What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Martz fired in San Francisco (1 Viewer)

Mike Nolan is an idiot. Martz was a desperate hire in order to save his job, knowing that it was against what the original plan of how the team was being built in the first place. Martz wasn't a popular choice with the Yorks. The Yorks, from earlier reports, are close friends with Jay Zygmunt, Martz's nemesis in STL. Nolan blindsided them with Martz, and he blindsided ScotM with Martz as well. Nolan was going out swinging, and Martz pretty much shut the door down on Alex Smith, ScotM's boy. According to Mike Silver, the Yorks wanted Nolan fired after last season. ScotM convinced the Yorks for Nolan to stay another year. Even after Nolan was stripped of power, he still though of himself as "the face of the organization". His arrogance and stupidity did him in. ScotM never considered Martz for the OC position before Nolan hired him. ScotM told the press days before that Martz's brand of offense didn't fit the talent of the team. Nolan hires Martz a few days later. Mike Nolan should never be a Head Coach in the NFL again. If he is, good luck to the team who is stupid enough to hire him.
I don't doubt that a lot of what you say is true but the bottom line is Martz did a pretty good job and the results of the Singletary/Martz combo was pretty good. The management in SF is dysfunctional even from your own analysis. Who do they hire now as OC? If they go to a conservative play caller and ignore the offense in the draft then I think you could be looking at the next 0-16 team. This offense is a lot closer to horrid than good and the only person that made it respectable just left. The defense tried harder in the 2nd half but still isn't a strong unit

Martz wasn't a popular choice with the Yorks. The Yorks, from earlier reports, are close friends with Jay Zygmunt, Martz's nemesis in STL.Mike Nolan should never be a Head Coach in the NFL again. If he is, good luck to the team who is stupid enough to hire him.
BTW, Jay Zygmunt should never be a GM in the league again and good luck to the team that is stupid enough to hire him.If the Yorks are friends with Jay Zygmunt then the Yorks are idiots too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Nolan is an idiot. Martz was a desperate hire in order to save his job, knowing that it was against what the original plan of how the team was being built in the first place. Martz wasn't a popular choice with the Yorks. The Yorks, from earlier reports, are close friends with Jay Zygmunt, Martz's nemesis in STL. Nolan blindsided them with Martz, and he blindsided ScotM with Martz as well. Nolan was going out swinging, and Martz pretty much shut the door down on Alex Smith, ScotM's boy. According to Mike Silver, the Yorks wanted Nolan fired after last season. ScotM convinced the Yorks for Nolan to stay another year. Even after Nolan was stripped of power, he still though of himself as "the face of the organization". His arrogance and stupidity did him in. ScotM never considered Martz for the OC position before Nolan hired him. ScotM told the press days before that Martz's brand of offense didn't fit the talent of the team. Nolan hires Martz a few days later. Mike Nolan should never be a Head Coach in the NFL again. If he is, good luck to the team who is stupid enough to hire him.
I don't doubt that a lot of what you say is true but the bottom line is Martz did a pretty good job and the results of the Singletary/Martz combo was pretty good. The management in SF is dysfunctional even from your own analysis. Who do they hire now as OC? If they go to a conservative play caller and ignore the offense in the draft then I think you could be looking at the next 0-16 team. This offense is a lot closer to horrid than good and the only person that made it respectable just left. The defense tried harder in the 2nd half but still isn't a strong unit
The issue is that Singletary doesn't need to have to "restrain" his OC's tendencies. Martz just doesn't fit into Sing's philosophy. Martz was just using the 49ers as an audition for a HC job elsewhere anyway. The risk was having the same thing happen to Sing as what happened to Nolan with Turner, with Martz possibly bolting late for a HC job, and leaving him in the lurch. Better to part ways with Martz now, since he really wasn't a long term solution anyway. Martz also wasn't too keen on a lot of the talent on the squad, and there may have been some issues with Martz and Gore. Forget all of the effusive remarks about players Martz has put out in the press. That's just Martz smoke. As far as the new OC: nobody knows at this point.

Your best argument is that he's a good OC because his last two teams finished #19 and #23 in offense?
He had little to work with in either city. Kitna was a career journeyman Back-up and Roy Williams was an overrated WR.SF has 2 career journeyman backup QB's and over the hill top WR and a shaky OL. Yet he still improved the offense from last by a mile to respectability.
He also had Calvin Johnson last year--just didn't do anything with him. The last two years Kitna was a starter before he went to Detroit, he led the #13 and #12 passing offenses. Frank Gore is one of the top five RBs in the league; if the QBs and WRs are so bad, why did Gore get just 240 carries? Gore also had 10 fewer receptions than 2007.
Calvin Johnson was having a fine rookie season until he messed up his back diving for a ball.

Reading the local Bay Area paper, I see that Singletary has power over his assistants and he fired Martz himself. Why? He wants SF to run the ball a lot more.

Translation: bump Frank Gore up for 2009.

Reading the local Bay Area paper, I see that Singletary has power over his assistants and he fired Martz himself. Why? He wants SF to run the ball a lot more.Translation: bump Frank Gore up for 2009.
Not unless they can upgrade their O-Line. His average yards per carry the last 2 years have sucked. If they don't upgrade their OL, bump their Punter he could be a pro bowler

Heres my prediction. Depending on where martz goes grossman will follow and the greatest show on turf will will reappear.

:football:

IIRC Hill wasn't even Martz's choice @ qb.
No he wasn't but he didn't try and sabotage Singletary on the move. Instead he tweaked his system to suit Hill and also made the offense a bit more ground oriented down the stretch. I thought he showed himself to be a true professional and his reward was to be fired.I think this is a bad move by SF and I suspect they will regress badly on offense now unless there are huge player upgrades.
This a bonehead move by SF unless they replace Martz with someone as good or better. Steve Young was on the local San Francizco sports radio station the other day for his weekly show. Young adamently stated that the 49ers cannot expect success when they repeatedly replace their offensive coordinators almost every year.SF has done an awful job drafting talent over the last few years. That is a systemic organizational problem that Martz has little to do with. Aside from Frank Gore, who has SF drafted that is a top skill player on offense? And Gore was definitely a gamble given his serious knee injuries.I like Singletary. Seems like a great guy. But my gut tells me that this is a bad move. Most of the great NFL head coaches are not "player's coaches." Parcells, Coughlin, Belicheck, players respect these guys despite their prickly personalities. I don't have evidence to base this on, but I think Singletary gets fired two years from now after two consecutive 6-10 seasons.
Totally agree with you. I like Singletary but I too think he'll be gone in a couple years. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until it happens,FRIRE THE YORKS, the Yorks are the problem with the 49ers. As long as they remain the owners this is not going to be a top franchise like they used to be. The Yorks are the NFC's Al Davis,lol. They just continue to #### this team up and it's a shame. Oh I'll still support them and be a fan but the 49ers have no hope until the Yorks are out of the NFL period.

The management in SF is dysfunctional even from your own analysis. Who do they hire now as OC? If they go to a conservative play caller and ignore the offense in the draft then I think you could be looking at the next 0-16 team. This offense is a lot closer to horrid than good and the only person that made it respectable just left. The defense tried harder in the 2nd half but still isn't a strong unit
So the 49ers hired Jimmy Raye a six time OC retread. Wow! Dynamic hire. LOL!Is there anyone out there who can seriously argue this guy is a bump over Martz?

My prediction after this dreadful hire is that the 49ers will rank between 30th and 32nd next year in total offense. This won't even be good for Gore.

If you have any 49ers in a dynasty league trade them now!

Anybody that is a 49ers fan at this point should be commended for not being a bandwagon fan (even though, if you read most of the 49er message boards, they are some of the most stupid fans around) because this team is way far removed from the Dynasty era. I became a fan before that era, and now, we're back to the 70's, complete with our latest OC, who coached the team under Ken Meyer.

I can see why no other team outside of the York led 49ers hired Mike Singletary. Meet Jurassic Coach, Mike Nolan 2.0.

Users who are viewing this thread