What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Furrey Joins QB Kitna In 10 Win Prediction (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
DET - WR Furrey Joins Kitna In 10 Game Win Prediction

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article.../706270368/1048

By Nicholas J. Cotsonika, Detroit Free Press

Quarterback Jon Kitna has drawn a lot of attention lately for saying he thinks the Lions will win more than 10 games this season. But he isn't the only one with great expectations.

Said WR Mike Furrey, "Right now, on paper, we look like we should win 10 to 12 games, easily. We're seeing what we have, and we have guys in there now that believe in Marinelli. They believe in what we can do. And if you ask every one of us, we expect to win 10 games."
What do you think?

Quarterback Jon Kitna has drawn a lot of attention lately for saying he thinks the Lions will win more than 10 games this season. But he isn't the only one with great expectations.

Said WR Mike Furrey, "Right now, on paper, we look like we should win 10 to 12 games, easily. We're seeing what we have, and we have guys in there now that believe in Marinelli. They believe in what we can do. And if you ask every one of us, we expect to win 10 games."
What do you think?
:goodposting:

Someone should point out to them that winning 10 games requires winning on the road, something they have only done 6 out of their last 40 tries dating back to 2002

What do you think?
I think Kitna and Furrey need to take a closer look at the defense, namely the secondary and LB's not named Ernie Sims. I think 8-8 would be a great season for them. I do think they are headed in the right direction, and I loved their draft, but 10+ wins is a bit much.

What do you think?
I think Kitna and Furrey need to take a closer look at the defense, namely the secondary and LB's not named Ernie Sims. I think 8-8 would be a great season for them. I do think they are headed in the right direction, and I loved their draft, but 10+ wins is a bit much.
I would imagine getting to go against that defense during the offseason workouts would tend to build some overconfidence.

Someone should point out to them that winning 10 games requires winning on the road, something they have only done 6 out of their last 40 tries dating back to 2002
While they do have a poor recent record, if everything went the way it always has in the past then the Colts wouldn't have gotten past the Patriots last year. Things change, parity reigns supreme. You can't draft that high for so long without eventually building a solid team. I don't know if they will hit 10 wins but quite frankly it wouldn't surprise. With Martz, CJ, RWilliams, and Kitna, who I believe to be a fiery and fierce QB without the benefit of being great I can easily see an explosion. Who would have expected what we got from the Saints last year? Or the Rams in 99? Trends change, or at the very least have exceptions, and attitude as much as talent can win games. It seems like the Lions may have both. I can certainly see them beating the Viqueens and the Packers in the division and though Seattle bucked the SB hangover theory a little last year, if the Bears succumb the Lions could easily take the division. Certainly a team to watch out for, at least for now.

What do you think?
I think if I'm the HC, GM, and/or owner, I reach up and slap them upside their bald head. Flapping your gums like this, even if it's not done in an obnoxious way, is stupid. If you believe in yourself/your teammates, great - but shut the flip up and try to surprise people during the season. Don't blabber on in the summer with goofy predictions about how many wins you'll get, how many yds you'll gain, etc blah and so on. It isn't really even about what their chances to fulfill those predictions are.

What do you think?
I think if I'm the HC, GM, and/or owner, I reach up and slap them upside their bald head. Flapping your gums like this, even if it's not done in an obnoxious way, is stupid. If you believe in yourself/your teammates, great - but shut the flip up and try to surprise people during the season. Don't blabber on in the summer with goofy predictions about how many wins you'll get, how many yds you'll gain, etc blah and so on. It isn't really even about what their chances to fulfill those predictions are.
Believe me, if the Lions DO win 10+ games this year, we'll ALL be surprised...

What was he supposed to say?

Reporter: Kitna has predicted you guys will win 10 or more games this year. What do you think?

Furrey: He's full of it. This team is the worst collection of so called talent I've ever seen. Outside a couple players here, most guys don't belong in the NFL. I can't wait to get out of this Hell hole of a city. We'll win 4 games if we're lucky.

I'm calling out the link for this thread in the email update that'll go out to 70,000 hardcore football junkies tomorrow morning. You guys do me proud here. Someone take the "Furrey's not crazy" angle here. Let's hear it.

J

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm calling out the link for this thread in the email update that'll go out to 70,000 hardcore football junkies tomorrow morning. You guys do me proud here. Someone take the "Furrey's not crazy" angle here. Let's hear it.J
They lost 8 games by 8 pts or less last season. I think the offense will score more this year than last. If the defense and special teams can come up with some plays, then it is not out of the realm of possibility.LoveCrazy Lion Fan

I'm calling out the link for this thread in the email update that'll go out to 70,000 hardcore football junkies tomorrow morning. You guys do me proud here. Someone take the "Furrey's not crazy" angle here. Let's hear it.

J
Alright, its time for me to make my brash prediction - the Lions are going to be look a lot like the Saints of 2006 when 2007 rolls around. Brees > Kitna, however I'd gander to say that the weapons are there as well as the fact that Kitna has already put up 4100+ yards in that offense. They have plenty of targets - Roy Williams, Mike Furrey, and Calvin Johnson are arguably better matched up one on one with each of the Saints WRs (hence, Roy > Colston, Furrey > Henderson, Johnson > the rest). While they lack a big play TE, Brees seemed to fair quite well this year without one, and yet Dan Campbell and Marcus Pollard should fare well enough for Detroit. Their RB situation is admittedly worse, however it shouldn't be overstated - Kevin Jones and Tatum Bell are pretty good RBs. Both have gone over 1k yards in their careers, and Jones has great hands, and while they aren't as great as Reggie 'WR' Bush, they were good enough to 61 receptions last year. Switching those two guys out during the game should keep them both fresh and furious all through the fourth quarter. The O-line is the biggest ? here - the Saints O-line last year was great, despite the loss of LeCharles Bentley. The Detroit O-lineman aren't without talent, and maybe with another year together they'll play better, and they will have to for this offense to sustain any sort of success.As far as defense goes, it shouldn't be a cause for concern. Marinelli will kick those guys into shape, and even if they can be better than bad, they can win a lot of games this year. The Saints defense last year was obviously an improvement over 2004, but it was still mediocre, especially in the run game. The Detroit defense lacks a dominant MLB, but they have a pretty good D-line and decent OLBs. If they can manage to not be horrible in the pass department, they should be solid enough for the offense to win them games. And now for the bold prediction time - 12-4 and the division. The Bears will be about 10-6 when all is said and done. Both will make the playoffs.

Repeating the same action and expecting a different result is one of the definitions of insanity.

They've managed to go 11 seasons without 10 wins. The last Detroit team to get 10 wins was better at every offensive position than this team is. This team is coming off a 3-13 season and has Jon Kitna at the helm; Kitna never managed more than 8 wins with a more-talented Bengals team.

At least Roy Williams is good enough to know not to flap his lips. Kitna and Furrey? Please.

What do you think?
The GM and/or owner aren't aware enough to realize it's a dumb prediction.Did Randy Moss ever have that 2500 yard season?

I suppose it's possible. Even with a defense that gave up 24.9 pts per game and 350 yards per game in 2006, it's still possible. They will need a running game though. They can't do it all on the run and shoot offense.

St. Louis did it (10 + wins) on offense alone in 1999, 2000 and 2001. Two of those years were with Mike Martz as coach - and look where Martz is now. :shrug: St. Louis had only 4 wins in 1998, jumping to 13 wins in 1999. 1999 brought in Marshall Faulk at RB, Torry Holt at WR and of course, Kurt Warner at QB. In other words, a lot changed for that team. I don't think the same can be said for this Lions club of 2007. They will put forth a valiant effort, but I don't see them even at 8-8. We'll see.

I'm calling out the link for this thread in the email update that'll go out to 70,000 hardcore football junkies tomorrow morning. You guys do me proud here. Someone take the "Furrey's not crazy" angle here. Let's hear it.J
FURREY IS NOT CRAZY BECAUSE.....um :shrug: I just can't do it.OK OK....for the sake of devil's advocacy....It is possible and stranger things have happened. Crazy you say? DET has defined suckitude for so long and with Millen more or less running the show, give you a break? Spare me the well-worn Millen Hate bangwagon and consider:QB: Granted Kitna turned it over too much last year, but there was a lot to like about him, esp considering he had no running game to speak of much of the time. Now he has better weapons and a year in the system under his belt....it's hard not to like his prospects this year.WRs: Speaking of better weapons....Furrey performed admirably and will continue to be a fine target, and of course Roy Williams has more than proven himself....and now enter Calvin J to the mix. This is one seriously talented WR corps. RBs: Kevin Jones will be back and Tatum Bell is there as a respectable if not amazing "1b" option. Further, Duckett is there as the bullish/goal line option and Calhoun brings further depth and another speedy option. OL: People tend to look at all the sacks and forget all the injuries. An underrated and healthier OL will reassert itself this year as underrated and respectable if not #$@ good.D: as with the OL, injuries "made" this D worse than it is, or should be, and I predict a healthy and surprisingly good season from this group. The front 7 actually has a lot of talent (maintaining Redding is important) - if they can find answers at CB, and I think they have at least "good enough" options, they'll surprise a LOT of people.ST: Hanson isn't a "boomer" but has been a relaible PK overall. Punting and returns similarly won't win a lot of games, but won't lose them either.Overall, lots of promise and lots of people not taking the Lions seriously spell 10 wins. Ridiculous? That's what they said about the Saints last year, the Rams when Vermeil came into town....etc etc etc. I'll be back for my told-you-so's in Dec.PS I have this great farmland in Fla, pls give a call if interested :shrug:

Hell yea go Furrey! It's about time the lions start getting hype and wanting to play hard. Last year they were terrible, but that last game against Dallas really showed me lots of those guys want to win. I am hoping the Lions can surprise us this year I really do. As a long time fan I am well over due for a winning season. 10 games seems a little much to me, but I would be happy with an 8-8 record. If they make the playoffs in the wild card spot I am going to go nuts!

well lets not be hasty.. take a look at the schedule - my opinions.. I am not a book, not taking any action on these unfounded guesses

1 Sun, Sep 9 at Oakland NL 4:15 PM - possible Win, better than 50% chance

2 Sun, Sep 16 Minnesota NL 4:05 PM - possible Win better than 50% chance

3 Sun, Sep 23 at Philadelphia NL 1:00 PM - Loss

4 Sun, Sep 30 Chicago NL 1:00 PM - Loss

5 Sun, Oct 7 at Washington NL 1:00 PM -possible Win skeptical of WAS this year

6BYE WEEK

7 Sun, Oct 21 Tampa Bay NL 1:00 PM - possible win, would be bad juju to let garcia beat you

8 Sun, Oct 28 at Chicago NL 1:00 PM - Loss

9 Sun, Nov 4 Denver NL 1:00 PM - Loss

10 Sun, Nov 11 at Arizona NL 4:15 PM - possible Win better than 50% chance

11 Sun, Nov 18 NY Giants NL 4:15 PM - Loss

12 Thu, Nov 22 Green Bay NL 12:30 PM - possible Win, better than 50% chance

13 Sun, Dec 2 at Minnesota NL 1:00 PM - possible Win, better than 50% chance

14 Sun, Dec 9 Dallas NL 1:00 PM - Loss

15 Sun, Dec 16 at San Diego NL 4:15 PM - Loss

16 Sun, Dec 23 Kansas City NL 1:00 PM - closest of all 17 maches in my opinion KC is known for out performing their paper value,,,, LOSS

17 Sun, Dec 30 at Green Bay NL 1:00 PM - possible Win, better than 50% chance

some it up... Eight Losses... can they win 10... sure possibly... not freaking likely.....

of the eight losses who are the 2 upsets? split the Bears? KC? maybe Dallas in Detroit?

it's possible

I believe Furrey and Kitna's comments were both taken out of context.

REPORTER: So how many victories do you see the lions getting over the next three years.

KITNA: I dunno. Ten. At least.

REPORTER: You realize split over a three year period, that ten wins is actually a pretty atrocious win percentage.

KITNA: And you realize I play for the Detroit Lions.

REPORTER: Well played.

REPORTER: So Mike, your QB guaranteed ten wins.

FURREY: What? That son of a %$#!

REPORTER: Over three years.

FURREY: Ah. Well. That's more reasonable. I think we can attain that. Maybe. Still, that's gonna make us a target for

every team in the league.

(laughter from reporter)

FURREY: What? I'm just sayin', when you guarantee something, people don't take kindly to that. It's bulletin board material.

Teams are really going to be pumped to play the Lions next year, knowing that we guaranteed ten wins over the next three seasons.

(hysterical laughter from reporter)

FURREY: I don't know what's so funny. We're a team on the rise. Sky's the limit. Well, not really, we are the Lions. But seriously, in a few years with this offense we could easily be a six or seven win team. And that's in ONE SEASON.

(reporter falls off chair laughing)

FURREY: I don't think I like you.

Kitna is clearly referring to the secret deal the Lions have struck to play in the Arena2 League for this coming season. Add in the preseason and there's gotta be 10 wins in there. :yes:

-QG

2 Sun, Sep 16 Minnesota NL 4:05 PM - possible Win better than 50% chance12 Thu, Nov 22 Green Bay NL 12:30 PM - possible Win, better than 50% chance13 Sun, Dec 2 at Minnesota NL 1:00 PM - possible Win, better than 50% chance17 Sun, Dec 30 at Green Bay NL 1:00 PM - possible Win, better than 50% chance
A 50% chance to get 4 wins in the division when they had a total of zero last season. Also, how do they get a better than 50% chance to win against either team when they have to play them on the road at least once.Then again, your kind of logic is the reason we have Las Vegas in the first place so more power to ya

There's a lot of parity in the NFL, and a lot of cocky players. I think most players on most teams, if you asked them, would tell you that they think their team is a serious contender to win the Super Bowl. The fact that the Lions are setting the bar at 10 wins should tell you just how awful they are.

As a Lions fan, I'm not real confident that they can improve on last year's record.

2 Sun, Sep 16 Minnesota NL 4:05 PM - possible Win better than 50% chance12 Thu, Nov 22 Green Bay NL 12:30 PM - possible Win, better than 50% chance13 Sun, Dec 2 at Minnesota NL 1:00 PM - possible Win, better than 50% chance17 Sun, Dec 30 at Green Bay NL 1:00 PM - possible Win, better than 50% chance
A 50% chance to get 4 wins in the division when they had a total of zero last season. Also, how do they get a better than 50% chance to win against either team when they have to play them on the road at least once.Then again, your kind of logic is the reason we have Las Vegas in the first place so more power to ya
lets look at those game lines when they come up in vegas... who will be favored? not saying I am right, nor chest thumping... I believe those lines will favor DET.. except MAYBE the Lambeu Field game...

I'll give you two reasons why Furrey's not crazy:1) the Bears will regress in '07... anybody who saw their defense for the last couple of games without Tommie Harris knows the troubles looming for Chicago's D... Tommie's coming back from injury (how long will that take?) Tank Johnson is gone; Lance Briggs might not come back... to suggest that any one of those alone or in concert makes the Bears even as good as last year is silly;2) the Lions offense will be better in '07 to the tune of the Rams of years gone by... they have addressed the offensive line to where this can be a respectable unit; Calvin's addition makes Furrey deadly in the slot (so that the O can stay on the field on third downs to keep the D rested); mostly, the Lions should be playing with leads a bit more this year and that will put the D in better position (again, like the Rams' early years)OK, I'll give you a third reason, as well... they have a now-and-later platoon at RB where Tinker Bell can remain healthy and productive for 4-6 games until Kevin Jones comes back.Holy smokes they CAN win 10 games! :shrug:

well lets not be hasty.. take a look at the schedule - my opinions.. I am not a book, not taking any action on these unfounded guesses

1 Sun, Sep 9 at Oakland NL 4:15 PM - possible Win, better than 50% chance (W) I just don't think Oakland will win

2 Sun, Sep 16 Minnesota NL 4:05 PM - possible Win better than 50% chance(L)I like these teams to split

3 Sun, Sep 23 at Philadelphia NL 1:00 PM - Loss (L)Tall order to walk into Phili and win

4 Sun, Sep 30 Chicago NL 1:00 PM - Loss (W)IMO This team has the matchups to take advantage of the Bears weaknesses now. The lead was never THAT big. Never is in the NFL

5 Sun, Oct 7 at Washington NL 1:00 PM -possible Win skeptical of WAS this year (L)I think it is a tall order fo Detroit to win in DC (Think its been something like 20 years since they have won there - they may have 1 win in there, but off the top of my head I can't remember them ever winning there).

6BYE WEEK

7 Sun, Oct 21 Tampa Bay NL 1:00 PM - possible win, would be bad juju to let garcia beat you (W)I like Martzes offense vs the Cover 2 and Tampa on the road in a dome.......gotta think Detroit wins this

8 Sun, Oct 28 at Chicago NL 1:00 PM - Loss (W)See above

9 Sun, Nov 4 Denver NL 1:00 PM - Loss (L) Again, a tough place for a dome team, but especially Detroit. Unless Tatum and Ducket carry them, tough loss

10 Sun, Nov 11 at Arizona NL 4:15 PM - possible Win better than 50% chance (W)If that offense is working, I have a hard time seeing the Arizona offensive couching staff staying with Detroit. Im thinking the Cards will be better this year, but not as improved as Detroit

11 Sun, Nov 18 NY Giants NL 4:15 PM - Loss (W) I don't believe in the Giants run game or its offensive line. I think if the offense is one dimensional, the ofense will be in trouble this year. I don't think they will score as many as Detroit will

12 Thu, Nov 22 Green Bay NL 12:30 PM - possible Win, better than 50% chance (W) Again, I think the packers did not get better in the offseason. I think that Detroit could sweep the pack this year, but Ill stick with a split

13 Sun, Dec 2 at Minnesota NL 1:00 PM - possible Win, better than 50% chance (W)

14 Sun, Dec 9 Dallas NL 1:00 PM - Loss (W) If the Lions are winning and scoring this will likely be a Sunday night game. I think it will be close. I don't like Wade as an offensive minded coach though. Because its at home, Ill give it to the Lions

15 Sun, Dec 16 at San Diego NL 4:15 PM - Loss (L) I think SD should be the class of the west. I still believe the AFC West will be rough as usual.

16 Sun, Dec 23 Kansas City NL 1:00 PM - closest of all 17 maches in my opinion KC is known for out performing their paper value,,,, LOSS (W) I think this is where you have to wonder - I think Larry Johnson is gone one way or another by this point. I know you can't predict injury, but he isn't going to repeat what he did last year. Im sure he's feeling all of those carries still. I think Detroit at home, with a shot at the playoffs, will be loud. I think they outscore KC

17 Sun, Dec 30 at Green Bay NL 1:00 PM - possible Win, better than 50% chance (L) Dome team in GB in December. Here's the split

some it up... Eight Losses... can they win 10... sure possibly... not freaking likely.....

of the eight losses who are the 2 upsets? split the Bears? KC? maybe Dallas in Detroit?

it's possible
I made my adjustments. Im a believer. I think they match up VERY well against they Bears this year. They now have the receivers to spread the D (which was a weaknesss exposed last year) and Briggs isn't likely going to play early. There are going to be holes and this team is equiped to hit 'em.I actually see 10-6 as probable. As long as the team plays hard every week, absolutely.

WoW! Put down the pipe. This is a bottom feeder in the NFL with a paper thin RB, a qustionable offensive line, a lousy defense and a GM that has duped the people in Detroit into thinking that his multiple number one WR draft picks are going to get them a winning team. The Lions get their Thanksgiving Day gem but not too much after that. This team cannot win on the road and when the chill of winter calls they cannot win on the road at all. They are a disgrace to the black and blue division for playing indoors and have been cursed since Barry Sanders quit on them. I see about 6-10 and if they turn it around this year and make the playoffs miracles do happen in the NFL (or maybe even the fix).......

There's a lot of parity in the NFL, and a lot of cocky players. I think most players on most teams, if you asked them, would tell you that they think their team is a serious contender to win the Super Bowl. The fact that the Lions are setting the bar at 10 wins should tell you just how awful they are.As a Lions fan, I'm not real confident that they can improve on last year's record.
Hi SR,Do you think the Lions haven't improved any from last year? Or do you think the other teams are better? Or just cautious?J

The Jets and Saints went from 4-12 and 3-13 to 10-6 last year, so I think it's very possible. The Saints got a rookie playmaker on offense at a position where they already appeared stacked.

In his first year as OC, Martz took a 4-12 Rams team to 13-3. The Rams appeared every bit as talent depleted as the Lions do right now, but it turns out they did OK.

Kitna's 4208 yards last year were fourth in the league, and that arguably wasn't even his best year. His TD/INT ratio was only 21/22, compared with 23/16 and 26/15 that he's put up in the past. Imagine what he can do when his #2 WR isn't a converted safety and he's got a second year in the Martz offense. By the way, he's only 34.

Last year's running backs totaled less than 1000 yards combined. That's ridiculous. Tatum Bell and TJ Duckett are a pretty weak version of thunder and lightning, but they almost have to be an improvement over last year, especially with the team opening up running lanes.

Adding Foster, Mulitalo and Piller on the offensive line gives them decent veterans who may be huge bargains if they stay healthy.

On the defensive line, they're getting guys who fit well in the cover 2, with Dewayne White coming in from the Bucs, and Alama-Francis bringing explosiveness off the bench. I also like Gerald Alexander as a cover safety in their scheme. And while the rest of the defense struggled last year, they were, as always seems to happen to them, beat up by injuries. If they can stay healthy together, they have the talent to at least be average.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable if they had some stability at running back and another playmaker or two on defense, but overall, I don't think 10-6 is out of their grasp. A lot of things would have to bounce right, and if the Vegas line were 9.5 wins, I'd take out a second mortgage to bet the under, but this is a better team than a lot of people in this thread are giving them credit for.

J
Alright, its time for me to make my brash prediction - the Lions are going to be look a lot like the Saints of 2006 when 2007 rolls around. Brees > Kitna, however I'd gander to say that the weapons are there as well as the fact that Kitna has already put up 4100+ yards in that offense. They have plenty of targets - Roy Williams, Mike Furrey, and Calvin Johnson are arguably better matched up one on one with each of the Saints WRs (hence, Roy > Colston, Furrey > Henderson, Johnson > the rest). While they lack a big play TE, Brees seemed to fair quite well this year without one, and yet Dan Campbell and Marcus Pollard should fare well enough for Detroit. Their RB situation is admittedly worse, however it shouldn't be overstated - Kevin Jones and Tatum Bell are pretty good RBs. Both have gone over 1k yards in their careers, and Jones has great hands, and while they aren't as great as Reggie 'WR' Bush, they were good enough to 61 receptions last year. Switching those two guys out during the game should keep them both fresh and furious all through the fourth quarter. The O-line is the biggest ? here - the Saints O-line last year was great, despite the loss of LeCharles Bentley. The Detroit O-lineman aren't without talent, and maybe with another year together they'll play better, and they will have to for this offense to sustain any sort of success.As far as defense goes, it shouldn't be a cause for concern. Marinelli will kick those guys into shape, and even if they can be better than bad, they can win a lot of games this year. The Saints defense last year was obviously an improvement over 2004, but it was still mediocre, especially in the run game. The Detroit defense lacks a dominant MLB, but they have a pretty good D-line and decent OLBs. If they can manage to not be horrible in the pass department, they should be solid enough for the offense to win them games. And now for the bold prediction time - 12-4 and the division. The Bears will be about 10-6 when all is said and done. Both will make the playoffs.
Good post, but Pollard plays in Seattle now.

In his first year as OC, Martz took a 4-12 Rams team to 13-3. The Rams appeared every bit as talent depleted as the Lions do right now, but it turns out they did OK.
In his first year as OC, Martz took a 5-11 Lions team to 3-13.
True, but Marinelli is not **** Vermeil, Marshall Faulk wasn't injured for most of that first year, and the Rams weren't converting safeties to play WR.

In his first year as OC, Martz took a 5-11 Lions team to 3-13.
True, but Marinelli is not **** Vermeil, Marshall Faulk wasn't injured for most of that first year, and the Rams weren't converting safeties to play WR.
Those are three good reasons why Detroit 2007 has no similarity to St. Louis 1999. Marinelli is still not **** Vermeil, they still don't have a healthy RB, and they're still using a converted safety at WR.

I think Furrey may only be looking at the offensive side of the ball. I think that they have a good shot to finish in the top 1/3 on offense but unfortunately for the Lions they need to play defense too and therein lies the problem. The Lions were 22nd in team offense and 28th team defense last year and while they've added weapons to the offense their defense hasn't dramatically improved at all. They drafted a few defensive players but spent their impact draft picks on offense - again. They traded Bly for more offense and overall there's not a lot of reason for optimism.

Should they improve from last year? Yes. Will they be a 10 win team? Pipe dream. I'd be surprised if they hit .500 and the only reason they have a shot at that is that they are in the worst division in football.

I think they match up VERY well against they Bears this year.
:confused: They match up terribly with the Bears. They have a bad offensive line (According to Footballoutsiders, 32nd in the NFL for rushing, and 28th in pass protection in 2006). They can't run the ball. They also can't put pressure on the QB and have a porus secondary (30th against pass according to DVOA in 2006, and now without Bly).

Rex is typically terrible against teams with a good pass defense and torches teams with bad pass defenses and when he has time. The Bears D-Line will run through the Lions offensive line like it isn't even there.

This is a horrible horrible matchup for the Lions.

The Lions have absolutely no shot at sweeping the season series agaist the Bears and have about a 1% chance of winning 10 games Link.

:mellow: They match up terribly with the Bears. They have a bad offensive line (According to Footballoutsiders, 32nd in the NFL for rushing, and 28th in pass protection in 2006). They can't run the ball. They also can't put pressure on the QB and have a porus secondary (30th against pass according to DVOA in 2006, and now without Bly).

Rex is typically terrible against teams with a good pass defense and torches teams with bad pass defenses and when he has time. The Bears D-Line will run through the Lions offensive line like it isn't even there.

The Lions have absolutely no shot at sweeping the season series agaist the Bears and have about a 1% chance of winning 10 games Link.
While I agree the Bears are a lot better, the Lions almost beat them last year, and would have if Fat Mike Williams would not have dropped a pass in the end zone. The Lions worst matchups will be teams with strong passing games. The Bears are not one of them.

:confused: They match up terribly with the Bears. They have a bad offensive line (According to Footballoutsiders, 32nd in the NFL for rushing, and 28th in pass protection in 2006). They can't run the ball. They also can't put pressure on the QB and have a porus secondary (30th against pass according to DVOA in 2006, and now without Bly).

While I agree the Bears are a lot better, the Lions almost beat them last year, and would have if Fat Mike Williams would not have dropped a pass in the end zone. The Lions worst matchups will be teams with strong passing games. The Bears are not one of them.
The Bears had plenty of guys on the bench for that game and were missing Tillman and Tommie Harris. Hester saw signifigant time on defense (He's a horrible cornerback).Rex went 40/63 for 486 yards 5TD's and 0INT's and was sacked twice againt the Lions last year. That's 113.6 rating. If you can't get pressure on Rex and he's facing a bad secondary, he has success.

I like what the Lions are doing but they have a long way to go and don't match up well against the Bears.

SeveredHorseHeads said:
lions327 said:
SeveredHorseHeads said:
Hairy Snowman said:
:goodposting: They match up terribly with the Bears. They have a bad offensive line (According to Footballoutsiders, 32nd in the NFL for rushing, and 28th in pass protection in 2006). They can't run the ball. They also can't put pressure on the QB and have a porus secondary (30th against pass according to DVOA in 2006, and now without Bly).

The Bears had plenty of guys on the bench for that game and were missing Tillman and Tommie Harris. Hester saw signifigant time on defense (He's a horrible cornerback).Rex went 40/63 for 486 yards 5TD's and 0INT's and was sacked twice againt the Lions last year. That's 113.6 rating. If you can't get pressure on Rex and he's facing a bad secondary, he has success.

I like what the Lions are doing but they have a long way to go and don't match up well against the Bears.
The Lions were without Kevin Jones, Shawn Bryson, Shaun Rogers, Damien Woody, James Hall, Fernando Bryant, Shaun Cody, Verba, Tucker and Stokes. Thats their top 2 backs, their best defensive player, their top pass rusher, their #2 corner and 3 of their 5 starting 0-lineman. So, I wouldn't blame the close game on injuries. Perhaps, the Bears had little left to play for? Thats an excuse I will accept.

SeveredHorseHeads said:
lions327 said:
SeveredHorseHeads said:
Hairy Snowman said:
:goodposting: They match up terribly with the Bears. They have a bad offensive line (According to Footballoutsiders, 32nd in the NFL for rushing, and 28th in pass protection in 2006). They can't run the ball. They also can't put pressure on the QB and have a porus secondary (30th against pass according to DVOA in 2006, and now without Bly).

The Lions were without Kevin Jones, Shawn Bryson, Shaun Rogers, Damien Woody, James Hall, Fernando Bryant, Shaun Cody, Verba, Tucker and Stokes. Thats their top 2 backs, their best defensive player, their top pass rusher, their #2 corner and 3 of their 5 starting 0-lineman. So, I wouldn't blame the close game on injuries. Perhaps, the Bears had little left to play for? Thats an excuse I will accept.
:mellow: The Lions also play a lot better at home. The game was close, but I don't think it means the Lions match up well with the Bears, which was basically my point all along.

:loco: All I know for sure is that it is going to be a LOT of fun watching them WIN or LOSE this year with Mike Martz sending in the plays again. Last year he made Jon Kitna look like the second coming of Brett Favre. Roy Williams ran his gums all last year about how great the Lions were; it only a matter of time before he Thirds the 10 win vote! What team's defensive backfield in the Lion's division can guard the 22 year old 6-4 237lb Georgia Tech Rookie Calvin Johnson AND 26 year old-6-2-212lb Roy Williams(82-1310-7TDin 2006) AND lightning fast 6-0-200lb Mike Furrey(98-1086-6TD) in the slot? Jon Kitna threw for an unbelievable 372 completions on 596 attempts for 4208 yards & 21TD's in 2006(YES, WITHOUT Calvin Johnson). Sure he threw 22 picks as well in their 13 losses-in Mike Martz's system picks DO happen! YES the Lions only had 3 wins last year! Let's take a look at the final scores of these games, shall we?

09/10 6-9 L SEA

09/17 7-34 L at CHI

09/24 24-31 L GB

10/01 34-41 L at STL

10/08 17-26 L at MIN

10/15 20-17 W BUF

10/22 24-31 L at NYJ

11/05 30-14 W ATL

11/12 13-19 L SF

11/19 10-17 L at ARI

11/23 10-27 L MIA

12/03 21-28 L at NE

12/10 20-30 L MIN

12/17 9-17 L at GB

12/24 21-26 L CHI

12/31 39-31 W at DAL

Excuse me, but these DO NOT look like blowouts-one less turnover here or there and these are WINS! The Lions had more than their share of injuries last year both on defense and at RB and managed to stay combetitive in almost every game they played last year. AND while the LIONS recognized their weaknesses and fortified during the off-season by acquiring help at WR via the draft(Calvin Johnson), and RB via free agency(Tatum Bell-233 carries-1025yds-24rec-115yds-2006 with Denver splitting time with Mike Bell in Denver), TJ Duckett-goal-line option)the rest of the teams in the the division managed to get weaker by losing key offensive & defensive personel-Bears lost Thomas Jones via free agency and possibly Lance Briggs via contract dispute-the Packers lost Ahman Green via free agency-Vikings are going with unproven Tarvaris Jackson at QB this year-This MAY be the year the LIONS actually win a few road games in the division! My question to all of you naysayers out there is WHO in the Lions division can SCORE more than the Lions are likely to with this offense. YET questions DO remain: Will Kevin Jones come back STRONG? Will Kitna throw FEWER interceptions? Can Shaun Rogers STOP groping strippers and avoid supension by the league? 10 wins seems very improbable but stranger things have happened-I certainly wouldnlt hold my breath! :yes:

SECOND HAND LIONS

J
The gap between Brees and Kitna is gigantic. The Saints excelled because they have a good OC and a good QB. Marginal talent everywhere but WR and Kitna at QB dosn't translate to 10+ wins.

Users who are viewing this thread