What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marty Scorsese and The Killers of the Flower Moon (1 Viewer)

I loved Shutter Island. I can see why it wasn’t some peoples thing though. I thought watching it a second time, knowing the outcome, and looking for the tells was equally as cool.

I loved Shutter Island. I can see why it wasn’t some peoples thing though. I thought watching it a second time, knowing the outcome, and looking for the tells was equally as cool.

I really wanted to like it as this genre of horror is generally right up my alley. Maybe I had too high of expectations thinking Marty was going to bless us with the second coming of The Shining.

Maybe? I think it's over my pay grade, tbh
Nah.

It's rare for a movie to affect us that way, so is notable/impressive and uncomfortable.

Nothing wrong with not being re-watchable.

The Revenant was powerful, but I'm all set for a while

The lingering shots on his dead children was particularly distasteful, IMO. Unnecessary for a viewer like me. Had I known about it I probably would have passed altogether.

Saw it yesterday. Very well done but a slow mover for sure. Felt like a very personal storytelling by Scorsese. And on top of that my movie going chops aren't what they used to be. Got there 15 minutes before the start time on the ticket, waited through close to an hour of ads and previews and then a 3 hour movie. Rookie move.

Lots of surprise faces for me since I hadn't followed this very closely. I leaned over to my wife at least 6 times and said "hey, isn't that X".

I just got back. I thought it was extremely powerful. And melancholy. And infuriating. Will refrain from too much discussion until others have had a chance to see it, but felt that Scorsese made the right decision in shifting away from the police procedural and focusing instead on the Osage people and the complicated marriage at the center of the tale. I have no idea what will happen come award season but Lily Gladstone turned in a restrained but Oscar worthy performance and I have a lot of respect for Leo taking on this role.

Edit: I was fully prepared to feel the run time, but I thought the pacing, while deliberate, was fine and didn’t think the telling of the story was in need of any further editing.

We were gonna go see this yesterday. Then we saw it was over three hours long. Gonna pass on it now. Make it a mini series ffs.

Did not like Raging Bull or Mean Streets found both I guess boring and couldn’t get into the characters.

Saw it tonight. I can't say I loved it but it's really not that kind of film. For me, it was a reminder of the power of cinema. I read the book several years ago and don't remember being as upset and outraged as I am now. The book spent a lot more time and focus on the investigation but in the movie, Jesse Plemons' character doesn't appear until the two hour mark. The film makes things more personal from the perspective of both the victims and criminals.

I'm glad we saw in the theater because it's one of those movies that would have taken us a couple of weeks to get through at home.

Never seen Shutter Island.

Is it spooky enough for October horror credit?

Great movie

Great, huh? I don't know about that. Weird, confusing with a neat mix of superhero powers assigned to Leo who can scale cliffs, swim through angry, cold waters like Aquaman and see in the dark. Great acting but I never need a rewatch of this movie in 10 lifetimes.
I think you missed the point/twist/reveal on this particular movie.

Hint: he didn’t really do any of those things.

I'm not a guy who is going to go to some tiny 30-seat "Indy House" theater to see something nobody has ever heard of . But I see a lot of movies. I have the monthly AMC Pass, and use it frequently.

I loved it, as an example of film making. Is it going to be your favorite "popcorn movie" to re-watch on a lazy Sunday? Highly unlikely. Is it the type of thing I'd want to show to film students and say, "this is how you make a movie?" Absolutely.

Acting, lighting, music, directing, story telling. All 10/10.

For me, as of today, the awards season is: Oppenheimer vs. Killers of the Flower Moon.

This may be recency bias talking, but I think in terms of what "deserves" the big category Oscar wins - I'd lean to Killers of the Flower Moon.

By the way, I loved how they handled the ending. Curious if that’s ever been done that way in another film.

It was certainly a change from the typical intertitles over a freeze frame approach used in many non-fiction films. It was a tiny bit of levity after a long dark movie and gave Jack White a chance to act.

My hot take is that it showed how the J. Edgar Hoover used the Osage murder case as propaganda to gain support for his fledgling FBI. This was a sub-plot of the book but didn't come into play in the movie.

Saw it tonight. I can't say I loved it but it's really not that kind of film. For me, it was a reminder of the power of cinema. I read the book several years ago and don't remember being as upset and outraged as I am now. The book spent a lot more time and focus on the investigation but in the movie, Jesse Plemons' character doesn't appear until the two hour mark. The film makes things more personal from the perspective of both the victims and criminals.

I'm glad we saw in the theater because it's one of those movies that would have taken us a couple of weeks to get through at home.

The bolded is precisely the reason why I would recommend that people see this in the theater. While the cinematography in parts certainly benefits from the beauty of the big screen, it's really the delicate power of the narrative that requires consumption in a single sitting. I think the impact of the film would suffer from the numerous interruptions that would inevitably result from watching a 3.5 hour film at home.

MoP Jr went early on Saturday and was very ho hum after
Said he loved the setting and the time period but lack of much action over 3.5 hours
He just seems like he echoed other critics who said visually something to see but exhaustive to watch for 3.5 hours

-I ended up just not having time to fit this in over the weekend but still plan on going to see it.
-I heard many not like Irishman and I loved that movie.
Just need a 4 hour block in the schedule, ideally early afternoon

MoP Jr went early on Saturday and was very ho hum after
Said he loved the setting and the time period but lack of much action over 3.5 hours
He just seems like he echoed other critics who said visually something to see but exhaustive to watch for 3.5 hours

-I ended up just not having time to fit this in over the weekend but still plan on going to see it.
-I heard many not like Irishman and I loved that movie.
Just need a 4 hour block in the schedule, ideally early afternoon

Yeah, there isn’t much action at all in this film. I haven’t read hardly any critic’s reviews that have said it’s exhaustive to see. I have however read quite a few audience reviews that said it’s too long. For my part, I was engrossed in the story and didn’t feel the run time at all. YMMV.

I'm not a guy who is going to go to some tiny 30-seat "Indy House" theater to see something nobody has ever heard of . But I see a lot of movies. I have the monthly AMC Pass, and use it frequently.

I loved it, as an example of film making. Is it going to be your favorite "popcorn movie" to re-watch on a lazy Sunday? Highly unlikely. Is it the type of thing I'd want to show to film students and say, "this is how you make a movie?" Absolutely.

For me, as of today, the awards season is: Oppenheimer vs. Killers of the Flower Moon.

This may be recency bias talking, but I think in terms of what "deserves" the big category Oscar wins - I'd lean to Killers of the Flower Moon.

It appears that Oppenheimer is still the Vegas favorite. Still, I wonder if 9 Best Picture nominations for Scorcese with no wins may tip the scale for the 80-year-old director.

It appears that Oppenheimer is still the Vegas favorite. Still, I wonder if 9 Best Picture nominations for Scorcese with no wins may tip the scale for the 80-year-old director.
Didn't he win for Departed?

Best Director.

Best Director.
Sorry, I totally read past the bolded. :bag:

Scorcese has never won best picture??? Wtf

Scorcese has never won best picture??? Wtf
I am pretty sure The Departed won, right?

Best Director.
Sorry, I totally read past the bolded. :bag:

:bag: is for me. I was wrong. The Departed did win Best Picture.

It was a tiny bit of levity after a long dark movie and gave Jack White a chance to act.
Wait, Jack White is in this?!?

I may just go watch this by myself. No way my wife would enjoy it.

Jack White
Jason Isbell
Sturgill Simpson
Pete Yorn
I was doing some double takes because I had no idea they were all in this. I thought Isbell was fantastic in his role. I figured he would have a scene but he kept reappearing and had to square of with Leo fn DiCaprio! And he pulls it off!

Last edited:

Great movie

Great, huh? I don't know about that. Weird, confusing with a neat mix of superhero powers assigned to Leo who can scale cliffs, swim through angry, cold waters like Aquaman and see in the dark. Great acting but I never need a rewatch of this movie in 10 lifetimes.

Yeah, that doesn't make it any better. Rolling Stone Magazine ranked 32 of his films. This one was 32nd. Still too high, IMO.

I just got back. I thought it was extremely powerful. And melancholy. And infuriating. Will refrain from too much discussion until others have had a chance to see it, but felt that Scorsese made the right decision in shifting away from the police procedural and focusing instead on the Osage people and the complicated marriage at the center of the tale. I have no idea what will happen come award season but Lily Gladstone turned in a restrained but Oscar worthy performance and I have a lot of respect for Leo taking on this role.

Edit: I was fully prepared to feel the run time, but I thought the pacing, while deliberate, was fine and didn’t think the telling of the story was in need of any further editing.

I just got back. Feel like I would have written almost the same review you did. I thought it was powerful and infuriating and kind of brilliant. And Lily Gladstone jumps off the screen in an extremely restrained way. Will be shocked if she doesn't get an Oscar nod.

KOFM
Snooze festival.

Usually don’t care for movies that are drenched in sepia and muted colors. And that was the case here.
Combine that drabness with glacial and repetitive pacing and a 3 1/2 run time and an underwhelming climax, you have a movie that tests the endurance and patience of its audience.

As I reflected on the movie on the way home I definitely questioned my time investment and knew that I would not be rewatching this movie in the future.

That said I would amplify on previous comments. Leo does deserve praise for taking on an unsympathetic role and there was an adjustment to seeing him in this type of role.
The actress who played Molly did a good job of displaying the stoicism that was perhaps the heart of the movie and influenced Scorscese’s decisions in its production.

Great movie

Yeah, that doesn't make it any better. Rolling Stone Magazine ranked 32 of his films. This one was 32nd. Still too high, IMO.
I loved it - it was one of those movies I got into and just loved all the twists and turns.

I didn't realize Jack White was in this. And i saw the movie. Or the others mentioned. I should have at least recognized Jack White.

Users who are viewing this thread