What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MJD to Holdout (1 Viewer)

Terrible post. Jennings is 27. When MJD is done Jennings will be as well.
:goodposting: MJD is a month younger and a mile better than Jennings. The odds that Jennings plays longer than Jones-Drew are pretty low. Jennings, Redman, Starks, T Choice, etc etc etc... every year there's are fairly untalented backups who get overbought because they have 'opportunity'. But in the NFL you have to be really good to take advantage of that for more than a few games. There's almost always someone fairly talented hanging around to take advantage of the same opportunity. Every now and then you get a Ryan Grant or Chester Taylor who are able to hang onto the job for a year or two, but they're the exceptions.

How is his injury risk more then say Nicks or TRich, who have been out of commission the whole time also...
Good point. I suppose that the even greater risk with Mjd is that he just sucks or is very slow out of the gate bc he doesn't know the new offense that has been installed. I wonder if he, like Mike Wallace, had the Playbook all offseason. The question is how long will it take him to get into football shape and learn the offense. 3 weeks? 5? And I suppose their is a heightened risk for injury during that time but no more than with trich

Loving this news after noticing that Jennings was getting spelled by Owens on 3rd downs.

The holdout injury concerns will only be valid if they rush MJD back in. I'm guessing that won't be a problem, Mularkey comes across as a guy that would start him with the 2s...or even the scout team. Jennings was already named the Week 1 starter and I'm guessing that sticks.

The FF strategy for anyone who drafted MJD was always to handcuff w/ Jennings, and get two other solid options at RB so you can let things shake out for a nice 2nd half run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maurice Jones-Drew ended his holdout and reported to Jaguars camp on Sunday.

The holdout lasted 38 days. As a result, Jones-Drew could be slapped with a $1.2 million fine from the team, according to the AP's Mark Long. With players set to start receiving their paychecks this week, Jones-Drew's holdout never figured to last past the first day or so in September. It's going to take the league's 2011 leading rusher a few weeks to get up to game speed, so Rashad Jennings figures to handle the bulk of the workload in the meantime. Still, it won't be long before he's back to 20 or so touches each game. He's back on the board as a back-end RB1 in fantasy drafts.

So what is MJD's current value?RB14-15ish?
Oh, I think it's much higher, I'd say about 7 or 8. I wouldn't call you crazy if you wanted to go as high as 4.The holdout gives bad juju, but on paper, he's a healthy elite RB that should only miss one game.

It seems as if these guys always show up in the end. Who was the last star NFL player who actually allowed his holdout to last into the regular season? I don't remember.

It seems as if these guys always show up in the end. Who was the last star NFL player who actually allowed his holdout to last into the regular season? I don't remember.
Vincent Jackson last year.
Was he a star?
It wasn't last year it was the year before but he sure got paid like a star this year.Also everyone was pretty happy when Chris Johnson finally signed and his 1st half of the season tanked several teams because of his hold out.

A bad franchise with a good running back is still a bad franchise. No reason to overpay the runner no matter how much "heart & soul" he brings to the team. MJD is a replaceable cog and he knows it

Was he a star?
It wasn't last year it was the year before but he sure got paid like a star this year.Also everyone was pretty happy when Chris Johnson finally signed and his 1st half of the season tanked several teams because of his hold out.
MJD basically missed camp and preseason last year and did okay. He had 1 carry for 5 yards in the 2011 preseason. This year he is clearly further behind but if he is in shape it should be a quick recovery.

He hasn't even seen the new playbook.

He wont be a fulltime back until week 3 or 4 at the earliest.

It seems the list of holdouts with down years is a little longer than the list of holdouts with good years.CJohnsonVJaxCrabtreeJRussellI knw there are a lot more just drawing a blank. Was DWill a holdout or just overpaid?

It seems the list of holdouts with down years is a little longer than the list of holdouts with good years.CJohnsonVJaxCrabtreeJRussellI knw there are a lot more just drawing a blank. Was DWill a holdout or just overpaid?
Crabtree?JRussell?Not exactly a one to one comparison for MJD. :)

Barry Sanders only attended a few training camps in his whole career if memory serves.

How is his injury risk more then say Nicks or TRich, who have been out of commission the whole time also...
Good point. I suppose that the even greater risk with Mjd is that he just sucks or is very slow out of the gate bc he doesn't know the new offense that has been installed. I wonder if he, like Mike Wallace, had the Playbook all offseason. The question is how long will it take him to get into football shape and learn the offense. 3 weeks? 5? And I suppose their is a heightened risk for injury during that time but no more than with trich
I would imagine as a coach you would not want to have your plays "out there" unless you were 100% sure that he was returning; this goes for Wallace too.

He had a limited playbook.Rotoworld

Although he's not participating in offseason practices, Maurice Jones-Drew does have a copy of the same limited playbook that the rest of his teammates are using.Coordinator Bob Bratkowski is "sure" Jones-Drew can get caught up once he returns, and coach Mike Mularkey is assuming his star runner will be "alright." The players won't receive a full playbook until training camp. As always, offseason practices are overblown for veteran players.

It seems the list of holdouts with down years is a little longer than the list of holdouts with good years.

CJohnson

VJax

Crabtree

JRussell

I knw there are a lot more just drawing a blank. Was DWill a holdout or just overpaid?
You give the Panthers too much credit. People don't need to holdout to get them to pay huge money for unnecessary or injury prone players.

Curious to see if it turns out to be good or bad (for his fantasy prospects) that the Jags shocked the world and didn't do the dumb thing that most teams do (especially bad teams).

On the one hand, it would make since that MJD would be highly motivated because he's still in a position of having to earn his big contract. Certainly no chance for "fatcat syndrome" (though I doubt MJD was ever a candidate for that).

On the other hand, he's just been told by a very bad team that he's not really necessary. Even though it's true, I'd have to think the motivation to beat yourself up fighting for that extra yard has to be diminished somewhat.

It sounds like he's not real fired up to be there and he absolutely should be feeling under-appreciated right now. That doesn't sound like a recipe for excellence.

It'd be one thing if he felt like he had something to prove, but he does not.

It's pretty clear the Jags are (wisely) going to use him and abuse him and spit him out as a 29 YO. That's not a very motivating thought, I'm sure, for these next 2 years.

It's the possibility for that type of less focused and motivated mindset that concerns me on him this year. Whether it leads to injury or a mediocre season, who knows?

Maybe I'm just rationalizing why I didn't spend the extra buck on him.....

I think he does have something to prove. He held out 38 days because he thinks he's paid less than he's worth. If he doesn't play well, he'll just prove the Jags were right.

I think he does have something to prove. He held out 38 days because he thinks he's paid less than he's worth. If he doesn't play well, he'll just prove the Jags were right.
Maybe. I have no idea what his mindset is, but I could see where might not feel like he has something to prove.He just led the league with a 1600 yard season and has been one of the 3 best RBs in the league over the last 3 years. I think he's already done the proving part.

Curious to see if it turns out to be good or bad (for his fantasy prospects) that the Jags shocked the world and didn't do the dumb thing that most teams do (especially bad teams).On the one hand, it would make since that MJD would be highly motivated because he's still in a position of having to earn his big contract. Certainly no chance for "fatcat syndrome" (though I doubt MJD was ever a candidate for that). On the other hand, he's just been told by a very bad team that he's not really necessary. Even though it's true, I'd have to think the motivation to beat yourself up fighting for that extra yard has to be diminished somewhat. It sounds like he's not real fired up to be there and he absolutely should be feeling under-appreciated right now. That doesn't sound like a recipe for excellence.It'd be one thing if he felt like he had something to prove, but he does not. It's pretty clear the Jags are (wisely) going to use him and abuse him and spit him out as a 29 YO. That's not a very motivating thought, I'm sure, for these next 2 years. It's the possibility for that type of less focused and motivated mindset that concerns me on him this year. Whether it leads to injury or a mediocre season, who knows?Maybe I'm just rationalizing why I didn't spend the extra buck on him.....
Which do you think is more motivating? Not trying to play your hardest and get that extra yard so that your team has even less desire to renegotiate a new contract when you have 1 year left, or put up another top RB in the league performance so that you atleast have a little leverage when you holdout next off season for a new contract while going into the last year of a contract? If he dogs it for 1-2 years, do you think any other franchise will give him a big bucks deal?

Maybe. I have no idea what his mindset is, but I could see where might not feel like he has something to prove.He just led the league with a 1600 yard season and has been one of the 3 best RBs in the league over the last 3 years. I think he's already done the proving part.
Not if he wants another contract. He has 2 years left on this deal- do you think another team is going to be throwing money at a 29 year old RB coming off of 2 down years if he half-asses it? That doesn't mean the holdout won't hurt his performance, but it won't be due to lack of motivation IMO. He'd basically have to give up on another payday if he did that.

This has mess written all over it. Mularkey has no history with MJD. If Jennings does well in week 1, what incentive does Mularkey have to give MJD the lion's share of touches in the following games?

Curious to see if it turns out to be good or bad (for his fantasy prospects) that the Jags shocked the world and didn't do the dumb thing that most teams do (especially bad teams).On the one hand, it would make since that MJD would be highly motivated because he's still in a position of having to earn his big contract. Certainly no chance for "fatcat syndrome" (though I doubt MJD was ever a candidate for that). On the other hand, he's just been told by a very bad team that he's not really necessary. Even though it's true, I'd have to think the motivation to beat yourself up fighting for that extra yard has to be diminished somewhat. It sounds like he's not real fired up to be there and he absolutely should be feeling under-appreciated right now. That doesn't sound like a recipe for excellence.It'd be one thing if he felt like he had something to prove, but he does not. It's pretty clear the Jags are (wisely) going to use him and abuse him and spit him out as a 29 YO. That's not a very motivating thought, I'm sure, for these next 2 years. It's the possibility for that type of less focused and motivated mindset that concerns me on him this year. Whether it leads to injury or a mediocre season, who knows?Maybe I'm just rationalizing why I didn't spend the extra buck on him.....
Which do you think is more motivating? Not trying to play your hardest and get that extra yard so that your team has even less desire to renegotiate a new contract when you have 1 year left, or put up another top RB in the league performance so that you atleast have a little leverage when you holdout next off season for a new contract while going into the last year of a contract? If he dogs it for 1-2 years, do you think any other franchise will give him a big bucks deal?
I agree. The most logical thing to do and the right thing to do, is go play your hardest to get that payday.Also, I don't think MJD would intentionally tank.I'm talking those under-appreciated feelings and semi-conscious "why am I busting my hump on this crappy team that doesn't appreciate me?" thoughts that might creep in. It's a very normal thing to let those thoughts and feelings lead to a slightly lowered motivation, even if it isn't the most logical thing (humans, largely, aren't logical beings). Every day, in all walks of life, people let feelings of being under-appreciation and/or being in an undesirable situation get in the way of their performance, even though it makes no sense. Tanking it and not having that massive drive are very different things. But not having that sharp focus and huge motivation can lead to some pretty dismal results.

This has mess written all over it. Mularkey has no history with MJD. If Jennings does well in week 1, what incentive does Mularkey have to give MJD the lion's share of touches in the following games?
Other than MJD's a better RB, and coaches want to play the guy who gives them the best chance to win?

Seriously? Mularkey has history preparing to face MJD. He is well aware of who he is and what has proven he can do.

Mularkey has history preparing to face MJD.
No he doesn't. Unless you think offensive coordinators prepare for the other team's running back. Which, I concede, you might.
"Preparing to face" was a poor choice of words but the idea that there is going to be a mess because Mularkey is a new coach is laughable. MJD will have less carries this year but it will about the same ratio it would have been last season if Jennings wasn't on IR. The fact that they do not have history together do not mean that Mularkey has not seen his work.

MJD is doing a presser right now. I am sure the clips will be available soon.
Let's see...."I decided to come in for my teammates" has got to be the odds-on favorite.
"Get it all out here today...I'm done with all the negaitve after this.......just want to go play football."In response to what he thought was a poor question: "We're not all blessed to have gone to UCLA, I'll help you out"

‎"I love the way Blaine's progressed. I see you guys are off of his back now. Guess I wasn't lying to you last year huh?" ....Vito says a comment... "Vito(local beat writer) you're such a hater man!" - one of MJD's best parts of the press conference.

He is firing away.

Interesting...

Jacksonville Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew will be among the first group of players to return to practice under rules that were recently tweaked as part of the new injured reserve and trade deadline adjustments.Jones-Drew will be allowed to practice in pads beginning Monday, if he passes his physical Sunday, according to an NFL spokesman.Before the recent changes to rules, players had to wait three days before being allowed to practice in pads after passing their physical â as was the case for several players, including Jones-Drewâs rookie teammate, Justin Blackmon, after he joined the team during training camp after missing several days in a contract dispute.Jones-Drew's immediate availability to practice could factor into whether he will play in Jacksonville's regular-season opener against the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday.The practice change was part of a deal that allows teams to designate an injured player for injured reserve then bring him back later in the season. Moving the trade deadline back two weeks -- until after Week 8 -- also was part of the deal.

Players show up before the big paychecks arrive. We go through this every year, and yet it's always treated like a surprise when a long contract dispute ends just before the regular season.

Maurice Jones-Drew is back with the Jacksonville Jaguars before Week 1, just like we said he would throughout the whole process.

This holdout will go down as one of the most pointless in recent history for everyone involved. It would have likely ended sooner if not for Jaguars owner Shad Khan's unnecessary comments towards Jones-Drew that only served to inflame the dispute at a time when it was about to end.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network and NFL.com reports that running back Rashad Jennings will start Week 1 of the season. This is practical -- Jones-Drew probably isn't ready -- and it sends a message that Jennings' great work in the preseason will not be forgotten. Don't be surprised if Jennings sharply cuts into Jones-Drew's carries this year.

Jones-Drew didn't get any extra money out of the holdout. Time will tell if missing camp hurts his effectiveness like it did for Chris Johnson last year or Larry Johnson in 2007. Those guys signed big new deals at the end of the holdout rainbow; Jones-Drew will wait to find out if he loses the money Jacksonville has the right to take from him through fines.

This will be trumpeted as a victory for the Jaguars, but it wasn't a difficult decision. Jones-Drew had two years left on a generous five-year deal. Paying aging running backs is foolish; paying an aging running back with two years left on his contract would have been insane.

The Jaguars can only say they stood on some principled, disciplined ground if they actually go through with fining Jones-Drew, which is very rare in these cases.

This turned out to be a waste of time for Jones-Drew and his agent. It was an unnecessary distraction for the Jaguars and won't help them compete in 2012. We wasted far too much time writing and talking about it.

The only saving grace here is that the holdout is over. It happened just before the real money was due, just like always.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

Jaguars coach Mike Mularkey says he was impressed by Maurice Jones-Drew's physical condition after he reported Sunday, and the team will work to get him involved in the offense as soon as possible.

"I can tell he’s ready to go, so we’ll be working with him to get him up to speed as quickly as possible," Mularkey said. We suspect Jones-Drew will be active for the Jaguars' opener, but Rashad Jennings will start and handle the bulk of the workload. Jacksonville squares off with Minnesota next Sunday
Rotoworld

Ignore lhucks. MJD back in late 1st/early second. Will be starting week 2.
I don't know why everybody cares if he is starting, what they should care about is his workload.He's not going to have RB1 workload until week 3 or 4.

Users who are viewing this thread