What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My childhood house is on the market. (1 Viewer)

Galileo

Footballguy
The house I grew up in is for sale. There is an open house this weekend and I am thinking of taking a stroll down memory lane. The place is actually quite different as seen from the pictures in the listing. Among other things, I am curious to see my old bedroom which is not pictured. I last lived there during part of the year after graduating college in 1991. My parents moved out of there in 2001. Anybody ever go visit their childhood home after being out for such a long time? Would you bother if the opportunity came up? It's only about 25 minutes away from my current home. Nostalgia overrated?

The house I grew up in is for sale. There is an open house this weekend and I am thinking of taking a stroll down memory lane. The place is actually quite different as seen from the pictures in the listing. Among other things, I am curious to see my old bedroom which is not pictured. I last lived there during part of the year after graduating college in 1991. My parents moved out of there in 2001. Anybody ever go visit their childhood home after being out for such a long time? Would you bother if the opportunity came up? It's only about 25 minutes away from my current home. Nostalgia overrated?
Before I moved out of NY, I went to visit the house I grew up in, from only a few months old until 18. I was tempted to ring the bell but didn't. I would definitely go in during an open house.

It's actually a pretty good deal for the amount of house at the listed price. However, the taxes are ridiculously high in that community. I am not looking to move and will not be buying it. My sister on the other hand, who moved to the Atlanta area back in the early '90s has been considering a move back. She has been half joking about buying it.

My parents sold the house I grew up in 40 years ago for $130K. Now it’s worth $3M. That blows my mind.

Last edited:
It would be great to go in there unannounced and show the realtor secret stuff that they don't even know.
Not too much that is secret. I did have a stash spot in the wall behind an intercom system that was never fully installed. We also painted/drew a ton of stuff on the floor boards of my sister's room between carpet tear out and replacement. I would love to see some of that graffiti. Do you think they would mind if I pulled up the existing carpet? lol

It would be great to go in there unannounced and show the realtor secret stuff that they don't even know.
Not too much that is secret. I did have a stash spot in the wall behind an intercom system that was never fully installed. We also painted/drew a ton of stuff on the floor boards of my sister's room between carpet tear out and replacement. I would love to see some of that graffiti. Do you think they would mind if I pulled up the existing carpet? lol
"I'm serioulsy considering making an offer, but I'm curious if there is real hardwood under here..."

worked with a woman and found out that her family bought the house i grew up in

i asked if it would be possible for me to stop over some time for the nostalgia and she was really, really weird about it. never went. they've since moved out, but i think the people who bought it after her have been in the place since... like 15 years.

maybe one day.

Found out a high school classmate bought my childhood home and totally redid it. Said I wouldn't recognize it if I visited it.

2 years ago I considered buying my high school home.

My brother - uh those were the worst years of my life. Mom - your dad cheated on me there. Dad - no, don't. :lmao:

Still wish I had as an investment.

My parents sold our the house I grew up in 40 years ago for $130K. Now it’s worth $3M. That blows my mind.
was it made of bitcoin or what take that to the bank brohans
A 130k house 40 years ago was probably pretty nice. 100k was sort of the "million" in the late 70s. At least around here.

House values really took off towards the end of the 70s though. Then the interest rates hit like credit card levels and put the brakes on that for a time.

I'd do it, no question. My parents still live in the same house I grew up in, but I'd totally even jump on the chance to look around our own first house with my wife and kids. It's only been 14 years since we moved, but since that's where we lived when my kids were born and until they were 9 and 6, I have a ton of fond memories of that place.

I knocked on the door of my childhood house and the owners were quite happy to show me around. The same thing happened to us, the previous owners and THIRTY of their relatives showed up to see our house. They gave us 8 hours notice, we cleaned like crazy. Their family lived in our house for almost 50 years.

Did you bury a body in the backyard or something?
No, not that I am aware of. However, there were times when we thought dad had some mob connections. He definitely knew some people, but sadly he never seemed to share in any of the wealth. So any ties, if real, couldn't have been that strong with the right people.

I’ve driven past my childhood house on occasion. It’s absolutely disgraceful the level of blight and disrepair that has befallen it.

The house was never great but when we were there it was at least tidy and kept up. Meanwhile, our neighbors’ house had wood rot and holes in the roof (that my parents actually paid some to fix along with a fresh coat of paint to increase the odds of our house selling).

Now that neighbor’s house looks 5x better than our house. It’s really sad.

Did you bury a body in the backyard or something?
No, not that I am aware of. However, there were times when we thought dad had some mob connections. He definitely knew some people, but sadly he never seemed to share in any of the wealth. So any ties, if real, couldn't have been that strong with the right people.
Or your Dad was smart enough to not take them up on any offers.

Last edited:
Drove by the first house I lived in during a recent trip to Philly. Looks the same and I have no interest in going inside. On the other hand, the second house I lived in outside Milwaukee looks different and would love to see what it looks like inside.

Grew up an army brat. Never felt any real compulsion to go into previous homes but have revisited a couple of the neighborhoods.

The 1st home I bought was owned at one time by a well known blacksmith (well, I guess in blacksmithing circles he was well known). We had a couple of blacksmiths visit who wanted to see some hardware; drawer pulls, hinges etc., in the house for projects they were working on.
I probably should have removed all that when I sold the house as I knew the new owners were putting in all new cabinets etc., and probably replaced the hardware with ersatz stuff from a retail store.

My parents live in the house my dad grew up in which is right around the corner from my house. After my grandfather passed away my parents sold my childhood home and moved in with my grandmother.

I see it regularly - but haven't been inside ---- I've only lived in 2 homes since I was 5. My childhood house and my current (not including going off to college etc)

It's actually a pretty good deal for the amount of house at the listed price. However, the taxes are ridiculously high in that community. I am not looking to move and will not be buying it. My sister on the other hand, who moved to the Atlanta area back in the early '90s has been considering a move back. She has been half joking about buying it.
The house I grew up in out in Twinsburg was scooped up at a tax auction. My wife and I considered going after it, but it needed soooo much work, we wouldn’t have been able to pull it off.

I’d love to go back and see what kind of changes they’ve made, and would also just like to roam the woods behind the house where we played as kids.

I love going to open houses to see how houses are laid out. Going to an open house of house I lived in for many years would also be awesome just to see what was done since I moved. I would be doing that for sure.

I now live on the other side of the country from the home I grew up in. My parents got divorced when I moved away for college freshman year and sold the home. So, it's been ~20 years for me.

When I go back to visit, and I'm in the area of the home, I'll usually drive by. It usually strikes me how small it looks.

I don't think it's weird or odd for you to attend he open house if it's not much effort to do so.

The house I grew up in out in Twinsburg was scooped up at a tax auction. My wife and I considered going after it, but it needed soooo much work, we wouldn’t have been able to pull it off.

I’d love to go back and see what kind of changes they’ve made, and would also just like to roam the woods behind the house where we played as kids.
I would ebt the woods are gone and there is a new housing development there. Twinsburg has really grown over the years

I grew up in Shaker Heights. Since you are familiar with the area, you probably understand my taxes comment. The people who bought it from my parents defaulted and the house went through foreclosure not long after (housing bubble mid 2000's). Someone eventually bought it for about 1/2 of what my parents sold it for. They have done significant updating and remodeling and it is now being sold for about twice what my parents sold it for.

My parents sold our the house I grew up in 40 years ago for $130K. Now it’s worth $3M. That blows my mind.
was it made of bitcoin or what take that to the bank brohans
A 130k house 40 years ago was probably pretty nice. 100k was sort of the "million" in the late 70s. At least around here.

House values really took off towards the end of the 70s though. Then the interest rates hit like credit card levels and put the brakes on that for a time.
so this is what is like living with wicker furniture i guess around me the houses normally just go down in value at the neighborhood goes to hell sure must be nice take that to the bank brochacho

Nostalgia overrated?
Nah. My extended family lives near the house I grew up in. When I visit, it's fun to drive by the house and other landmarks that bring back memories. Have fun!
I don't live far and have driven through the community a few times per year for various purposes over the years. The first house I bought was only a half mile away. Driving by over the years, I have seen changes to the landscaping and exterior of the house. I am curious about the interior, but I can see many pictures posted online in the listing so the mystery isn't as great.

My great-grandfather’s farm was owned by a distant cousin. We had the annual Anderson family reunions there, not just my maternal GF but all six of his siblings as well. Good 75 people would show up, tons of kids, we’d roast a pig, go on hay wagon rides, play horseshoes. It came up for sale about twenty years ago and prelisting everyone got a flyer. It was like $125K for the farmhouse, barn & 130 acres. Everyone passed; it’s in a rural area about equidistant from Grand Rapids and Lansing. I’d love to drop by sometime to see what it looks like. Probably chopped up into subsdivisions now.

My principal family home (up to age 14) was sold to a young couple 25 years ago. No idea what he deal is as everyone migrated to Lake Michigan in ghe 1980s but on Google earth it looks like trash. Siding falling off, poorly maintained landscaping, makes my heart ache. Our little freshwater lake summer cottage was torn down and replaced with an oversized McMansion that’s completely out of scale with the rest of the houses around it. The horse farm I lived in during my high school years looks pristine, whoever owns it has it looking great.

I’m rarely in that part of Michigan but if any of them were on the market would love to walk through them.

I would ebt the woods are gone and there is a new housing development there. Twinsburg has really grown over the years
Funny enough- I just looked it up on google earth. The woods are still there, but the house was torn down and a new one built in its place.

I took my son back to the Twin Cities last summer. We swung by the hospital he was born at and then the first place we lived at in South Minneapolis. He was thrilled to take a pic out front (sarcasm, he's 9). Went by my old office in St. Paul and then the house we lived at there for a year. We were taking pics outside and the owner's kid was watching us through the front screen door and the owner eventually came out and asked - in a nice way - what we were doing. Told her that we used to live here, blah blah blah... turns out it was the family that took over our lease. They were coincidentally moving back to the Cities from California.... where we were moving back to ourselves.

My parents still own the house I grew up in. I'm there pretty much every week and would be devastated if they ever sold it. I assume once they pass on that me and my sister will co-own it and rent it out.

I assume once they pass on that me and my sister will co-own it and rent it out.
Have that conversation with her before your parents pass, she may prefer to sell. You might have to buy out her half or she gets something else from your parent's estate instead.

My parents are in the same house I grew up in.. since 76

edit: their will insists upon my brother and I selling it and splitting profits. I am more sentimental about it, but could never buy him out (same neighborhood as Robin Williams and Sharon Stone)

Users who are viewing this thread