What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McDonald's year over year sales were terrible. How would you fix (2 Viewers)

Put me in the group that thinks it's gotten way too expensive. Driving long distance the other day and stopped at a McD for breakfast. Over 5 bucks for an egg mcmuffin, small orange juice and a hash brown.

Put me in the group that thinks it's gotten way too expensive. Driving long distance the other day and stopped at a McD for breakfast. Over 5 bucks for an egg mcmuffin, small orange juice and a hash brown.
Had to pick up my niece and nephew today at school and they know I always like to get them junk food when I give them rides. (they are not obese) 10 piece nugget and a medium vanilla shake was 7.29. I don't mind spending it but for crappy food the place has gotten overpriced.

Can't eat it without hitting the toilet 30 minutes later. All the better burger joints are killing McDonald's. Even Burger King seems like a gourmet burger in comparison.

Two biggest points of product business:

1. Know your core competency(ies)

2. Listen to your market

The whole industry appears to be eschewing the first for a perception of the second. Is fast food expected to be healthy? Are people that are going to McDonalds expecting a salad? How much of the business that would come for healthy food is buying healthy food?

I think it's a mix of some of what others have said: Healthy options at the appropriate price but also with the appropriate product breadth for the industry you're in.

So McDonald's announced their move to fix this:

1. Eliminate Big Mac

2. Eliminate Apple Pie

3. Eliminate Large Size

McDonald's is missing the boat complete.......start shorting the stock.
None of this appears to be true. Takes like 2 seconds to debunk that.

http://blogs.wsj.com/cmo/2014/12/23/nope-mcdonalds-isnt-getting-rid-of-the-big-mac/
You mean you have to double-check stuff posted on facebook.....what the heck is the world coming too.... :rant:
They should still get rid of it. It's pretty much a worthless burger with no purpose in today's market. Tiny little patties and it's not cheap. I'm not sure what the point of it is.

Now, that Double Quarter Pounder/Big Mac hybrid sounds like a winner though.
Other than the fact that it's the best FF burger ever. If there's no place for the Big Mac there's no place for FF.
:lmao:

1. Eliminate Big Mac

2. Eliminate Apple Pie

3. Eliminate Large Size

http://blogs.wsj.com/cmo/2014/12/23/nope-mcdonalds-isnt-getting-rid-of-the-big-mac/
You mean you have to double-check stuff posted on facebook.....what the heck is the world coming too.... :rant:
They should still get rid of it. It's pretty much a worthless burger with no purpose in today's market. Tiny little patties and it's not cheap. I'm not sure what the point of it is.

Other than the fact that it's the best FF burger ever. If there's no place for the Big Mac there's no place for FF.
meh. Big Mac USED to be considered big ...in the ####### 60s!!!

Now its just a $1.19 McDouble without the extra bun and "special" ketchup/mayo/pickle juice sauce and lettuce - all fluff. I hate 1000 Island dressing - and that sauce is worse.

1. Eliminate Big Mac

2. Eliminate Apple Pie

3. Eliminate Large Size

meh. Big Mac USED to be considered big ...in the ####### 60s!!!

Now its just a $1.19 McDouble without the extra bun and "special" ketchup/mayo/pickle juice sauce and lettuce - all fluff. I hate 1000 Island dressing - and that sauce is worse.

I don't understand all of the bagging on the Big Mac. Yeah McD sucks, but the Mac indeed does not.

They are just so bad. Other than good french fries I don't know one redeeming quality of McD's. I really don't think it's fixable. Everything is so processed, and you can taste it. You'd have to tear the business down to the studs, and that's not possible. They'll become less and less relevant.

Replace some items on the menu with

bean burger

sweet potato fries

some type of quinoa salad

Without injecting any more calories or fat

Part of their issue is the lousy service everyone expects when they set foot in a McDonalds. Between poorly prepared food, mistakes in the drive through, and just horrible counter service, it's a chore to even go there. Contrast this with the consistently great food and service you get at a place like Chik Fil A and it's a no brainer where to go.

I would slim down their menu and improve their service. Then compete on price since quality would require too big of a culture change.

Their biscuit could be more consistent. It sometimes feigns fluffiness, sometimes crumbles in your mouth.

I wouldn't mind hearing "we're just waiting on fries" a little more often. Make that happen somehow.

The people singing the virtues of the Big Mac are insane. It's one of the most disgusting fast food sandwiches that have ever existed.

Haven't had a Big Mac in probably 20 years. No idea how they taste anymore. McDonald's would never abandon it, though. It's their signature sandwich. Burger King has a clone of the damn thing on their menu. What would that guy do who has eaten two of these a day for decades? He'd shrivel up and die. They don't need that kind of blood on their hands.

The new McDonald's commercial with all of the "loving" going on... did they have to pay lots of money to use the "likeness" of those characters or are drawings "fair use"?

Perhaps a Ronald MCDonald sex tape with the Wendy's girl would really shake up the fast food industry...just thinking outside the box.

Haven't had a Big Mac in probably 20 years. No idea how they taste anymore. McDonald's would never abandon it, though. It's their signature sandwich. Burger King has a clone of the damn thing on their menu. What would that guy do who has eaten two of these a day for decades? He'd shrivel up and die. They don't need that kind of blood on their hands.
Big Mac doesn't taste bad, but the bread/meat ratio is just terrible.

I think it's simple. McDonald's has tried too hard to sell the "healthy" side of their menu. From changing the fries from animal fat to whatever the crap it is now, to the nasty whole wheat buns they use on some sandwiches....

I'd take the Hardees/Carls Jr approach: Embrace the fact that you sell food that isn't good for you. Bring back the fries that everyone and their brother loved.

Bigger, better, fattier...that's how they should go.
No Retreat! No Surrender!

Big Mac doesn't taste bad, but the bread/meat ratio is just terrible.
Exactly. I hear you can get a $1.19 McDouble "dressed like a big Mac" anyway. I am not a fan of the sauce so that is a no go for me.

Can't eat it without hitting the toilet 30 minutes later. All the better burger joints are killing McDonald's. Even Burger King seems like a gourmet burger in comparison.
They are pathetic. Talk about the lowest quality.

I used to love BK Lounge when I was young and before they microwaved everything. It was a real flame broiled burger in the 70's and the Whopper tastes nothing like it did back then.

Couple that we possibly the very worst service and staff in fast food and you have a company that is pure garbage.

More like QP with cheese tastes like gourmet compared to the absolute crap fest that is BK. I have not eaten in a BK in probably 5-6 years now. And never will again.

BK

Taco Bell (been 10 years now since I ate there)

Are on my never ever again list.

Part of their issue is the lousy service everyone expects when they set foot in a McDonalds. Between poorly prepared food, mistakes in the drive through, and just horrible counter service, it's a chore to even go there. Contrast this with the consistently great food and service you get at a place like Chik Fil A and it's a no brainer where to go.

I would slim down their menu and improve their service. Then compete on price since quality would require too big of a culture change.
+1Chick Fil A is an example of a great fast food joint. Now my local McDonalds actually has good service (most of the time) so much so when I noticed a drop in their service I called the manager to let him know to tighten the ship as they are slipping.

But the service at Chick Fil A is second to none in the fast food arena. And the food is damn good (for fast food chicken).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand all of the bagging on the Big Mac. Yeah McD sucks, but the Mac indeed does not.
It doesn't suck, but it's a glorified double cheeseburger.

Lower the price or use bigger patties.

Don't ####### charge me 4 bucks for a sandwich that is normally $1.19. You're telling me an extra piece of bread, and some lettuce and sauce is $3 worth of add-ons?

I've always wanted to try ordering: "McDouble, no ketchup or mustard, add lettuce and Big Mac sauce".

I'd wager they'd charge .50 cents for the mac sauce and I'd have a Big Mac for half price.

It is a brand on the decline and tons of new additional competition. McD's is in trouble, I don't think it has the same "I want MCDONALDS" impact on young kids like it did when most of us were growing up.

+1

Chick Fil A is an example of a great fast food joint. Now my local McDonalds actually has good service (most of the time) so much so when I noticed a drop in their derive I called the manager to let him know to tighten the ship as they are slipping.

But the service at Chick Fil A is second to none in the fast food arena. And the food is damn good (for fast food chicken).
2nd the CFA stuff. I don't think I've been to a CFA that has had poor service and is dirty. Seems like every other McD's is either dirty or has crappy service.

It is a brand on the decline and tons of new additional competition. McD's is in trouble, I don't think it has the same "I want MCDONALDS" impact on young kids like it did when most of us were growing up.
I think it's because people go there too often now.

I know as a kid, it was a treat to go to McD's and get a Happy Meal. Now, that's all people eat. And now with other options and people wanting to eat healthy, it's not really a "treat" anymore.

+1

Chick Fil A is an example of a great fast food joint. Now my local McDonalds actually has good service (most of the time) so much so when I noticed a drop in their derive I called the manager to let him know to tighten the ship as they are slipping.

2nd the CFA stuff. I don't think I've been to a CFA that has had poor service and is dirty. Seems like every other McD's is either dirty or has crappy service.
I have heard (could be wrong though) that CFA requires that the franchise must have the owner work there and you can't own more than one franchise....would make a huge difference if true.

Cost....

they have jumped on board and taken advantage of our stupidity after looking at how much we will pay for a cup of coffee with some fluff at Starbucks, etc....I was in the other day (we usually only really do breakfast there).....and the price of the Sausage Biscuit went from 1.00 to 1.19 (jesus just make it 1.20 for god's sake)....anyway.....just like Subway has done, they think that over time we forgive and forget when they raise prices.....remember the "$5 Footlong"....well good luck with that.....your lucky to get their ####ty meatball or cold cut sandwich for $6 anymore....let alone a "premium" sandwich....anywho....the .20 cents made no difference to me but it was the principal of the thing, so when I got up to the window I asked the lady "why the price increase for the sausage biscuit and sausage mcmuffin, why does it cost 20 cents more now to make/serve?".....he answer...."not sure, but NOW! for $2 you can get the biscuit/small coffee combo"....like this was some deal to me knowing that the small cup of coffee they are charging me .80 cents for really costs them about maybe .05 cents or less......again taking advantage of our stupidity......this led to another conversation about no longer getting "any size" coffee for a $1.....and how that factors in if I want a large coffee with my "combo" should I order one.....what does my $2 combo now cost me, that just a week ago I could have actually got for $2 (biscuit/large coffee).....anyway....I soon realized I was talking to someone who was going to give me scripted answers, so I gave up the fight and trying to prove a point....

but seriously....they have jacked the price up on what used to be dollar menu staples.....double cheese...used to be on dollar menu...now over $1.50 IIRC......they replaced that for awhile with the McDouble for $1 (cool, one less piece of cheese I didn't really need anyway, pretty solid deal for a buck)....now you can't get the McDouble for $1....and thats when they switched there mojo to all these $2 burgers with some toppings....

anyway.....why does it cost more for these staples (sausage bscuit) all of a sudden?.....why a 20 cent jump.....gas prices, etc are going down right?

the "value" meal combos are a joke.....there is no value....can't remember the last time I ordered one.....I love a Quarter Pounder, but not that much.....I settle for my McDouble......I also used to like the Fish Filets.....but seriously for that tiny piece of fish, does it really cost that much for a fish combo....?

dollar values have now become $1.20 values....and mostly out of principal and the fact that the food isn't that good to begin with, we don't really frequent except for breakfast, which is still a decent deal if you don't do the "value combos".....and god forbid, don't upgrade to an orange juice instead of the coffee or soda....

prefer BK burgers.....but will usually hit up Wendy's for decent value and variety (baked potato, etc)

I will admit service (time) is probably best in the business.....will still hit em up for quick breakfast sandwich/hash brown

eta: oh and the fact the "healthy" sandwiches like the "egg white delight" cost so much more is a joke......I can see them costing a little more, but come on.....I guess if you want to eat healthier you have to pay for it......

For me, its two things...cost and service.

The service has gotten worse. They take your order then someone else (in the back) brings it out to you...what ever happened to the server getting you the food/drinks ? This seemed to be much more efficient. Now the model seems to be, serve as many as possible and have them stand around and wait for their order.

Cost. They are no longer the only game in town when it comes to fast food. Outside of the usual suspects (BK, Wendy's etc...), a whole raft of other places have popped up and are cutting into McDonalds' action. In Toronto, when a Big Mac combo is over $8, you have a problem. I can go to a local neighbourhood burger place and get a far superior burger and decent fries for the cost a Big Mac combo.

Stinkin Ref said:
anyway....I soon realized I was talking to someone who was going to give me scripted answers, so I gave up the fight and trying to prove a point....
Ummm dude, I was thinking this well before you got here.

You are discussing a price hike from a mega worldwide corporation with someone working the counter at McDonalds. You prob ruined this poor schleps day.

Stinkin Ref said:
Cost....

they have jumped on board and taken advantage of our stupidity after looking at how much we will pay for a cup of coffee with some fluff at Starbucks, etc....I was in the other day (we usually only really do breakfast there).....and the price of the Sausage Biscuit went from 1.00 to 1.19 (jesus just make it 1.20 for god's sake)....anyway.....just like Subway has done, they think that over time we forgive and forget when they raise prices.....remember the "$5 Footlong"....well good luck with that.....your lucky to get their ####ty meatball or cold cut sandwich for $6 anymore....let alone a "premium" sandwich....anywho....the .20 cents made no difference to me but it was the principal of the thing, so when I got up to the window I asked the lady "why the price increase for the sausage biscuit and sausage mcmuffin, why does it cost 20 cents more now to make/serve?".....he answer...."not sure, but NOW! for $2 you can get the biscuit/small coffee combo"....like this was some deal to me knowing that the small cup of coffee they are charging me .80 cents for really costs them about maybe .05 cents or less......again taking advantage of our stupidity......this led to another conversation about no longer getting "any size" coffee for a $1.....and how that factors in if I want a large coffee with my "combo" should I order one.....what does my $2 combo now cost me, that just a week ago I could have actually got for $2 (biscuit/large coffee).....anyway....I soon realized I was talking to someone who was going to give me scripted answers, so I gave up the fight and trying to prove a point....

but seriously....they have jacked the price up on what used to be dollar menu staples.....double cheese...used to be on dollar menu...now over $1.50 IIRC......they replaced that for awhile with the McDouble for $1 (cool, one less piece of cheese I didn't really need anyway, pretty solid deal for a buck)....now you can't get the McDouble for $1....and thats when they switched there mojo to all these $2 burgers with some toppings....

anyway.....why does it cost more for these staples (sausage bscuit) all of a sudden?.....why a 20 cent jump.....gas prices, etc are going down right?

the "value" meal combos are a joke.....there is no value....can't remember the last time I ordered one.....I love a Quarter Pounder, but not that much.....I settle for my McDouble......I also used to like the Fish Filets.....but seriously for that tiny piece of fish, does it really cost that much for a fish combo....?

dollar values have now become $1.20 values....and mostly out of principal and the fact that the food isn't that good to begin with, we don't really frequent except for breakfast, which is still a decent deal if you don't do the "value combos".....and god forbid, don't upgrade to an orange juice instead of the coffee or soda....

prefer BK burgers.....but will usually hit up Wendy's for decent value and variety (baked potato, etc)

I will admit service (time) is probably best in the business.....will still hit em up for quick breakfast sandwich/hash brown

eta: oh and the fact the "healthy" sandwiches like the "egg white delight" cost so much more is a joke......I can see them costing a little more, but come on.....I guess if you want to eat healthier you have to pay for it......
I knew a store manager 6 years ago that told me that a dollar cheeseburger had a cost of .82 cents. (That was when it was the double cheeseburger, which has 2 pieces of cheese)

McDonald's has never made a large profit on sandwiches. It's all a gimmick to sell soft drinks and fries, that's what makes them money. When you factor in the rising cost of beef, raising prices wasn't that shocking. Been to the grocery store lately?

There is one thing they should do, but it would be politically incorrect.

Make it a corporate policy to hire hotties for their drive-thru window. When I worked there as a youngster, I had a boss who always hired pretty girls for breakfast, and he always put them in the back drive-thru. He told me that when he hires a really pretty girl and puts her there, within a few weeks the drive-thru morning rush is packed with men coming by to say hi and order a coke or something.

Just hit up the McDs by the Empire State Building.

They've got self ordering kiosks in. Not sure if that's in anticipation of minimum wage going up or because they do a ton of business from tourists, but it's a welcome change. When I want to pay $7 to hate myself 30 minutes later, I want to interact with as few people as possible.

Their food is better than most because they have such a high turnover nothing sits for very long.

Users who are viewing this thread