What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:MERGED: Shark Pool Discussion and Ideas (2 Viewers)

Bummer. You guys take yourselves too seriously sometimes. This is a fantasy game we play, nothing more. A game. I'm damn good at it, have a lot of knowledge, and at times add a lot here from that standpoint. But at other times I enjoy the board in other ways. I think there's room for NFL-related humor here, and many of us enjoy that. It's part of the entertainment of coming here. It's too bad that's not acceptable and you don't think there's room for more than just NFL news and thoughts. If I've got to be Mr. Serious all the time then I'll be coming around a lot less. Thanks for setting guys like me straight and dulling the broad flavor of the board.

:goodposting:

I'm all for keeping it fun, after all, it is just a game.

BUT.....

.....there is a difference between being "too serious" and having to

endure the the idiots that foul up the pool.

A forum for the paying customers is a great solution. If you care enough to

pay, you will most likely care enough to maintain your purchase, right?

Granted we'd still get a few guys who would post garbage and then claim

"well I paid $25 to post here", but those guys would be far and few between.

Wow these were merged? I think they're completely unrelated.
Well, I started one of the topics, and don't see anything wrong with the merger, It seems to me like they are very strongly related...good job MODS, no need for more of the same on 2 different threads.....

.....there is a difference between being "too serious" and having to

endure the the idiots that foul up the pool.

A forum for the paying customers is a great solution. If you care enough to

pay, you will most likely care enough to maintain your purchase, right?

Granted we'd still get a few guys who would post garbage and then claim

"well I paid $25 to post here", but those guys would be far and few between.

Am curious why you, and some others, assume it is only nonsubscribers who are making the offending posts? Not sure why interest in spending or not spending $25 on info would be a distinguishing factor. Having money doesn't make you less combative/annoying. ;)

There are a lot of different people here -- wide range of ages, temperaments,etc. You can't homogenize us. This stuff ican happen, unfortunately, with a site of this size...and the whole I-anonymity thing. I just scroll past what doesn't interest me.

And, Happy New Year, to all celebrating today. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Am curious why you, and some others, assume it is only nonsubscribers who are making the offending posts? Not sure why interest in spending or not spending $25 on info would be a distinguishing factor. Having money doesn't make you less combative/annoying. ;)

There are a lot of different people here -- wide range of ages, temperaments,etc. You can't homogenize us. This stuff ican happen, unfortunately, with a site of this size...and the whole I-anonymity thing. I just scroll past what doesn't interest me.

And, Happy New Year, to all celebrating today. :)

Re-read my post, I didn't say that it was only nonsubscribers posting junk.

And if you re-read my post, you would see that I hypothesized that a monetary

investment (subscription) would deter the abuses on the board.

Its just an idea. NOTE: I am in favor of keeping a free shark pool as well.

But I don't see any harm in having a subscribers-only shark pool.

Do you :confused:

... you would see that I hypothesized that a monetary investment (subscription) would deter the abuses on the board.
I only have anecdotal evidence, but my experience tends to lean the other direction. I've found the many members feel that paying the subscription earns them sort of license to break the rules. I can't tell you how many times I've dealt with the "But I'm a subscriber" response after warning or suspending an account.I don't have direct access to who is and isn't a subscriber. That's not my department, and to find out that specific information I have to email Clayton, Keith, or Doug. I've found that it's probably a good thing that I don't have that information so I can moderate the boards in an unbiased manner.

Everybody enjoys the occasional piss in the pool. Don't deny it, you've done it before too.
I have trouble keeping a straight face in here; everyone is just so serious.I like being in game threads with Mojo. He knows how to have fun watching a game.

I only have anecdotal evidence, but my experience tends to lean the other direction. I've found the many members feel that paying the subscription earns them sort of license to break the rules. I can't tell you how many times I've dealt with the "But I'm a subscriber" response after warning or suspending an account.
This is very interesting. Sorta like the way some fans misbehave at a game?

If there's a little debate about replacements connected with an injury, or an occasional one line zinger, I'm OK with that. If two posters start going back and forth, I can always scroll. The only thing that really irks me is using the reply function excessively when it isn't needed. Like quoting a lengthy article to give a five word reply or a thumbs up... or quoting a back and forth conversation of 15 posts to add two cents at the bottom. The scrolling gets out of hand then.

Other than that I don't mind the news/debate/comedy combination at all. If the thread is becoming a train wreck, I simply leave it and try another.

:shrug:

I think the system works best the way it is. If a post is a problem, report it.

I don't like the idea of more rules to enforce, which then causes more debate and complaints about the rules and the moderators.

Nor do I think an elitist forum for members only cures anything. If anything, you'd be likely getting members there demanding better answers beause they paid to be there. I think the open discussion of the rankings (or whatever pay feature) without revealing too much works best also.

That's my gut feeling I guess, but it comes with many years of online moderating experiences in multiple other forums.

Edit: typo

Nor do I think an elitist forum for members only cures anything. If anything, you'd be likely getting members there demanding better answers beause they paid to be there. I think the open discussion of the rankings (or whatever pay feature) without revealing too much works best also.
I am not talking about an elitist forum. I am talking about a forum for subscribers. Having a subscriber forum is no more elitist than Joe charging people for accessto his information and applications.

Guys I've been visiting this page solidly and religiously since the daya when it was called "CHEATSHEETS"; that's probably 5-6 years ago, and have been a regular subscriber to the "Premiun Services" since the day it was started, matter of fact, the last 2 years I've dropped all the other paying subscriptions I adhered to... I come to the Shark Pool to get "USEFULL INFORMATION". but it seems to me that the "Pool" is becoming more of a place where guys come in to express their own biased personal opinions about different players acording to their own personal views, based on their own vested interests accordingly as to wether they own that particular player or not...A few minutes ago I checked the "Premiun" cheatsheets, to discover that Ahman Green was not even listed in the projection list; which inmediately prompted me to go to the Shark Pool to try and gather and collect any usefull new information about Green...sure enough there was a thread about Green and a hamstring injury condition....After reading 2 pages of a thread about the subject at hand, I've come away with the very dissapointing conclusion that there's more personal opinions being shared about wether Morency or Herron are gonna be "Studs", than I could find about Green's status and physical condition or wether he had even been ruled out of Sunday's game, or wether he would play at all...A bunch of argumentative BS about the backups, is not going to help anyone that is looking for solid information about the injury surrounding Green...Joe Bryant and Mods, consider, "LETS BE EXCELLENT TO ONE ANOTHER", needs to be readdressed here soon; this incident I'm bringing up is not an isolated incident; this is becoming too common...To the rest of the "Pool Sharks" community, please feel free to chime in,...If I've overreacted on this matter, please let me know in no uncertain words...I would like to see the "Shark Pool" remain what it's always been; the best source of information in the Fantasy Football World....
:goodposting: I'd agree - its much less useful. It almost feels less mature than informative lately... :2cents:

I am not talking about an elitist forum. I am talking about a forum for subscribers. Having a subscriber forum is no more elitist than Joe charging people for accessto his information and applications.
Still, elitist is what others will consider it and that's another problem. This is evdienced by the number of comments in this thread where people suggested it would keep out the riff-raff.

Still, elitist is what others will consider it and that's another problem. This is evdienced by the number of comments in this thread where people suggested it would keep out the riff-raff.

1. Why is it another problem? Do those same people consider the pay-portion as elitist?

2. If so, does anyone care?

I am talking about giving the subscribers another tool, another option,

another value-added service.

Its not a big deal if it doesn't happen, but the idea warrants some

real consideration.....

1. Why is it another problem? Do those same people consider the pay-portion as elitist?

real consideration.....
Just an FYI for those who may have missed Joe's posted thoughts on subscriber-only forums in prior discussions.

real consideration.....
Just an FYI for those who may have missed Joe's posted thoughts on subscriber-only forums in prior discussions.
Thanks for the link. It shows good insight and a lot of thought being put into it. And since that was posted over a year ago, and it didn't happen, I believe it won't because the right decision has already been made.

I also9 think Joe's reasoning makes great business sense. But, as discussed above, even a subscriber forum will likely have its share of annoying/dead-horse-beating/pick-your-adjective posts.

I visit mastersball.com for baseball and they do have a subscribers forum. I can't comment on it, as I'm not a subscriber.

But I can tell you that the free board is excellent and generally smack/joke-free. Much. much smaller user base.

Too many diguised AC threads.Ie, "Is Cedric Benson going to be of any value this year"Which is really, should I drop/add him?
I don't agree with this ... some disguised AC threads are quite obvious, but I don't see why asking about a given player's value going forward belongs in the AC. This question directly affects anyone who is a Benson, or Jones owner and may apply to anyone looking for a solid buy low RB.In my opinion, people are way to quick to jump on threads and declare them AC material. Sometimes, you have to read through 10 posts of BS arguing before you can get to any decent content. People gotta just let the mods do their job and quit their #####in!

Too many diguised AC threads.Ie, "Is Cedric Benson going to be of any value this year"Which is really, should I drop/add him?
I don't agree with this ... some disguised AC threads are quite obvious, but I don't see why asking about a given player's value going forward belongs in the AC. This question directly affects anyone who is a Benson, or Jones owner and may apply to anyone looking for a solid buy low RB.In my opinion, people are way to quick to jump on threads and declare them AC material. Sometimes, you have to read through 10 posts of BS arguing before you can get to any decent content. People gotta just let the mods do their job and quit their #####in!
:goodposting: this is a fantasy football board. people come here to help them draft and manage their rosters. what, to me, distinguishes an acf thread is that it is geared to someone's individual situation. if it can help and involve many posters, as a general thread on cedric benson should, it belongs here.

... you would see that I hypothesized that a monetary investment (subscription) would deter the abuses on the board.
I only have anecdotal evidence, but my experience tends to lean the other direction. I've found the many members feel that paying the subscription earns them sort of license to break the rules. I can't tell you how many times I've dealt with the "But I'm a subscriber" response after warning or suspending an account.I don't have direct access to who is and isn't a subscriber. That's not my department, and to find out that specific information I have to email Clayton, Keith, or Doug. I've found that it's probably a good thing that I don't have that information so I can moderate the boards in an unbiased manner.
That is where we differ in opinion. People who pay to support this site should be given more leeway.. Without our money, you would not have a board or the site. I think the mods forget that. Why should we all pay to let leeches come on here for free. It's the money we pay that keeps this board up and running.

:goodposting: this is a fantasy football board. people come here to help them draft and manage their rosters. what, to me, distinguishes an acf thread is that it is geared to someone's individual situation. if it can help and involve many posters, as a general thread on cedric benson should, it belongs here.
:goodposting: Well said. If somebody wants to discuss what Lamont Jordan owners are doing with him, or if Isaac Bruce owners are considering starting him, I'm all for it. There are plenty of Jordan and Bruce owners out there to benefit from the discussion. Those threads weren't simply a "should I start this guy over this guy" or "trade this guy for this guy" thread. They were great guages of current and future value, both perceived and reasoned.As long as a post doesn't apply to one very particular situation, the "This should be moved" and "thinly veiled ACF thread" police need to move on and read a thread more to their liking. It is really not that hard to do.

I pay to be a subscriber here and do log in at least five times a week. What others post in threads I really don't care about I just skip the non issue ones.

My beef is 3 hours before games start (1pm Sundays) I always have a hard time trying to get into this site

(very congestive site due to heavy traffic I know) I have a fast PC on a cable connection but there are over 1000 in the shark pool alone right now (weekday average is 400-500 I believe). Since the topic is SHARK POOL DISCUSSION AND IDEAS...I think a good idea is to give paying subscribers a way to get in here when there is heavy traffic on this site. This is just a idea..might be impossible to do!

882 User(s) are browsing this forum (415 Guests and 11 Anonymous Users)

456 Members: El Capitan, hellz_fireflies, DoubleDown, VicLic2, brownies19, TheWalkmen, Anon, Brownsfan, Dvorak, KingEl, #1 Chiefs Fan, yortstop, one time, SpecOpLoad, RedRaiders, SargentSlim, desert rose, Monse, djjosee, Sunshine, King of the Jungle, Elway Lives, renesauz, Memphis Foundry, SOmojo, DawnBTVS, ICON211, fruity pebbles, swoosh1, thealy35, banjomatic, Stingdiddy, BustedKnuckles, Bad_Mo, pgreenfan, OldMilwaukee, Warsteinner, SayChowda, pyite76, proninja, tommy300, tech, mcd, Cantonese32, al_falcons, Unger, Blackjacks, IndyHavoc, Redmanchu, AZhardballz, uwgb96, jon_mx, Lowly Clerk, The Ghost, gilmors, Longshot88, Homer, The Contrarian, SouthJersey, coo2ie, sport8909, cstruk, malice, falconeyed, tweeds, RandyDB, kwille, BigTex, CHEF, DropKick, CravenM, StormJr, Shermanator, hotdampepperman, Pumpnick, Joe Sixpack, Bad Mojo, hd_Fatboy, supermark_28, fierce_corgi, sunking, BoltzFan, Freakny26, ellisonb11, Yardage, Anonymous Internet User, SeniorVBDStudent, Scruff Mcgruff, Fishin Phil, drpill, dancer, Eraser, IGKYA!!!, BOSUM, Jedimaster21, TommyKramer, rupricht, wrcrew, Hugonel, soymex, Howard_DeVore, Polyethylene Bag, funkybunch, Peep It Yo!, peepleschamp, dawgtrails, bigliebdogg, vanman29, DayToDay, Will, LadyMo, Gridiron Dog, SmallDawgsBITE, raidergil, The Crew, phowler13, CA_7, Chris Smith, Ruffrodys05, jwilk, Art Vandalay, Loose Moose, crnerblitz, brednbuddah, delusional, Super Hogs, Silverbacks, IM666, RBM, CBizzie, WildEyedOne, JerseyPaul, Illegal Pants Downfield, youbetcha, blk, Smoky, Tackling Dummies, VT700GUY, dfwboiler, eddiezz74, Shockizzle, Gr00vus, Tecumseh, pghrob, boonesfarm4me, Gargoylez, johns560, tombonneau, cscmtp, bigfun54, Crusaderfan, fflnut, schlesinj, Football Jones, Bertha, Blitzkrieg914, Captain Quinoa, Chaz, tdk_316, Tarkin, Bri, plymkr, gregjcross, Death and Taxes, snogger, jbird, mmcgu59024, East Coast Bias, rifkin, haxx, "The Waterboy", FFLOA, FantasyGuru#1, j3r3m3y, Trap Play, mistersmith, Miller_Time, isiahcleaves, coolnerd, code, DannyBoy2, Panzer, ryoly, RickJames, FinHead, Mighty Mice, R.White, kd1, Buckna, Eviloutsider, Andy Hicks, walkmac, mad sweeney, Ghoti, Disco Stu, JRoss, europack, pats, oukurt, TangiTigah, mightyeskimo, weiner, Sundog, joepageers, Mapmaker, ThisGuy, Sniper, Tin Cup, The People's Slacker, BOTWP, UraMoMo, Arsenal, Porkos, hwjchim, fanofthegame, Big Log, traciepb, aldelgreco, NE_REVIVAL, Tinkles, playin4beer, osubuckeyeman, YooperWMU, valence, phrozen, gobosox, GOroute, Txns8, toro5741, Chaos Commish, Pimpin Ain't Easy, Patoons, Da Good Da Bad an Da Ugly, maninthebox, duckie, D-BO, DBomb, J-Co, kbreaker, sbo76, Giant Wooden Badger, tsarc888, tecmo bo, Marvelous, Winning IS Everything, Gbagzz, Jedeye, Canuckleheads, Rounders, thammond, Pole Cat, guderian, potsie, FootballGuysince98, Turk Tide, Debeucci, UFO, jurrassic, LogDawg, jafo, The Big Guy, bidiot, One, Otis, NoCheese, gorf, Gopher State, RedZone, steviey, Clove33, BigTymer, ipljeff, o6swing, Halvo, mulliganm, compreal, Makk, ahill84006, Daggeth, eaglejohn, Chumpson, Romulan, PoolShark, jdraiders, August West, Optimizer, redaddy25, ISUGUY, Slider, Ghost Rider, tribecalledjeff, AdmiralST, Chiefs Transplant, Cannon Fodder, Meat, BIGDAL88, Chickenwang, slygroovis, JetsWillWin, ffweasel, CCFunk, MadCat, After the Rain, hawkeyemba, bullitt, cascaa, top dog, grouse, kustyffb, infantsam, Jayrok, pack100, howo5, McNabbulous, Shorty, SpaceCowboy, Johnny Ice, kupcho1, drewblue, Land Rush 101, The Jacket, hakras, Sea Bass, fathermurphy, Fit4Life, MeVsMaradona, Dolfan, azngangster, pecorino, Diamond, raydc, toxic, Rob, coby88, Keepers, jeter23, starks2755, watsonrm, HitMen05, vasco75, Slinger, RenegadeGM, Bauer, dallas428, ILoveMyLions, JaxJokers, Callas Disregard, kbcrowe, beaglemac, tarznatz, Thumper, Preds, GiantsFTW, Dr. van Nostrand, Drunken Sailors, Darth Cheney, qeck, Bag End, GiantsRule, Sleeper 43, Sinrman, bills025, snitwitch, faede, onthevirg, rowdyroddypiper, Macdaddy_2004, Rocco, sparkky, NJ, toppshelff, cr8f, mt-wabo, Gordo, artwa, andyk, odin33, Mik789fl, PRE42, OneEastRiver, PeaceBringer, thetman, rotorooter, bLACKSTAr 3O5, JoeyJoeJoeJrShabadoo, Parmcat, Raistlin_Majere, schaef2k, Habanero, derek19, Country Boy, snarfsnarf, cobra kai, Chemical X, Jizzeff1, boss hogg, bfyk4j2, steeltoes, elcohiba, morinput, Jmon, Damage, Sagan, beavers, Titanium, neal cassady, newteech, PhillyFunk, Bbaier, josh, Saints-Man, express, SKIDMARK, satch, spitkickers, Papa Georgio, RoxSolid, tchalyjr, Doogie, mclarke, Bristol, The Gatekeeper, dojeff, jcuadrado, JetMaxx, LionFan, GregStarling, Highway Robbery, Atlanta Pimps, chewybip, Finatic, Zorph's Warriors, dallas, Enderdog, hakjak, kylechoffman, Gridiron King, TBFL, Red Menace, pantherclub, Ozymandias, The Big House 107,501, Governor Arnold, THE UNDERCOVER BROTHA, HawgsofWar, Hipple, Long, Ware, & Peete, Jefvan, DevilDog919, JaxBill, Kilgore Trout, LordHusker, aposulli, Al Czervik, tang, The Cereal Killer, cgcloutier

Thanks for the link. It shows good insight and a lot of thought being put into it. And since that was posted over a year ago, and it didn't happen, I believe it won't because the right decision has already been made.

I'll check out the link. Just because a decision was made a year ago, doesn't

make it right. This board has changed a LOT in a year. It's time to examine it again.

I pay to be a subscriber here and do log in at least five times a week. What others post in threads I really don't care about I just skip the non issue ones.My beef is 3 hours before games start (1pm Sundays) I always have a hard time trying to get into this site(very congestive site due to heavy traffic I know) I have a fast PC on a cable connection but there are over 1000 in the shark pool alone right now (weekday average is 400-500 I believe). Since the topic is SHARK POOL DISCUSSION AND IDEAS...I think a good idea is to give paying subscribers a way to get in here when there is heavy traffic on this site. This is just a idea..might be impossible to do!
The main page is on a different server. Keith had hoped to add another server this week but it didn't arrive in time. Should be much better next week.

I'll check out the link. Just because a decision was made a year ago, doesn't

make it right. This board has changed a LOT in a year. It's time to examine it again.
I posted the year-old link because it provided the details of Joe's thought process on the decision. This string of posts from the interview thread Joe and David did this summer is the most recent discussion.

I pay to be a subscriber here and do log in at least five times a week. What others post in threads I really don't care about I just skip the non issue ones.My beef is 3 hours before games start (1pm Sundays) I always have a hard time trying to get into this site(very congestive site due to heavy traffic I know) I have a fast PC on a cable connection but there are over 1000 in the shark pool alone right now (weekday average is 400-500 I believe). Since the topic is SHARK POOL DISCUSSION AND IDEAS...I think a good idea is to give paying subscribers a way to get in here when there is heavy traffic on this site. This is just a idea..might be impossible to do!
The main page is on a different server. Keith had hoped to add another server this week but it didn't arrive in time. Should be much better next week.
Thank you very much for the fast reply Jene...I never knew that the main page was on a different serverthat I get easy..here in the shark pool is the problem...maybe as you said the new server for these forums might help..Just notice over 2000 now in the shark pool..to bad all are not paying subscribers be alot of money in this. :D

Thank you very much for the fast reply Jene...I never knew that the main page was on a different serverthat I get easy..here in the shark pool is the problem...maybe as you said the new server for these forums might help..Just notice over 2000 now in the shark pool..to bad all are not paying subscribers be alot of money in this. :D
Huh...most including myself are having the opposite problem. Main page and blogger loading slowly. Message board humming fine. It's the blogger/main server that's getting the upgrade.

I just want to say that no matter what you do it will never be good enough for some people. They will always find somthing to complain about.

So F them!

HOw bout getting the capability to let people check the site from noon to 1pm on game days??

good to see it's getting fixed before anybody really needs it. I'm sure there wasn't ample time this summer. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread