What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MFL Dsicount for 2024? (2 Viewers)

I contacted them about the FGB discount since I have been using it for 15 years and I have 9 leagues I commish so that adds up.

They said "No, the FBG discount is not available"

Not that it matters to me, but wonder how much traffic they lose because of this.
If you're jacking the price and removing a discount, I can see some folks saying sayonara.

It's a $10 discount. In a 12-team league, that's 83 cents per team.
Or to look at it another way. Someone I know that is commish of 100+ leagues on MFL... When you look at a $10 increase and loss of this discount that's an extra $2000 out of the prize pools. He is trying to figure out budgets and what to do.

I think MFL has always missed a good opportunity to offer commish that host multiple leagues volume discounts. It's an easy way to lock up their loyalty.
Not true. I host 3 MFL leagues that I commish and 2 of the 3 are at a $10 discount because I have more than one league.
I'm talking about volume not 3 of your leagues or 15 of mine... The commish that drive all their leagues to MFL and host 50+, even 100+. IMO they should be paying $50 per league

Dang. $20 increase/per league from last year. The $10 MFL increase and the removal of the $10 FBG discount.

And new ownership with no announcement or introduction (that I'm aware of).

We'll see how this goes. Hope it's not like CBS and $150 in a few years.

Dang. $20 increase/per league from last year. The $10 MFL increase and the removal of the $10 FBG discount.

And no announcement of new features, site refresh, etc. I would be fine if there is added value. I have been on MFL since 2009. It's functional, but they have spent zero time in the web interface and mobile dev. It's like rewinding 20 years in web development. Hopefully the new company will focus more on that, but before jacking up prices, it would be nice to know.

And no announcement of new features, site refresh, etc. I would be fine if there is added value. I have been on MFL since 2009. It's functional, but they have spent zero time in the web interface and mobile dev. It's like rewinding 20 years in web development. Hopefully the new company will focus more on that, but before jacking up prices, it would be nice to know.
Did McDonalds improve their hamburgers before raising prices?

Terrible analogy. Product development is expected for any software or web provider.

Terrible analogy. Product development is expected for any software or web provider.
So does cost of doing business and cost of living require cost increases.

Hi Folks.

There have been some changes with MFL and we're looking to see there if they'll still be able to offer the discount as they have in the past. Hope to have an answer by end of next week.
Any updates JB?

Sorry but no.

Could be next week but not sure. If folks need an answer today, the answer would be no discount.

But hopefully may be able to get something next week.

i'm not sure exactly what overhead they have that justifies their price, let alone a 10$ increase

i'm not sure exactly what overhead they have that justifies their price, let alone a 10$ increase
So that is a .84 cent increase to league mates in a 12 team league. Better get a 2nd job.

So that is a .84 cent increase to league mates in a 12 team league. Better get a 2nd job.

so a 10$ increase every season is ok for you? where do you draw the line?

I don't have an MFL team anymore... I didn't have an issue with part of our league fees going towards it when we did. Im/We're happier now though that we found a free system that fits perfectly with our rules/regulations, so that the prize pool is fuller, and we're not paying a system that has upgraded zlich in a decade, with no usable app.

Sure. Not the point. Serious question - do you work there or are you friends with someone that does? Seems like you are emotionally running to their defense when the complaints are legitimate,

Used to use MFL and loved it. Now using Sleeper and I'm shocked at how little I miss everything else. App and website both work fine for the past three seasons.

I do think MFL is priced reasonably, even with the increases. It's still not even $10 a team, even for a 10-team league. Good value and I support anyone who pays the increase. Only issue I have is, if the free product is that good, why bother with anything else?
How does Sleeper deal with blind bid waivers, then back to first-come-first-serve and then back to blind bid waivers, both during the offseason and in-season? What about locking of players whose games have started on Thurs, but allow pickups of players before other players games have started? What about custom players for a DEVY league? Someone already said they don't retain league history.
Sleeper does retain league history. You can view previous league years in their entirety, including the chat. They don't track some of the fun things like MFL like "highest scoring week ever in league history" etc. but I'm sure it would not be hard for them to do seeing as all the data is there. They just have a list of priority things they try to implement every offseason, so something like that is probably further down the list.

They have numerous waiver settings and you can change them throughout the year. We do FCFS after draft, blind waivers once a week for the later portion of the offseason, then blind bid waivers 3 times a week during. There are options for player locks. We have players lock at kick off of their games and FCFS starting one hour prior to kickoff of Sunday games so people can replace late declare injuries or outs for later games/Monday games.

I don't know about creating custom players. I do know DEVY is on the aforementioned short list of additions. This past year it was auction draft capabilities. A few years before that it was adding Dynasty.

I used MFL for years and I'm not intending this as a knock against them; but Sleeper started hosting leagues in 2017 and have added more features and options in the past 6 years than MFL did as long as I used them. People with hyper complicated leagues and tons of unique settings would most likely not find what they need there. But I would comfortably throw a "yet" at the end of that sentence. For the size of the team they've had working there, and they fact they started as, and still remain, free to use I'm super impressed with what they've implemented in such a short time and more or less done so with 0 major hiccups (which I think is something supremely understated considering they have very short implementation and testing windows before new league years start and are doing it for two fully functioning platforms in desktop and mobile app. IMO, they've already lapped basically every other fantasy host site other than MFL. And about half of my old MFL friends have transitioned already to sleeper and are happy they did.

Their growth rate every year is crazy, and they've implemented some revenue generating things in the app (that you don't have to use or even interact with if you don't want), so I think it will only get better even faster moving forward. Fact is, majority of fantasy players primarily play from phone apps, and Sleepers is the best hands down. And MFL doesn't have one they run. And the ones I used when I was in MFL were janky AF with huge headaches for me as commish like not saving line up changes. Was a nightmare for me. If that isn't important to you or any of your league mates, just stick with MFL. Or like I said, if you have some crazy convoluted settings, but outside DEVY (which tbh still isn't really that popular in the community) they pretty much have everything covered settings wise. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's an option in another 2-3 years.

Used to use MFL and loved it. Now using Sleeper and I'm shocked at how little I miss everything else. App and website both work fine for the past three seasons.

I do think MFL is priced reasonably, even with the increases. It's still not even $10 a team, even for a 10-team league. Good value and I support anyone who pays the increase. Only issue I have is, if the free product is that good, why bother with anything else?
How does Sleeper deal with blind bid waivers, then back to first-come-first-serve and then back to blind bid waivers, both during the offseason and in-season? What about locking of players whose games have started on Thurs, but allow pickups of players before other players games have started? What about custom players for a DEVY league? Someone already said they don't retain league history.
Sleeper does retain league history. You can view previous league years in their entirety, including the chat. They don't track some of the fun things like MFL like "highest scoring week ever in league history" etc. but I'm sure it would not be hard for them to do seeing as all the data is there. They just have a list of priority things they try to implement every offseason, so something like that is probably further down the list.

They have numerous waiver settings and you can change them throughout the year. We do FCFS after draft, blind waivers once a week for the later portion of the offseason, then blind bid waivers 3 times a week during. There are options for player locks. We have players lock at kick off of their games and FCFS starting one hour prior to kickoff of Sunday games so people can replace late declare injuries or outs for later games/Monday games.

I don't know about creating custom players. I do know DEVY is on the aforementioned short list of additions. This past year it was auction draft capabilities. A few years before that it was adding Dynasty.

I used MFL for years and I'm not intending this as a knock against them; but Sleeper started hosting leagues in 2017 and have added more features and options in the past 6 years than MFL did as long as I used them. People with hyper complicated leagues and tons of unique settings would most likely not find what they need there. But I would comfortably throw a "yet" at the end of that sentence. For the size of the team they've had working there, and they fact they started as, and still remain, free to use I'm super impressed with what they've implemented in such a short time and more or less done so with 0 major hiccups (which I think is something supremely understated considering they have very short implementation and testing windows before new league years start and are doing it for two fully functioning platforms in desktop and mobile app. IMO, they've already lapped basically every other fantasy host site other than MFL. And about half of my old MFL friends have transitioned already to sleeper and are happy they did.

Their growth rate every year is crazy, and they've implemented some revenue generating things in the app (that you don't have to use or even interact with if you don't want), so I think it will only get better even faster moving forward. Fact is, majority of fantasy players primarily play from phone apps, and Sleepers is the best hands down. And MFL doesn't have one they run. And the ones I used when I was in MFL were janky AF with huge headaches for me as commish like not saving line up changes. Was a nightmare for me. If that isn't important to you or any of your league mates, just stick with MFL. Or like I said, if you have some crazy convoluted settings, but outside DEVY (which tbh still isn't really that popular in the community) they pretty much have everything covered settings wise. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's an option in another 2-3 years.
No DEVY, no me for at lest 1 league. I'm hearing mixed results about Sleeper otherwise.

Sure. Not the point. Serious question - do you work there or are you friends with someone that does? Seems like you are emotionally running to their defense when the complaints are legitimate,

It is the point though as he was replying to a question about the price. The price change for MFL represents an 84 cent increase per team in the league for a 12 team league. That's pretty minimal for a product integral to 4 to 6 months of fun.

I don't think one would have to work there to think that.

They offer a specific product that's super customizable and for leagues that want that, it's a great fit. There are certainly less expensive options if you don't need the flexibility.

No, if the product is reasonably priced and provides all the necessary software needs for our league, and as commissioner who is familiar with MFL, why would I change? It is my understanding that Sleeper isn't DEVY friendly. Well, that is a deal breaker.

But wasn't their early bird always $10 off and now it's $30 off? Seems to offset this pretty good.

But wasn't their early bird always $10 off and now it's $30 off? Seems to offset this pretty good.

In the end it costs $10 more than with the FBG discount last year.

Users who are viewing this thread