What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McGahee (1 Viewer)

JSH21

Footballguy
I love his matchup this week, but am scared of him dressing again just to watch Rice and the other turd do all the work. Any new info on him for this week?

My other option to go with is the board favorite Chris Johnson. Should I just not worry about McGahee this week and let Chris Johnson tear up Cinci for me?

*Sorry, really didn't mean to make this into a WDIS...mainly just looking for opinions on McGahee. But feel free to answer the other question for me. :no:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love his matchup this week, but am scared of him dressing again just to watch Rice and the other turd do all the work. Any new info on him for this week?My other option to go with is the board favorite Chris Johnson. Should I just not worry about McGahee this week and let Chris Johnson tear up Cinci for me?
Wrong forum. But keep McGahee benched and start Johnson.

If you want to use McGahee, go ahead and plan on sweating it out right up until kickoff to see if he starts/plays/is inactive.

I'd like to see him get a few days' worth of work in this week before I thought of using him.

Tigerbot Hesh said:
If you want to use McGahee, go ahead and plan on sweating it out right up until kickoff to see if he starts/plays/is inactive.I'd like to see him get a few days' worth of work in this week before I thought of using him.
I threw him in right before kickoff and took out Johnson last week. Ended up costing me my game. Won't make the same mistake unless I hear he's 100% and ready to carry the load.

He's listed as probable for this week and I think he's gonna go. I didn't start him last week but will this week against Houston.

They need to get a sense of what he looks like in a game and how the injury reacts. Houston is the perfect opportunity for that. I don't expect him to play much (maybe 10 carries), but what he does get from those 10 carries will possibly be better than my other options. I will monitor the situation throughout the week and put him in accordingly.

FWIW- sounds like Harbaugh wants him out there. "He needs to be ready to go, and I'm confident he'll be ready to go this week," Harbaugh said of McGahee. "... If he can do the job, he'll be out there."

As of today.

Jamison Hensley, of The Baltimore Sun, reports Baltimore Ravens RB Willis McGahee (knee) fully participated in practice Wednesday, Sept. 10. He is expected to start Week 2 but could have his carries reduced.

My take is he'll probably split carries 60/40 unless he has a setback later in the week. Against Houston a 60/40 split (15 carries) could be too good to sit.

I dont like his situation enough right now to start him until I see something

Im starting TJones and then Bush in the flex and its really not even a question as of now

As of today.Jamison Hensley, of The Baltimore Sun, reports Baltimore Ravens RB Willis McGahee (knee) fully participated in practice Wednesday, Sept. 10. He is expected to start Week 2 but could have his carries reduced. My take is he'll probably split carries 60/40 unless he has a setback later in the week. Against Houston a 60/40 split (15 carries) could be too good to sit.
Hmmmm.......very intresting. Thanks for the news

Don't know why the Ravens would take a chance by starting McGahee against Houston. Not when the Rice/McLain (sp?) combo worked so well against the Crimingals.

Let him rest another week coach!

I want a Willis who is 100% healthy and ready against the Browns.

JSH21 said:
I love his matchup this week, but am scared of him dressing again just to watch Rice and the other turd do all the work. Any new info on him for this week?My other option to go with is the board favorite Chris Johnson. Should I just not worry about McGahee this week and let Chris Johnson tear up Cinci for me?*Sorry, really didn't mean to make this into a WDIS...mainly just looking for opinions on McGahee. But feel free to answer the other question for me. :shock:
You will not even be asking this question in a week. Chris Johnson is a STUD, and will make this a no contest by week 4 or 5. he already started last week over Lendale, which most people were surprised about. He will break a 50+ yarder in the next 2 weeks.

I'm thinking they start out with McGahee for a drive or two, give him about 10 carries, then sit him for Rice/McClain. That gives McGahee some playing time to see how his knee holds up before the Cleveland game in Week 3.

I'm sitting him in favour of R Bush (vs. Wash), C Johnson (vs. Cinn), and J Jones (vs SF). My hope is that he plays well enough this week and doesn't have a setback that will mean he will handle a full load starting week 3.

Anyone got any info on this because I'm confused. Rotoworld has reported two days in a row that he is limited in practice. The Carroll County times the last two days has reported that he practiced fully. I tend to believe the Carroll County Times, escpecially since Rotoworld does not quote a source, but would appreciate any info.

Bump for latest news...

I'm thinking about buying Low on the guy.
This writer seems to think the Ravens may go to a RBBC.Link

In the Ravens' new running scheme, the joke could end up being on Willis McGahee.

Criticized for not showing enough commitment to the Ravens, McGahee might have to learn about the concept of "team" the hard way - as in, a running-back-by-committee situation.

From all indications, it seems as if McGahee, the Ravens' featured back last season, will have to split time with two upstarts, Ray Rice and Le'Ron McClain.

If you have solid alternatives (like C. Johnson), I'd give it another week.

McGahee was supposed to play last week and didn't. I expect he will play this week, but why would you take a guy who's still getting back into game shape and give him 25 touches? The above article about a permanent RBBC is speculation, but I see no reason why they wouldn't use a RBBC this week.

When McGahee is healthy it will probably be a 70/30 split, until then who knows. I expect McGahee to play this Monday b/c it is a Monday night game against a weak Houston D. This is an opportunity to show everyone how quick he can recover.

As for these Baltimore Sun sports writers, these guys are biased and most are hacks. They seem to have taken the stance that McGahee is bad for the Ravens and are the ones who do most of the talking concerning him being pushed out of town. No one close to the orginazation has said that McGahees attitude has hurt the team. It's always these writers who have opinions on athletes and they try and push their opinions off as facts. Don't take anything that you read from Preston and Hensley as facts, they seem to have a grudge against McGahee and usually get things totally wrong.

Bump for latest news...

In the Ravens' new running scheme, the joke could end up being on Willis McGahee.

Criticized for not showing enough commitment to the Ravens, McGahee might have to learn about the concept of "team" the hard way - as in, a running-back-by-committee situation.

From all indications, it seems as if McGahee, the Ravens' featured back last season, will have to split time with two upstarts, Ray Rice and Le'Ron McClain.
For THIS week if you read on in the article.

Bump for latest news...

For THIS week if you read on in the article.
Maybe, but these are the excerpts I found interesting:
The Ravens have gone out of their way to embrace McGahee. The coaching staff has repeatedly talked about how McGahee is a "special back" and how he could see increased touches as an every-down back.

McGahee reciprocated by falling into the same bad habits that forced him out of Buffalo.
He was the only offensive starter not to show for a majority of the voluntary minicamps this offseason. He reported to training camp in not-so-stellar shape. And he was one of the last to arrive to the first practice of training camp.
In the short term, it's not about earning more money. It's about earning more playing time.

"If we have a group of guys that we know that can help us win," Cameron said, "we'll play them all."
Sun writers' bias aside, it sounds like Rice and McClain could see a share of carries.

I still believe McGahee is the most talented back on the roster. Rice doesn't look NFL ready and while McClain had a decent game, it was still against Houston.

Cameron pulled this same thing last season with Ronnie Brown and Jesse Chatman. IMO once McGahee shows he is the best back, he should see 70%+ of the carries.

The only thing you have to look at is the RAVENS comments towards McGahee "He's a special back"

Everything else that follows is writers opinions. Yeah he didn't attend OTA's and he arrived to camp in "not so stellar shape" according to this beat writer. But he had a knee injury. Give him a break.

North said:
When McGahee is healthy it will probably be a 70/30 split, until then who knows. I expect McGahee to play this Monday b/c it is a Monday night game against a weak Houston D. This is an opportunity to show everyone how quick he can recover.As for these Baltimore Sun sports writers, these guys are biased and most are hacks. They seem to have taken the stance that McGahee is bad for the Ravens and are the ones who do most of the talking concerning him being pushed out of town. No one close to the orginazation has said that McGahees attitude has hurt the team. It's always these writers who have opinions on athletes and they try and push their opinions off as facts. Don't take anything that you read from Preston and Hensley as facts, they seem to have a grudge against McGahee and usually get things totally wrong.
How "close" to the Ravens are you? Do you work for them? Just trying to determine how you know the writers are "not close to the organization" and how you know more about what the organization thinks than the beat writers.

I've not even considered starting him the first two weeks but I'm going to start him this week. What you read all week probably won't help. By all accounts his health is not really an issue so it's not going to help you to read he is practicing. He was already doing that. The real question than is what kind of role is he going to have? I think while he was healthy last week his conditioning was not up to par and this is why I would not have started him last week. I do think the extra week is going to help.

Is it a RBBC? Two different writers for the Baltimore Sun think so. One thought Mcgahee would be cut before the season started and he thinks it's going to be the Ray Rice by the end of the season. The other writer thinks is a 3 headed RBBC. I think they are both wrong but I do expect Mcgahee's role to increase as his conditioning and knowledge of the offense increase so I do think Rice and Mclain will get worked in some. That being said this is a team that is going to run and pass to the RB's a ton, sort of like an Oakland so I don't think touches are going to be Mcgahee's problem. I really think the worst thing is Mclain could steal goal line carries. I think Cam is playing the same tricks he did with Ronnie Brown. They are just trying to motivate Willis which is why they let him suit up and made him watch the opener. I do think he is going to have to come in and perform well to grab the job but I think if he does that it's his. This is a division game this weekend so if Baltimore thinks Willis gives them the best chance to win they are going to stay with him. I think the Ravens just want Willis to buy into the program which I think he has been doing. His contract has very low base salaries the next few years so it's not as if he's a high priced player the team is looking to replace.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/rav...ce_notes_8.html

Practice notes

It appears that the unscheduled "bye week" caused by Hurricane Ike has benefited the Ravens in terms of injuries.

Cornerbacks Fabian Washington (neck) and Derrick Martin (right shoulder), wide receivers Demetrius Williams (hamstring) and Yamon Figurs (hamstring) and linebacker Brendan Ayanbadejo (right ankle) were present during practice this afternoon.

Washington, who said he is dealing with a bulging disc in his neck, took part in a few individual drills, and Ayanbadejo went into the locker room after participating in some special teams exercises, but Martin, Williams and Figurs appeared to practice with little difficulty.

The only players absent from the portion of practice open to the media were defensive tackle Kelly Gregg (arthroscopic left knee surgery) and quarterback Troy Smith (tonsil infection). Smith walked out onto the practice field and watched from the sidelines before also returning to the locker room.

Other notes:

• Cornerbacks Chris McAlister (swollen right knee) and Corey Ivy (sprained right ankle), fullbacks Le'Ron McClain (ankle) and Lorenzo Neal (hamstring), free safety Ed Reed (nerve impingement), defensive end Trevor Pryce (back), running back Willis McGahee (arthroscopic left knee surgery), tight end Todd Heap (back), center Jason Brown (ankle) and left offensive tackle Jared Gaither (ankle) -- players listed as probable for what was supposed to be this past weekend's game against the Houston Texans -- practiced.

• McGahee took up his usual position with the first offense, which also included Adam Terry at right offensive tackle. Willie Anderson lined up with the second unit. McAlister, Samari Rolle and Ivy were the first three cornerbacks on the field for the defense.

• The team re-signed defensive tackle J'Vonne Parker to the practice squad. To make room for Parker, the team released wide receiver Matt Willis.

Well I guess I'm rolling with Willis, but this "coach speak" crap is getting on my nerves:

Thu, Sep 18 Jamison Hensley, of The Baltimore Sun, reports Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Cam Cameron talked as if RB Willis McGahee would have a limited role Week 3. McGahee may not start or get most of the carries. Cameron said of RB Ray Rice and FB Le'Ron McClain, "Those are the two backs that we're going with, and Willis' role will increase."

I'm sorry, but did they forget about what McGahee did last year?

I guess we'll see on Sunday, but the way this has been going from the get go, I'm more and more thinking Willis will not be a Raven next year.

everything will be ok he missed one week + his bye. he will come back and be the #1 if he was not the #1 he would have been gone by now and he sure would not be working with the first team.

Thu, Sep 18 Jamison Hensley, of The Baltimore Sun, reports Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Cam Cameron talked as if RB Willis McGahee would have a limited role Week 3. McGahee may not start or get most of the carries. Cameron said of RB Ray Rice and FB Le'Ron McClain, "Those are the two backs that we're going with, and Willis' role will increase."
It sounds like they want the Browns to prepare for all three RBs -- McGahee, Rice and McClain. I can't imagine that they would have McGahee get the first-team reps this week and not use him as the main back in the game, especially with a rookie RB (Rice) as the No. 2 guy.

Users who are viewing this thread