.

For sure, not everyone agrees with every post. And I'm not too interested in demanding every post be inspected to make sure the value meets our standard. Part of discussion is different opinions.

If you see needless bumps like a stat line with no other context, please report it.

For your question, "and do I really need to go into specifics about NFL threads that generate discussions?", the answer is yes. If we remove the individual player threads and put them in another forum, what type of threads would you prefer to see?

Thanks for the discussion on this. As I mentioned, my only goal is trying to understand what folks are looking for.
I feel like I’ve answered this over the course of this thread. I too prefer to have a place where more general fantasy strategy is discussed.

Specifically, I’ve created threads about draft strategy, auction strategy, general nfl trends, and most recently a thread for people to discuss what went wrong with their draft strategy for people who did not make the playoffs. These all get some discussion but struggle to stay on the first page for the most part due to all the player discussion. If people would rather have specific player discussion, that’s fine and that seems to be the case. It just kind of kills my motivation to make more non player threads because I know it will be a struggle to keep it active and on the first page over the player threads.

Personally I don’t see the harm in separating player threads from general fantasy or nfl team discussion to their own sub forums since the forum is so active. I feel both could thrive.

Thanks.

I feel like I’ve answered this over the course of this thread. I too prefer to have a place where more general fantasy strategy is discussed.

Specifically, I’ve created threads about draft strategy, auction strategy, general nfl trends, and most recently a thread for people to discuss what went wrong with their draft strategy for people who did not make the playoffs. These all get some discussion but struggle to stay on the first page for the most part due to all the player discussion. If people would rather have specific player discussion, that’s fine and that seems to be the case. It just kind of kills my motivation to make more non player threads because I know it will be a struggle to keep it active and on the first page over the player threads.

Personally I don’t see the harm in separating player threads from general fantasy or nfl team discussion to their own sub forums since the forum is so active. I feel both could thrive.

Thanks. I could possibly see creating a new sub forum for strategy. Strategy is far less popular than discussing players for sure though. (as someone who much prefers talking strategy)

My fear in making a strategy sub forum is it struggles to get any traction and fractures the big forum that's wildly active. (even though it's supposedly been dying and near death for the last 20 years... ;) )

Let's kick around that idea.

Specifically what type of topics would you pull out of the main forum to have in the sub forum?

Thanks.

Thanks. I could possibly see creating a new sub forum for strategy. Strategy is far less popular than discussing players for sure though. (as someone who much prefers talking strategy)

My fear in making a strategy sub forum is it struggles to get any traction and fractures the big forum that's wildly active. (even though it's supposedly been dying and near death for the last 20 years... ;) )

Specifically what type of topics would you pull out of the main forum to have in the sub forum?
I think the concern about less traffic in a general strategy forum is valid. You either have them in a separate forum that is less active or you have them bumped off the first page. Not sure what the solution is.

Examples of threads that could be in a strategy forum.

Overall draft strategy
Auction draft strategy
Zero RB/Hero RB
What to do with with the Xth pick
NFL analytics threads
Making your own fantasy projections
ADP discussion: risers/fallers
Draft dominator tips
Bust candidates
Sleeper candidates
Trends in NFL offenses that affect fantasy
Fun threads like what is your live draft like or what is your league like
Funny fantasy team names

That’s just off the top of my head.

Again I don’t know if a separate forum is the best. All I can say as someone who has tried to make general fantasy threads in the shark pool is that they definitely lose a little visibility due to all the player threads.

I don’t think the shark pool is dying. I think the opposite is true. It’s too busy!

Last edited:

Thanks.

I think the concern about less traffic in a general strategy forum is valid. You either have them in a separate forum that is less active or you have them bumped off the first page. Not sure what the solution is.

Examples of threads that could be in a strategy forum.

Overall draft strategy
Auction draft strategy
Zero RB/Hero RB
What to do with with the Xth pick
NFL analytics threads
Making your own fantasy projections
ADP discussion: risers/fallers
Draft dominator tips
Bust candidates
Sleeper candidates
Trends in NFL offenses that affect fantasy
Fun threads like what is your live draft like or what is your league like
Funny fantasy team names

That’s just off the top of my head.

Again I don’t know if a separate forum is the best. All I can say as someone who has tried to make general fantasy threads in the shark pool is that they definitely lose a little visibility due to all the player threads.

I don’t think the shark pool is dying. I think the opposite is true. It’s too busy!

Thanks. We'll add it to the things we'll look at. I will say I'm pretty strongly in favor of not splintering up forums. I think they stay strongest when they're active and busy. And splintering the topics like this will for sure splinter the audience. But I also see the upsides. Thanks and we can continue to look at it.

Thanks. That's what I do too. One huge advantage of the new forum software is the search is much better.

I also use this thread a good bit that we keep pinned in the Shark Pool. https://forums.footballguys.com/thr...and-team-threads-now-updated-for-2023.805460/

Yes, was going to say, we made a shared login for the index and a number of posters have put in effort to keep that updated with team threads and player threads. Generally can post there if an update is needed. I don't do fantasy anymore but if I spot a request I'll usually try to hit it. I fixed a team thread a week or two ago when I found it pointed to a dead thread and the fans had made a new one for the team.

Others still around the boards who can make edits (in addition to mods of course) are @grateful zed , @ShamrockPride , and @Hankmoody and @Biabreakable.

Yes, was going to say, we made a shared login for the index and a number of posters have put in effort to keep that updated with team threads and player threads. Generally can post there if an update is needed. I don't do fantasy anymore but if I spot a request I'll usually try to hit it. I fixed a team thread a week or two ago when I found it pointed to a dead thread and the fans had made a new one for the team.

Others still around the boards who can make edits (in addition to mods of course) are @grateful zed , @ShamrockPride , and @Hankmoody and @Biabreakable.
As far as I know, for the most part I've been taking care of it since we had to reformat it. I know Greg said he made an edit recently, so don't want to take all the credit.

It's probably not as useful as it once was, since we now have a functional search engine, but it's still my own personal go-to when I need to find a player quickly.

I generally do a massive annual update involving rookies, as well some pruning right before each season starts (late August/early September). I admittedly need to do a better job of mid-season additions/guys who rise to prominence following injuries/etc.

I just did add some late season guys and updated all the team threads about a couple weeks ago.

Overall though, it should be here and in relatively good shape going forward. I enjoy keeping it up to date and organized each year. Always open to suggestions if anyone has anything they'd like to see. Happy to try and help where I can.

Users who are viewing this thread