What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (2 Viewers)

I just submitted a single song entry to make sure the weird characters don't break anything. There's no way for us to preview it is there?

Like many people, I was first introduced to Elliott Smith through the movie Good Will Hunting. I was in college and remember watching the credits the see who was singing these soft, lo-fi, and frail songs. He immediately became one of my favorite artists and has remained so for the last 20 plus years.

I have finally pared down Elliott Smith discography into 31 songs. I could easily make the case for an additional 31 songs to make the list. This was so much harder than I expected. I decided to not use any B-sides, unreleased songs, or covers, despite the fact that some would most certainly be on my top 31 list. I tried to make this list for someone who maybe doesn't know Elliott's work that well. I grabbed songs from every album and a few from his band Heatmiser, that predated his solo work. Hopefully, this will be a wide swath of his best works. I still haven't ranked the 31 chosen tracks. That's going to be a whole other chore. Anyway for those that are familiar with Elliott Smith's work, here is a breakdown of my 31 songs by album.

Roman Candle- 2 Tracks

Self-Titled - 6 Tracks

Either/Or- 4 Tracks

XO- 4 Tracks

Figure 8- 4 Tracks

From a Basement on a Hill- 3 Tracks

New Moon- 3 Tracks

Good Will Hunting Soundtrack- 1 Track

Heatmiser works- 4 Tracks

A song that would have made my list if not for my parameters would be the cover of Big Star's Thirteen. Here it is for your time...

Elliott Smith- Thirteen

I decided to not use any B-sides, unreleased songs, or covers, despite the fact that some would most certainly be on my top 31 list.
This seems counterintuitive.
Agreed... but I could get into to some deep cuts that might turn off anyone who doesn't know his work. Just decided to try to make a more inclusive list. Idk might not be the right approach :shrug:
Personally I'd like to see your top 31. As someone who knows little to nothing of the artist, that would be intriguing to me.
In fact, I'd consider them all to be "deep cuts" :D

I decided to not use any B-sides, unreleased songs, or covers, despite the fact that some would most certainly be on my top 31 list.
Agreed... but I could get into to some deep cuts that might turn off anyone who doesn't know his work. Just decided to try to make a more inclusive list. Idk might not be the right approach :shrug:
There is no "right" or "wrong" approach. If you think "a more inclusive list" is the best path to go, then do it.

There is no "right" or "wrong" approach. If you think "a more inclusive list" is the best path to go, then do it.
Personally I put no thought into what others might think of my rankings. I probably left a song or two out others would have included (and might argue should have been included) and added songs I liked more.
I'm sure I have "The Mariner's Revenge Song" way, way, way lower than most fans would. Doesn't matter to me; I have my reasons (which will get to in the discussions).

Still ranking the Sigur Ros songs, but have 31 picked. Album coverage is below.

Von - 1997 - Their debut album, and one very few people regard with their good work. It's like Pablo Honey x 10. I have 1 song from the album because there are a handful of songs from Von that the band plays live, but the kicker is they sound like completely different songs and one of them is pretty good.

Ágætis byrjun - 1999 - Their second and possibly best album. Pretty accessible for newcomers. I have 7 of the album's 10 tracks on my list.

() - 2002 - Known as The Untitled Album, the tracks on this one are all untitled too, but the band has given unofficial names to them. Some of their most powerful and emotionally charged music here, including one song that has been their live show finale for over 20 years. 5 tracks are included on my list.

Takk - 2005 - Another slight change to the band's sound here, they start experimenting with changing time signatures, and adding more strings. 4 tracks included.

Hvarf/Heim - 2007 - This compilation album accompanied their first concert film. Has a few B sides and live tracks. 2 tracks from here.

Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust - 2008 - I can't pronounce that. In another change of direction, their music on this album loses a bit of the ethereal in favor of shorter, fancier, "poppier" songs. All in all great stuff. 5 tracks from here.

Valtari - 2012 - Back to the ethereal and minimalistic, this isn't one of my favorites save for one incredible track I am including.

Kveikur - 2013 - Another change in sound, now back to shorter, pop sounding rock songs with plenty of hooks. Also a lot darker sounding, heavy on the bass and percussion. One review said it sounded like music made in a blacksmith. Probably the most accessible album to newcomers. Once again, a new sound works really well for them. I chose 6 tracks from this album.

() - 2002 - Known as The Untitled Album, the tracks on this one are all untitled too, but the band has given unofficial names to them. Some of their most powerful and emotionally charged music here, including one song that has been their live show finale for over 20 years. 5 tracks are included on my list.
I must have gotten them later than I thought, because this was one of the two LPs I bought. The other was the '99 album.

I've listened to every Blur and Gorillaz studio album except Parklife which I've listened to a hundred times and am saving for last.

There are three live albums and a bunch of remixes to go but I may skip those since my longlist is already at 92 songs. :bag:

I decided to not use any B-sides, unreleased songs, or covers, despite the fact that some would most certainly be on my top 31 list. I tried to make this list for someone who maybe doesn't know Elliott's work that well.

A song that would have made my list if not for my parameters would be the cover of Big Star's Thirteen. Here it is for your time...

Elliott Smith- Thirteen
That's a nice cover. I don't think you can go wrong with sharing any of Elliott's work. I want to hear the songs that you love, whether they are obscure or popular. Mix it up, and that way you are sharing a little bit of both.

Like many people, I was first introduced to Elliott Smith through the movie Good Will Hunting. I was in college and remember watching the credits the see who was singing these soft, lo-fi, and frail songs. He immediately became one of my favorite artists and has remained so for the last 20 plus years.

I have finally pared down Elliott Smith discography into 31 songs. I could easily make the case for an additional 31 songs to make the list. This was so much harder than I expected. I decided to not use any B-sides, unreleased songs, or covers, despite the fact that some would most certainly be on my top 31 list. I tried to make this list for someone who maybe doesn't know Elliott's work that well. I grabbed songs from every album and a few from his band Heatmiser, that predated his solo work. Hopefully, this will be a wide swath of his best works. I still haven't ranked the 31 chosen tracks. That's going to be a whole other chore. Anyway for those that are familiar with Elliott Smith's work, here is a breakdown of my 31 songs by album.

Roman Candle- 2 Tracks

Self-Titled - 6 Tracks

Either/Or- 4 Tracks

XO- 4 Tracks

Figure 8- 4 Tracks

New Moon- 3 Tracks

Elliott Smith- Thirteen
Nice, I haven’t given much listen to him since the Napster/Limewire days stealing whatever I could find. Now that I have access to the full catalogue, will be cool to dig in. Elliot Smith is cited as a huge influence on the singer-songwriter that fronts my band, Big Thief.

Roman Candle- 2 Tracks

Self-Titled - 6 Tracks

Either/Or- 4 Tracks

XO- 4 Tracks

Figure 8- 4 Tracks

New Moon- 3 Tracks

Elliott Smith- Thirteen
Nice, I haven’t given much listen to him since the Napster/Limewire days stealing whatever I could find. Now that I have access to the full catalogue, will be cool to dig in. Elliot Smith is cited as a huge influence on the singer-songwriter that fronts my band, Big Thief.
I dont know much of Big Thief's Catalog, so I'm looking forward to your list and diving into a new band.

Haven't even started ranking.
Still have 3 weeks and a few days. Have to imagine you already have this list in your head.

I started jotting some down in my phone and there was way too many. So I'm procrastinating.
Paranoid the doctor ran,
Shouting his graphic translation
All out of order
Are you with me Doctor Wu,
Are you merely just a shadow of the man that I once knew?
Are you crazy, are you high?
Or just an ordinary guy?

A few more came in and we have 17 lists in right now. 1/3 in and 3+ weeks left.
All the lists have formatted for the board great. Title, press return, song link on next line.

New Binky the Doormat
Don Quixote
JPalmer
JB Breakfast Club
Zegras11
The Dreaded Marco
Uruk-Hai
Yo Mama
Sullie
kupcho1
plinko
Galileo
higgins
Scoresman
Charlie Steiner
MAC_32
Ilov80s
rockaction

Todd RundgrenNew Binky the Doormat
Jorge Ben JorDon Quixote
Taylor SwiftJP
Brandi CarlileJB Breakfast Club
The PoliceZegras11
Modest MouseThe Dreaded Marco
Stevie WonderUruk-Hai
GenesisYo Mama
Stevie Ray VaughanSullie
The Decemberistskupcho1
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Deadplinko
The KinksGalileo
Rushhiggins
Sigur RósScoresman
Donald FagenCharlie Steiner
Green DayMAC_32
Big ThiefIlov80s
Daft Punk rockaction

So @New Binky the Doormat was the first to enter his list before we were able to figure out the best formatting to post the results on here. He had just the links. He just went in added added all the song titles and pressed return so links would be on second line. It came out perfect.

In that PM, I responded with all 31 of his songs showing up perfectly. Super easy to do this if anyone wants to see their list after putting it on the form. LMK

Also, it's 50/50 right now on people leaving Spotify links vs YT links. I don't care which one you use or even if you have some of one of them and the rest the other.

Odds are the playlist will be the post of each songs and you can click and listen as you like. Unless someone wants to volunteer to spotify them as best possible. My son volunteered, but he works night shift, so I don't think he'd be super reliable each day with his whacky schedule.

So @New Binky the Doormat was the first to enter his list before we were able to figure out the best formatting to post the results on here. He had just the links. He just went in added added all the song titles and pressed return so links would be on second line. It came out perfect.

In that PM, I responded with all 31 of his songs showing up perfectly. Super easy to do this if anyone wants to see their list after putting it on the form. LMK

Also, it's 50/50 right now on people leaving Spotify links vs YT links. I don't care which one you use or even if you have some of one of them and the rest the other.

Odds are the playlist will be the post of each songs and you can click and listen as you like. Unless someone wants to volunteer to spotify them as best possible. My son volunteered, but he works night shift, so I don't think he'd be super reliable each day with his whacky schedule.
I can probably chip in on Spotify lists for some of them.

I took Stevie Wonder, which is both the most predictable and boring choice I could have made. But I'm nothing if not boring and predictable.

Most of my chosen songs would be considered chalk (to me, anyway), but I have a few maybe-curveballs in there and one that's most likely going to be slammed when it's revealed.

I'm not gonna write a dissertation on this guy because I've done that several times here before and y'all don't need to read anymore of my pretentious crap. I'll throw in some unclever comments as my choices are revealed.

Other acts I considered: Grand Funk, the Temptations, Barry Manilow, John Cash.

I am not a Spotify user, but I have a freebie account so I submitted Spotify links and made a Spotify playlist of my Kinks list. Since I was struggling to narrow down my list to 31, I decided to make a bigger playlist to share out with those interested. I arbitrarily doubled it to 62 (still left out some worthy stuff). Anyway, if anyone is interested, I can share the link after the reveal plays out.

Going in, I thought the biggest 70s Peter Cetera ballad might crack my top 31, but upon further listen, I can't do it.

I was just reading a thread on Steve Hoffman Forums about Chicago yesterday and thought of your countdown. Actually, that's why I was reading it. It might wind up too experimental and prog-like for me, but I'll be interested in hearing these songs. Love their seventies hits.

Going in, I thought the biggest 70s Peter Cetera ballad might crack my top 31, but upon further listen, I can't do it.

I was just reading a thread on Steve Hoffman Forums about Chicago yesterday and thought of your countdown. Actually, that's why I was reading it. It might wind up too experimental and prog-like for me, but I'll be interested in hearing these songs. Love their seventies hits.
Right now, with one Kath and maybe three non-Kath albums to go, I think it's a good mix of the pop stuff and the experimental (but not too experimental) stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread