What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (1 Viewer)

I've never listened to Taylor Swift before. Listening to my co-workers choices, I might have to go see this show now.

I'm grateful for the long lead-in. I'm listening to the entire catalogue of my band. It takes time, and I don't want to overdose.

I'm also having a blast. And I don't get the stressing about order. No one else is going to know if you screwed up.

(Except maybe Binky.)
I don't think it is so much worry about others thinking you screwed up. Music is subjective. It is your list. It is OK if others think differently. For me it is more of a personal thing where I legitimately don't know which songs I like better. And when the catalog is very extensive, this gets even more messy because you are trying to decide between a dozen rather than 2. It is splitting hairs and so dependent on your mood in the moment. I might as well be flipping coins. If I knew I was making a list of 100, I wouldn't sweat the decisions, especially as you approach 31. But, it is done. I made decisions and submitted the list. But, I also extended my Spotify playlist to 62 songs, so I am ready for an extra month should the need arise!

I don’t think Marco was complaining, just stating a fact. You’ll drive yourself crazy if you perceive things as complaints when they aren’t.

As to “why are people making suggestions about this one that they didn’t on the other ones,” I suspect it’s mainly because what didn’t work for them about the other ones is fresh in their minds. Also: More experience = more feedback. It’s nothing to do with you specifically.
I will echo these sentiments, zegrass.

I will also say from my experience that this research was way easier than the others, for me at least. Fewer albums to go through, I am not stressing as much about the specific ranking, and even when I was it wasn't like I was trying decide between 2 wildly different types of music.

My co-worker submitted her list, the first chrono, and I had to ask if she "binky-ed" the order. She was like WTF is that?
We are just proud of you for having this embarassing conversation with a co-worker about what you do with your time outside of work with us nerds. We've all been there. :lol:

Every time I try to explain these drafts thingies to somebody = :mellow:
Aside from DrIanMalcolm, the only people I’ve told about these things are my wife and my best friend from work (with whom I talk about music all the time). Almost anyone else would greet this with blank stares and/or head shaking.

My co-worker submitted her list, the first chrono, and I had to ask if she "binky-ed" the order. She was like WTF is that?
We are just proud of you for having this embarassing conversation with a co-worker about what you do with your time outside of work with us nerds. We've all been there. :lol:

Every time I try to explain these drafts thingies to somebody = :mellow:
Aside from DrIanMalcolm, the only people I’ve told about these things are my wife and my best friend from work (with whom I talk about music all the time). Almost anyone else would greet this with blank stares and/or head shaking.
Forget co-workers, I have not even told my wife about this.

Also, Brother Ray has some songs that have more than one version. On Spotify I want specific versions to be used. Do I write down what that version is inside the same block that the youtube video is to be placed in?

I don't understand what you mean by "Inside the same block that the youtube video is to be place in."

On the form, write the song title. Press Return.

On the next line, put the URL link to the song that you want others to hear.

That's it. It's no different than PM'ing me the exact same thing.
I usually use YouTube links, because not everyone uses Spotify, and for me YouTube doesn't stall my computer like a single Spotify link does. A Spotify playlist, however, doesn't stall it as much. So, along with the YouTube link, I wanted to specify which version on Spotify I want used in the playlist. I am not sure where to write that.

Last edited:
Simey I feel like you should be able to just do another carriage return and add another link

But I’m no expert

Simey I feel like you should be able to just do another carriage return and add another link

But I’m no expert
Thanks. Maybe I'll experiment. By the way, I read your question about covers, and if I do mine, I will have covers and originals.
Please don't do this until I test it and see if it works. If it doesn't work, then I save us both a lot of work.

Please don't do this until I test it and see if it works. If it doesn't work, then I save us both a lot of work.
I haven't attempted to do anything with that sheet yet. If I can type in the same block above or below the YouTube link "Please use the version on the so and so album for the Spotify playlist" that would be just fine. If I can do that. Maybe it is just too much of a PIA.

I don't have any Ray instrumentals in my 31 songs, but there is one I would have liked to have shared two days ago if I had been here. It is in honor of a couple fallen friends, and another who is still here with us and continues to carry on their love for horse racing. The roses still haven't wilted yet, and I may be late but my intentions are great, so in belated spirit of the Run for the Roses 🌹, this tune goes out to Wikkid, MoCs, and otb. One Mint Julep. That is Mr. Ray Charles Robinson, Sr on the Hammond B-3 organ.

Thanks for this, it just was frustrating because you were not happy me saying no artist changes. Five others also asked also after the deadline. And If I took changes, then probably half would. It would never end and we'd go past your three months :-)

Don't really understand this, though. If the deadline is June 6 (or whatever it is), then whatever artist someone submits is their artist. Changes don't extend the timing at all. And since you're not inputting anyone's info nor having to do any tracking or calculations that would change, I don't see why it matters. However, I've been drinking and watching the Kraken KILL, so I might be missing it. :lol:
Really impressive what the kraken have done in short order. Didn't think it was possible

I've never listened to Taylor Swift before. Listening to my co-workers choices, I might have to go see this show now.
I'm also quite interested in hearing this particular list. I only know here hits and have never even attempted to listen to anything outside of that. Maybe this will change my mind.

Hey @simey how was MerleFest?
It was fun, except for too much rain on Thursday and a lot on Friday. Thankfully it stopped raining late Friday afternoon. It did rain again some Sunday Morning. There were several acts I missed. I didn't get to see Little Feat or Brothers of a Feather (Black Crowes basically). They were on Thursday night, and it rained so hard it was hard to see to drive, and I had to find a house in a remote area of the mountains in the dark, and my friends that were supposed to meet me that night had to put their dog down late in the day, and I didn't see them until the next day. You met Jeanette in Charleston. It was her dog. Anyway, some of my favorites that I did see was Marcus King, The Avett Brothers, Del McCoury Band, The Black Opry Revue, and Tanya Tucker. Tanya Tucker has a funny personality, and she was entertaining. John Prine's son, Tommy, was good. He is a singer-songwriter like his dad. I don't know her music well, but Maren Morris gave a good show. . I also liked Tommy Emmanuel, Della Mae, and some others. I always like seeing what new rhinestone suit Jim Lauderdale is wearing. It was Doc Watson's 100th birthday celebration, so there was a great jam done on stage with Peter Rowan, Sam Bush, Tommy Emmanuel, and many others. The Hillside Album Hour (which is on Saturday and The Waybacks and guest play a classic rock album) was Who's Next this year. The lead singer from Della Mae sang lead on a lot of the songs, and she nailed the scream twice in You Won't Get Fooled Again.

Starting to rank my list, so here' a brief primer on Sigur Ros for those new.

Sigur Ros is an Icelandic post rock band that’s been around since 1994. They are mainly known for their ethereal sound, booming crescendos, falsetto lead vocals, and their use of reverb accentuated guitar using a cello's bow. Usual descriptions for them are that they are kind of like Radiohead, only from Iceland and possibly sound like elves or forest fairies. Bjork is not a member of the band. She’s the other Icelandic musical act. They got their first record deal because they thought the falsetto vocals of frontman Jonsi would appeal to teenage girls. Their work has appeared in Vanilla Sky, The Life Aquatic, various film/TV trailers, one of those Planet Earth documentaries, and they also made an appearance in Game of Thrones where they performed for about 10 seconds before Joffrey starts throwing food at them.

While Sigur Ros incorporates more vocals than typically heard in post-rock, most of them are sung in Icelandic. The rest of their songs are sung in “Hopelandic”, which is a gibberish language used to match the melody and rhythm of the music.

They’ve taken a number of direction changes with their albums, going from complete ambience to cheerless droning post-rock, to shorter, happier, more pop-sounding songs, back to droning post-rock, to their latest album which almost seems like a statement from their bass player and drummer after years of living in frontman Jonsi’s shadow. If you’re new to the band and end up interested, I suggest starting with either Ágætis Byrjun or Takk. They are probably the most accessible albums. If you are already hardcore into post-rock, starting with () or Valtari works too. Stay away from their first album, Von. The band considered it a disappointment as soon as it was released, and most of us just forget it exists.

I could go on and on how much I love the music this band creates. I listen to a lot of music, but nothing really hits the spot like these guys do. When you fall for this music, you really fall deep into it. It’s ironic that I don’t understand a word frontman Jonsi is singing, yet their music invokes more emotion and meaning to me than anything else I can think of. Known for being one of the best live acts today, I’ve seen many people leave concerts either in tears or in complete silence still processing what they just heard while picking their jaws up from the floor. That said, there have also been a number of people I’ve introduced the band to who don’t get it at all, which I also totally understand. Part of the reason why I chose them is just to see the responses which I’m sure will vary.

I will be ranking 31 songs from least to most favorite. If people also want something chronological, I could do that too. Ranking and ordering will be difficult as Sigur Ros is very much an “album” band. I’ve rarely just hit shuffle on them. So this will be an interesting exercise. I will comment on each song and include, where applicable, a corresponding live performance and music video. The live performances are usually longer, as expected, pushing the envelope for inclusion in a playlist. But they are absolutely essential if you like the songs. They will be separate though. Most of these will be taken from their concert film, Heima. Where possible, I will also include lyric translations in the writeups.

I ran across Sigur Ros back in the late '90s.

Remember those listening booths at Tower Records? They'd have like 6 CDs by 6 different artists in each that someone who worked there thought would link together. I can't recall which artist I knew in the booth that day, but I played one of Sigur Ros' after listening to whoever I was there for. I had never heard of them and thought "this is some wild ****". I either bought 2 of their CDs that day, or bought one and another a week or two later. I don't remember the title of either CD. One was really ethereal and I liked that one a lot. I remember the other being different and not liking it as much.

Remember those listening booths at Tower Records? They'd have like 6 CDs by 6 different artists in each that someone who worked there thought would link together. I can't recall which artist I knew in the booth that day, but I played one of Sigur Ros' after listening to whoever I was there for. I had never heard of them and thought "this is some wild ****". I either bought 2 of their CDs that day, or bought one and another a week or two later. I don't remember the title of either CD. One was really ethereal and I liked that one a lot. I remember the other being different and not liking it as much.

Has to be Von and Ágætis Byrjun if this is late 90s. The duo is basically their Pablo Honey and OK Computer. You forget one exists and the other might be their best.

I'm surprised Von would even be at a Tower Records in the US. It initially only sold 300 copies in Iceland.

Has to be Von and Ágætis Byrjun if this is late 90s. The duo is basically their Pablo Honey and OK Computer. You forget one exists and the other might be their best.

I'm surprised Von would even be at a Tower Records in the US. It initially only sold 300 copies in Iceland.
I can't even remember what it sounded like.....just that it wasn't my thing. I doubt I played it more than 2 or 3 times. I really liked the other, though. I know it was '97 or '98, because I was still married to my first wife and I remember her saying "what the hell is that?" (when I played the one I liked).

Maybe I bought the unliked CD a couple of years later and my memory is continuing to fail me, but it sure seems like I got them at around the same time.

I've only been skimming the thread for the past 5 or so pages and have multiple PMs about this. What is going on? Am I missing something? I thought this didn't start for like a month.

I've only been skimming the thread for the past 5 or so pages and have multiple PMs about this. What is going on? Am I missing something? I thought this didn't start for like a month.
Still June 6. See pm on how to send lists in.

PM sent

Sorry I padded the group PM the other day, I thought it was just a special PM for me :bag:

I'm with the program now and will also stop namedropping potential next-time ideas

Tonight I begin the process of listening to the nine Chicago studio albums that Terry Kath appeared on (ending with Chicago XI, as Chicago IV was a live album (with poor sound quality) and Chicago IX was a greatest hits album) and ranking all their tracks against each other. (I may also do this with the three transitional albums that came after Terry Kath's death but before the '80s megaballads, but I make no promises on that.)

I don't really need to do this with the debut, Chicago Transit Authority, because I've heard it so many times and the vast majority of it is amazing, but if I'm going to go in order, why skip over the best one?

Testing has been completed...

Walking On The Moon

Line 1 - Song name
press return
Line 2 - Song link
press return
Line 3- song link
any comments must go on Line 1 with the Song Name. I'd prefer that comments are posted when the song gets posted as I think that will add to more discussion. If you would like to PM your comments, I'll add them after I make the daily post.

Also, the weird thing is if you don't put the Song Title on LIne 1, the fancy display doesn't work. Have no idea why that is.

OK I "cheated" a little.
The song I selected as #31 is by no means the Decemberists 31st best song, but after adding the videos I put it there to get off to an awesome, raucous start.
I think you're gonna dig it.
I used #31 as a kind of bonus track as well, just to set up some comments I want to make.

OK I "cheated" a little.
The song I selected as #31 is by no means the Decemberists 31st best song, but after adding the videos I put it there to get off to an awesome, raucous start.
I think you're gonna dig it.
I debated something similar with a song that is more of an “opener,” as I enjoy it more as the opening track of an album and sets up the concept of that album a bit. Tentatively put it where I think it belongs in a list of favorites, but still over-thinking it.

Walking On The Moon

Line 1 - Song name
press return
Line 2 - Song link
press return
Line 3- song link
any comments must go on Line 1 with the Song Name. I'd prefer that comments are posted when the song gets posted as I think that will add to more discussion. If you would like to PM your comments, I'll add them after I make the daily post.

Also, the weird thing is if you don't put the Song Title on LIne 1, the fancy display doesn't work. Have no idea why that is.

So you want all of our comments to be submitted with the song listing, including any potential links to live versions and/or music videos? I was going to share live versions separately since they can be very long for a playlist.

Walking On The Moon

Line 1 - Song name
press return
Line 2 - Song link
press return
Line 3- song link

So you want all of our comments to be submitted with the song listing, including any potential links to live versions and/or music videos?
I don't glean that at all from his instructions.

Walking On The Moon

Line 1 - Song name
press return
Line 2 - Song link
press return
Line 3- song link

So you want all of our comments to be submitted with the song listing, including any potential links to live versions and/or music videos? I was going to share live versions separately since they can be very long for a playlist.
I’d save all that for the writeup in the thread when the songs are released. Just put the song title and one link in the google form.

Walking On The Moon

Line 1 - Song name
press return
Line 2 - Song link
press return
Line 3- song link

I’d save all that for the writeup in the thread when the songs are released. Just put the song title and one link in the google form.
Ok, this is what I was planning. I was thrown off by the part that says

"any comments must go on Line 1 with the Song Name. I'd prefer that comments are posted when the song gets posted as I think that will add to more discussion. "

Walking On The Moon

Line 1 - Song name
press return
Line 2 - Song link
press return
Line 3- song link

I'm going to make a couple edits Zegras but after that no more micromanaging!
You can binky it all you like up to the deadline.

Users who are viewing this thread