What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MERGED: Bush Jersey ruling (1 Viewer)

obxlegends

Footballguy
(KFFL) ESPN reports the NFL has decided to change their policy regarding uniform numbers. No details of the agreement have been disclosed.

If it ends up providing a ton of money for Katrina relief per Reggie's (coercive) offer, I'm all for it, even if it the decision was not made for that reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is HUGE! Will Flutie play one more year so he can wear #22 again?

I'm not sure how to express my dissapointment if Bush is able to manipulate the NFL into letting him wear #5. :thumbdown:

I don't get it. Why is this a big deal? Why is it important that the number he wears has to be in a certain range?

I don't think it's just bush, I know Charles Woodson was lobbying to be able to wear his old number as well. I bet there are a lot of player that would like the change.

I don't get it. Why is this a big deal? Why is it important that the number he wears has to be in a certain range?
Bush wants #5 because it will equal the number of TDs he gets this season.

Hi David,In my opinion, this has nothing to do with numbers. It's about rules in place and having the ability to get those rules changed in your favor.

Bush wanted the rules changed to suit him. That's the issue in my opinion.

It's very similar to the Eli Manning issue in that regard.

J

the rule used to be for the ref's to help them idenitfy players. probably put in when the only had a few guys on the feild. but now that there are more ref's on the field and instant reply. i don't see a need for the rule in the NFL

:goodposting: Excepting O-Linemen having to wear 60-79, it makes no difference whatsoever what number anyone wears.

:goodposting: You people need to get a life if you have a serious problem with Bush wearing #5.

Hi David,In my opinion, this has nothing to do with numbers. It's about rules in place and having the ability to get those rules changed in your favor.

J
So it's not ok to ask to get a rule changed? You should always go along with how things are and never, ever ask if something can be changed? Sheesh, what's with you people blasting a guy for asking?

J
Hey Joe,What would you want a player to do when he doesn't like a particular rule?

It looks to me like this is a rule that has long outlived its usefulness, if any. Fitzgerald and Moss hardly wear "traditional" WR numbers. Sounds like this is a good move by the player's association, although as I'm sure you'll agree this is a largely irrelevant issue.

J
So it's not ok to ask to get a rule changed? You should always go along with how things are and never, ever ask if something can be changed? Sheesh, what's with you people blasting a guy for asking?
Hi Bob,Anyone asking for preferential treatment is almost always going to be blasted by some. I'm not saying that's right. But I'm saying it's not surprising at all.

Again, just like Eli Manning. He had the right to ask to change the rules and not take what was handed down to him. But he had to expect that people would react like they did.

J

J
Hey Joe,What would you want a player to do when he doesn't like a particular rule?

It looks to me like this is a rule that has long outlived its usefulness, if any. Fitzgerald and Moss hardly wear "traditional" WR numbers. Sounds like this is a good move by the player's association, although as I'm sure you'll agree this is a largely irrelevant issue.
Hi Chase, I was fine with Bush asking and I was fine with Eli doing his thing. Personal decisions that have to be made by these guys. They just have to accept some people won't like the asking for preferential treatment thing.

J

J
Hi Bob,Anyone asking for preferential treatment is almost always going to be blasted by some. I'm not saying that's right. But I'm saying it's not surprising at all.

Again, just like Eli Manning. He had the right to ask to change the rules and not take what was handed down to him. But he had to expect that people would react like they did.

J
It seems we're on the same page. Not surprising some dopes out there have a problem with players asking for a rule to be changed.

J

J
How is asking to wear a specific number even in the same ballpark as refusing to play for the team that drafts you and forcing a trade?

My answer would simply be, it's what we've grown up with. That doesn't really answer your question, but it would look weird seeing Richard Seymour wearing #3. Look at some old NFL Films. Are you going to tell me that Otto Graham looks better wearing #60 than he does wearing #14?Edited to add that, I believe the genesis of the rule was that it help to identify players quickly. You see a certain range of numbers.... you have a good idea what position the man plays. Not sure if the rule was created to help the fans or the TV/radio guys.

J
Okay. I get that, but my question is this... Why is it important that players wear a number in a certain range?If the only reason for the rule to stand is that its a rule, well, that's not a good reason. If the only reason is because its always been done that way, well, that's not a good reason either.

Why?

For what its worth, I see huge problems with Reggie Bush as a teammate because he's displayed an attitude of entitlement in college and as a pro, but just because I think he's a punk doesn't mean he isn't right in this case.

My answer would simply be, it's what we've grown up with. That doesn't really answer your question, but it would look weird seeing Richard Seymour wearing #3. Look at some old NFL Films. Are you going to tell me that Otto Graham looks better wearing #60 than he does wearing #14?
You think the league would be a better place if they didn't let Jim Otto wear 00?

My answer would simply be, it's what we've grown up with. That doesn't really answer your question, but it would look weird seeing Richard Seymour wearing #3. Look at some old NFL Films. Are you going to tell me that Otto Graham looks better wearing #60 than he does wearing #14?
You think the league would be a better place if they didn't let Jim Otto wear 00?
:hot: Stop refuting my arguments with solid points....

My answer would simply be, it's what we've grown up with. That doesn't really answer your question, but it would look weird seeing Richard Seymour wearing #3. Look at some old NFL Films. Are you going to tell me that Otto Graham looks better wearing #60 than he does wearing #14?Edited to add that, I believe the genesis of the rule was that it help to identify players quickly. You see a certain range of numbers.... you have a good idea what position the man plays. Not sure if the rule was created to help the fans or the TV/radio guys.
Tradition as a stand alone reason is not a good reason.

I agree that Bush has displayed a sense of entitlement both in college and his very short NFL career, but I don't think I can side with the NFL on this issue.

Can someone give me a good reason that this rule exists?

I agree that Bush has displayed a sense of entitlement both in college and his very short NFL career, but I don't think I can side with the NFL on this issue.

It was done to make it easier for officials to distinguish between players of different positions. #5 just happened to go to the QB/K/P pool.

The refs had a hard enough time giving the super bowl to the Steelers, now you want them to figure out if single didgets means QB or RB?

I'll play devil's advocate and side with the NFL here.

They've rejected Edge's request to wear #5 three times. Don't you think it'd be a bit of a slap in the face to Edge if they decided to let Bush wear it? And what justification could they give to ever say no to a player again?

but they let Keyshawn wear 19 :thumbdown:
Keyshawn got #19 in part because all of the 80's were taken in New York the year he was drafted.

I equate this to when the NBA finally allowed numbers larger than "5". That rule was in place for the refs' ease of displaying the player's foul to the official scorer.

That seems ridiculous now because we ask why the ref could not just say the number.

Also, what does this do to the "tackle eligible" play?

The numbers may be one way the refs distinguish who can catch passes.

They've rejected Edge's request to wear #5 three times. Don't you think it'd be a bit of a slap in the face to Edge if they decided to let Bush wear it? And what justification could they give to ever say no to a player again?

but they let Keyshawn wear 19  :thumbdown:
Keyshawn got #19 in part because all of the 80's were taken in New York the year he was drafted.
Keyshawn got #19 because with numbers being retired around the league, teams were running out of spots for the 80's, which were designated for WR's. The NFL recently opened up the teens to all WR's, that's why you see guys (Randy Moss, etc) sporting them just recently. it's not just a Keyshawn thing.

They've rejected Edge's request to wear #5 three times.  Don't you think it'd be a bit of a slap in the face to Edge if they decided to let Bush wear it?  And what justification could they give to ever say no to a player again?

Keyshawn got #19 because with numbers being retired around the league, teams were running out of spots for the 80's, which were designated for WR's. The NFL recently opened up the teens to all WR's, that's why you see guys (Randy Moss, etc) sporting them just recently. it's not just a Keyshawn thing.
So pretty much exactly what I said.

They've rejected Edge's request to wear #5 three times.  Don't you think it'd be a bit of a slap in the face to Edge if they decided to let Bush wear it?  And what justification could they give to ever say no to a player again?

I added that availability was down because of retiring numbers, and that it wasn't just a Keyshawn thing. Your post said pretty much that Keyshawn got it because the Jets had 10 WR's. So no, pretty much not exactly what you said.

Too bad. I would have bought a jersey and gladly supported the Katrina cause. Now, I won't be buying one. Bad move on the NFL's part in my opinion. Funny how they take such a firm stance on player numbers but they allow other crap to go on in the league. They have their priorities totally mixed up.

Rule 5, Section 1, Article 4:

All players must wear numerals on their jerseys in accordance with Rule 5, Section 3, Article 3(c ) [specifying allowable colors and font-sizes], and such numerals must be by playing position as follows: Quarterbacks, punters and place kickers, 1-19 (and 10-19 for wide receivers if 80-89 are all otherwise assigned), running backs and defensive backs 20-49; centers, 50-59 (60-79 if 50-59 unavailable; offensive guards and tackles, 60-79; wide receivers and tight ends, 80-89; defensive lineman 60-79 (90-99 if 60-79 unavailable); and linebackers,50-59 (90-99 if 50-59 unavailable).If a players changes his position during his playing career in the NFL and such change moves him out of a catagory stated above, he must be issued an appropiate new jersey number.Any request for a numeral for a special position not specified above (e.g. H.back) must be made to the Commissioner.During the preseason when playing rosters are larger, the League the will allow duplications and other temporary deviations from the numbering scheme specified above, but the rule must be adhered to for all players during the regular season and postseason. Clubs must make numerals available to adhere to the rule, even if it requires putting back into circulation a numeral that has been retired or withheld for other reasons. See 7-2-3 for reporting change of position.

Too bad. I would have bought a jersey and gladly supported the Katrina cause. Now, I won't be buying one. Bad move on the NFL's part in my opinion. Funny how they take such a firm stance on player numbers but they allow other crap to go on in the league. They have their priorities totally mixed up.
I'm pretty sure there are other ways to make Katrina donations!

Contrary to other posts, the NFL has rejected Reggie Bush's request to wear No. 5, according to ESPNEWS.
1-18 is reserved for QBs and Kickers. Meshawn got 19 because there are so many numbers in the 80s retired that they had to expand the number pool at the WR position.

You are totally right, but being a Bush fan, it was a great way to get a jersey and support a good cause. I don't have any jerseys and am not the type of person that would wear one. I just thought this would be a good reason to buy one.

It was done to make it easier for officials to distinguish between players of different positions. #5 just happened to go to the QB/K/P pool.
That makes sense, but I wonder what the refs would say. Do they think its necessary?

That makes sense, but I wonder what the refs would say. Do they think its necessary?
(NFL Rule 5, Section 1, Article 4)All players must wear numerals on their jerseys in accordance with Rule 5, Section 3, Article 3c (see NOTE 1), and such numerals must be by playing position as follows: quarterbacks, punters, and placekickers, 1-19 (and 10-19 for wide receivers if 80-89 are all otherwise assigned); running backs and defensive backs, 20-49; centers, 50-59 (60-79 if 50-59 unavailable); offensive guards and tackles, 60-79; wide receivers and tight ends, 80-89; defensive lineman, 60-79 (90-99 if 60-79 unavailable); and linebackers 50-59 (90-99 if 50-59 unavailable).

:banned:

I added that availability was down because of retiring numbers, and that it wasn't just a Keyshawn thing. Your post said pretty much that Keyshawn got it because the Jets had 10 WR's. So no, pretty much not exactly what you said.
I was just kidding, man. :scared:

You are totally right, but being a Bush fan, it was a great way to get a jersey and support a good cause. I don't have any jerseys and am not the type of person that would wear one. I just thought this would be a good reason to buy one.
You can still support a good cause without getting something back in return.Besides, if Bush was as sincere in his intentions as he'd have us believe, he'd still donate X% of the profits to Katrina, regardless of which number he wears.

Short Answer, Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread