What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Bennett to the Saints (1 Viewer)

jeter23

Footballguy
KFFL) Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the New Orleans Saints have reached a contract agreement with free agent RB Michael Bennett (Vikings). Bennett, who will serve as the primary backup to RB Deuce McAllister, will sign a two-year contract worth $3 million. The deal also includes a $1 million signing bonus. Bennett can also earn $1 million in incentives in each year of the deal.

This is actually a pretty good situation for him. Pretty cut and dry. Duece McAllister gets hurt, Bennett is the man.

:wall: These idiots are going to make me get season tickets again.

Looks like a very reasonable contract for a proven player to slip into the change of pace role that Aaron Stecker filled. Also, the injury to KR Michael Lewis last year probably means that they plan on using Bennett for kick return duty.

Last edited by a moderator:
This tells me also that the market for FA starting RBs is pretty much done. If Bennett is jumping on a backup role with the Saints, that means he didn't think Indy would be interested in bringing him in to compete for the starting job.

Anybody have any early projections on how many carries Bennett should get? I just joined a deep dynasty league so any projections would help.

Anybody have any early projections on how many carries Bennett should get? I just joined a deep dynasty league so any projections would help.
I think it all depends on Deuce. If he's the player that New Orleans wants him to be than Bennett will be a role player. Yet, if Deuce gets hurt or doesn't play as well as expected than Bennett will surely get more carries. It's really a crap shoot to guess Bennett's numbers but with Deuce in the way his chances of being a fantasy factor are a little thin.

It's just a guess since we don't know how Payton plans on running the offense yet. Deuce is still the Bell cow and I'd imagine Bennett will be used on 3rd downs and as a kick return. I'd guess 5-7 carries per game and 1-2 receptions.

Anybody have any insight/info per if Deuce will be ready to go in Week 1?

Last edited by a moderator:
He should be ready to play, but he probably won't play particularly well until the second half of the season...

He should be ready to play, but he probably won't play particularly well until the second half of the season...
I agree. Usually when a RB is coming back from this type of injury they are slow starting. So I can see Bennett having more value the first half of the season. Also, it gives NO the option to not rush Deuce back. Bennett "could" be in line for some extra carries early.

:thumbup: I'm not a fan of Bennet, but adding him as Deuce's backup makes a lot of sense. Doesn't seem like a huge contract either.

The Saints have made a couple decent moves now.

I love this signing. Not from a fantasy perspective, but as a closet Saint cheerer, I think this makes the team much more complete from a depth perspective.

:thumbup: I'm not a fan of Bennet, but adding him as Deuce's backup makes a lot of sense. Doesn't seem like a huge contract either.

The Saints have made a couple decent moves now.
Agreed.I also like the Anthony Simmons signing from a few hours ago. I only wish they made an effort to keep Bentley.

I think he is a decent player to try to get cheap. Deuce will have difficulties at the beginning of the season. Even when he regains his form (if he can), he has an injury history and Bennett will most likely see the ball 5-8 times a game to keep him fresh.

So where do the Saints go now with the #2? They obviously won't take Leinart and now definately won't take a RB...do they trade out?

So where do the Saints go now with the #2? They obviously won't take Leinart and now definately won't take a RB...do they trade out?
they signed simmons today as well, to solidify the LB corps. if he's healthy, he can be very productive. between this and fujita signing last week, the saints are improving that position. the jets landing ramsey likely cuts them out of the running to move or make a play for 1.2/leinart. if they get an offer from a team (raiders, baltimore, cardinals and minnesota are candidates i think), likely they will drop down. if they have to stay at 1.2 then d'brick is the obvious choice. all of this talk about williams is bunk to me.

So where do the Saints go now with the #2?  They obviously won't take Leinart and now definately won't take a RB...do they trade out?
they signed simmons today as well, to solidify the LB corps. if he's healthy, he can be very productive. between this and fujita signing last week, the saints are improving that position. the jets landing ramsey likely cuts them out of the running to move or make a play for 1.2/leinart. if they get an offer from a team (raiders, baltimore, cardinals and minnesota are candidates i think), likely they will drop down. if they have to stay at 1.2 then d'brick is the obvious choice. all of this talk about williams is bunk to me.
VERY :goodposting: As a Jet fan, I would love to see D'Brick, but unless the 'Aints get a king's randsom for #2, they would be wise (and probably will) pick D'Brick.

With that crap out of the way, it is time for Saints fans to prepare for the Revolution...

Users who are viewing this thread