What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MJD to Holdout (1 Viewer)

With running back Maurice Jones-Drew saying he's open to a trade if he can't get a new contract done with the Jacksonville Jaguars, ESPN pro football analyst Adam Schefter said Friday that there's a team and a trade offer that might work.

That team is the Lions and the offer is this: a second-round pick and any running back off the Lions' roster.

Said Schefter: "I don't see the team (Lions) making a move for Maurice Jones-Drew, though can you imagine if they did? Matthew Stafford, Calvin Johnson and Jones-Drew. That's a trio that could wind up rivaling the triplets that Dallas once had."
I don't understand Schefter's comment....why wouldn't the Lions do this deal?
Most GMs try to avoid me-first players. Mayhew probably isn't any different.

With running back Maurice Jones-Drew saying he's open to a trade if he can't get a new contract done with the Jacksonville Jaguars, ESPN pro football analyst Adam Schefter said Friday that there's a team and a trade offer that might work.

That team is the Lions and the offer is this: a second-round pick and any running back off the Lions' roster.

Said Schefter: "I don't see the team (Lions) making a move for Maurice Jones-Drew, though can you imagine if they did? Matthew Stafford, Calvin Johnson and Jones-Drew. That's a trio that could wind up rivaling the triplets that Dallas once had."
Has MJD ever been disruptive to the team before this? He seems typically like a model-citizen type.

Has MJD ever been disruptive to the team before this? He seems typically like a model-citizen type.
You're probably right. I just can't stand the guy and it felt like a good chance to take another jab. :)

The man signed a contract which he's not honoring. That's all I need to know about him.
This post should be enough for most to have a handle on RN's ammo in here. When you post this you show how closed minded you are and it permeates into much of what you post. Not everything is so black and white, in fact most of the time it isn't. This case has merit on both sides and also both the owner and MJD are at fault for taking this out thru the media. Good Luck

The man signed a contract which he's not honoring. That's all I need to know about him.
This post should be enough for most to have a handle on RN's ammo in here. When you post this you show how closed minded you are and it permeates into much of what you post. Not everything is so black and white, in fact most of the time it isn't. This case has merit on both sides and also both the owner and MJD are at fault for taking this out thru the media. Good Luck
Like I said before, MOP, he's perfectly entitled to hold out. I just hope he keeps holding out. Forever.NOBODY will care.

I am taking this personally, and I really don't even know why. It's not like I'm a Jags fan. The best way I can explain it is this; I'll be on board with guys like MJD holding out for more money due to outplaying his contract just as soon as guys like JaMarcus Russell and Charles Rogers give back money due to sucking.

Vernon Gholston is the only player I know of who has given back money voluntarily, and I couldn't respect that any more.

Some people care less about money. Most NFL players that underperform could probably live comfortably even if they returned some of their money. But this is a business, the Owners risk nothing but money - but for them its risk v return. The players risk everything, on top of devoting their entire lives to getting to where they are at. Thats worth something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people care less about money. Most NFL players that underperform could probably live comfortably even if they returned some of their money. But this is a business, the Owners risk nothing but money - but for them its risk v return. The players risk everything, on top of devoting their entire lives to getting to where they are at. Thats worth something.
I'm hoping Khan sticks to his guns here. I have no reason to believe he won't. It will be interesting to see when, if ever, Jones-Drew swallows his pride and comes back in. I'd love to see a snapshot recap of the last dozen or so holdouts to see how many times each side ended up caving.

'Raider Nation said:
'Hipple said:

Adam subscribes to my newsletter.
Why do you and Schefter hate the Vikings, Bears and Packers?It is already bad. This would be a great move for the Lions as I think they will be above .500 this season without MJD. With MJD that 2nd rounder is going to look a lot more like a 3rd.

Where is this guy now landing in drafts? What is a "safe" area for him due to this holdout that seems to be getting nowhere?

Where is this guy now landing in drafts? What is a "safe" area for him due to this holdout that seems to be getting nowhere?
From Ian Rapoport's column this morning. Not exactly "hard news" so take it FWIW:
I can’t help but think the Maurice Jones-Drew Saga is coming to a close. How do I know? Because he’s talking. And the Jaguars running back is openly saying that his best bet is to stay with Jags. Which, ya know, duh. But the fact that he’s saying it is important. MJD noted that he’s not ready to miss games yet, and while teams are calling the Jags for possible trades, it doesn’t sound like that’s happening, either. Ya know, I think there’s a slight misconception when these holdouts happen. The assumption is that there is no dialogue. But the fact that GM Gene Smith and MJD talk every other day means they are inching toward something. Oh, and hearing Jones-Drew say that he slightly admires owner Shad Kahn for speaking his mind is important, too. I just don’t see any other outcome besides Jones-Drew showing up within the next week, expressing his love for the game, his devotion to his teammates, and his displeasure with his deal, which will likely get looked at by the team if he finishes this year with them. The only problem… without training camp, he may not be good right away. And that’s going to make MJD look terrible. Only problem with holding out is, you still gotta show up and be yourself. Can he be?

This is a common misconception among fans, but it's not applicable when it comes to non-guaranteed contracts. MJD is honoring the language of his contract, which gives him the right to sit out -- just like the Jaguars have the right to cut him.Do you think that NFL teams aren't "honoring the contracts" of all the players they cut?

This is a common misconception among fans, but it's not applicable when it comes to non-guaranteed contracts. MJD is honoring the language of his contract, which gives him the right to sit out -- just like the Jaguars have the right to cut him.Do you think that NFL teams aren't "honoring the contracts" of all the players they cut?
I said earlier, he has every right to sit out. And I hope he keeps doing so forever. :shrug:

I don't get why Jax would have taken this stance.They are a franchise that needs to keep their talent and best players happy. I think both sides could have found a common ground and worked on an extension that made sense for both sides.MJD has been the heart and soul of that team for the last number of years. I don't know how many people realize how great of an accomplishment it was that MJD won the rushing title last season. The skill players on Jax were god awful last year. Luke McCown started off leading that offense through the first 4 games and failed to throw for a td pass. Gabbert had as bad a rookie season as you can imagine and teams stacked the box knowing the only thing the Jags had was MJD. All MJD was able to do was lead the league in rushing and put up 1,980 combined yards with 11 td's. MJD is 27 and won't turn 28 till March. I get that rb's age quickly, but as I said previously work on an extension that makes both parties happy. Reward your top end talent who still have some good years in front of them. It's not as if Jax has to worry about plenty of players following MJD's lead thinking they deserve more money. They have no one else on that team that is a top 5 player at their position in the NFL that is in need of a contract as this stage.MJD is still a stud in the NFL. I think the Jags could have sent a message to their younger players and to other free agents in the league that if you play well and work hard for us then we will take care of you. I am sure that they would not have had to break the bank to do this and it's not as if the player in question is undeserving. I think this was terrible PR move by the Jags and their new owner. They already have plenty of questions about the franchise staying long term, and what direction they are heading. At the very least keep your best players and heart of your team happy.
Doesn't matter to me if he ran for 5,000 yards last year. A man honors his contract.
:wall:

I don't get why Jax would have taken this stance.They are a franchise that needs to keep their talent and best players happy. I think both sides could have found a common ground and worked on an extension that made sense for both sides.MJD has been the heart and soul of that team for the last number of years. I don't know how many people realize how great of an accomplishment it was that MJD won the rushing title last season. The skill players on Jax were god awful last year. Luke McCown started off leading that offense through the first 4 games and failed to throw for a td pass. Gabbert had as bad a rookie season as you can imagine and teams stacked the box knowing the only thing the Jags had was MJD. All MJD was able to do was lead the league in rushing and put up 1,980 combined yards with 11 td's. MJD is 27 and won't turn 28 till March. I get that rb's age quickly, but as I said previously work on an extension that makes both parties happy. Reward your top end talent who still have some good years in front of them. It's not as if Jax has to worry about plenty of players following MJD's lead thinking they deserve more money. They have no one else on that team that is a top 5 player at their position in the NFL that is in need of a contract as this stage.MJD is still a stud in the NFL. I think the Jags could have sent a message to their younger players and to other free agents in the league that if you play well and work hard for us then we will take care of you. I am sure that they would not have had to break the bank to do this and it's not as if the player in question is undeserving. I think this was terrible PR move by the Jags and their new owner. They already have plenty of questions about the franchise staying long term, and what direction they are heading. At the very least keep your best players and heart of your team happy.
Doesn't matter to me if he ran for 5,000 yards last year. A man honors his contract.
I get the impression you disagree.

Mjds problem was his leverage. As an aging rb he really couldnt go all in and sit out the season/retire. That and rashard jennings is ready ( had he done this last yr might have been more effective). That and the new owner wanted to set a tone for future negotiations.

Fwiw a deal That is freely revokable by one party without the need for cause is not a contract.
:goodposting:NFL "contracts" are simply pay-for-play agreements. Either side can decide to stop paying/playing while still "honoring" the language of the deal.MJD is honoring the contract when he agrees not to be paid while he sits out. Jacksonville is honoring the contract when it decides not to pay him after cutting him.

I get the impression you disagree.
I just cant stomach another thread explaining this every time theres a holdout.

I hope he sits at home all year eating cheetos watching football on his couch
I hope I get to sit at home all year eating cheetos watching football on my couch. That is exactly what I would do if I had millions of dollars. I think people overreacted early to this holdout, as if it every holdout ended up like chris johnson. That is not the case. Short lived holdouts happen all of the time, and it is mostly only the rookies and late holdouts who struggle badly. Johnson held out until september 1st, unusually late, and it showed. But this has now crossed the line. It is august 26, and mjd hasn't even agreed that he is coming back at some date in the future. Even if the likely turnaround happens, we are now looking at a september return, no training camp, and very possibly no preseason action whatsoever. Even if he has memorized the playbook and practiced every play at home between workouts, he is behind the 8 ball from the moment he arrives. And by comparison to johnson, who showed up 9/1 before their first regular season game on 9/11, the jags play on september 9th. That gives him four days to show up just to have as much time as johnson did last yearEven if he does return, Jennings has earned his snaps and will keep him from getting the kind of carries he needed to lead the league in rushing. Jones drew led the league with 343 rush attempts last year. Second was michael turner at 301. And while some people have cited him having few carries early in his career as a reason to think he can stick around for a while, over the last three years, nobody has touched the ball more on offense than jones drew except the guy people are comparing him to: chris johnson. (Credit to ff index for that point)So not only should you expect a dropoff in carries, but a dropoff in production with those carries due to overuse and the holdout. Yes, the offensive line looks good at run blocking again, and jennings has looked good in preseason action, but remember than jennings averaged north of 5.0 in his two prior healthy years as well. Put it all together, and the people still drafting him in the second are taking an enormous risk, not only that he returns at all, but that he is anything close to the player he was before. To justify both risks in a second round pick, you need him to return at least late first round value for your pick, and I just don't see it anymore. It certainly could happen, but the same could be said of all of those second and third round backs. I traded him away in one league, and was looking to acquire him in another, but I am no longer looking to take him back on unless it is at a substantial discount. The train has left the station.

'Raider Nation said:
You're probably right. I just can't stand the guy and it felt like a good chance to take another jab. :)
:confused: Do you know him personally? Why so much hate for a player that's actually a good guy?
:confused: Do you know him personally?
He actually is a really nice and humble guy in person. Not that it matters, but he is a good kid.
Well, if his radio show really was "shtick" as you say, it's a horrible one.He talked over callers, treated them like they were dummies if they made a comment he disagreed with, and generally acted like a pompous ###.

'Raider Nation said:
:confused: Do you know him personally? Why so much hate for a player that's actually a good guy?
:confused: Do you know him personally?
He actually is a really nice and humble guy in person. Not that it matters, but he is a good kid.
Well, if his radio show really was "shtick" as you say, it's a horrible one.He talked over callers, treated them like they were dummies if they made a comment he disagreed with, and generally acted like a pompous ###.
Surprising. I'm actually good friends with one of his high school teachers (he returns to the area every year to give back to the program in some fashion so she has seen him several times since going pro). She has always said he's a great guy.

Vito Stellino of the Florida Times Union agrees that Maurice Jones-Drew now appears likely to miss regular season games.

Jaguars GM Gene Smith adamantly replied "no" when asked whether Jones-Drew would be traded, and owner Shad Khan is fully supporting his general manager. Although Jones-Drew has forfeited over $1 million in training camp fines, weekly game checks will hit him hard. He's owed over $260,000 per week.

Vito Stellino of the Florida Times Union agrees that Maurice Jones-Drew now appears likely to miss regular season games.Jaguars GM Gene Smith adamantly replied "no" when asked whether Jones-Drew would be traded, and owner Shad Khan is fully supporting his general manager. Although Jones-Drew has forfeited over $1 million in training camp fines, weekly game checks will hit him hard. He's owed over $260,000 per week.
And you want to be my latex salesman.

FWIW, Jones-Drew being a nice guy has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he has zero leverage, and is going to come crawling into the Jags offices soon, and play for whatever his contract says. He doesn't deserve a new deal any more than any other player who signed their second contract.

Don't worry MJD, you'll be a free agent in two years. Then you can sign with whoever you want!!!

Shad Khan will win this one, and the next one, if MJD wants to pull this crap next year. If Gabbert actually can play QB, the fans will be happy. If the Jags improve, whether MJD is happy or not, the fans will be happy.

FTR, he went 3.8 in my keeper PPR league this week. With ~20 keepers already OTB, that's equivalent to him going in the 5th rd

Passed on him in the 2nd this Sunday and felt bad about thinking he would be reporting by now. Probably going to pass on him in the 3rd tonight. This is not looking good with both Schefter and beat-writer saying he'll miss multiple games.

If a RB, under contract, and over performs his existing contract and holds out for more money ... can a Team do the same thing when a RB is under contract and UNDER performs? Should the team be able to say " hey, we know you've got 4 years left but you just didn't enough ... so we're going to hold cut your salary by 1/3 and you'll not play a down until you agree to it "

same thing, right ?

If a RB, under contract, and over performs his existing contract and holds out for more money ... can a Team do the same thing when a RB is under contract and UNDER performs? Should the team be able to say " hey, we know you've got 4 years left but you just didn't enough ... so we're going to hold cut your salary by 1/3 and you'll not play a down until you agree to it "same thing, right ?
Reducing his salary is not the same thing. It's all or nothing on both sides. Teams can cut players they don't think are worth paying. Players can hold out and not get paid in order to get a new contract or a trade. But neither side can decide it is only going to live up to part of the contract.

'Bucky86 said:
:angry: Now I have to overpay in the first week of FA waiver bidding on Jennings...I have to insure myself for 2-3 weeks of MJD sitting out and the high possibility he injures himself after returning.
I think you just need to be thankful Jennings is available in your league for FA bidding. Jennings went for $10 in both of my auctions so far.

'Alex P Keaton said:
'Art Vandalay said:
Vito Stellino of the Florida Times Union agrees that Maurice Jones-Drew now appears likely to miss regular season games.Jaguars GM Gene Smith adamantly replied "no" when asked whether Jones-Drew would be traded, and owner Shad Khan is fully supporting his general manager. Although Jones-Drew has forfeited over $1 million in training camp fines, weekly game checks will hit him hard. He's owed over $260,000 per week.
And you want to be my latex salesman.
I would love to work for Vandalay Industries. I think both parties are within their rights, I just hope Jennings gives me 3 good games as he is a perfect pairing for Mathews owner.

If a RB, under contract, and over performs his existing contract and holds out for more money ... can a Team do the same thing when a RB is under contract and UNDER performs? Should the team be able to say " hey, we know you've got 4 years left but you just didn't enough ... so we're going to hold cut your salary by 1/3 and you'll not play a down until you agree to it "same thing, right ?
They do it all he time. Its called release and resign

'Bucky86 said:
:angry: Now I have to overpay in the first week of FA waiver bidding on Jennings...I have to insure myself for 2-3 weeks of MJD sitting out and the high possibility he injures himself after returning.
I think you just need to be thankful Jennings is available in your league for FA bidding. Jennings went for $10 in both of my auctions so far.
I don't know why everyone feels the need to draft/reach for Jennings. MJD will be back, and when he does, Jennings' value drops tremendously. Instead of reaching for MJD's handcuff, other backs can be available around the Same time that provide more value and flexibility. RBs like Beanie, Ryan Williams, deAngelo, Ingram, Stewart, Michael Bush and Helu have approximately the same ADP. They all have potential RB2/RB3 value all season long.Drafting someone like Ingram or Stewart provides options you won't have with Jennings.

I hope he sits at home all year eating cheetos watching football on his couch
I hope I get to sit at home all year eating cheetos watching football on my couch. That is exactly what I would do if I had millions of dollars. I think people overreacted early to this holdout, as if it every holdout ended up like chris johnson. That is not the case. Short lived holdouts happen all of the time, and it is mostly only the rookies and late holdouts who struggle badly. Johnson held out until september 1st, unusually late, and it showed.

But this has now crossed the line. It is august 26, and mjd hasn't even agreed that he is coming back at some date in the future. Even if the likely turnaround happens, we are now looking at a september return, no training camp, and very possibly no preseason action whatsoever. Even if he has memorized the playbook and practiced every play at home between workouts, he is behind the 8 ball from the moment he arrives. And by comparison to johnson, who showed up 9/1 before their first regular season game on 9/11, the jags play on september 9th. That gives him four days to show up just to have as much time as johnson did last year

Even if he does return, Jennings has earned his snaps and will keep him from getting the kind of carries he needed to lead the league in rushing. Jones drew led the league with 343 rush attempts last year. Second was michael turner at 301. And while some people have cited him having few carries early in his career as a reason to think he can stick around for a while, over the last three years, nobody has touched the ball more on offense than jones drew except the guy people are comparing him to: chris johnson. (Credit to ff index for that point)

So not only should you expect a dropoff in carries, but a dropoff in production with those carries due to overuse and the holdout. Yes, the offensive line looks good at run blocking again, and jennings has looked good in preseason action, but remember than jennings averaged north of 5.0 in his two prior healthy years as well.

Put it all together, and the people still drafting him in the second are taking an enormous risk, not only that he returns at all, but that he is anything close to the player he was before. To justify both risks in a second round pick, you need him to return at least late first round value for your pick, and I just don't see it anymore. It certainly could happen, but the same could be said of all of those second and third round backs.

I traded him away in one league, and was looking to acquire him in another, but I am no longer looking to take him back on unless it is at a substantial discount. The train has left the station.
I took him late in the second (got Ray Rice in the first), but this is definitely disheartening.
'3nOut said:
'Bucky86 said:
I don't know why everyone feels the need to draft/reach for Jennings. MJD will be back, and when he does, Jennings' value drops tremendously. Instead of reaching for MJD's handcuff, other backs can be available around the Same time that provide more value and flexibility. RBs like Beanie, Ryan Williams, deAngelo, Ingram, Stewart, Michael Bush and Helu have approximately the same ADP. They all have potential RB2/RB3 value all season long.Drafting someone like Ingram or Stewart provides options you won't have with Jennings.
I agree with this though. Unless people are seeing a truly CJ-esque showing by MJD upon his return, then there's no reason to panic. Getting last year's lead rusher in the late second or third isn't something to be worried about. I had the opportunity to get Jennings, but opted to get deAngelo and Michael Bush instead -- both have a far bigger and more likely upside.

I think the MJD-Chris Johnson comparisons are nothing more than recency bias. Johnson held out and got his money, but his heart wasn't in it when he returned. From what I've read (and I'm sure many other have as well), MJD lives for football. Obviously there's a business side to the game, but you can bet your bottom dollar that MJD is going to play his heart out once he returns. If people think he hasn't been working out or won't be motivated this season, keep passing him over. I'll be happy to grab him in the late second/early third round.

That's the only reason why you can't stand the guy? :rolleyes:

Jesus pal. I wish I was your employer since you are so obedient to authority.
I am the employer.Pal.
Employer of what? Your lawnmowing business? :rolleyes:
BURN!!!!!111!! :nerd:
:lmao: I like you man but you gotta layoff of MJD. He's not a thug or a trouble maker, the guy realizes his career is almost over and just wants to plan for the future. Is he gonna get what he wants? That's another story but no need to crucify the guy for doing something to look out for himself. Let's face it, the NFL doesn't care about their former players...

Only thing that worries me is the new Trade Deadline extension being pushed back to Week 9 I believe. Khan strikes me as the guy that would refuse to trade MJD up until Week 9, just to spite him. Khan still gets his draft picks, but MJD loses more than half a season. Just speculation of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Had to pull the trigger on MJD on the turn in a RB depleted keeper league, but I managed to grab Jennings at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
I draft tonight and MJD would have to really, really plummet for me to consider drafting him.

I think he is just stubborn enough to sit out all year.

I think a lot of people are going to say "let him be someone else's headache" but let's be honest: every man has his price and he can only fall so far before someone thinks "If I get MJD production here, drafting him at this spot, I can win my league" and I don't think that spot is very low. I would be shocked if he falls mid-3rd in any draft.

Users who are viewing this thread