What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MasterChef (2 Viewers)

I like Ramsey's British shows. It's kind of sad that to be entertaining for a U.S. audience he has to be a #### all the time.
I was just saying that yesterday. I think it's telling the differences in the way the shows are handled. I learn a lot more from the British version of his shows, here it's mostly drama.
Right, here they are "reality" shows that happen to have food in them. In Britain they are food shows that also feature real people.

I like Ramsey's British shows. It's kind of sad that to be entertaining for a U.S. audience he has to be a #### all the time.
I was just saying that yesterday. I think it's telling the differences in the way the shows are handled. I learn a lot more from the British version of his shows, here it's mostly drama.
Right, here they are "reality" shows that happen to have food in them. In Britain they are food shows that also feature real people.
A good way to describe it.

Was anyone surprised Ben Starr was sent home over Adrien tonight? Adrien has always been my favorite so I really didn't want to see him leave, but the judges spent the most time criticizing his dish...and it appeared completely warranted. Maybe Ben's rendition wasn't as awful, but the fact he had more insider knowledge to bring to the table means he net blew it more than Adrien. Still, super close call...feel like the judges played a little subjective favoritism tonight.

Was anyone surprised Ben Starr was sent home over Adrien tonight? Adrien has always been my favorite so I really didn't want to see him leave, but the judges spent the most time criticizing his dish...and it appeared completely warranted. Maybe Ben's rendition wasn't as awful, but the fact he had more insider knowledge to bring to the table means he net blew it more than Adrien. Still, super close call...feel like the judges played a little subjective favoritism tonight.
I was. The only reasoning, like you said, was that Ben had the inside info and completely blew it. He didn't even come close with the knowledge he obtained. But I was thinking they would go with the better rounded cook and keep Ben. (just my opinion, I could be way wrong) I just feel like Adrian had destroyed more dishes than Ben did, and Ben had the more talent overall. While Adrian shows flashes, when he's bad he's REAL bad. A shame to see the two go that I wanted to win the show; Tracy and Ben. While I figured Tracy was a longshot, she had that girl-next-door thing going on and wanted to see her in the finals at least. But in reality she wasn't as good as who's left. (well maybe Adrian).And I've grown to hate whiny Suzy even more than the ######## Christian. I'm just sick of her incessant crying and the godawful faces she makes during the show. It's going to be her and the ##### in the finals, and I may smash my tv. But Christian better be careful, they're pretty sick of his attitude, and I think if they get a close enough call to send him home, they will be happy to oblige. I think he needs to be perfect to get into the final two.

"I love these masterchef pans...they are non-stick because they use Thermalon."

How many times must they say this? I swear it's at least once an episode.

ETA: Am I the only one that finds Suzy cute? I would do dirty things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a fan of Suzy's snarkiness toward other contestants. I wonder how much the producers coax that and Christian's arrogance though. What's ironic about her is that despite the valley girl mannerisms and way of speaking she has, she's pretty intelligent. I read her answers to questions on her bio, as well as everyone who made top 8 and she sounds the smartest. Suzy's bio

Another thing that gets me is that for the longest time when the guys would size up their biggest competition, Jennifer never factored in (most often, none of the women did). She's had one dramatically poor showing, a couple alright ones, and a lot of solid standouts. As of this last episode it was like the guys were finally starting to cotton on that she's a real contender.

And I've grown to hate whiny Suzy even more than the ######## Christian. I'm just sick of her incessant crying and the godawful faces she makes during the show. It's going to be her and the ##### in the finals, and I may smash my tv.

But Christian better be careful, they're pretty sick of his attitude, and I think if they get a close enough call to send him home, they will be happy to oblige. I think he needs to be perfect to get into the final two.
:D feel the same way. Though between the two of them, I'd be rooting for Christian.lolerskates - I know, I think it is once per episode. And always the heavy set judge right? It's a little shameless.

Gonna miss Ben though.... Guy had a passion to cook.... I think he lost this week because he didn't have his hat on...LOL...

Not really. Ben has been borderline on several challenges and with several dishes. I could Adrain in the final two I couldn't see Ben there. And to pile on Suzy I have grown to dislike her intensely, way more so than Christian. He seems ultra-competitive and semi-dooshy but he doesn't seem to get as personal as she does in his trash talk.

'lolerskates said:
"I love these masterchef pans...they are non-stick because they use Thermalon." How many times must they say this? I swear it's at least once an episode.ETA: Am I the only one that finds Suzy cute? I would do dirty things.
Even worse is the contestant's uncomfortable reaction to the shameless plugs... "um yea, they're uh, great... look, er, look how easy it is".She is and I would but I'd have to hit her with a right hook to shut her up and stop any ugly expressions that will immediately "deflate" things.

'NCCommish said:
And to pile on Suzy I have grown to dislike her intensely, way more so than Christian. He seems ultra-competitive and semi-dooshy but he doesn't seem to get as personal as she does in his trash talk.
Not only that, but she's completely oblivious to the fact that she has no business in the Top 4. How many team challenges in a row did she solely lose for her team, then blame it on someone else, then luck out on the Pressure Test because someone made a dish that was worse than hers? She really needs to go.Even though I felt like she didn't deserve to originally make the show (seemed like the fat guy gave her a pity spot), Jennifer has really come on and impressed and shown that she is a really good cook. Now that Ben and Tracey are gone, I hope that she wins it.

'NCCommish said:
And to pile on Suzy I have grown to dislike her intensely, way more so than Christian. He seems ultra-competitive and semi-dooshy but he doesn't seem to get as personal as she does in his trash talk.
Not only that, but she's completely oblivious to the fact that she has no business in the Top 4. How many team challenges in a row did she solely lose for her team, then blame it on someone else, then luck out on the Pressure Test because someone made a dish that was worse than hers? She really needs to go.Even though I felt like she didn't deserve to originally make the show (seemed like the fat guy gave her a pity spot), Jennifer has really come on and impressed and shown that she is a really good cook. Now that Ben and Tracey are gone, I hope that she wins it.
I could see her in the top two for sure. I would like to see her and Adrian get there.

I could see her in the top two for sure. I would like to see her and Adrian get there.
:thumbup: As far as Ben being a weaker contestant in the long run than Adrien, I could see that. I've always figured the judges eliminate solely based on how well the contestant did the task at hand though.

Not really. Ben has been borderline on several challenges and with several dishes. I could Adrain in the final two I couldn't see Ben there. And to pile on Suzy I have grown to dislike her intensely, way more so than Christian. He seems ultra-competitive and semi-dooshy but he doesn't seem to get as personal as she does in his trash talk.
At least Christian is up front about his douchebaggery. Suzy makes faces like she's taking a bad crap when they don't pick her dish or they say something nice about somebody she doesn't like.

Even though I've disliked Suzy, even preferring Christian over her, she really grew on me as she was leaving tonight.

Looks like Christian was kept around for controversy and ratings....pitiful.
Before the judges announced who was being sent home, one of them remarked that Suzy's pie tasted better than it looked, and Christian's looked better than it tasted. For a little while I was thinking that Suzy would win the challenge based on that note. But then I realized that didn't necessarily have to mean that hers tasted better than Christian's.For most of this show it has truly seemed like the judges have eliminated contestants based on their performances. I do think they've shown high appreciation of contestants doing well, even if not outstanding, in an area they're not familiar with though...especially if it's their very first time with that dish. I think that may have been what worked in Christian's favor. Both pies weren't perfect, his looked good, it tasted decent. The desert aficionado's didn't look best, was short on meringue and should have been baked a little longer. Seems fair.

At least Christian is up front about his douchebaggery. Suzy makes faces like she's taking a bad crap when they don't pick her dish or they say something nice about somebody she doesn't like.
I couldn't believe the other woman was rooting for her. I bet her tune would've been different is she knew Suzy said she was only there on her looks. Suzy is the office snitch/backstabber bet on it.

Even though I've disliked Suzy, even preferring Christian over her, she really grew on me as she was leaving tonight.

Looks like Christian was kept around for controversy and ratings....pitiful.
Before the judges announced who was being sent home, one of them remarked that Suzy's pie tasted better than it looked, and Christian's looked better than it tasted. For a little while I was thinking that Suzy would win the challenge based on that note. But then I realized that didn't necessarily have to mean that hers tasted better than Christian's.For most of this show it has truly seemed like the judges have eliminated contestants based on their performances. I do think they've shown high appreciation of contestants doing well, even if not outstanding, in an area they're not familiar with though...especially if it's their very first time with that dish. I think that may have been what worked in Christian's favor. Both pies weren't perfect, his looked good, it tasted decent. The desert aficionado's didn't look best, was short on meringue and should have been baked a little longer. Seems fair.
She continued to earn my scorn to the bitter end. So hypocritical. Talking about Christian's ego and how he acts? Pot meet kettle.

I couldn't believe the other woman was rooting for her. I bet her tune would've been different is she knew Suzy said she was only there on her looks. Suzy is the office snitch/backstabber bet on it.
True, except for the fact that she quit her job, and doesn't have an office to go to. The look on her face when they told her that she was going home was perfect. There was a moment when it appeared that it just didn't register, at all. It was priceless. Having said that, she took it much better than I thought she would, and actually seemed somewhat gracious.

She continued to earn my scorn to the bitter end. So hypocritical. Talking about Christian's ego and how he acts? Pot meet kettle.
:DShe did say something as to why she wouldn't go home (going into the pressure test) 'because I don't have Christian's ego and I'm a lot better cook.' :doh:

Not upset that Jennifer won but I wanted to see Adrien go all the way. He's a 28-year-old server...he could definitely use the money and boost from the title. I like the energizing flair he brings to his cooking and his quiet intensity. But he should be able to build a career as a chef off this so all is not lost.

Still don't get why the guys, especially Adrien and Christian took forever to factor Jennifer in as real competition. It's not like she was steadily mediocre for a while and then suddenly good.

Not upset that Jennifer won but I wanted to see Adrien go all the way. He's a 28-year-old server...he could definitely use the money and boost from the title. I like the energizing flair he brings to his cooking and his quiet intensity. But he should be able to build a career as a chef off this so all is not lost.Still don't get why the guys, especially Adrien and Christian took forever to factor Jennifer in as real competition. It's not like she was steadily mediocre for a while and then suddenly good.
I think Adrian took her more seriously than the other competitors. I think everyone really underestimated and somewhat disrespected her to a degree. Reverse Ms America discrimination maybe?I was rooting for Adrian as well but I have no problem with her winning. If he had a respectable chocolate dessert I think he would have breezed in.

A little off topic but Fox has themselves a winning team here. Hells Kitchen and Master Chef have been winning their time slot for the network. Seems assured will get at least another season of both.

First season I've watched either show. Hell's Kitchen would be awesome if I had never seen Master Chef. But having seen them both this season, much, much prefer Master Chef. Great program, really.

Well, I was wrong about it being Ben, but I still think my theory of them going with the most marketable one was correct. I think it came down to which one would be easier to market, the former beauty queen, or the quiet Hispanic guy. Easy choice.

To prove this, go back to right before the last commercial. Gordon said "It basically comes down to one dish", to which Joe agreed. While there were good things about components from each, the only dish that got raved about was Adrian's entree. They talked about the perfect sear on Jennifer's scallops, and the cook on the quail, but each dish had it's own problems. The only one they could have been talking about was Adrian's entree. Gordon said it was so good that he wanted to cry. Then, lo and behold, they give it to Jennifer. My wife was pissed. I had already told her it was going to happen, and won a bet because of it.

Well, I was wrong about it being Ben, but I still think my theory of them going with the most marketable one was correct. I think it came down to which one would be easier to market, the former beauty queen, or the quiet Hispanic guy. Easy choice. To prove this, go back to right before the last commercial. Gordon said "It basically comes down to one dish", to which Joe agreed. While there were good things about components from each, the only dish that got raved about was Adrian's entree. They talked about the perfect sear on Jennifer's scallops, and the cook on the quail, but each dish had it's own problems. The only one they could have been talking about was Adrian's entree. Gordon said it was so good that he wanted to cry. Then, lo and behold, they give it to Jennifer. My wife was pissed. I had already told her it was going to happen, and won a bet because of it.
See, I thought when they made the "It basically comes down to one dish" comment that they were talking about the entree, but for Jennifer. She showed technique with hers, where as the pressure cooker did the "work" for him. Granted, his flavor was better (it sounded like), but I think she wow'ed them with he execution of the quail.

Well, I was wrong about it being Ben, but I still think my theory of them going with the most marketable one was correct. I think it came down to which one would be easier to market, the former beauty queen, or the quiet Hispanic guy. Easy choice. To prove this, go back to right before the last commercial. Gordon said "It basically comes down to one dish", to which Joe agreed. While there were good things about components from each, the only dish that got raved about was Adrian's entree. They talked about the perfect sear on Jennifer's scallops, and the cook on the quail, but each dish had it's own problems. The only one they could have been talking about was Adrian's entree. Gordon said it was so good that he wanted to cry. Then, lo and behold, they give it to Jennifer. My wife was pissed. I had already told her it was going to happen, and won a bet because of it.
See, I thought when they made the "It basically comes down to one dish" comment that they were talking about the entree, but for Jennifer. She showed technique with hers, where as the pressure cooker did the "work" for him. Granted, his flavor was better (it sounded like), but I think she wow'ed them with he execution of the quail.
But they said his would be a signature dish in any restaurant. I don't think they cared it was pressure cooked.

I thought the "pressure cooker did all the work" comment she made was really petty and dumb, because didn't the oven do all the work for her dish?

I thought the "pressure cooker did all the work" comment she made was really petty and dumb, because didn't the oven do all the work for her dish?
I wasn't talking about the comment she made, one of the judges said it as well.And no, the oven didn't do it all for her. She did something with them in a pan first, then finished in the oven. Not sure if that is called braising or something else.

I wasn't talking about the comment she made, one of the judges said it as well.And no, the oven didn't do it all for her. She did something with them in a pan first, then finished in the oven. Not sure if that is called braising or something else.
They questioned it when they were cooking but had nothing but praise for the dish itself.

They questioned it when they were cooking but had nothing but praise for the dish itself.
During judging, after Adrian and Jen left to get their desserts, Ramsay specifically said that the pressure cooker did the work, and Joe agreed.

During judging, after Adrian and Jen left to get their desserts, Ramsay specifically said that the pressure cooker did the work, and Joe agreed.
He also said it was so good that he wanted to cry.

Thanks. Was beginning to wonder if I had remembered it wrong.

True, except for the fact that she quit her job, and doesn't have an office to go to. The look on her face when they told her that she was going home was perfect. There was a moment when it appeared that it just didn't register, at all. It was priceless. Having said that, she took it much better than I thought she would, and actually seemed somewhat gracious.
Until the next episode when she said Jennifer took her spot. :lmao:

When did Suzy get eliminated? Last episode I saw Ben was eliminated but I thought she was still in?

Someone mentioned up thread that Jeniffer wouldn't have been rooting for Suzy in the pressure test with Christian if she had known about Suzy's remarks against her. Good call. She mentioned that in an interview, and called Suzy out on it over FB (the contestants have public pages for their fans).

Christian made some truly impressive dishes...no doubt, but I don't understand the people who think it's obvious that he was the best all around. He had some flops too, made a costly technical error during a challenge, and what he did with the veal in the second to last challenge he faced was :yawn: , especially given the stage the contest was in at that point. It makes me wonder if hearing him mention how he's the best over and over, and seemingly believing it himself, had a subconscious persuasive effect on some viewers.

When I break it all down (what I can still remember at least), it definitely seems possible that Jeniffer was objectively the winner to the judges. It was really close though.

Adrien's appetizer wasn't quite as well received as hers. Both their entrees received glowing praise. Her dessert struck them as boring and too light, his tort was too dry. Boring and light but technically on mark for intent > dry chocolate torte. Chocolate tortes should never be dry.

Personally I think Adrien should have (if he didn't in the judges' minds) received points above her for overall creativity.

Users who are viewing this thread