What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marlon Brown - let's discuss (1 Viewer)

Bump... seems funny no one's talking about this guy.
I hear ya. I think it's quiet in this thread because nobody's really sure what to think. I had him in my lineups only because Calvin and Shorts were on a bye, but I'm starting to think it's time to consider Brown over Shorts from week to week based on matchups. The biggest problem is lack of targets, but like you said wdcrob, 9 targets coming out of the bye might be a good sign of things to come. Especially considering he has Flacco's undivided attention in the red zone right now.

How do we possibly evaluate his dynasty value? Pitta is coming back at some point, how much does that reduce his role? On the other hand, this cat is barely a year removed from tearing his ACL soooo...are we witnessing 60-70% of what he's capable of? As for me, I'm cautiously optimistic that 1-2 years from now Brown (and not Torrey Smith) could be this team's most complete WR. Or is this the PERFECT sell high opportunity? At the end of the day, this was the nation's 5th ranked receiver coming out of high school so, even though his college production left a lot to be desired, the pedigree is there. There's not a single player on my roster I'd feel LESS comfortable trading away right now - I think that's why the threads so quiet is we really don't know what's real with this guy yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like how he could develop with Smith on the other side and Pitta in the middle. Flacco is a stable QB and strong organization. But this offense is so inconsistent that its hard to count on him. Plus everyone falls in love with high ceiling breakout candidate WR3 so guys like this don't get a lot of publicity.

I held on to him way too long at the beginning of the season, at the expense of getting Terrence Williams, and almost keeping me from picking up Keenan Allen. I dropped him a few weeks ago and haven't looked back.

He's a solid WR4 who I think got a bump from Haden being on Smith. I see him as a slightly lower ceiling Terrence Williams. Flacco likes him in the red zone, but they aren't there that often, and there isn't enough volume there for him to have much more upside. IMO, in redraft, not much use after the bye weeks outside of desperation plays or deep leagues/rosters. But something may be developing long-term, if the O-Line improves. The team certainly seems committed to the pass, sometimes involuntarily.

I

Bump... seems funny no one's talking about this guy.
I hear ya. I think it's quiet in this thread because nobody's really sure what to think. I had him in my lineups only because Calvin and Shorts were on a bye, but I'm starting to think it's time to consider Brown over Shorts from week to week based on matchups. The biggest problem is lack of targets, but like you said wdcrob, 9 targets coming out of the bye might be a good sign of things to come. Especially considering he has Flacco's undivided attention in the red zone right now.

How do we possibly evaluate his dynasty value? Pitta is coming back at some point, how much does that reduce his role? On the other hand, this cat is barely a year removed from tearing his ACL soooo...are we witnessing 60-70% of what he's capable of? As for me, I'm cautiously optimistic that 1-2 years from now Brown (and not Torrey Smith) could be this team's most complete WR. Or is this the PERFECT sell high opportunity? At the end of the day, this was the nation's 5th ranked receiver coming out of high school so, even though his college production left a lot to be desired, the pedigree is there. There's not a single player on my roster I'd feel LESS comfortable trading away right now - I think that's why the threads so quiet is we really don't know what's real with this guy yet.
This is a great post. I was just thinking the same thing with him in on my dynasty team. I really don't know what I have with him. He is an obvious hold for the time being.

He reminds me a bit of Colston in build and playing style. What I like most about his play this season is that he seems to consistently deliver when given opportunities. Going all the way back to the preseason, he has shown a knack for making key plays and catching touchdowns. He's a big target who seems to have a big catch radius, but he can also run after the catch. I think he's a strong hold/possible buy in dynasty. In redraft I've already been forced to start him in a few leagues due to a lack of better options. If he gets 9 targets every week then he should be a WR2-WR3 almost by default.

Grabbed him back off the WW without a bid (had him earlier in the year but had to drop for K/DEF fillers). That surprised me. Apparently people still haven't taken notice.

Rotoworld:

Marlon Brown caught one pass for 12 yards in Week 13 against the Steelers.

It was Brown's lone target on the night. After missing Week 11 with a knee injury, Brown has caught just two passes for 13 yards in two games since. He's an extremely unreliable WR4. Jacoby Jones seems to have passed him on the depth chart.

Thoughts on Marlon after the Steve Smith signing? The news was all about the Ravens drafting a WR high but now that they've signed Smith it seems like a bit of faith in Brown since they don't have as much need for another WR. The draft should tell us a lot about how the Ravens feel about him.

Thoughts on Marlon after the Steve Smith signing? The news was all about the Ravens drafting a WR high but now that they've signed Smith it seems like a bit of faith in Brown since they don't have as much need for another WR. The draft should tell us a lot about how the Ravens feel about him.
They may like him, but not be willing to count on him yet. So I don't think an early WR would necessarily kill his prospects.

But if Smith is all they bring in I'd be pretty happy as a Brown owner.

I have Brown in my Dynasty. Brown, Smith, and Smith sounds like a solid 3WR set to me.

I want to see Baltimore load up on Defense.

I have Brown, and am planning to keep him on my Dyno roster next year. The thing that would/could change my mind is a 1st round WR going to BAL.

I think I overrated his potential last year after his initial splash. I don't really view him as a great prospect and would probably sell for an early 3rd round rookie pick given the depth in this class. He's still an interesting hold though as a guy with some halfway decent physical tools who showed flashes of competence last season.

To be honest I think people are underrating him. His frame makes him an excellent RZ target. MFL has him catching no tds this year? All they have is Jacoby Jones (really)?, steve smith (35), torrey smith (contract coming up), Pitta with owens. and the shell of ray rice. I think he's a good hold. They also picked up a wr in the 7th round, I think that speaks volumes to their faith in the wr corp.. I don't see how he can't build off his numbers last year with a regression in TDs. Also add the fact that he was 10 months removed from a torn ACL and a rookie when he got thrown into the lions den when pitta got hurt; Sources say he has his explosiveness back. Since we couldn't see it last season I wonder what that looks like?

First, MFL relies on one of the worst set of projections available. They're useless.

Second, how does an UDFA that makes the defending SB champ, plays a huge majority of snaps when he's healthy, and catches 7 TDs get downgraded?

He's got potential for sneaky production. Might quietly go off for 850 / 8 Touchdowns.

I don't think Steve Smith is a huge obstacle at this point.

I think Steve Smiths production is pretty easy to predict. He fills the Boldin role of a tough, possession receiver. Something they have been hurting for since Boldin left. I don't see Brown being a big target guy this year if everyone's healthy. I think he'll be in on 3WR sets and in the red zone. I'm a dynasty owner as well and like his potential, but I just have a hard time predicting a big year for him in receptions and yardage.

What keeps me optimistic is how he showed he can play as an undrafted rookie less than a year from an ACL tear. He should have a nice career, just not sure this is going to be his breakout year.

I think I overrated his potential last year after his initial splash. I don't really view him as a great prospect and would probably sell for an early 3rd round rookie pick given the depth in this class. He's still an interesting hold though as a guy with some halfway decent physical tools who showed flashes of competence last season.
I don't think he's less talented than Martavis Bryant who is worth a late 2nd. I hate defending him since I was forced to move him for roster reasons but you're selling his skills short.

I read the whole thread just know and you were liking the guy before. I don't think there have been any negatives from then since now, in fact I'd say just positives. What makes you think you overrated him?

Well, I think at one point I was talking about him as a top 10 guy in last year's class. That just seems too optimistic. He got on the field and showed that he can play at this level. Whether or not he can take the next step and become a useful player in FF is still in doubt to me. He's not quite an outside speed WR and not quite a classic west coast possession guy. I see him as being a lesser version of Colston.

Well, I think at one point I was talking about him as a top 10 guy in last year's class. That just seems too optimistic. He got on the field and showed that he can play at this level. Whether or not he can take the next step and become a useful player in FF is still in doubt to me. He's not quite an outside speed WR and not quite a classic west coast possession guy. I see him as being a lesser version of Colston.
Take out the game he got hurt and the two after he returned where he was gimping around, and he was a solid WR3 as a rookie UDFA at 12.5ppg. He averaged 7 targets per game outside the injury, but had six total in the four game stretch where he was hurt.

I don't know if he's going to average a TD every 11 targets in the long run. Seems unlikely.

I think with Pitta back they will be less reliant on him as the short-intermediate target.

Still think he's a hold at his market price. Nobody has made me a decent offer for him anywhere and when I've shopped him there's been no interest.

I liked the rapport flacco had with brown though. Even though Pitta is back I think we will see brown get a lot of action from the slot while the cornerbacks are taking care of the Smith Gang. I honestly think this year is a great scenario for him, maybe not a break out year, but one where he now has his burst back from the ACL injury and also gets better at route running. I think the jury is still out on a west coast possession wide receiver. I think you're right about his lack of blow the top off of defense outside speed, but his 6'5 202 pound frame and basketball background could make him a very good Colston mold. Maybe a high to middle income Colston?

Yea, I could certainly see that.

I like Pitta, but the Smiths on the outside leave something to be desired. He should get a lot of snaps.

I cut him in my draft last night for Allen Robinson. He was just hanging out there and Marlon drew the short stray. I still have him in another dynasty but felt Robinson offered significantly better pedigree.

This guy's value is all over the board. I'm buying where I can, but feedback I am getting is that people see him as at least a fourth option behind Torrey, Steve and Pitta. I think he's building a rapport with Flacco and will be more involved than people reallze. Seems to me to be a great buy low.

This guy's value is all over the board. I'm buying where I can, but feedback I am getting is that people see him as at least a fourth option behind Torrey, Steve and Pitta. I think he's building a rapport with Flacco and will be more involved than people reallze. Seems to me to be a great buy low.
I agree. I was really high on him until the Steve Smith signing. I think if Brown is on the field he would put up good numbers, with Smith there I'm not sure how often he'll even be on the field this year. So hopefully Steve Smith continues on his regression and just becomes a rotational/depth guy instead of being opposite Torrey at all times.

Rotoworld:

Marlon Brown - WR - Ravens

ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley believes Marlon Brown "deserves to be the No. 3" wide receiver over Jacoby Jones.

Jones has more drops (four) than catches (three) this season, while Brown has caught all four of his targets. Brown is not the deep threat Jones is, however, and neither player is likely to see many targets in OC Gary Kubiak's tight end heavy scheme. Brown is a hold in Dynasty leagues, but is still well off the redraft radar.

Source: ESPN.com

Oct 4 - 10:23 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley believes Marlon Brown "deserves to be the No. 3" wide receiver over Jacoby Jones.

Jones has more drops (four) than catches (three) this season, while Brown has caught all four of his targets. Brown is not the deep threat Jones is, however, and neither player is likely to see many targets in OC Gary Kubiak's tight end heavy scheme. Brown is a hold in Dynasty leagues, but is still well off the redraft radar.

Hard to see much value here with the system/QB.

Rotoworld:

Minimal value in redraft for sure.

I do agree he's an intriguing dynasty asset. He put up a heck of a rookie season and really doesn't have significant obstacles in terms of the 2015 depth chart. The OC may be another story. He could easily be the WR2 for the Ravens next year and I'm not sure Smith can keep him from emerging as more than that. The 2015 draft will tell us a lot about how the organization sees him.

Liked him all last year and this pre-season, but the coaches obviously don't see him as a WR1 type since they brought in Smith and Brown's been nailed to the bench behind Jones (who is a not very good WR).

Rotoworld:

ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley believes Marlon Brown "deserves to be the No. 3" wide receiver over Jacoby Jones.Jones has more drops (four) than catches (three) this season, while Brown has caught all four of his targets. Brown is not the deep threat Jones is, however, and neither player is likely to see many targets in OC Gary Kubiak's tight end heavy scheme. Brown is a hold in Dynasty leagues, but is still well off the redraft radar.

He is a great red zone target. Especially now that Pitta is gone. Unfortunately, I don't think Kubiak believes this.

Rotoworld:

Steve Smith seems to be doing alright this year, and that's the spot Brown would slide into.

Rotoworld:

Marlon Brown didn't have a single target when the Ravens were inside the 20-yard line in 2014.

At 6'5/214, Brown's strength should be in the red zone -- he caught seven touchdowns as a rookie in 2013. But a poor 2014 training camp coupled with sustained health from most of the Ravens' receiving corps left him with little opportunity. Brown played 27.0 snaps per game and finished with 24-255-0, often operating as the No. 4 receiver. The Ravens can't trust him to step up to the plate should Torrey Smith move on in free agency.

Feb 9 - 9:26 AM

Rotoworld:

The Ravens are not expected to go into the season with Marlon Brown or Kamar Aiken as a starting receiver.
The Ravens currently have 35-year-old Steve Smith and a bunch of borderline NFL players on their wideout depth chart. Perhaps no team is more likely to spend a priority draft pick at the position, especially with pass-happy Marc Trestman now coordinating the offense. The Ravens hold the No. 26 overall pick in the first round, a spot they could land someone like Arizona State WR Jaelen Strong or Central Florida WR Breshad Perriman.

Related: Kamar Aiken

Mar 30 - 10:09 AM

Rotoworld:

Marlon Brown didn't have a single target when the Ravens were inside the 20-yard line in 2014.

At 6'5/214, Brown's strength should be in the red zone -- he caught seven touchdowns as a rookie in 2013. But a poor 2014 training camp coupled with sustained health from most of the Ravens' receiving corps left him with little opportunity. Brown played 27.0 snaps per game and finished with 24-255-0, often operating as the No. 4 receiver. The Ravens can't trust him to step up to the plate should Torrey Smith move on in free agency.

Kubiaked.

Rotoworld:

Why can't they trust him? Seemed pretty damn good in the redzone the year before.

Rotoworld:

Why can't they trust him? Seemed pretty damn good in the redzone the year before.
It's Roto, they're the queen of the flip flop. But yes, If I were a GM in need of a WR, I'd be phoning in for this guy. He's a low-end WR2 at the worst.

Rotoworld:

Ravens coach John Harbaugh believes it "should be a big year" for Marlon Brown.

Brown will open the year no higher than No. 3 on the depth chart after the Ravens selected Breshad Perriman in the first round, but there will still be plenty of targets for the taking. In theory, Brown will battle it out with Kamar Aiken to be No. 3 on the wideout targets totem pole. Standing in at 6-foot-5, Brown wasn't targeted inside the 20-yard line last season. That needs to change in 2015.

Source: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter

May 12 - 7:23 PM

Brown, Aiken and Perriman going to make it hard for anyone to have a lot of value. Doubly so if it turns out Waller can play too.

Users who are viewing this thread