What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marv Lewis (1 Viewer)

Bad_Mo

Footballguy
Why would Lewis lower himself and take a shot at Roethlisberger?Anyone else notice that, after he went on and on trying to shut the media up about Palmer's injury, he then says something like...."what do you want him to do, cry like a baby like their QB did?....." and gets up from the interview table.I didn't see that coming at all. Don't be a doooosh, Marv. Accept the loss and injury with class. :o

Sometimes frustration gets the best of people. I would rather see the emotion than complacency

Sometimes frustration gets the best of people. I would rather see the emotion than complacency
Right, but he was pretty careful with his other statements. I mean, from what I heard, it didn't sound like he was blaming the D lineman for intentionally going after his knee.I understand that these teams are rivals so maybe something was said previously that made it easy for him to say what he said.

Why would Lewis lower himself and take a shot at Roethlisberger?

Anyone else notice that, after he went on and on trying to shut the media up about Palmer's injury, he then says something like...."what do you want him to do, cry like a baby like their QB did?....." and gets up from the interview table.

I didn't see that coming at all. Don't be a doooosh, Marv. Accept the loss and injury with class.

:o
Steeler homer here...., Ben did complain about a low hit from a Bengal earlier in the year.Anyway, I think Marv just lost his cool. The media was asking the same question over and over. Stick a microphone in anybody's face after an emotional event and you are bound to get some out of character statements from time to time.

In the grand scheme of things, this one was quite minor in my opinion.

I absoultely remeber a whole bunch of crying and blaming a loss on a freaking thumb injury. Every God-forsaken sportscaster was about to canonize Dueshlisbagger for his "heroic efforts" of playing with a bum thumb. It was so hurt that he threw for over 400 yards huh? He's hurt, let's throw it 40 times instead of the usual 15. It's rediculous all the pub the Steelers get. Maybe this is the sort of thing Marvin had to say to get this message across.

The Steelers are crybabys. They get it from the big game loser Cowher.
I absoultely remeber a whole bunch of crying and blaming a loss on a freaking thumb injury. Every God-forsaken sportscaster was about to canonize Dueshlisbagger for his "heroic efforts" of playing with a bum thumb. It was so hurt that he threw for over 400 yards huh? He's hurt, let's throw it 40 times instead of the usual 15. It's rediculous all the pub the Steelers get. Maybe this is the sort of thing Marvin had to say to get this message across.
:ptts: :towelwave: :towelwave:

The weekly Marvin Lewis press conference is usually about the most uncomfortable 15 minutes of radio you'll ever hear. While I fully admit that I have nothing but man-love for Marvin, he can be a real testy #### during his press conferences. In this situation, he was repeatedly being asked leading questions in hopes that he would say he thought it was a cheap hit, and he kind of blew his cool. Now, Roethlisberger did make those comments about Thurman's hit on him last time on a very similar play. I don't think either one was a dirty hit, but Marvin had had it with the question.

It's worth noting that the play in question that Roeth was "crying" about (the hit from O Thurmann) did draw a personal foul flag from the refs. That wasn't the case with KVO's hit yesterday.Not quite apples to apples.

It's worth noting that the play in question that Roeth was "crying" about (the hit from O Thurmann) did draw a personal foul flag from the refs. That wasn't the case with KVO's hit yesterday.

Not quite apples to apples.
Again, I'm not saying it was apples to apples, but the penalty had to do more with the timing of the hit as opposed to the kind of hit. Both were similar in that the defender was either tripped or falling and had no real way to stop their momentum from going into the quarterback. Again, not totally defending Lewis' comments, but you'd have to hear the five minutes leading up to that comment to understand better where it came from. He was just ticked off. Marvin is from Pittsburgh, broke into the league coaching in Pittsburgh, and has a ton of respect for the Steelers. He wasn't saying it just to be a ball buster, it was out of frustration with the press here.

Lewis should have been asked how it felt to be so incredibly outcoached in the biggest game of his head coaching career.You're NOT going to win a shootout with Kitna as your QB. Just aint gonna happen. Run the ball...let your D get some oxygen...chew up some clock...Even Jim Haslett won a playoff game...and he even coached the freaking Saints.

No way to know for sure but you have to wonder how much is planned for him to motivate his team. Sometimes coaches will do crazy things to get their team's attention. I wonder if he's setting up the stage for next year?

I like Marvin, so he gets a mulligan for saying stuff in the heat of battle. But, this was just another example of what I see as the classless attitude he instills in the Bengals towards the Steelers (and rest of the NFL) this year. Frankly, he should have used some of that 'tude to get his pro-bowl receiver, his "ball-hawking" defense, his special teams, and his offensive and defensive coordinators to actually show up during their most important game in the last 15 years.

No way to know for sure but you have to wonder how much is planned for him to motivate his team. Sometimes coaches will do crazy things to get their team's attention. I wonder if he's setting up the stage for next year?
Guarantee that it motivates the Steelers, and Roth specifically. You can't disrespect a guy that just torched your defense for three TDs that much without him remebering.Am I alone in thinking that this might have been a pivotal game in Roth's development? Not only is he near perfect as a QB and leader, but he also gets called out for his maturity after the game. Could be great incentive to take him to the next level.

I love it when Steeler opponents shoot themselves in the foot with their undisciplined big mouths. Seems to happen at least once a year.

Guarantee that it motivates the Steelers, and Roth specifically. You can't disrespect a guy that just torched your defense for three TDs that much without him remebering.Am I alone in thinking that this might have been a pivotal game in Roth's development? Not only is he near perfect as a QB and leader, but he also gets called out for his maturity after the game. Could be great incentive to take him to the next level.

I love it when Steeler opponents shoot themselves in the foot with their undisciplined big mouths. Seems to happen at least once a year.
Cincinnati Homer here. I give Marvin a break for heat of the moment. But I do think the Bengals Steelers rivalry just got turned up a couple of notches for the next couple of years. Hopefully the two of them have a great rivalry and both are successful and push each other.

But, this was just another example of what I see as the classless attitude he instills in the Bengals towards the Steelers (and rest of the NFL) this year.
This is BY FAR the most ridiculous statement I have heard. Marvin Lewis is at the top of the list when it comes to class in the NFL.

Cincinnati Homer here. I give Marvin a break for heat of the moment. But I do think the Bengals Steelers rivalry just got turned up a couple of notches for the next couple of years. Hopefully the two of them have a great rivalry and both are successful and push each other.
Now this I agree with. I think Cowher has generally had it easy in the historically weak AFC Central/North. I think having a team be a threat to take the division title each year is going to be a great motivator. I look forward to a long and legendary chapter being written between these teams the next few years.

But, this was just another example of what I see as the classless attitude he instills in the Bengals towards the Steelers (and rest of the NFL) this year.
This is BY FAR the most ridiculous statement I have heard. Marvin Lewis is at the top of the list when it comes to class in the NFL.
Would have agreed with you before yesterday.

Didn't say he wasn't classy as a person I said he fostered a classless attitude towards the Steelers this year. You can't deny it. He sacrificed some discipline in order to build the confidence of his team. He let Chad Johnson run his mouth at will until it was too late and it gave the steelers had a wall of motivation. His team made a rap video before they had earned anything (a mistake the steelers made in 95). His team used terrible towels to wipe their feet and catch their crumbs. And Marvin himself let slip more motivation in the middle of a frustrating string of questions. All of it smacks of a lack of discipline and experience. The Bengals haven't been an upper calibre team for many years. They acted like it. I'm not saying this attitude is going to last. When the Bengals mature, they'll act more mature and stop the classless antics. Just that easy. Please read my original post again to see that I like Marvin and gave him a mulligan on the statement. Peace.

Didn't say he wasn't classy as a person I said he fostered a classless attitude towards the Steelers this year. You can't deny it. He sacrificed some discipline in order to build the confidence of his team. He let Chad Johnson run his mouth at will until it was too late and it gave the steelers had a wall of motivation. His team made a rap video before they had earned anything (a mistake the steelers made in 95). His team used terrible towels to wipe their feet and catch their crumbs. And Marvin himself let slip more motivation in the middle of a frustrating string of questions. All of it smacks of a lack of discipline and experience. The Bengals haven't been an upper calibre team for many years. They acted like it. I'm not saying this attitude is going to last. When the Bengals mature, they'll act more mature and stop the classless antics. Just that easy. Please read my original post again to see that I like Marvin and gave him a mulligan on the statement. Peace.
Competitive spirit is all that is. The Steelers are obviously our rival and competition, why not induce some competitive spirit in your team. Cincinnati is tired of being the underdog, and Marvin Lewis is there to bring his team to the top. I don't understand why people have to be nice to each other all the time.

jetpack is taking it significantly further than I would, and he clearly feels different about its usefulness, but I do agree that Lewis has a chip about Pittsburgh ( I disagree with the word classless though). Cincy has been Pitt's ***ch for longer than a decade. They owned the Bengals, acted like it, talked like it, and played like it. Just a couple of years ago, you'd honestly have a tough time trying to figure out where you were at a Cincy-Pitt game in Cincy. Marvin has said enough with that. Pittsburgh makes a living of "out-toughing" their opponents and punking them out as soon as they step on the field. I don't know if I agree with all of it, but I have to say as a Bengals fan that I'll follow a guy who knowingly attacks that defeatist mindset. I don't have to agree with how he does it, I don't play for him, but I like what he's trying to do.

Apparently, the Steelers are the Dey.I think it would be a riot if the NFL Network re-worked that clip of the Bengals chanting in the locker room by dubbing in "Thaaaaa Steelers!" at the end of that man-group-hug-chant.Looks like a division rivalry has been intensified.

Apparently, the Steelers are the Dey.

I think it would be a riot if the NFL Network re-worked that clip of the Bengals chanting in the locker room by dubbing in "Thaaaaa Steelers!" at the end of that man-group-hug-chant.

Looks like a division rivalry has been intensified.
WE DEY!!!
Without Palmer, Bengals no match for Steelers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

CINCINNATI -- The sky was falling on the Bengals in their first playoff game since 1990.

Angela Simons, a Bengals fan, suffered a large cut to her head when a heavy sheet of metal came off the National City Bank Building and struck her during her walk to Sunday's game. Two plays into Carson Palmer's first playoff game, Bengals guard Eric Steinbach blocked Steelers defensive tackle Kimo von Oelhoffen into Palmer's lower left leg, ripping his ACL and his MCL.The Bengals' franchise quarterback was out of the game and suddenly a question mark to be ready for training camp.

Carson Palmer's season was ended on a first-quarter hit by Kimo von Oelhoffen.

Though the Bengals put up a good fight for a half, their playoff inexperience, coupled with the devastation of losing Palmer, caught up to them in the second half. The Steelers rallied from a 10-point deficit in the second quarter to blow away the Bengals 31-17. Though many Steelers players felt bad for Palmer, they didn't feel bad for the Bengals, who have suddenly become their most bitter rival in the AFC North.

"There is a lot of little stuff they did," Steelers linebacker Joey Porter said about the Steelers disdain for the Bengals. "You have T.J. Houshmandzadeh wiping his feet with the Terrible Towel. The whole bib thing [with Chad Johnson wearing the Terrible Towel as a bib to catch crumbs]. You kinda get ahead of yourself. They haven't been in the playoffs. They don't know what it takes. They proved it today."

Bengals fans' emotions went from elation to despair on Palmer's second play of the game. Palmer rifled a 66-yard completion down the right sideline to rookie Chris Henry. After he released the ball, Steinbach's block pushed von Oelhoffen toward Palmer's left leg. Palmer's left knee buckled and popped upon impact.

The crowd went silent. The Bengals turned bitter. Halfback Chris Perry came onto the field minutes later to challenge von Oelhoffen. Some players thought the hit was a cheap shot, and so did the fans. Palmer left the field on a cart. After the half, it was announced he tore the ACL and would be out until next season's training camp.

"I heard it pop," von Oelhoffen said. "The ACL is a bad one. It affected me a little bit. I got a lot of respect for that team and Carson Palmer. You never want to see that happen to anyone."

Coincidentally, Palmer and Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger talked about the knee brace that Palmer wears on his left knee before the game.

"He was saying to wear the knee brace on that knee," Roethlisberger said. "He said you need to wear it, and that was the knee that got hurt. Like I said, my thoughts and prayers are with him."

Palmer is the Bengals' franchise. He's a Pro Bowl quarterback, and he was making the first of what could be many playoff starts. Everything in the offense revolves around him. A third of the time, he's running a no-huddle offense and calling plays at the line of scrimmage. Like Roethlisberger, Palmer has the ability to rifle long completions.

His day seemingly started great with a 66-yard completion, but it ended with a pop.

"I knew right away that it was bad," Palmer said. "I felt my whole knee pop. I didn't feel a lot of pain. It wasn't really painful at all physically. It was just a sickening feeling because I knew what it was and that my season was over."

For a while, the Bengals fought the good fight. Jon Kitna came off the bench and finished what Palmer started by taking the Bengals to the Steelers 5-yard line and getting a 23-yard field goal. Kitna drove the Bengals 76 yards on the next possession and watched Rudi Johnson run 20 yards for a touchdown, giving the Bengals a 10-0 lead. A 7-yard touchdown pass to Housmandzadeh gave the Bengals a 17-7 lead in the second quarter.

Pretty soon, though, it started to show that this was the Bengals' first playoff game since 1990. The Steelers are a seasoned playoff team, and even though he's in just his second season, Roethlisberger is a seasoned playoff quarterback. He settled down an offense which started the game jumpy with false starts and a few mental mistakes.

Before long, the Steelers were mixing the runs with the passes and took control of the game. After Houshmandzadeh's touchdown, Roethlisberger drove the Steelers 76 yards in six plays and hit Hines Ward with a 5-yard touchdown pass. He didn't panic. A year ago against the Patriots, he did, throwing interceptions that the Steelers couldn't recover from.

"It's experience," Cowher said. "He's been there. It's not a case of having to do too much and take too much on his shoulders. He did a nice job of stepping and getting out of the pocket and hitting check downs. That's the thing, it's his composure. He's aware of what's going on and does a good job of being the leader that he is."

After a shaky first half, Cowher was happy to only trail 17-14. He could see the defense was revving up. Defensive coordinator **** LeBeau started blitzing more, which got Kitna out of rhythm.

In the second half, it was the Bengals -- the team without the playoff experience -- that was making the mistakes. Despite being at home, Bengals offensive players were getting false start penalties. Deep snapper Brad St. Louis blew a 33-yard field goal by snapping the ball over Shayne Graham's head.

Roethlisberger responded with a 66-yard touchdown drive to put the Steelers ahead 21-17. With the lead, the Steelers' blitz was relentless. Kitna had no time to sit in the pocket and throw. Receivers weren't open. After hitting six of his first seven passes, Kitna misfired on 15 of his next 33 passes. The Bengals were doomed.

The final blow was embarrassing to the Bengals. On a third-and-3 at the Bengals 43, Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt called a trick play. Antwaan Randle El moved next to Roethlisberger and took a direct snap from center. He scrambled to his right and then fired the ball across the field to Roethlisberger.

The Bengals secondary rushed in a panic toward Roethlisberger. Wide receivers Cedrick Wilson and Ward were wide open with no defender within 15 yards. Wilson caught the easy 43-yard touchdown to put the Steelers up 28-17 late in the third quarter.

"We've been repping that play for about two months," Cowher said. "We repped it this week and walked through it on Saturday. We've had it in there for a while, and Whiz [Ken Whisenhunt] made a great call in the perfect situation. We've got a lot of things and still have some more left. We're at the point now where there is no tomorrow. It was just a good call."

The Steelers should have had another touchdown on a trick play. Jerome Bettis misfired what could have been a touchdown pass on a halfback option.

It was a chippy game from the start. After numerous plays, players from both teams pushed and shoved each other. The trash talking was almost out of control at times. The Steelers thought the Bengals were too excited about making the playoffs and being considered an up-and-coming team.

In the locker room, the Steelers twisted the Bengals "Who Dey" cheer.

"We called it 'We Dey,'" Ward said. "We Dey put their ### out of the tournament. It was a great day today."

Porter remembered Chad Johnson saying that the torch had been passed in the AFC North when the Bengals beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh Dec. 4. He remembers Johnson saying the change was like going from black-and-white television to color TV.

"I'm going to send him the new plasma black-and-white TV," Porter said. "Hopefully, he's going to get the chance to watch us in our playoff game in Indianapolis."

Even in his moment of despair, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis tried to paint a better picture in light of the circumstances. Palmer blew out his knee. Chris Henry suffered a knee injury. The Bengals fell apart in the second half.

"It's unfortunate," Lewis said. "We're not going to sit here and baby and cry like their quarterback did."

Lewis was taking a shot at a Roethlisberger comment made earlier this year about low hits to his knee. Face it, these guys don't like each other. Now, Lewis has to get Palmer through a tough offseason of rehab, and get his team ready to fight again next year.

Yep, the sky was falling in Cincinnati on Sunday.

Maybe, but then again, maybe the Steelers never throw it enough to take Roethlisberger to that next level, unless of course that level includes a 190 ypg /1 td guy from game to game.

Last edited by a moderator:
This sort of reminds me of the Red Sox-Yankees thing from a couple of years ago.The Red Sox needed the flash, glamour, and all that in order to show they "belonged". After hearing about the Yankees for years and years and seeing them ahead in the standings, I guess it really took a little attitude to turn it around.Perhaps Cincinnati is having their own little renaissance.

I'll give Marvin a pass here.  He lost his franchise QB.  I'd be upset too.
Or, maybe he gained his franchised QB.Go Kitna! :P
Kitna is asa good as gone. My guess is to Baltimore. No way is he coming back just to have Palmer start over him again. Evn if Palmer doesn't start the season, he will surely the starter by the end of it.

Not that it's really pertinent to the thread topic, but I disagree and feel very strongly that Kitna will re-sign here. He's involved very much in the community, has put down some roots here, wants to get into coaching and has said he'd like to do it here, is getting older, will not be given a starting job anywhere, but will be allowed to "compete", and really relishes his role as a team leader. Kitna used to really get on my nerves as he would consistently break his previous record of mentioning the words "lord" and "savior" in his press conferences, but that's really who he is. He's a huge character guy, and I feel very strongly that at this point in his career he's not going to uproot his family for a "shot" at starting somewhere for a year or two until they draft their Carson Palmer. We'll see I guess, but I really think he'll stay.

Maybe, but then again, maybe the Steelers never throw it enough to take Roethlisberger to that next level, unless of course that level includes a 190 ypg /1 td guy from game to game.
This is a good point. The Steelers are traditionally a ball control team and that won't change with Cowher as coach. As far as I'm concerned the "next level" will be winning a superbowl. I have no doubt in my mind that Ben will get this team a superbowl ring eventually.

I can understand Lewis' frustration and while it might not have been the best thing to say, it was right after a playoff loss where they lost their best player right off the bat, so he had to be pretty aggravated and upset.

Users who are viewing this thread