What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Memorial Day (1 Viewer)

Nothing has changed that I know of. May have been something from Invision. In general, I'd rather have way fewer emojis. 

As far as Footballguys as a company, our email last night. https://footballguys.com/updates/21update39.php
That wasn't intended as a shot across the bow.  I was just noting I was surprised to not see it any more.  I know you and your team have always been very respectful of the military. 

I solemnly remember all of those who gave their lives defending this greatest nation of ours. I will forever be in gratitude. 

I’m thankful for all of those who have served in our military. If you’re one of them, and reading this, thank you for your service. Thank you fir defending my freedom. 

It IS a long weekend, and I plan to enjoy it. 

Watch a fair amount of band of brothers yesterday which puts things in perspective and makes me grateful for all that served, past and present.  

I honor all of those who have given up their lives so we can enjoy the freedoms we have.  We may be a flawed country in some respects, but we are still The Greatest Nation in the world.  There is a reason people flock to this country in droves and it's because of our Constitution which grants us the freedoms we have AND those who have given their lives to defend it. 

Without those sacrifices our Constitution would be meaningless.  We respect and honor those people today.  Thank you so much.

:goodposting:

And please take it off the back of your pickup truck and use r/w/b banners for decoration instead of the flag.
And to my neighbor just down the road, please stop flying our nation's flag upside down you miserable cuss. We are not in distress. Show some respect.

Thank you to all who served and are currently serving. 

Vietnam veterans transformed Memorial Day weekend into a holiday about peace

>>By the time the law went into effect on Jan. 1, 1971, many returning service members decided to reject not only the commercialization of Memorial Day, but also the holiday’s traditional premise that it was noble to die fighting a war. They embraced the idea of mourning, but directly connected it to highlighting the horror of war itself....The appropriation of Memorial Day by antiwar veterans in the spring of 1971 made it impossible for President Richard M. Nixon to escalate the war. Fifty years later, as we exit Afghanistan after 20 years, it again offers an opportunity to commit ourselves to a peaceable future.<<

Looking at a WW2 era flag for my father in law’s father, who was a fighter pilot shot down over Germany.  He never met his son who was born after he left for the service.  His sacrifice caused a cascading series of events that are still being felt today.  A reminder that sometimes freedom isn’t free.  

Taps.org

THE MISSION OF TAPS

TAPS provides comfort, care and resources to all those grieving the death of a military loved one. Since 1994, TAPS has provided comfort and hope 24/7 through a national peer support network and connection to grief resources, all at no cost to surviving families and loved ones.

TAPS provides a variety of programs to survivors nation and worldwide. Our National Military Survivor Seminar and Good Grief Camp has been held annually in Washington, D.C., over Memorial Day weekend since 1994. TAPS also conducts regional survivor seminars for adults and youth programs at locations across the country, as well as retreats and expeditions around the world. Staff can get you connected to counseling in your community and help navigate benefits and resources.

If you are grieving the loss of a fallen service member, or if you know someone who can use our support, the TAPS 24/7 National Military Survivor Helpline is always available toll-free with loving support and resources at 800-959-TAPS (8277).

If you are here because our mission to care for the families of America’s fallen heroes speaks to you as well, we welcome you to connect with us about giving, volunteering, professional engagement or careers.

TAPS is a national nonprofit 501(c)3 Veterans Service Organization and is not part of, or endorsed by, the Department of Defense.

OUR WORK

In 2020, we connected with 7,583 newly bereaved loved ones, adding to more than 100,000 surviving family members currently receiving support from TAPS. That was an average of 21 new survivors - every day. TAPS provides an array of programs, comfort, and resources for the families of the fallen. As the world faced a global pandemic, TAPS opened our hearts and 27 years of knowledge to share resources and tools with the world. We shared our experience and expertise, conducting nearly 250 training sessions on grief, trauma, and suicide pre/postvention for military commands, corporations, and professionals across America each year. Our staff members are primarily survivors of military loss who have grown up in the TAPS family and who have now made it their profession to pay it forward. Learn more by downloading the impact reports below.

Because it's disrespectful to our flag and against the rules under which we should be flying them.  And it also bothers me that people don't bring them in when it's raining or they don't take them down at night if they aren't lighted.  
As long as the intent is positive it's all good as far as I'm concerned...but thanks for your respect and pointing out some of the formalities. 

Because it's disrespectful to our flag and against the rules under which we should be flying them.  And it also bothers me that people don't bring them in when it's raining or they don't take them down at night if they aren't lighted.  
Agreed...although patriotism may be the intent, it goes against flag etiquette.

The worse disrespect, other than burning, is flying it upside down simply because you aren't happy with any current administration...either one.
It makes Ol' Glory a political statement instead of a patriotic statement...sounds familiar. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have a home owner near by that has American flag upside down but he took it down after election.

Agreed...although patriotism may be the intent, is is against flag etiquette.

The worse disrespect (as mentioned in this thread) is flying it upside down simply because you aren't happy with any current administration...either one.
It makes Ol' Glory a political statement instead of a patriotic statement...sounds familiar. 
meh....that's really ignorant and dumb, but it's not disrespectful to the flag.  That's exactly what you should do if you think the country is in distress.  That's exactly how it should be flown if you perceive the situation to be such.  Yeah, it's political and petty.  I'd say flying the flag under another flag or a US flag altered in any way (pictures, different colors, words on it etc) is far worse in the disrespect department.  Doesn't make flying it upside down any less moronic.

Though I will say, it's interesting to see some of you give a pass for "intent" given positions held in other threads where the flag is discussed.  I personally don't think intent should be part of the discussion at all.  We have rules around what constitutes respect for our flag.  They should be followed.  Ignorance of such rules isn't an excuse IMO.  There aren't many and they aren't difficult to follow.  

Oh, and my last "get off my lawn" statement would be wearing "flag" apparel.  Terrible.

meh....that's really ignorant and dumb, but it's not disrespectful to the flag.  That's exactly what you should do if you think the country is in distress.  That's exactly how it should be flown if you perceive the situation to be such.  Yeah, it's political and petty.  I'd say flying the flag under another flag or a US flag altered in any way (pictures, different colors, words on it etc) is far worse in the disrespect department.  Doesn't make flying it upside down any less moronic.

Though I will say, it's interesting to see some of you give a pass for "intent" given positions held in other threads where the flag is discussed.  I personally don't think intent should be part of the discussion at all.  We have rules around what constitutes respect for our flag.  They should be followed.  Ignorance of such rules isn't an excuse IMO.  There aren't many and they aren't difficult to follow.  

Oh, and my last "get off my lawn" statement would be wearing "flag" apparel.  Terrible.
Yeah...I edited that remark.
Thinking about it...burning the flag tops the list....the only intention is to show disrespect.

I'm not going to storm someone's yard to take down a flag flying upside down or yank a flag off the back of someone's truck....but I will (and have) interrupt a flag burning.

He is a trump hater , who regularly put signs in his lawn and an upside down American flag.  It was up last Memorial Day thou.  
Sounds like a peach of a person.  Just shows the whackos on the "sides' aren't nearly as different as they'd like to think.

Yeah...I edited that remark.
Thinking about it...burning the flag tops the list....the only intention is to show disrespect.

I'm not going to storm someone's yard to take down a flag flying upside down or yank a flag off the back of someone's truck....but I will (and have) interrupt a flag burning.
If I knew I wouldn't get shot I'd be taking them down and yanking them off trucks and I'm a generally chill person.  As of today, I am left as "that guy" in our neighborhood pages who continually complains about neighbors not respecting the flag.  That's about as far as it goes.  One guy fired back at me asking why I took my flagpole down if I had such a love affair with the flag.  Well, I had just moved into the house, so it wasn't really "my" flagpole, but it didn't have electricity to it and I knew I wouldn't take it down and put it up every day, so the first thing I did after moving in was remove the flagpole.  :lol:  I have 6 flags of fallen family members in my house, from WWII through the first Iraq war.  It was impressed upon me early in life both through observation and teaching how important our flag is to military personnel.  It's the ONE boy scout lesson I always took charge of when it came around.  And it's why I try and stay out of the flag threads in this forum.  I'm pretty sure I'd have an aneurysm trying to have a discussion about the flag while mired in politics.  

If I knew I wouldn't get shot I'd be taking them down and yanking them off trucks and I'm a generally chill person.  As of today, I am left as "that guy" in our neighborhood pages who continually complains about neighbors not respecting the flag.  That's about as far as it goes.  One guy fired back at me asking why I took my flagpole down if I had such a love affair with the flag.  Well, I had just moved into the house, so it wasn't really "my" flagpole, but it didn't have electricity to it and I knew I wouldn't take it down and put it up every day, so the first thing I did after moving in was remove the flagpole.  :lol:  I have 6 flags of fallen family members in my house, from WWII through the first Iraq war.  It was impressed upon me early in life both through observation and teaching how important our flag is to military personnel.  It's the ONE boy scout lesson I always took charge of when it came around.  And it's why I try and stay out of the flag threads in this forum.  I'm pretty sure I'd have an aneurysm trying to have a discussion about the flag while mired in politics.  
I put a solar powered LED lamp on the top of my pole, [ :lol: ]  It's not real bright but it does the job.  I'll buy a better one when this one dies 

I don't take it down in the rain. 

First,, It's raining and I don't wanna get wet,

Second, I don't wanna grab a huge lightning rod in the middle storm.

I flew one of those little flags in my front patio geranium pot all day yesterday. The pole-stick is broken in half because my knucklehead WWII vet old man had "crammed it in the ground" one too many times. 

My brother drove around the neighborhood in his '57 Chevy truck with a huge flag flying in the bed. I "liked" his text message photo.

When I went to visit my Dad in the old folks' home, one of the beautiful white-haired ladies was sitting in a chair wearing a "flag" mask. We chatted for five minutes about how cool she looked. 

It's a shame we disagree...but when I did my own four years back in the day IRRC there was something in the oath about preserving freedoms...so my apologies but I'm not gonna get hung up on formalities if people want to express their pride and support for our country and troops in their own unique, respectful way.

But thank you for your own adherence to the formal etiquette. Great to see.

I put a solar powered LED lamp on the top of my pole, [ :lol: ]  It's not real bright but it does the job.  I'll buy a better one when this one dies 

I see these everywhere here.  As you say, not real bright, but I appreciate the effort and it's better than the alternative.  I always put my flag somewhere covered for the rain reason alone, especially here in Florida.  I'd spend more time putting it up and taking it down than doing anything else during the day.

I flew one of those little flags in my front patio geranium pot all day yesterday. The pole-stick is broken in half because my knucklehead WWII vet old man had "crammed it in the ground" one too many times. 

My brother drove around the neighborhood in his '57 Chevy truck with a huge flag flying in the bed. I "liked" his text message photo.

When I went to visit my Dad in the old folks' home, one of the beautiful white-haired ladies was sitting in a chair wearing a "flag" mask. We chatted for five minutes about how cool she looked. 

It's a shame we disagree...but when I did my own four years back in the day IRRC there was something in the oath about preserving freedoms...so my apologies but I'm not gonna get hung up on formalities if people want to express their pride and support for our country and troops in their own unique, respectful way.

But thank you for your own adherence to the formal etiquette. Great to see.
I'm not sure why you keep replying to me, but it's not me you disagree with.  Respect of our flag is determined/defined in the US Flag Code, not by me.  And there's no reason to apologize to me.  You live as you see fit.  If you disagree with that code and think you know better, I'm not going to try and change your mind.  No sweat off my back.

E Street Brat said:

I have one of those too....
eh  :rolleyes:  not too great but looks better in a very slight breeze.
When the flag(s) is (are) extended, it may brighten the field of blue...just a bit and that is all.
Mine are all-weather flags so they are displayed day and night, rain or shine.

I located my pole by the corner of my house...far enough away that the house doesn't interfere with the flag when it is extended in that direction.
I am lucky though because I have an electrical outlet close by. I was able to run a short connection and install an outdoor outlet near the base of the pole.
I plug it in with an attachment that allows for 3 plugs.
That, along with the other plug in the outlet and I have 4 small spotlights surrounding the pole.
I added a dawn to dusk timer and viola...lighting problem is more than solved...and very inexpensively.
It looks great!

Many of my neighbors had commented on it and as I pointed out in a much earlier post, there are about a half a dozen 20' flagpoles erected in yards very close to mine.
For the most part, they have all done the same thing and I got to tell you...it looks really nice when one is driving down the street.

Now, I have a guy across the street who hangs his flag over his garage door and he has the field of blue on the right side (the wrong side).
I have nicely told him about it but he has not fixed it.

I haven't even thought about going over there and ripping it down.
I'm pretty sure it's just an honest mistake on his part and he may not understand what I was trying to tell him.

I just love seeing flags flying in front of houses.
It is one of the few things that you can do to honor the country we share that shows absolutely no political bias.

I learned some flag etiquette while a member of the flag patrol in 6th grade in Miami for a few weeks. We put the flag up in the morning and took it down at the end of the school day. And then used a triangular fold before storing it for the next day. That was about 50 years ago, but the flag etiquette stuck with me. At the same time, I respect what the Vietnam Veterans Against the War did on Memorial Day in 1971. 

Users who are viewing this thread