What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Edge Ranking (1 Viewer)

LHUCKS

Footballguy
RB Rankings

----Tier 1-----------

Alexander

LJ

LT

-----Tier 2----------

Tiki

Portis

Jordan

Cadillac

Jackson

#9 Edge

I cannot endorse a higher ranking until I see substantive proof that the O Line has improved. As an Arizona resident I can tell you last year's group was the worst run blocking line I have ever seen in my 20 years of watching NFL football. I am not exaggerating.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I would also rate Ronnie Brown and Rudi Johnson ahead of him at this point...

Sounds about right LHUCKS. Ultimately I think he'll go late 1st regardless of what the Cards do with their offensive line, it's just a matter of whether taking him at that point makes sense or not.

RB Rankings

----Tier 1-----------

Alexander

LJ

LT

-----Tier 2----------

Tiki

Portis

Jordan

Cadillac

Jackson

#9 Edge
That seems a little high for Jordan IMHO - but overall pretty a good list.

RB Rankings

----Tier 1-----------

Alexander

LJ

LT

-----Tier 2----------

Tiki

Portis

Jordan

Cadillac

Jackson

#9 Edge

I cannot endorse a higher ranking until I see substantive proof that the O Line has improved.  As an Arizona resident I can tell you last year's group was the worst run blocking line I have ever seen in my 20 years of watching NFL football.  I am not exaggerating.
What would drafting T Winston Justice at the 10 slot and moving Davis to G do for your Edge ranking? That would make changes to 3 positions at the O-line with new G Milford Brown...
Rookie tackle :unsure:

Of course it is all dependent on your league scoring system but that is the same spot I have him ranked at for my league. Some of the guys in front of him are different but overall it looks very similar to my list.

I think I would also rate Ronnie Brown and Rudi Johnson ahead of him at this point...
With regards to Rudi, Perry scares me and that's just enough to put him behind Edge...limited upside as well. Edge has upside in that offense.I haven't decided on where I'm going to put Ronnie yet. It scares me that he's never been a full time back for an entire year...not even in college. If Ricky goes I think he deserves consideration.

If Ricky is traded away from Miami, I would move Ronnie into top 10 consideration. I'm still not 100% sold on Steven Jackson although I know he's got his supporters.

If Ricky is traded away from Miami, I would move Ronnie into top 10 consideration. I'm still not 100% sold on Steven Jackson although I know he's got his supporters.
Agree with both. I could see me flip flopping Jackson/Edge.

In a 2 PPR league, my top 10 looks like this:

LT

LJ

Jordan

Tiki

SA

Westbrook

Edge

Portis

Rudi

SJAX
Westbrook certainly skyrockets in any ppr league...especially 2ppr. That's pretty high for Rudi though.

RB Rankings

----Tier 1-----------

Alexander

LJ

LT

-----Tier 2----------

Tiki

Portis

Jordan

Cadillac

Jackson

#9 Edge

I cannot endorse a higher ranking until I see substantive proof that the O Line has improved. As an Arizona resident I can tell you last year's group was the worst run blocking line I have ever seen in my 20 years of watching NFL football. I am not exaggerating.
Gee where'd you get this thought ;) ?

Jordan's stock goes up as he is a stabilizing force with his productivity last year. Shell will lean on him as the keystone in the offense.

I really like him in PPR as well.

I see him at 1.05 behind Portis.

Caddy will likely miss at least 3-4 games with injuries.

Edge has the biggest amount of instability - new team, bad O-line, different EVERYWHERE.

Tier 2:

Portis

L Jordan

Tiki

Edge

Caddy (hasn't played 16 games)

Westbrook (fewer touches than Caddy)

Ruid (fewer catches than Westbrook)

SJax

LT

LJ

Jordan

Tiki

SA

Westbrook

Edge

Portis

Rudi

SJAX
Westbrook certainly skyrockets in any ppr league...especially 2ppr. That's pretty high for Rudi though.
I was considering moving either Cadillac or Ronnie Brown up there to the #9 spot. Any thoughts?

LT

LJ

Jordan

Tiki

SA

Westbrook

Edge

Portis

Rudi

SJAX
I was considering moving either Cadillac or Ronnie Brown up there to the #9 spot. Any thoughts?
I love Caddy...one of the more impressive rookie runners I've seen. Looked better than Emmit his rookie year. Emmit came out earlyl, but still.

I haven't decided on where I'm going to put Ronnie yet. It scares me that he's never been a full time back for an entire year...not even in college.
Not that I disagree necessarily, but couldn't you say the same thing about Caddy who you have at #7?

RB Rankings

----Tier 1-----------

Alexander

LJ

LT

-----Tier 2----------

Tiki

Portis

Jordan

Cadillac

Jackson

#9 Edge

I guess I'm not as concerned about Edge as you. My fear with him is only that he will be a loafer after signing the deal, but he just doesn't strike me as that kind of player. Yes, the O-line isn't so great in Arizona, but the Indy O-line was an average run-blocking line. I would take Edge ahead of Jordan, Jackson, Caddy, and Tiki (who I will stay away from this year after many years of enjoying his cheap productivity).

I haven't decided on where I'm going to put Ronnie yet.  It scares me that he's never been a full time back for an entire year...not even in college.
Not that I disagree necessarily, but couldn't you say the same thing about Caddy who you have at #7?
IMO, Caddy is the next elite FF running back. Ronnie will be solid and his value moves way up when Ricky's gone.

Since everyone else likes to hijack my threads . . .

I think Caddy is ranked too high. He had very few fantasy points percentage wise for the workload he had and ranked 21st based on ppg last year.

Unless you think he can endure 25-30 carries a can while staying productive, I don't see this one. And I don't see many backs being able to accomplish that.

I think Caddy is ranked too high.  He had very few fantasy points percentage wise for the workload he had and ranked 21st based on ppg last year.

Unless you think he can endure 25-30 carries a can while staying productive, I don't see this one.  And I don't see many backs being able to accomplish that.
Like many young, great RBs I think you'll see a sizable upsurge in production in year two.Emmit Smith for example:

Code:
                +--------------------------+-------------------------+                 |          Rushing         |        Receiving        |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| Year  TM |   G |   Att  Yards    Y/A   TD |   Rec  Yards   Y/R   TD |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| 1990 dal |  16 |   241    937    3.9   11 |    24    228   9.5    0 || 1991 dal |  16 |   365   1563    4.3   12 |    49    258   5.3    1 |
Let's also not forget that Simms is progressing as well. I really like the direction Gruden has this offense going.

I think Caddy is ranked too high. He had very few fantasy points percentage wise for the workload he had and ranked 21st based on ppg last year.

Unless you think he can endure 25-30 carries a can while staying productive, I don't see this one. And I don't see many backs being able to accomplish that.
Like many young, great RBs I think you'll see a sizable upsurge in production in year two.Emmit Smith for example:

Code:
+--------------------------+-------------------------+                 |          Rushing         |        Receiving        |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| Year  TM |   G |   Att  Yards    Y/A   TD |   Rec  Yards   Y/R   TD |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| 1990 dal |  16 |   241    937    3.9   11 |    24    228   9.5    0 || 1991 dal |  16 |   365   1563    4.3   12 |    49    258   5.3    1 |
Let's also not forget that Simms is progressing as well. I really like the direction Gruden has this offense going.
There's no question in my mind that of all the Top 10 RBs listed here, Caddy needs a handcuff the most. That is a knock on him since it will force you to draft Pittman earlier than you might otherwise.

Edge has the biggest amount of instability - new team, bad O-line, different EVERYWHERE.

:goodposting:

I would rank Edge no higher then 12, due to the above and a QB who is one hit from being done, and no above average back up in sight

Some great RBs, including Emmit and LT2, had the upsurge in production. Many others, inlcuding SA, TD, Clinton Portis, Marshall Faulk, and Edgerrin James, had simliar numbers or even had significant declines.

One aspect of this that you're not addressing is Michael Pittman. It's clear that he still has a role on this team, and that in today's NFL, teams are trying ot avoid giving 300+ carries to any one guy. Perhaps Caddy will be more productive on a per-carry basis, but his overall upside might be limited b/c he won't see the ball as many times per season as some of the greats listed above.

The thing I liked about Caddy the most was he got stronger as the game went on .

remember too that TB's O-line was considered a weakness last year and any improvements made their should help too.

An improvin Simms and a heahtly Clayton will only help him.

Didn't like seeing only 6 TDs from Caddy and also didn't like seeing only 80 yards receiving. Pittman got the receiving yardage and Alstott was in at the goalline.

RB Rankings

----Tier 1-----------

Alexander

LJ

LT

-----Tier 2----------

Tiki

Portis

Jordan

Cadillac

Jackson

#9 Edge

SA will come back to his 17 point range or below this year with Hutch gone and is contract taken care of.Tiki will drop some as well because Brandon Jacobs will get a little more action

If Ricky is out, Ronnie Brown should move up into the top of tier 2 right behind Portis as Miami has picked Peele and Beasely two very good run blockers. they also had a little of an upgrade with LJ Shelton at LT and another year for Houck to get that line in order. Culpy will also take some pressure off.

I have Edge at 11.

Didn't like seeing only 6 TDs from Caddy and also didn't like seeing only 80 yards receiving. Pittman got the receiving yardage and Alstott was in at the goalline.
PPR leagues Caddy takes a hit, but I'll think you'll see his reception number grow as he becomes even more dominant. You want the ball in the hand of your playmaker and Cadillac is a playmaker.Let's not forget a few years of Charlie Garner's numbers in Gruden's offense:

Code:
                +--------------------------+-------------------------+                 |          Rushing         |        Receiving        |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| Year  TM |   G |   Att  Yards    Y/A   TD |   Rec  Yards   Y/R   TD |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| 2001 oak |  16 |   211    839    4.0    1 |    72    578   8.0    2 || 2002 oak |  16 |   182    962    5.3    7 |    91    941  10.3    4 |
That's an average of 81.5 receptions per year for his primary back. Yes Garner is more of receiving back than Caddy, but I think this is evidence enought that Caddy grown into more of an everydown back role, which Gruden has hinted at for over a year.

PPR leagues Caddy takes a hit, but I'll think you'll see his reception number grow as he becomes even more dominant. You want the ball in the hand of your playmaker and Cadillac is a playmaker.Let's not forget a few years of Charlie Garner's numbers in Gruden's offense:

Code:
                +--------------------------+-------------------------+                 |          Rushing         |        Receiving        |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| Year  TM |   G |   Att  Yards    Y/A   TD |   Rec  Yards   Y/R   TD |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| 2001 oak |  16 |   211    839    4.0    1 |    72    578   8.0    2 || 2002 oak |  16 |   182    962    5.3    7 |    91    941  10.3    4 |
but you'll also notice Gruden used a RBBC approach with Garner. He had a goalline back and also someone else to share carries to reduce his overall load. Caddy's not the gifted receiver Garner was so maybe keeping a goalline back and third down back is the way he'll keep Caddy fresh. He's not the biggest guy.

There have been 213 times when a RB had 290 carries in a season (as Caddy did last year). In terms of total fantasy points (0 PPR), he ranked 203rd. Maybe that's a fluke, but I am a little skeptical. And for PPR leagues, I'm even less enthused. Maybe things change this year, but there's enough head scratching for me to want to try to explain it, so I will likely not have him on any of my squads this year.

RB Rankings

----Tier 1-----------

Alexander

LJ

LT

-----Tier 2----------

Tiki

Portis

Jordan

Cadillac

Jackson

#9 Edge

SA will come back to his 17 point range or below this year with Hutch gone and is contract taken care of.Tiki will drop some as well because Brandon Jacobs will get a little more action

If Ricky is out, Ronnie Brown should move up into the top of tier 2 right behind Portis as Miami has picked Peele and Beasely two very good run blockers. they also had a little of an upgrade with LJ Shelton at LT and another year for Houck to get that line in order. Culpy will also take some pressure off.

I have Edge at 11.
Hutch gone does not spell the demise for Alexander. Although last year won't be repeated, that is because it was the best fantasy year for any RB, and you can't just replicate that. Hutch's loss isn't such a huge deal because they have Womack and also got Ashworth to step in. They only lost Hutch on the O-line at the Guard position, which is not a major position to replace, and Pork Chop is still a good lineman.Why do you think Jacobs will get more work this year? Its not as if they are grooming Jacobs to take over at some point.

Let's not forget that Michael Pittman is an excellent receiving RB and just signed a 3 year extension with the Bucs. Pittman had 36 receptions last year, 41 in 2004 when he missed 3 games and 75 in 2003. In Pittman's career he has averaged almost 3 receptions a game going all the way back to Arizona. Pittman will probably continue to get most of the RB receptions.Also, not to burst your Caddy reception number further, but Garner had 56 and 68 receptions in SF before he went to Oakland, so he already had skills as a receiver. He probably could have had more, but in SF he also had 499 carries in those 2 years, well above his Oakland rushing numbers. If Caddy gets 300+ carries, he is not coming anywhere near Garner's receiving numbers.

I also don't like the fact that Garner had 11 TDs in 2002, but only 3 in 2001 and 4 in 2003. Also, of those 18 TDs in 3 years, only 11 were rushing TDs. Williams having only 6 TDs is not a good trend. Pittman only had 7 rushing TDs in 2004. It was Pittman's 391 receiving yards and 3 receiving TDs. Seems to me that the primary RB in Gruden's system does not get a ton of rushing TDs and only gets 10+ TDs if they are the primary RB receiver as well.

but you'll also notice Gruden used a RBBC approach with Garner. He had a goalline back and also someone else to share carries to reduce his overall load. Caddy's not the gifted receiver Garner was so maybe keeping a goalline back and third down back is the way he'll keep Caddy fresh. He's not the biggest guy.
RBBC or not, Garner's total yards speak for themselves.Even with Pittman in on 3rd downs and Alstott at the goalline Caddy is a top 7 back in non-ppr leagues IMHO.

There have been 213 times when a RB had 290 carries in a season (as Caddy did last year). In terms of total fantasy points (0 PPR), he ranked 203rd. Maybe that's a fluke, but I am a little skeptical. And for PPR leagues, I'm even less enthused. Maybe things change this year, but there's enough head scratching for me to want to try to explain it, so I will likely not have him on any of my squads this year.
Wow.That is really suprising. I guess my memory is a bit skewed because the only time I really got to see Caddy play was in week 1 when he won the game with that long TD run.

RBBC or not, Garner's total yards speak for themselves.Even with Pittman in on 3rd downs and Alstott at the goalline Caddy is a top 7 back in non-ppr leagues IMHO.
IMO, Caddy's ceiling is Rudi Johnson with fewer TDs. Rudi has ranked as high as 7th, but Williams will have to score a lot more than he did last year AND stay healthy with an intensive workload. I don't see him in the Top 7, but maybe that's just me.

I will be happy to land Edge anywhere after the 5 pick. This is what makes me a shrk and the rest of you nay sayers guppies.

If I went bu the census each year I wouldnt be 2 time champ. Edge will finish top 5 PERIOD.

Why? I think the goalline is crucial. He was barely top 20 this year with 300 carries.

I just don't see this. It is hard for anyone to get into the top 7 if they are not getting goal line work. I am not saying that I don't think that Caddy can be a top 7 back, just that I don't think he can do that if Pittman gets the 3rd down carries and Alstott gets the goal line work.In that scenerio I think a best case finish would be around running back 12-15. That's right about where other guys who get decent workloads but who don't have goal line duty finish. Guys like Warrick Dunn and Fast Willie.

Count me in that number. :thumbup: Jackson could be a beast in the right offense. I have visions of him putting LB Lofa Tatupu on his can permanently imprinted in my psyche.

I will be happy to land Edge anywhere after the 5 pick. This is what makes me a shrk and the rest of you nay sayers guppies.

If I went bu the census each year I wouldnt be 2 time champ. Edge will finish top 5 PERIOD.
Your track record aside, the only place I can see Edge going is down. It would be almost impossible for him to get the ball more than he did in IND, and his likelihood of him producing at the same level of productivity is also doubtful.So IMO, we have to start with what he did last year and REDUCE his total numbers. Let's not forget that he is still a pretty high injury risk based on his EXTENSIVE workload over the years. He's been the #1 back in terms of total touches per game in recent years by a fair margin.

I still think his workload will again be high and that in and of itself should keep him in the Top 10 (provided he doesn't miss much time).

But the difference between the #10 RB and the #5 RB is in the 60-70 fantasy point range and the difference between the #10 RB and where Edge once was early in his career is 120-130 fantasy points. He's still a top back, but he is not what he was his first couple of years prior to getting hurt.

Why? I think the goalline is crucial. He was barely top 20 this year with 300 carries.
Not just goaline, receiving is crucial. Garner and Pittman (even in non-PPR leagues) averaged 561 yards and 2 TDs receiving per year while with Oakland and TB, respectively. That's 68 fantasy points or the difference between #19 and #7 RBs in 2005, who were Rudi Johnson at #7 and Caddy at #19. So unless Caddy's receiving improves by that amount, he is going to have to get 11 more rushing TDs to move from #19 to #7. Based on Gruden's past RB rushing TDs, that has a very low probability of occurring. Not impossible, but also not probable.

Not just goaline, receiving is crucial. Garner and Pittman (even in non-PPR leagues) averaged 561 yards and 2 TDs receiving per year while with Oakland and TB, respectively. That's 68 fantasy points or the difference between #19 and #7 RBs in 2005, who were Rudi Johnson at #7 and Caddy at #19. So unless Caddy's receiving improves by that amount, he is going to have to get 11 more rushing TDs to move from #19 to #7. Based on Gruden's past RB rushing TDs, that has a very low probability of occurring. Not impossible, but also not probable.
I believe we'll see an increase across the boad for Cadillac.More receiving yards.

More rushing yards.

More TDs.

I will be happy to land Edge anywhere after the 5 pick.  This is what makes me a shrk and the rest of you nay sayers guppies.

Your track record aside, the only place I can see Edge going is down. It would be almost impossible for him to get the ball more than he did in IND, and his likelihood of him producing at the same level of productivity is also doubtful.So IMO, we have to start with what he did last year and REDUCE his total numbers. Let's not forget that he is still a pretty high injury risk based on his EXTENSIVE workload over the years. He's been the #1 back in terms of total touches per game in recent years by a fair margin.

I still think his workload will again be high and that in and of itself should keep him in the Top 10 (provided he doesn't miss much time).

But the difference between the #10 RB and the #5 RB is in the 60-70 fantasy point range and the difference between the #10 RB and where Edge once was early in his career is 120-130 fantasy points. He's still a top back, but he is not what he was his first couple of years prior to getting hurt.
The argument of workload could also be applied to other RB'S being listed ahead of him, so I cannot buy in that argument.What needs to be analized is weahter a person feels he will be able to preform as good as when he was in the INDY offense. I say yes.

Indy line is not stellar although it is/was better than the cards. I think AZ will have more comitment to Edge than Indy did. They will look to profile him.

With a Boldin/Fitz I cannot see how any team can put 8 in the box. I also think Az WR are better blockers than Harrison/Wayne.

I suspect, with the fact the team is playing in a new stadium has a star to block for(for the first time ever) the O-line will have a diffrent outlook on thier comitment. I do not think the mental aspect of those two things should be overlooked, and will contribute to Edges #'s.

He will also be playing in a weaker NFC division, wich could also help his numbers.

In the end I can see his yardage being a bit lower and his TD's going up. Manning threw allot of td's from the 1yrd line. I would feel just as good about Edge as guys like Portis, Caddy, Jordan ect...

With a Boldin/Fitz I cannot see how any team can put 8 in the box.
Not after Warner goes down in week 5.
Two things to say baout this.1- You cannot project injuries and to base a performance of a RB on the fact the QB will be injured would be out/over thinking onself, imo.

2- Lets wait and see who AZ brings in to buckup Warner before we get to concerned. Josh plaeyd fairly well in backup duty and I do not subscribe to the fact he is any good. I like him but he was luck to have Boldin/Fitz

With a Boldin/Fitz I cannot see how any team can put 8 in the box.
Not after Warner goes down in week 5.
Two things to say baout this.1- You cannot project injuries and to base a performance of a RB on the fact the QB will be injured would be out/over thinking onself, imo.
:rolleyes: I wasn't basing the performance of a RB on QB injury...just stating that there may be 8 in the box a lot more often than Edge owners are hoping for.

Users who are viewing this thread