What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Tomlin...is it time to go? (1 Viewer)

I think it is more like he gets credit for having players buy into the next man up mentality and still going out there and competing when the entire country gave up on them. Tomlin is even-keeled and honest, so guys show up for him.

Tony Dungy Reveals Real Reason Mike Tomlin Fired Matt Canada <--- good read on Mike Tomlin being candid. I'd have preferred that the info in the article came out sooner than later. But it gives insights into what was happening.
"Players were caught off guard by the defense’s game plan multiple times, and Canada never made the necessary adjustments to assuage those concerns. " this was huge imo.

His track record on hiring assistants is abysmal.
ding ding
uno
And I don't see that getting any better. Ever.
This is just a theory, and I don't necessarily think it's fair to put all of this on Tomlin, but whenever people talk about how the number of Black coaches is at or below the numbers seen 20 years ago, I think a big factor is that during that earlier time, the dean of Black coaches in the NFL was Dungy, who groomed a ton of minority assistant coaches who went on to become HCs, including Tomlin himself. Now, it's Tomlin who has that unofficial title, and leaving aside the fact that he hasn't hired many Black assistants, the bigger issue is that he has no coaching tree to speak of.

In a world where Tomlin followed Dungy's example and gave opportunities to promising Black up-and-comers, I wonder if we wouldn't see more minority HCs and more success in Pittsburgh

ding ding

This is just a theory, and I don't necessarily think it's fair to put all of this on Tomlin, but whenever people talk about how the number of Black coaches is at or below the numbers seen 20 years ago, I think a big factor is that during that earlier time, the dean of Black coaches in the NFL was Dungy, who groomed a ton of minority assistant coaches who went on to become HCs, including Tomlin himself. Now, it's Tomlin who has that unofficial title, and leaving aside the fact that he hasn't hired many Black assistants, the bigger issue is that he has no coaching tree to speak of.

In a world where Tomlin followed Dungy's example and gave opportunities to promising Black up-and-comers, I wonder if we wouldn't see more minority HCs and more success in Pittsburgh
The theory I ascribe to is that after so long in one place as a head coach you lose those connections you had as a younger coach/assistant and you have a harder time finding the up and coming assistants. Happened to Noll and plenty of others. And then there's the promoting from within. You fire/lose a coach and you promote from within a guy who is just as bad or worse; that always works out well.

I think it is more like he gets credit for having players buy into the next man up mentality and still going out there and competing when the entire country gave up on them. Tomlin is even-keeled and honest, so guys show up for him.

Tony Dungy Reveals Real Reason Mike Tomlin Fired Matt Canada <--- good read on Mike Tomlin being candid. I'd have preferred that the info in the article came out sooner than later. But it gives insights into what was happening.
"Players were caught off guard by the defense’s game plan multiple times, and Canada never made the necessary adjustments to assuage those concerns. " this was huge imo.
That isn't a quote though.

ding ding

The theory I ascribe to is that after so long in one place as a head coach you lose those connections you had as a younger coach/assistant and you have a harder time finding the up and coming assistants. Happened to Noll and plenty of others. And then there's the promoting from within. You fire/lose a coach and you promote from within a guy who is just as bad or worse; that always works out well.
Well, he wasn't that good at hiring assistants when he was a new coach, either

ding ding

Well, he wasn't that good at hiring assistants when he was a new coach, either
I think he was forced to inherit Cowher's assistants at first. After that though it's certainly on him.

Anyone want to bet this thread will get bumped after the Steeler game not matter the outcome? :lol:

If the Steelers win --> SEEEEEEEE Tomlin lead them to a win without TJ Watt!!!!!
If the Bills win --> SEEEEEEE Tomlin has only one a playoff game in 4 of his 17 years!!!!!!

Last edited:
Anyone want to bet this thread will get bumped after the Steeler game not matter the outcome? :lol:

If the Steelers win --> SEEEEEEEE Tomlin lead them to a win with TJ Watt!!!!!
If the Bills win --> SEEEEEEE Tomlin has only one a playoff game in 4 of his 17 years!!!!!!
Well, you just bumped it after a two-day nap :lol:

Maybe I am oversimplifying matters but it seems to me a coach looks a lot better with a quality QB...and Tomlin does not currently have one.

Maybe I am oversimplifying matters but it seems to me a coach looks a lot better with a quality QB...and Tomlin does not currently have one.
Mike Tomlin has a winning record when starting these qbs: Ben Roethlisberger, Dennis Dixon, Landry Jones, Michael Vick, Charlie Batch, Mason Rudolph, and Kenny Picketts.

He is .500 when starting Devlin Hodges.

He only has a losing record when starting Mitchell Trubisky and Byron Leftwhich.

Mike Tomlin has a winning record when starting these qbs: Ben Roethlisberger, Dennis Dixon, Landry Jones, Michael Vick, Charlie Batch, Mason Rudolph, and Kenny Picketts.

He is .500 when starting Devlin Hodges.

He only has a losing record when starting Mitchell Trubisky and Byron Leftwhich.
His last playoff wins came in 2016 against teams starting Matt Moore (MIA) and Alex Smith (KC)

In the 3 playoff games since then, the Steelers have given up an average of 45 points to Blake Bortles (JAX), Baker Mayfield (CLE), and Mahomes (KC).

But he's never had a losing season!

And he's only 13th in wins all time. He ranks even worse in winning percentage, only 23rd.

Worse than that, he's only won 1 SB. Imagine how many the Steelers could have won with somebody else. Probably like 7 or 8.

It's apparent some of you NEVER watch or follow the Steelers. He has 3, yes 3 freaking playoff wins in last 10 years. And many more bad, embarrassing playoff losses. Must be ESPN employees posting on here.

i wouldnt blame him if he asked to be traded or just quit. If he does, hopefully its tomorrow so steelers can get a good coach ASAP. He gets blamed for everything, and credit for nothing. And I am no Tomlin apologist, but it has to have worn on him. Maybe traded DC or LAC would be a nice fresh start for him. He knows how to coach and players love him. Pittsburgh has run out its fair share of players and coaches, MT wouldnt be the first, or last.

i wouldnt blame him if he asked to be traded or just quit. If he does, hopefully its tomorrow so steelers can get a good coach ASAP. He gets blamed for everything, and credit for nothing. And I am no Tomlin apologist, but it has to have worn on him. Maybe traded DC or LAC would be a nice fresh start for him. He knows how to coach and players love him. Pittsburgh has run out its fair share of players and coaches, MT wouldnt be the first, or last.
i like Tomlin, but no thanks in DC. Want someone younger w a history of developing QBs.

I think he'd be a nice fit in ATL.

He wins games with mediocre teams. They never embarrass themselves in the regular season, but never really look like contenders.

That's what he brings to the table, and and a good number of teams would be very happy with that.

He wins games with mediocre teams. They never embarrass themselves in the regular season, but never really look like contenders.

That's what he brings to the table, and and a good number of teams would be very happy with that.
Did you watch any games this year? Thoroughly embarrassed by 2 win Arizona & 2 win New England.

i like Tomlin, but no thanks in DC. Want someone younger w a history of developing QBs.

I think he'd be a nice fit in ATL.
Tomlin is young, and the OC would develop the QB.
But to trade Tomlin, he would need to want to be traded. I dont think he is done with coaching as some suggest. We will find out in a day or two. Cause the HC hiring process is taking place now across the league.

Did you watch any games this year? Thoroughly embarrassed by 2 win Arizona & 2 win New England.
with Mitch Trubisky at QB. Aint a coach in the league winning with Mitch. They also beat Lamar earlier in the season. Beat the Browns when Watson was playing, won at LAR, and all the while having at best a QB2 running the show. Since Pickett was drafted its been a hassle, just an awful pick.
Every year the Steelers play down to some opponents, that is a bad thing about Tomlin teams. But he also does really good vs Bmore, Cincy and Clev.

with Mitch Trubisky at QB. Aint a coach in the league winning with Mitch. They also beat Lamar earlier in the season. Beat the Browns when Watson was playing, won at LAR, and all the while having at best a QB2 running the show. Since Pickett was drafted its been a hassle, just an awful pick.
Every year the Steelers play down to some opponents, that is a bad thing about Tomlin teams. But he also does really good vs Bmore, Cincy and Clev.
And why did they start Trubisky? Because Tomlin dismissed starting Rudolph after Trubisky laid an egg vs Arizona. Then he stuck with Trubisky as he lost to New England. And the cherry on top? He stuck with Mitch for the loss against Indianpolis too. The early wins were despite Pickett... the Ravens dropped a ton of passes and Watt basically beat Cleveland by himself.

Or, blame the OC, right? Canada was in that role because Tomlin hired him in 2021. Ben put up 33 TDs and 10 INTs in 2020 and then tanked under Canada. And then, after Ben tanked and Pickett struggled as a rookie with an offense the entire league ridiculed, does Tomlin fire him? Of course not, he decided to run it back again in 2023 until it was so embarrassing that he had to make a change.

But it's so much easier to blame someone else for some people.

Why do people talk like he's been trying to win with backup quality QBs forever?

For ****'s sake, he had Ben for 15 years, including from 2011 to 2018 BEFORE his elbow injury and in 2020 when he was still good enough to throw 33 TDs and 10 INTs. I personally don't think he was as bad in 2021 as Canada's offense made him look either.

And in those last 11 years with Ben under center, he STILL won only 3 playoff games.

He should step away. His reputation will get him a job, and if he can land in a spot where he can just lead a really talented team like he inherited, he can cement cement his legacy.

Do I think Mike Tomlin is a bad coach, no. Do I think it may be beneficial for both the Steelers and Mike to part ways, yah. I'm not unhappy that he is coming back, but I do wonder what it would look like if the Steelers could get a first round pick and start fresh with a new voice.

...but I do wonder what it would look like if the Steelers could get a first round pick and start fresh with a new voice.

They have GOT to bring in a legit OC, at the least. No more guys with HS offenses. No more "90's era Cowherball" either. Legit coordinator with a scheme that actually leverages modern rules/techniques.

I wouldnt miss Austin if they fired him at DC either.

...but I do wonder what it would look like if the Steelers could get a first round pick and start fresh with a new voice.

They have GOT to bring in a legit OC, at the least. No more guys with HS offenses. No more "90's era Cowherball" either. Legit coordinator with a scheme that actually leverages modern rules/techniques.

I wouldnt miss Austin if they fired him at DC either.
I get the feeling that if Tomlin stays they'll promote Faulkner to full time OC. Hope not though. Wouldn't be terrible to kick the tires on Arthur Smith as OC.

I get the feeling that if Tomlin stays they'll promote Faulkner to full time OC. Hope not though. Wouldn't be terrible to kick the tires on Arthur Smith as OC.

I agree that's what Tomlin is likely to do....which will get them precisely the results we've witnessed already. If he chooses that route, I hope he's willing to pin his hopes for an extension on 3 games of "better'n Straw Hat Matt!"

"Better than Canada was" isn't a good enough metric. Khan/Tomlin should be talking to ANYONE available that has had a track record of getting real, live, results with an offense in the past 5-6 years. Smith, Kingsbury, Reich, et al. ANYONE. Talk to all comers.

Even if they wind up sticking with Faulkner because "he interviewed the best for what we are after", if they just hand wave it and go "Meh. He's here, we know him. Let's give him a year to show something." and don't talk to a single external candidate then I already know how that movie ends.

Last edited:
I understand Steelers fans wanting to make a change. I was all if favor of firing Tony Dungy when he was with the Bucs. He was good at building a team but was always out coached in the playoffs. It took him having one of the greatest QB's ever to finally overcome his deficiency coaching.

Alex Van Pelt anyone? :D
Let me get this straight. Alex Van Pelt gets fired. Brown's make the playoffs without their number 1 RB Nick Chubb. Who gets injured week 1. Without Deshaun Watson his number 1 QB. Who actually started to look better as the season progressed. Worked with getting Joe Flacco up and running and into the playoffs. Won games with 4 different QBs. This article makes it sound like they are looking for an OC who can unlock Deshaun. Personally being a Steeler fan I hope he doesn't find a trainer that can unlock his speed and accuracy.

GM Andrew Berry’s favorite sayings is: “Stability isn’t complete continuity.” Please someone purty please relay this to Rooney and Tomlin.

Not trying to knock Van Pelt but Deshaun Watson has had 2 good games in 2 partial seasons with the Browns. I am not sure where you saw improvements but okay.

I always associate Tomlin, McCarthy and Payton. Tomlin is a bit younger than the other two, but they all came into the head coaching gig about the same time - 2006/07.
Each spent a large part of their career with a first ballot HoF at QB. Each one won superbowl. Each has spent a fair bit of time in the hot seat but McCarthy is the only one who's been fired. They are all survivors.

McCarthy:
Regular season: 167–102–2 (.620)
Postseason: 11–11 (.500)
Career: 178–113–2 (.611)

Payton:
Regular season: 160–97 (.623)
Postseason: 9–8 (.529)
Career: 169–105 (.617)

Tomlin:
Regular season: 173–100–2 (.633)
Postseason: 8–10 (.444)
Career: 181–110–2 (.621)

I always associate Tomlin, McCarthy and Payton. Tomlin is a bit younger than the other two, but they all came into the head coaching gig about the same time - 2006/07.
Each spent a large part of their career with a first ballot HoF at QB. Each one won superbowl. Each has spent a fair bit of time in the hot seat but McCarthy is the only one who's been fired. They are all survivors.

McCarthy:
Regular season: 167–102–2 (.620)
Postseason: 11–11 (.500)
Career: 178–113–2 (.611)

Payton:
Regular season: 160–97 (.623)
Postseason: 9–8 (.529)
Career: 169–105 (.617)

Tomlin:
Regular season: 173–100–2 (.633)
Postseason: 8–10 (.444)
Career: 181–110–2 (.621)
I'm repeating this from earlier in the thread. Ask yourself if Tomlin would be mentioned along with great coaches if he hadn't won so much in his first 4 years after taking over the team Cowher left behind. Would his track record over the past 13 years earn him a lot of anything?

And before I hear the Pickett/Canada stuff, he had a healthy Roethlisberger from 2011 to 2018 and then a diminished but still productive Roethlisberger in 2020... and won 3 playoff games during those 9 years. Then Canada came in, ruined Ben's final year.

First 4 years (2007-2010)
Made the playoffs 3 times (75%)
Won a playoff game in 2 seasons (50%)
5-2 in the playoffs, 1 SB win, 1 SB loss

January, 2011, the Steelers lose to Tim Tebow in the Wild Card round and nothing has been the same since.

Last 13 years (2011-2023)
Made the playoffs 8 times (61%, if you count making it as a 7th seed, 6 times and 46% if the playoffs hadn't been expanded)
Won a playoff game in 2 seasons (15%)
3-8 in the playoffs with no quality wins and a few really, really embarassing losses

Rumors seem to be growing around Tomlin choosing to walk away. Though I think that's unlikely, I see it as more likely than Steelers org choosing to part ways. Should it happen, this feels like one of the best "FA coaching classes" we've had in a while. What are the thoughts on who would be available? Its hard for me not to think Vrabel would be far and away the best fit.

Rumors seem to be growing around Tomlin choosing to walk away. Though I think that's unlikely, I see it as more likely than Steelers org choosing to part ways. Should it happen, this feels like one of the best "FA coaching classes" we've had in a while. What are the thoughts on who would be available? Its hard for me not to think Vrabel would be far and away the best fit.
That was the rumor until yesterday. He reiterated in his final presser that he would be back and the contract extension would work itself out. The org (Rooney) has made it pretty clear that they want him to continue on.

That was the rumor until yesterday. He reiterated in his final presser that he would be back and the contract extension would work itself out. The org (Rooney) has made it pretty clear that they want him to continue on.
Rooney apparently stated the plan is to extend Tomlin.

Users who are viewing this thread