What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Manningham (1 Viewer)

dwyadog

Footballguy
Anyone else impressed with this kid tonight? I took Nicks as a last round lark, put him on the IR when he got nicked up and have Manningham on my bench now. With Hixon getting a little banged up, can we expect Manningham to push forward into being the wr1 for the new york football giants? Seems like makes almost all the catches and while not one of the 6'4 220 types, has the speed and is even running good routes. What say you shark pool?

someone is going to emerge from the mass of Nicks, Smith, Hixon, Manningham....I just wasn't sure so I avoided the situation. Now it's looking more clear, he looks great.

I lost out on a blind-bidding war for him this past week... It was actually kinda stupid of me to bid so much for him since I own SSmith (who unfortunately is on my bench this week)

Anyone else impressed with this kid tonight? I took Nicks as a last round lark, put him on the IR when he got nicked up and have Manningham on my bench now. With Hixon getting a little banged up, can we expect Manningham to push forward into being the wr1 for the new york football giants? Seems like makes almost all the catches and while not one of the 6'4 220 types, has the speed and is even running good routes. What say you shark pool?
Traded Vick/Marshall for Edwards/Manningham just before this game. I'm feeling pretty happy about that right now. ;) Smith/Manningham are looking like very solid WRs for the Giants, just have to worry that the Giants will ultimately try to work Hixon/Nicks into rotation if one of them struggle, since they're both smaller guys. Still, have to like them after a couple games.

This week makes his performance a trend. He makes plays, has size and good hands, and Eli seems to be targeting him consistently.
Oh, how I wished I started him. I am probably gonna lose a close one. Oh well, at least I can start him with confidence next week vs Tampa :hifive:

Scooped hom up earlier this week. He starts over Brandon Marshall next week.
Same for me. I might just be remembering Desean Jackson too much, took him with my last pick last year but manninghams situation seems good, he has the skills and I've heard he was good as Michigan, anyone from there got more on it?His next 4 games are tb, kc, oak, no. Oak can be tough but that seems like a pretty nice wave to ride to me. Only downside is if he does break out hes going to have a horrible nickname. Fraction Jackson wasnt too bad, 10 bucks mario gets pegged as hammy or something equally clever.

He looks incredible tonight.

He had a great offseason and looked good in the preseason, so it's not a complete surprise. He also outplayed Hixon last week. This kid looks like an absolute beast, making tough catches in traffic.

He looks incredible tonight. He had a great offseason and looked good in the preseason, so it's not a complete surprise. He also outplayed Hixon last week. This kid looks like an absolute beast, making tough catches in traffic.
Weve been talking about him in the "smith hixon" thread for two weeks. He has been the real deal since camp.

Eli is not throwing for 330 every week. but it would be nice to have NYG's #1 WR.
Has he gained separation from Smith at this point? I'm hoping to get one of the two off of waivers this week (I know, I should have picked one up last week), but not sure which is top dog in a non-PPR format.

Eli is not throwing for 330 every week. but it would be nice to have NYG's #1 WR.
Has he gained separation from Smith at this point? I'm hoping to get one of the two off of waivers this week (I know, I should have picked one up last week), but not sure which is top dog in a non-PPR format.
smith is going to get his catches but eli also went to manningham in crunch time. i like smith too but in a 6 keeper league im glad to have picked up manningham, he might be "keepable" disclaimer: im always overly fond of rookie/second year receivers! heh

Last edited by a moderator:
why did Manningham struggle so much last year? Did the light just suddenly come on this year? I admit i don't remember watching or seeing him AT ALL last year...

why did Manningham struggle so much last year? Did the light just suddenly come on this year? I admit i don't remember watching or seeing him AT ALL last year...
rookies dont always get it.Plus he admitted to smokin the ganja and fialin a drug test at UofM. it happens.

smith is going to get his catches but eli also went to manningham in crunch time. i like smith too but in a 6 keeper league im glad to have picked up manningham, he might be "keepable" disclaimer: im always overly fond of rookie/second year receivers! heh
Still think the Giants #1 is Smith, but Manningham looks good even if Hixon and Nicks come back.

rookies dont always get it.Plus he admitted to smokin the ganja and fialin a drug test at UofM. it happens.
Actually he was hurt in the pre-season and missed most of camp which left him as an afterthought for the season plus he's not the brightest bulb around... took him a bit longer to start to figure out where to be on the field.

My fear is that once the Giants get their running game going there won't be enough passes to make Smith and Manningham both worthwhile every week. When there was a clear #1 in Plaxico that wasn't as much of a problem, but how anyone can tell whether Smith or Manningham is the #1 now is beyond me.

My fear is that once the Giants get their running game going there won't be enough passes to make Smith and Manningham both worthwhile every week. When there was a clear #1 in Plaxico that wasn't as much of a problem, but how anyone can tell whether Smith or Manningham is the #1 now is beyond me.
That makes sense. Right now I'm just looking at the trend beginning with camp/preseason and week 1 and 2. Hard not to see Manningham as their best asset going forward. He could of course just end up being a flash in the pan but even though as a Pats fan I hate eli, they didnt give him all that dough to put up 210-1-1 stat lines. He looks better now than he ever has and I could easily see Manningham averaging 7-8 targets a game. With his ability after the catch, makes for a nice wr2. Once Hixon is back to 100% and Nicks is back it could change but those two might have to fight it out for the #3 spot, giving smith the move-the-chains role and manningham all the seam, downfield, screen stuff. I always try and find a silver lining to things. Lets say Smith will be 1a and Manningham 1b, well to me that means Manningham isnt always getting the best corner on him or the safety over the top. Very enticing. Its still really early of course but it is fun to watch.edited to change hixon to smith in certain sentences, time to lay off the guinness and go to bed!

Actually he was hurt in the pre-season and missed most of camp which left him as an afterthought for the season plus he's not the brightest bulb around... took him a bit longer to start to figure out where to be on the field.
Exactly, he was hurt and never got into the mix. The upside for Manningham is the Giants have a running game (although admittedly, not tonight) to run a play-action game and get the ball to a guy who can get yards after the catch. Manningham looks like a terrific WR3/Flex guy, going forward. I dropped Nicks for Manningham this week, because Nicks looks like he's going to have Manningham's season last year ... injured too early to make a difference.

This week makes his performance a trend. He makes plays, has size and good hands, and Eli seems to be targeting him consistently.
??? Isn't he 5'11" and 185? You list that as a positive attribute?
True. I should rephrase that as, has enough size and strength to allow him to gain separation and make plays when he needs to. Certainly plays a lot bigger than whatever he is listed as. Definitely a positive attribute.Given that this the only detraction of Manningham's that you chose to pick out, are you intimating that because he isn't 15 lbs heavier and 3 inches taller, that he does not have as much value?

He's one of those guys who looks larger than his actual size, likely because of the way that he goes up for the ball (a necessity given that many of Eli's throws tend to sail) and catches with his hands, with his arms extended. I think the slew of Michigan WR failures before him pushed his value downward, but he appears to be the real deal, as does his teammate Steve Smith. It's still hard to say what Hixon and Nicks will ultimately do, but Manningham and Smith appear to be making the most of their opportunity to solidify themselves in the starting lineup.

Going off Mike Herman's WR Matrix, it would appear that Manningham can expect to finish somewhere in the 17th to 30th wideout zone. Not bad for a waiver wire guy. Excellent value actually.

Small guys are effective, he is ellusive, and has great hands....a deadly combo that rivals the tall redzone kinda beast!Plus it looks like he has NO prob crossing the middle!

I was never intending to say that 5'11" and 185 is a detriment (many top NFL WRs are this size), but as Stompin' Tom corrected, he's not a BIG guy. He's not going to be doing Colston/Braylon/Fitz/Boldin type things. He's not a jump ball guy. He's not going to be boxing out defenders A.Gates style. Nobody's saying he can't be Santonio Holmes.

I do agree that he's talented enough to be a starter in the NFL. He was a big play guy @ Michigan, but as has been stated his attitude and pot drug him down almost as much as his horrible 40 yard dash. I remember watching his combine, and his form in the 40 was one of the worst I'd ever seen and even though he looked like a 4.38-4.43 guy on the field he couldn't put it on paper. Many questioned his devotion after not getting ANY track training and having a little diva mentality combined with an affliction for mary jane. Not being a top draft pick didn't put the organization in any position to feel pressured to get him playing time even after Burress went down. Given time, he looks like he's getting to where he is supposed to be and it looks like Eli is beginning to trust him to be there. Not to say that Smith, Hixon, Nicks or Moss can't beat him out over the long run but I don't think any of them are head and shoulders better than him either. 'Ham has a foothold and needs to keep working to maintain it, but now is his opportunity. If he's free, cheap or already on your roster, good for you.

Manningham was actually a nice prospect who fell from the NFL draft due to off field concerns. I always felt people were overvalueing Hixon and I think Manningham has more potential than Hixon did. Manningham might even pefrom better as the WR3 than Hixon as the starter. On the other side, Smith has locked up the job.

There are only so many star WRs in the NFL and not every team has one. People are always reaching in fantasy drafts for joe receiver because they assume he's the number one reciever on a particuliar team. There is no such thing in the NFL as WR1 and WR2. Only 2 starters and the 3rd reciever in the commonly used 3WR set. I find it amusing when a non stud WR gets a high ranking because he's labeled a WR1 for his team by fantasy sites.

The Giants dont have a star reciever. The only promising thing is that they dont have a good receiving TE or RB either. So Manning is targeting the WRs and Manning is an accurate passer. Manning has always spread the ball around and like I said there is no WR1. Its more a matter of who the defense allows to get open. Manning will get the ball there. The Cowboys secondary is suspect, dont expect frequent big performances from any particuliar WR on this team.

True. I should rephrase that as, has enough size and strength to allow him to gain separation and make plays when he needs to. Certainly plays a lot bigger than whatever he is listed as. Definitely a positive attribute.Given that this the only detraction of Manningham's that you chose to pick out, are you intimating that because he isn't 15 lbs heavier and 3 inches taller, that he does not have as much value?
I missed both New York games.What kind of catches is he making?

Is he burning people in Man coverage, or is he finding the soft spot in the zone defense?

or is he doing both?

The type of catches he is making and then looking at the defenses he has faced will go a long way in terms of helping us figure out what kind of talent he is.

Manningham was actually a nice prospect who fell from the NFL draft due to off field concerns. I always felt people were overvalueing Hixon and I think Manningham has more potential than Hixon did. Manningham might even pefrom better as the WR3 than Hixon as the starter. On the other side, Smith has locked up the job. There are only so many star WRs in the NFL and not every team has one. People are always reaching in fantasy drafts for joe receiver because they assume he's the number one reciever on a particuliar team. There is no such thing in the NFL as WR1 and WR2. Only 2 starters and the 3rd reciever in the commonly used 3WR set. I find it amusing when a non stud WR gets a high ranking because he's labeled a WR1 for his team by fantasy sites. The Giants dont have a star reciever. The only promising thing is that they dont have a good receiving TE or RB either. So Manning is targeting the WRs and Manning is an accurate passer. Manning has always spread the ball around and like I said there is no WR1. Its more a matter of who the defense allows to get open. Manning will get the ball there. The Cowboys secondary is suspect, dont expect frequent big performances from any particuliar WR on this team.
Yeah, with a stud WR, Manning has more 300 yard games. With no Stud WR, the 300 yard games will be less common, but 250 yard games are still likely to be the norm.I grabbed Eli in one of my drafts in the 8th round. I think I got pretty good value there.

Manningham is a playmaker. You could see that at Michigan nearly every week.

Sometimes that does not translate to the pros. But, if you saw him in the preseason, and knew he had the health problems last year, he was screaming possible breakout guy.

I said to a friend as we went to the first week of games that I thought Manningham could be a hot waiver pickup after week 1 or 2. I also said that if I had been smart I would have drafted him instead of talking about waivers!

That is correct and one thing people are mis-stating...his hands. he has NOT shown good hands. He dropped some wide open passes before last game. Even on his TD he bobbled it and got lucky the ball stayed away from the defender. He also didn't catch two other balls cleanly. His hands are suspect, but he is a great playmaker and has extremely quick moves to make guys miss. He also accelerates very quickly. His route running is improving and obviously the results last night were phenomenal.Looking forward I would be careful overvaluing him because the Giants have a lot of solid choices, including the RB's and when Hixon and Nicks can play the person who gets upgraded will be ELi because he will have a lot of solid #2 choices to throw to. Side note, Ramses barden who was by far the most impressive receiver showing GLUE hands and size has not played. Last night with Hixon and Nicks out, they went with Hagan (the ex Dolphin) and he had a huge grab. Hagan is just a 4th WR type with decent size/hands and probably was in because of his experience (compared to Barden) in a big game.I think the ball will be spread out and the big winner will be Eli (and the Giants). I would not go crazy over any of the Giant receivers and that is because I think they were all a little underrated coming into this year (as I have said before). I also need to state that I didn't see this happening with Manningham because he didn't play at all last year and in the earlier games this year he dropped some balls that made me think he just wouldn't get it done. In fact, based on what I saw (only games not practice), I was shocked that they had him over Nicks as the #3. He looked great last night, but I still believe that fantasy wise none of the options will be great.

I've been on the Manningham band wagon for 2 years now. It's nice to see him finally living up to his potential. How quickly people seem to forget that this guy was a dominant WR in college who only dropped in the draft because of immaturity. It seems he has gown up a bit.

If Manningham has his head on straight he is easily the most gifted WR on the Giants.

I wouldn't consider Manningham as the second coming just yet. Steve Smith is definately a better bet in PPR leagues in my view as he already developed a rapport with Manning last year, where he began assuming a larger share of the control passes which typically went to Toomer. In addition, it looked like Smith may start running longer routes than he did last year (based on what I saw in the first two games). Manningham's time is dependent on the health of Hixon and Nicks. I'm not sure of the extent of either player's injuries, but if they're back in the next two weeks, that may spell some down-time for Manningham.

Also, if you're looking for a dynasty receiver, Nicks is a safer bet than Manningham.

I wouldn't consider Manningham as the second coming just yet. Steve Smith is definately a better bet in PPR leagues in my view as he already developed a rapport with Manning last year, where he began assuming a larger share of the control passes which typically went to Toomer. In addition, it looked like Smith may start running longer routes than he did last year (based on what I saw in the first two games). Manningham's time is dependent on the health of Hixon and Nicks. I'm not sure of the extent of either player's injuries, but if they're back in the next two weeks, that may spell some down-time for Manningham. Also, if you're looking for a dynasty receiver, Nicks is a safer bet than Manningham.
That is doing a lot of ruling out because Manningham may put Hixon on the bench, seeing he has been more effective. Nobody knows what Nicks will be until he is healthy and has some experienc. S.Smith is looking good, a heck of a lot better than last year. Door was wide open for Manningham at training camp and he put his foot in it, and by the looks of it, he isn't taking it out.

Users who are viewing this thread