What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Vick Bandwagon rolling like a freight train (1 Viewer)

12/21/10 Update: Wow! What a year. To many in this thread this was quite a year! A nice 40ish pt week 16 (in one half largely) a 50ish pt week on MNF saving seasons for many. Some of you rightly owe me a small tithe of your playoff winnings for tipping you off to the 'new age vick' after week ONE! All kidding asideif you feel like showing appreciation clicking a few ads on my blogs would be a quick and easy way of actually paying me back for the thread (actually part of a larger idea I have stumbled onto-- will be posting a thread likely in the FFA, maybe link it here if they allow it in the postseason)

http://hipplesfantasyinjuryinfostatsetc.blogspot.com/

Good luck to all in week 16! Not bad to get the possible MVP/#1 dynasty prospect off the WW huh! :thumbup:

Well it's about that Time. Kolb looks to be on the shelf, and my sacrifical lamb lions are on deck. Not to mention The Philly C is out. This is gonna have the feel of an SEC-MAC college game, but there will be tons of offense out of vick, especially rushing.

Look what the bears did last week with lil screens and stuff. Now it's gonna be Vick. and I watched that last game. Vick was A tad rusty, but he still has IT, and he still has that extra gear. And the Lions offense will likely put him in good positions as well.

Choo Choo

Kolb being evaluated; Vick expected to get start for Eagles

Vinnie Iyer

Sporting News

The Eagles probably will be without two key starters for Sunday's game at Detroit. Quarterback Kevin Kolb and middle linebacker Stewart Bradley, who both sustained concussions in the Week 1 home loss to Green Bay, are unlikely to be cleared to play.

Eagles coach Andy Reid reiterated Monday that the team has no controversy at quarterback and Kolb would start if healthy. Until then, backup Michael Vick would continue to play.

"Let me state it again, I know I'm using poor English here, Kevin Kolb is the No. 1 quarterback," Reid said.

Kolb and Bradley were administered post-concussion tests Monday. Neither passed, and both were sent home from team headquarters. Coach Andy Reid told reporters that neither player was "feeling well" the morning after Sunday’s game.

Kolb and Bradley each will get two more chances to take the test this week, on Wednesday and then Friday. Each must pass that test as well as another neurological exam administered by an independent doctor before being allowed to practice.

Reid said Monday he doesn't expect either Kolb or Bradley to be available to practice before Friday, at the earliest.

Vick is expected to take all of the team's first-team reps in practice Wednesday and Thursday and is projected to make his first start as an Eagle against the Lions. Vick last started an NFL game Dec. 31, 2006 -- as an Atlanta Falcon against Philadelphia.

Omar Gaither is expected to start at middle linebacker while Bradley is out. Gaither started three games last season and was the Eagles' full-time starter at the position in '07 and '08.

Bradley was injured Sunday when he crashed his head into the leg of fellow linebacker Ernie Sims. In trying to get up, he collapsed back to the ground. Kolb was ridden hard to the ground by Packers linebacker Clay Matthews.

The Eagles are getting some criticism for allowing both players to briefly re-enter the game in the first half. While Bradley was initially cleared to return, Kolb's injury was announced to be related to his jaw.

Both players were kept out of the second half, after it was determined they each had been concussed.

The NFL Players Association looked into the Eagles' handling of Kolb's and Bradley's injuries, according to ESPN. In doing so, NFLPA medical director Dr. Thom Mayer cleared the team of any wrongdoing, noting they followed the proper procedure.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2010-...s#ixzz0zZm363dO

Last edited by a moderator:
Vick will start ONE week and ONLY one week unless Kolb is hurt again. So this train wont be going very far unless that happens. Philly did not trade McNabb to a rival and give Kolb a raise to NOT play him. Vick did look OK but he still has the worst accuracy on any NFL QB and the Philly offense requires a fairly accurate passer. This post will have more life come 2011.

Vick will start ONE week and ONLY one week unless Kolb is hurt again. So this train wont be going very far unless that happens. Philly did not trade McNabb to a rival and give Kolb a raise to NOT play him. Vick did look OK but he still has the worst accuracy on any NFL QB and the Philly offense requires a fairly accurate passer. This post will have more life come 2011.
That and the fact that Vick looked far better than Kolb when they were in. Vick is hungry. The kind of hungry you get from sitting in prison. Once he shows what he can do it'll be hard to get him off the field.

That and the fact that Vick looked far better than Kolb when they were in. Vick is hungry. The kind of hungry you get from sitting in prison. Once he shows what he can do it'll be hard to get him off the field.
No it won't. Reid will insert Kolb back into the starting lineup as soon as possible regardless of what Vick accomplishes on any given weekend.

Amazes me how little people realize the attitude of certain veteran head coaches.

Andy Reid has a massive ego - almost as big as his gut ... Kolb is his guy. Kolb is going to start in 2010 - every game except when he's hurt. If he's healthy, he's the starter. I don't care if the Eagles are 0-14. Kolb is the starter in 2010 and 2011.

Don't listen to DonnyG, he just became a Patriots fan like two years ago and doesn't know much. Vick ends up their QB.

Who has the stones to start him? And over what other QB?

I think he can put up some solid numbers, and has a better than even chance of breaking 50 yards rushing, with a good shot at a score. Still will likely see my bench, though.

Who has the stones to start him? And over what other QB?I think he can put up some solid numbers, and has a better than even chance of breaking 50 yards rushing, with a good shot at a score. Still will likely see my bench, though.
Starting him with confidence over Palmer (BAL)Young (PIT) :thumbup:

KK will be the starter, but he he stay healthy behind that putrid o-line? Does Reid continue to shuffle Vick in and out of the lineup?

DonnyT33 said:
Whether or not he gets more than the one week, the bolded is just plain ridiculous.Derek Anderson anyone?

I got Romo and McNabb, I dont see Vick surplanting either of them on my roster however if you have a scrub for a backup or if you are in a deep league this might be your big break moment and you need to grab Vick.

Hipple said:
DonnyT33 said:
Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.

I got Romo and McNabb, I dont see Vick surplanting either of them on my roster however if you have a scrub for a backup or if you are in a deep league this might be your big break moment and you need to grab Vick.
In less than 3 quarters of football, Vick probably came close to outscoring Romo and McNabb combined in week 1.

In less than 3 quarters of football, Vick probably came close to outscoring Romo and McNabb combined in week 1.
Defense didnt game plan him. Vick is not that good. I have had him as a fanstasy QB starter in the past in my format.

I'll probably catch hell for it, but I'm starting him over Brady vs Jets this week. If week 2 were played out 1000 times I feel confident this would prove to be the correct choice.

This week, Vicks over/under is probably around 1.5 passing TDs and Brady maybe around 2.0. I think the rushing ability of Vick is the difference.

From a FF perspective Vick is a must start. I figure that they bring back Kolb as soon as he is cleared, maybe next week.

As a Kolb owner I snagged Vick. I got a feeling Mr.Kolb isnt going to make it through the season

The Packers players said after the game they did game plan for Vick, must have expected him to take snaps.

They game planned him for how the Eagles had been using him not as an every down starter. Big difference IMO. Not saying Vick isnt a great option this week, he is! But you have the Kolb uncertainty as well. Who would you drop for Vick? McNabb? I wouldnt. McNabb is a lock to be there for me when Romo has his bye, Vick? Too much uncertainty to dump a player with real value. I have Vincent Jackson on my bench and I think he has more long term potential than Vick as a FF player.

Footballguys is telling me to start him over Brees VS the Niners this week. I highly doubt that is going to happen. :thumbup:

nysportsfan said:
Who has the stones to start him? And over what other QB?I think he can put up some solid numbers, and has a better than even chance of breaking 50 yards rushing, with a good shot at a score. Still will likely see my bench, though.
If I pick him up, Id consider starting him over Favre this week.

Mike Vick, the hope of everyone who used the "draft a QB late" stratagy.

what is the probability that he starts this week? I've read that Kolb is out of practice until at least Friday. I'd guess the chances are low...thoughts?

what is the probability that he starts this week? I've read that Kolb is out of practice until at least Friday. I'd guess the chances are low...thoughts?
I can't imagine an eagles team needing a win, would trot Kolb out on sunday with little to no practice this week. Vick is pretty much a lock.

I did this in my 2 qb league and I ended up with Young, Big Ben and a gaggle of crap. If some how Vick starts for at least the next couple weeks, that could save me a loss or two until Big Ben gets back. I've owned Vick various times in the past and he was probably the most under appreciated player in fantasy football.

are people really gonna start him over Romo, Cutler, and Brady? :mellow:
Why is that so hard to believe? Romo's line is in shambles and I doubt Garrett really wants to throw the ball 50 times again next week. Cutler is going against a good Cowboys defense and Brady is going against the BEST defense against the pass. Vick on the other hand, is going against a cupcake and looked better than all 3 last week.

I got him in for a one week start, at the moment. Over VY, Ben's riding the pine. The upside of this matchup is trough the roof, so a no brainer when my 1 other qb is playing Pitt.

Isnt that the point of the "draft a QB late" strategy? To scour the waiver wire and hope to find gold, while stocking up at talent at the other position through draft picks?

Defense didnt game plan him. Vick is not that good. I have had him as a fanstasy QB starter in the past in my format.
Recheck the stats. Does your league penalize for rushing yards or something?

pretend Vick goes 16 of 26 for160 yards and 1 TD and 12 rushes for 85 yards and 2 TD's

you think Kolb starts week 3 ?

yeah right

Luckily I was able to get the waiver claim for Vick. Kolb and McNabb are rostered. The scenario I'm hoping for is Vick lighting it up this week, Kolb stinking it up the next 3-4 weeks and McNabb holding me over until Reid makes Vick the No. 1. :boxing:

pretend Vick goes 16 of 26 for160 yards and 1 TD and 12 rushes for 85 yards and 2 TD'syou think Kolb starts week 3 ?yeah right
Kolb would definitely start in Week 3. There is nothing Vick can do to make Reid give up on Kolb after bailing on McNabb. Too much ego.Edit: After the losses start to pile up he will eventually give in.

Seat Reserved.

This guy has star potential... full blown QB contraversy after this game. Fans will boo next time Kolb trots out there as the starter...

Here is the situation with Michael Vick in a nutshell:

1. Vick is the better QB right now. He has more tools, more experience, and brings more to the table. He is a proven successful NFL QB.

2. Kolb is Reid's hand-picked successor to McNabb. He made the decision to ditch McNabb, and now he HAS to roll with Kolb.

3. So Kolb will get every opportunity to win this job. But Andy Reid can't be ridiculous here. If Vick dominates vs the Lions, and Kolb stinks it up in week 3, there will be immense pressure from an unforgiving fanbase.

4. In re-draft leagues, Vick represents a very interesting gamble.

5. In dynasty leagues, you need him on your roster. He will be a starting QB in 2011.

Picked up Vick for a 1-week start in both my leagues. Starting him over Cutler, Ryan, and Orton in one league and over Schaub in the other.

Users who are viewing this thread