What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Masked Singer (2 Viewers)

That’s what he said. 
For me, it's because I'll have my head turned doing #### on another screen whilst listening to my streamers of choice - I'm pretty good at picking out their voices if I hear them elsewhere.

I probably watch Ninja once a month. For someone that watches him a few times a week it would be hard not to recognize.

For me, it's because I'll have my head turned doing #### on another screen whilst listening to my streamers of choice - I'm pretty good at picking out their voices if I hear them elsewhere.

I probably watch Ninja once a month. For someone that watches him a few times a week it would be hard not to recognize.
Here’s the performance. 

https://youtu.be/lYvXOoiYbEo

It was funny. He walked in the room, listened for 5-10 seconds and just said matter of factly “That’s Ninja.” We sort of dismissed it, but when he finished and the judges started discussing the clues, all of them seemed to be spot on, and it began dawning on us that he had nailed it in a matter of seconds. As you said, probably an easy call for those familiar with him, but it was such a random guess without any context (son wasn’t even familiar with the show) that we had to pick our jaws up off the floor. 

Last edited by a moderator:
i’ll be honest here, if i repeatedly ran over ninja with my vehicle, went to court for several years defending myself in the matter, was tried convicted then overturned on appeal, then i ran him over again after becoming a free man, i still wouldn’t know who this guy is.

And herein why I hated this show. I get you are trying to drum up some intrigue, but the chances of an A-list celebrity being on this show are zero. I watched last year to humor my wife--it won't happen again. I set the DVR, she can watch this tripe on her own time. 
I'm waiting to see who this year brings out, because I've read that after the first season, they got so many requests to be on this show from "big name celebrities" that they filmed season 2 and 3 back to back.

My 7 year old and 5 year old have now begun watching the show with a notebook to write down the clues.  My 5 yo mainly mainly drew pictures of pandas and hearts but my 7 yo was getting down almost all of the clues.

My wife guessed the person who got kicked off and is now all cocky about how good she is at guessing the celebrities  :grad:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm waiting to see who this year brings out, because I've read that after the first season, they got so many requests to be on this show from "big name celebrities" that they filmed season 2 and 3 back to back.
This means they have a true ringer in the bunch. They needed to get them on film in case they bolted between seasons.

My 7 year old and 5 year old have now begun watching the show with a notebook to write down the clues.  My 5 yo mainly mainly drew pictures of pandas and hearts but my 7 yo was getting down almost all of the clues.

My wife guessed the person who got kicked off and is now all cocky about how good she is at guessing the celebrities  :grad:
My wife guessed it as well. So now both my wife and my kid have correct guesses, while I’m getting shut out. 

They said something like 47 combined Grammy's and some Tony's amongst the competitors.  I'm interested to see exactly who they are.  
they said that last year and while they did have actual singers who won or were nominated for a lot of those awards, they also counted the wins and nominations for Cheech & Chong albums (which I don't think are musical, although I've never listened to them).

Well a couple of big names this season mixed in with a couple of duds.  The one week they were like, "You won't believe who gets unmasked this week!"  Then it was Raven Simone.  Um, Ok.

But Patti LaBelle and Seal are pretty big names.  Patti knocked out before Ana Gasteyer had to sting a little for the Godmother of Soul. 

Well a couple of big names this season mixed in with a couple of duds.  The one week they were like, "You won't believe who gets unmasked this week!"  Then it was Raven Simone.  Um, Ok.

But Patti LaBelle and Seal are pretty big names.  Patti knocked out before Ana Gasteyer had to sting a little for the Godmother of Soul. 
The bigger names like Seal are the only ones I guess right, mainly because I barely know who the others are.

The bigger names like Seal are the only ones I guess right, mainly because I barely know who the others are.
I've come to realize I don't know anyone by their voice.  I've pretty much just resigned myself to going, "I think it's a white girl."  Or, "That sounds like a black guy."  And I'm proud when I'm right 25% of the time.

The fact that this show exists is bad enough but understandable.

The fact that it is popular really really bugs me.  Hard to put in words why it does, but it does.

My wife got us into this show halfway through S1 at our neighbors' suggestion.  I mocked how stupid it was and my wife said "You just don't want to watch because you're not going to know who anyone is."  I love games and competition, so when she said that challenge accepted.  We now watch with 2 other neighborhood families and make friendly wagers that involve drinks on who everyone is.  You get a bonus if you are the first one to guess a name that nobody else, including the judges, has guessed.  So far I've got 3 correct (T-Pain, Ninja, Kelly Osborne) that nobody else has guessed while the rest of the field has 3 combined (Raven Simone, Paul Schaffer, and Patti LaBelle).  I have no idea who anyone remaining is except the Fox, who I have been fairly confident is Wayne Brady from the first time I heard him.  The rest of my neighbors think it's Jamie Foxx

I'm not sure why people go out of their way to say how stupid they think this show is (not trying to pick on you supermike, but I've seen that kind of response online quite a bit). I mean sure, it's not high art. But is it really worse than housewives who scream at each other or dudes who outbid each other for storage lockers? I will admit that some of the judges can be annoying and some of the production choices don't always make sense, but the basic fun in this show is to just hear some people sing some songs and try to guess who they are. I don't think the show is supposed to be taken so seriously. Dickies has the right idea to just watch it with others and make it a little game for bragging rights. Out of all the shows my gf watches, this one is much easier to tolerate than others.

My wife got us into this show halfway through S1 at our neighbors' suggestion.  I mocked how stupid it was and my wife said "You just don't want to watch because you're not going to know who anyone is."  I love games and competition, so when she said that challenge accepted.  We now watch with 2 other neighborhood families and make friendly wagers that involve drinks on who everyone is.  You get a bonus if you are the first one to guess a name that nobody else, including the judges, has guessed.  So far I've got 3 correct (T-Pain, Ninja, Kelly Osborne) that nobody else has guessed while the rest of the field has 3 combined (Raven Simone, Paul Schaffer, and Patti LaBelle).  I have no idea who anyone remaining is except the Fox, who I have been fairly confident is Wayne Brady from the first time I heard him.  The rest of my neighbors think it's Jamie Foxx
I have to admit, I thought it was Jamie Foxx up until last night.  The song last night was clearly not Foxx.  I think Brady might be a good guess. 

The fact that this show exists is bad enough but understandable.

The fact that it is popular really really bugs me.  Hard to put in words why it does, but it does.
We celebrate the entire Kardashian oeuvre as a society. Getting to this point and dancing people you have to Google first, seems like a natural and unavoidable endgame. And harbingers of coming of the Apocalypse 

I'm not sure why people go out of their way to say how stupid they think this show is (not trying to pick on you supermike, but I've seen that kind of response online quite a bit). I mean sure, it's not high art. But is it really worse than housewives who scream at each other or dudes who outbid each other for storage lockers? I will admit that some of the judges can be annoying and some of the production choices don't always make sense, but the basic fun in this show is to just hear some people sing some songs and try to guess who they are. I don't think the show is supposed to be taken so seriously. Dickies has the right idea to just watch it with others and make it a little game for bragging rights. Out of all the shows my gf watches, this one is much easier to tolerate than others.
I did not say it's stupid.   Not at all.  

I did not say it's stupid.   Not at all.  
Fair enough, but it seemed implied. I'm fine with being wrong... But if so, then what is your reasoning for thinking its existence is a negative thing, and why does it being popular bother you?

To be fair I'll tell you why I think shows about teen moms and 40 day finances shouldn't exist nor be popular... they're stupid. Just my opinion, of course.

Fair enough, but it seemed implied. I'm fine with being wrong... But if so, then what is your reasoning for thinking its existence is a negative thing, and why does it being popular bother you?

To be fair I'll tell you why I think shows about teen moms and 40 day finances shouldn't exist nor be popular... they're stupid. Just my opinion, of course.
I also didn't say it necessarily was negative. I said it bugged me.. Why?  Well I said I'm not entirely sure, so I can't really articulate.  I hate american idol..I mean I absolutely despise it..and those shows mentioned before? Real Housewives?   Locker room stuff?  No thanks...  Maybe because I see these "singing" shows as ruining music?  I don't know.  But it bugs me, a whole lot.

NOW.....some would could and have said that sports are equal to these shows.  My wife has zero interest in sports and feels those who watch it are dumb dumbs.    

I also didn't say it necessarily was negative. I said it bugged me.. Why?  Well I said I'm not entirely sure, so I can't really articulate.  I hate american idol..I mean I absolutely despise it..and those shows mentioned before? Real Housewives?   Locker room stuff?  No thanks...  Maybe because I see these "singing" shows as ruining music?  I don't know.  But it bugs me, a whole lot.

NOW.....some would could and have said that sports are equal to these shows.  My wife has zero interest in sports and feels those who watch it are dumb dumbs.    
Ha! I suppose all of us dumb dumbs need some form of silly entertainment. I should just shut up about the shows I think are stupid and stop groaning every time I see my gf watching teen mom reunion #136.

This is just my 2nd time watching the show. There’s no chance they’re actually signing live, right? I mean, it’s pretty easy to lip sing when you have a mask on. 

This is just my 2nd time watching the show. There’s no chance they’re actually signing live, right? I mean, it’s pretty easy to lip sing when you have a mask on. 
Ok, after the winner just sang after the reveal, I take this back. 

In the first season, when they didn't have as good as singers on, they would blare the backing vocals or whatever it's called so that it would drown out the contestants voice.  You'd hear them a little, but that backing vocal track would nullify a lot of the imperfections.

This season, I haven't noticed it as much.  But I think that's because they have much better singers on.  There was one person, I forget who, who was voted out early that I could hear the vocals more than their voice.  Can't remember who it was, though.

I don’t watch the show, but I have been a fan of Wayne Brady from the beginnings of Whose Line is it Anyway, back in the 90s. Always thought he was a great singer, and being able to do it while making up lyrics was special. This was probably a great show for him, since people may think of him as a comic/host rather than a singer. 

I knew the dog was Daughtry the 3rd week. Such a distinct voice. The GF guessed Wayne Brady a week before Robin Thick did. Neither of us ever heard of the Flamingo chick.

I knew the dog was Daughtry the 3rd week. Such a distinct voice. The GF guessed Wayne Brady a week before Robin Thick did. Neither of us ever heard of the Flamingo chick.
No clue who she was.  I told my daughter it was a "Cheetah Girl" and she rolled her eyes and knew who it was immediately.  :shrug:

I did get the dog right as a white guy.  But I thought the flamingo was going to be a white country singer.  She sounded like she had a little bit of a country twang to her.  Alas, I was wrong.

The clue packages are junk. Most of the clues are so obscure, theres no way anyone is putting those together to figure out who they are. Daughtry brought a vacuum on stage as a clue, because he sold vacuums at one point on his life. How could anyone know that unless they were a superfan or something. Stupid.

The clue packages are junk. Most of the clues are so obscure, theres no way anyone is putting those together to figure out who they are. Daughtry brought a vacuum on stage as a clue, because he sold vacuums at one point on his life. How could anyone know that unless they were a superfan or something. Stupid.
The problem is they need them to be obscure.  The first season, they said they were too easy.  They don't want people to know until the reveal.  They want you to guess.  I would think that if you can guess who the star is, the producers aren't very happy.

Come on the producers definitely tell them who is in the costume.  No way they'd let them look like fools guessing wrong every time.  That said, I was pretty sure on Oladipo weeks ago but I had the Orlando clue, athlete, rehab, and good singer as clues.  

You didn't ask me, and I've probably already said this in here...but for me the heightened celebration of celebrity culture is a bad thing. 

Reality shows started out as interesting to me...variety of concepts that showed a slice of society we might not see. Get to learn about people and thought from different ethnic/regional/societies.

But that wasn't good enough for viewers, so we had to manufacture conflict to get them fighting and create good guys and bad guys. That's when it went South for me. That they're also doing life altering important things like having kids as teens or getting married to strangers as so called entertainment quite frankly disgusts me.

But now even that's not good enough...now we can only watch people we've watched before somewhere....doing stupid #### badly to marginally. This need and reliance on a recognizable brand or celebrity shows a collective lack and fear of original thought that scares me for the future of our society. That people like the Kardashians and housewives and somebody like Trump are celebrated genuinely feels like the coming of the Apocalypse to me.

I had a concentration in archaeology in college...I learned that the archaeological record always reflected the beginning of the decline and end of civilizations with a marked decline of their arts, crafts and architecture. To me, all of the shows is that decline- one that future historians will look to as the turning point for the US.

You didn't ask me, and I've probably already said this in here...but for me the heightened celebration of celebrity culture is a bad thing. 

Reality shows started out as interesting to me...variety of concepts that showed a slice of society we might not see. Get to learn about people and thought from different ethnic/regional/societies.

But that wasn't good enough for viewers, so we had to manufacture conflict to get them fighting and create good guys and bad guys. That's when it went South for me. That they're also doing life altering important things like having kids as teens or getting married to strangers as so called entertainment quite frankly disgusts me.

But now even that's not good enough...now we can only watch people we've watched before somewhere....doing stupid #### badly to marginally. This need and reliance on a recognizable brand or celebrity shows a collective lack and fear of original thought that scares me for the future of our society. That people like the Kardashians and housewives and somebody like Trump are celebrated genuinely feels like the coming of the Apocalypse to me.

I had a concentration in archaeology in college...I learned that the archaeological record always reflected the beginning of the decline and end of civilizations with a marked decline of their arts, crafts and architecture. To me, all of the shows is that decline- one that future historians will look to as the turning point for the US.
I'm always kind of surprised when I hear him referred to as a "reality star celebrity."  He was super famous way before he did The Apprentice.  (I almost didn't comment on this because I'm afraid it'll spiral out into a political argument, so hopefully the FFA can prove me wrong*.)

* HAHAHA.  Just kidding.  I know the FFA can't not get political.

I'm always kind of surprised when I hear him referred to as a "reality star celebrity."  He was super famous way before he did The Apprentice.  (I almost didn't comment on this because I'm afraid it'll spiral out into a political argument, so hopefully the FFA can prove me wrong*.)

* HAHAHA.  Just kidding.  I know the FFA can't not get political.
I can definitely see how you could read it that way, but I included him as part of the "heightened celebration of celebrity culture" more than as a reality TV star....even though he was that as well. Arnold too. People need a recognized brand to be comfortable and safe, even if that brand may just be built on a sex tape or somebodys highly publicized business dealings- good and terribly bad. That driving fear and desperate need for the recognizable is what I'm talking about.

So I caught the S3 premiere after the Super Bowl last weekend - had heard of it but never watched it before.  Went back on Hulu and skimmed through the first two seasons just to get a feel for what type of celebrities/singers they're pulling.  Definitely a show you should DVR, just watch the performances, then see the reveal.  An excruciating amount of time wasted in this show.   Rabbit sings, then they let each judge ramble on about some obscure reference they saw in the clues video and why they think this person is the 4th most popular Backstreet Boy.  Then they announce the Rabbit is in the bottom 2, so he sings again.  Then the judges ramble on again and guess the same as they did 5 minutes ago.  Then it's announced that the Rabbit is eliminated. BUT WAIT, before we take his mask off, let's go to the judges to see who they think it is.... 🙄

So I caught the S3 premiere after the Super Bowl last weekend - had heard of it but never watched it before.  Went back on Hulu and skimmed through the first two seasons just to get a feel for what type of celebrities/singers they're pulling.  Definitely a show you should DVR, just watch the performances, then see the reveal.  An excruciating amount of time wasted in this show.   Rabbit sings, then they let each judge ramble on about some obscure reference they saw in the clues video and why they think this person is the 4th most popular Backstreet Boy.  Then they announce the Rabbit is in the bottom 2, so he sings again.  Then the judges ramble on again and guess the same as they did 5 minutes ago.  Then it's announced that the Rabbit is eliminated. BUT WAIT, before we take his mask off, let's go to the judges to see who they think it is.... 🙄
if i killed ken jeong, somehow i’d go to prison.

Users who are viewing this thread