What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

my filmroom - zac stacy (1 Viewer)

Kool-Aid Larry

Footballguy
I just got gamepass working last week which includes game rewind where you can watch any previous game, single play, or view from coaches' film angle.

I had a good time taking a closer look at devin mccourty in another thread, and want to do a little more film study, so I'll post random observations in here.

if anyone has any questions about a particular player or scheme post them up

just bear in mind I have no background in real football, so I probably won't know wtf I'm looking at half the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two situations moving forward that a interesting to me are the Ravens and Charger linebacker groups. The Ravens are getting solid statistical production from Daryl Smith but have Arthur Brown waiting in the wings and another player (forget name?) ready to come back from injury. In San Diego Manti Te'o is an interesting IDP because of potential opportunity. Does he start eating up snaps, does he effect Donald Brown's production? Anyway, those are two situations with productive veterans and a high upside rookie hanging around that I wouldn't mind reading more about.
just bear in mind I have no background in real football, so I probably won't know wtf I'm looking at half the time.
You get what you pay for! lol

Does Zac Stacy pass the eye test? I've heard him described as workmanlike. His combine measurables are almost identical to Doug Martin's.
I'm not much of a talent evaluator -- I mostly like to see where everybody lines up, and what kind of defensive schemes they roll out, but I took a look.

I don't know if st louis thinks they have some leverage inside, or stacy just isn't quick enough to get outside, but it seemed like every run was up the middle, and houston was getting pretty good penetration.

I just went and looked it up, and here are the number of rushes across the line from left to right 2 - 4 - 10 - 1 - 1

so, more than half his carries were up the middle, and 15/18 in the interior -- don't have any idea what's typical.

his second run was pretty terrible, where he had this big hole and for some reason found a guy to run into who was completely blocked, and managed to pretty much tackle himself, so I got a quick negative impression, but that was probably his only bad run.

he's not really quick, doesn't seem to make guys miss, or create much, and tends to get what's blocked for him -- but he seems to have good patience in letting the blocking develop, and can manage to squeeze through a crease and create enough momentum to gain a few yards, or more if they left him some open field, but that's about it.

I never really got the feeling he was going to break one open, and the guys tackling him generally seemed a little quicker than he was.

comparisons are usually bs, but if I had to come up with one maybe I'd say benjarvus.

and I'm a big benny fan, so that's not a knock on either guy.

people knock sjax, but I always thought the guy had ability.

I just never had any interest in him in fantasy because the offense was so terrible I got the feeling he'd sniff the endzone maybe once a month, and it doesn't seem like that's changed much over there.

seems like stacy is good for 10 points in the flex during bye weeks, but that's not too different from a bunch of guys.

edit: hey, waitaminute --- this is supposed to be idp.........

NEP Linebackers now that Mayo is done (I know you did week 6 already so suggest take another look at it when week seven is done and dusted)

Thanks for evaluating Stacy even though this is the IDP forum. Very helpful info about him being used as an up the middle pounder against Houston. Maybe they wanted to stay away from JJ Watt (just to keep this IDP centric). I've seen a wide spectrum of opinions on Stacy because I like to do borderline obsessive research on players I'm adding to my dynasty squad. The time you put in is much appreciated. ?

This week, I finally dropped Haloti Ngata. How much of his lack of production is double teams and how much is plain ol' suckitude? How much will I regret it?

This week, I finally dropped Haloti Ngata. How much of his lack of production is double teams and how much is plain ol' suckitude? How much will I regret it?
I looked at his numbers and I wouldn't really say they're much different than what he did the last couple years, so maybe your expectations are just too high for a guy at his position.

I remember listing him in my casualties thread, so I checked that angle and it looks like he's only played around 40 snaps the last couple weeks, along with a week earlier in the year where he played about 40 --- at this point last year he was getting 60-70 snaps, so maybe that's all it is, coupled with the natural variance at his position.

i can't really evaluate talent, but I'll take a quick check on the double teams.

edit:

he got double teamed a fair bit, maybe half the time, and there were some singles where he got decent push, and some where a single guy handled him ok.

there was one play, in particular, where it looked like green bay was trying to zone block and he just got quick penetration past the center to reroute the ballcarrier -- suggs was waiting for him for a 1 yard loss.

it didn't look like he had much chance at the qb, as rodgers is pretty mobile and decisive, and I have no idea if it was intentional, but it seemed like green bay ran away from him quite a bit.

I thought he looked pretty good, overall, just missing on a couple tackles, and making at least one through a blocker.

Two situations moving forward that a interesting to me are the Ravens and Charger linebacker groups. The Ravens are getting solid statistical production from Daryl Smith but have Arthur Brown waiting in the wings and another player (forget name?) ready to come back from injury. In San Diego Manti Te'o is an interesting IDP because of potential opportunity. Does he start eating up snaps, does he effect Donald Brown's production? Anyway, those are two situations with productive veterans and a high upside rookie hanging around that I wouldn't mind reading more about.
i would think both those situations will evolve to the point where both guys are on the field together, and I doubt I'm qualified to judge the newer players ability to steal production from the established guys.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
I looked at his numbers and I wouldn't really say they're much different than what he did the last couple years, so maybe your expectations are just too high for a guy at his position.

I remember listing him in my casualties thread, so I checked that angle and it looks like he's only played around 40 snaps the last couple weeks, along with a week earlier in the year where he played about 40 --- at this point last year he was getting 60-70 snaps, so maybe that's all it is, coupled with the natural variance at his position.

i can't really evaluate talent, but I'll take a quick check on the double teams.

edit:

he got double teamed a fair bit, maybe half the time, and there were some singles where he got decent push, and some where a single guy handled him ok.

there was one play, in particular, where it looked like green bay was trying to zone block and he just got quick penetration past the center to reroute the ballcarrier -- suggs was waiting for him for a 1 yard loss.

it didn't look like he had much chance at the qb, as rodgers is pretty mobile and decisive, and I have no idea if it was intentional, but it seemed like green bay ran away from him quite a bit.

I thought he looked pretty good, overall, just missing on a couple tackles, and making at least one through a blocker.
Thanks.

He is definitely off his pace this year but it's looking like a steady decline (trend!) which is why I dropped him. After finishing 1st among DTs in 2011 he fell to 7th last year and this year is an abysmal 28th. When the position is DT/DE, that's a death knell.

losing 20 snaps/game would most likely dent his production, but a player like that doesn't really have a meaningful 'pace', and I'd never use a NT for a DT/DE position, anyway.

last year he had a sack in 5 of 17 games, and I think the year before it was 4 of 18 games, which means that each year there were 12-14 games in which he had no sack, due to the nature of the position.

he's only played 6 games, so far, and in 2011 there was a string of 7 consecutive games where he was held without a sack.

production is just too random at a position liek that, unless it's some kind of DT required league.

I used to have time for Rewind - I miss those days. :kicksrock:

Thanks for offering to share what you see, Larry. I'm sure I'll have something for you at some point. TIA. :bow:

buffalo safeties, et al

I checked out Q1 wk6 - buf v cincy to take a look at that whole db situation

I'll probably look at the rest of it later, but I'll post up what I saw in those 2 series

note: gresham played 91% of snaps, eifert 77%, and the 3rd TE got 20%, so you can see there were plenty of multiple TE sets, and I just label formations below as however the personnel is used, regardless of positional designation -- I didn't really pay much attention to who played what position

1st series -- cincy mostly used 12 personnel

buf def - 2 base snaps, 3 nickel, 1 dime

aaron williams - rcb + covered a te on the right

leodis mckelvin - lcb

searcy - box/strong safety + 1 snap covering aj green

leonhard - centerfield a couple snaps + in the box covering a te a couple snaps

byrd - nickel db as a fs with leonhard moving down into the box

robey - dime db appearing in last play of the drive

gilmore - not appearing in this series

last play - 3rd + 6, 4 wide

williams, mckelvin, robey - cb

searcy, byrd - blitz

leonhard - centerfield

2nd series - cincy mixed it up a bit

buf def - 1 base snap, 7 nickel, 1 dime

aaron williams - taken out for gilmore at rcb 1st 5 snaps, but took rcb back from gilmore last 4 snaps

mckelvin - lcb

searcy - played all snaps - moved around

leonhard - played all snaps - mostly fs + a couple coverage snaps, and a blitz

byrd - 5 of 9 snaps in a deep safety role, with leonhard rotating down into single coverage or blitz

robey - actually got 3 nickels + the dime

gilmore - 1st half of series at rcb with williams sitting, sat 2nd half of series with williams at rcb

I'd like to look at more, but this small sample was a little surprising to me in that I had read searcy would get benched in favor of williams, yet searcy was on the field for every snap with williams getting bumped to the bench for a bit by gilmore.

I suppose it could be a practice participation thing, where that's the positions they practiced at this week, but I'll be interested in seeing more.

other than that, probably not too much of note -- they used a 3 safety look about 9/15 snaps

edit: it's possible gilmore was in there covering a wr, while williams was in if they split a te out wide, but I couldn't really get a good look at it.

maybe I'll try to keep a closer eye on that later -- miami might give us a better picture of a more normal offense.

I looked at a few series of that buf/saints game and here's how the secondary looked, at least for the first few series

total game snaps

a williams - 100%

j byrd - 90%

gilmore - 81%

mckelvin - 80%

searcy - 61%

robey - 61%

brooks - 19%

leonhard - 16%

williams + byrd - traditional safety roles, seemed to alternate series at ss and fs

mckelvin + gilmore - outside corners, seemed to alternate series as lcb and rcb, although I didn't notice who the receivers they covered were -- I was listening to audio as I did this and I think I might've heard mention of mckelvin catching his cleats in the turf and subbing out for brooks with a twisted ankle

searcy + robey - when the saints went 3w buf would roll these guys in as a dime package, robey as slot corner, and searcy as a dime LB -- also heard something about searcy getting banged up on one play, so keep an eye out for that, I guess

brooks - sub cb

leonhard - looks like he's been squeezed out

tl:dr conclusion - looks like searcy has the choice spot on the field, but snaps may be highly sensitive to personnel packages, and saints probably favor dime defense -- would like to see their straight nickel

should probably watch more to see if williams and byrd settle into more defined roles

Any chance you took a look at KC, maybe in the context of this week's upcoming game? The recent decline in their defensive production is alarming, with 2 mediocre efforts at home and against weak offenses.

well, I'm not sure what there would be to look at.

the last couple weeks were against mediocre offenses, but so was just about every other week -- I don't see much change in points allowed or yardage.

their only real decline is declining from an unsustainable streak of high scoring, so maybe people got spoiled a bit.

I think they scored a defensive td in 3 or 4 of the prior 6 games, which is pretty hard to bank on, and some of those games involved multiple picks, and as many as 9 sacks -- don't plan on getting those numbers every week.

if you average 3 sacks/game you will be among the league leaders at the end of the year, and they got 5 sacks 2 weeks ago, and another one last week for a 3 sack average the last couple weeks.

they are also currently on pace for 20 picks, which would most likely put them among the league leaders.

the last 2 weeks were right in line with week 2, and you should expect more of these to average out the oak games, and jax games.

in my scoring, the bears topped the league last year at about 18 ppg, while picking up a crazy 10 defensive td.

seattle, a pretty highly regarded defense, came in second at 16 ppg.

kc is currently averaging 20 ppg.

this 'decline', if you can call it that, is about the same as marvin jones only catching 1 or 2 td this week.

Some notes / info on Wesley Woodyard, s'il vous plait?

Stud off the wire last year, moved (iirc) to MLB this year and had a nice start but has been completely derailed. Inury cost a few games and I am wondering if he is working on a snap count since or if something else has caused his lower output.

took a look at the first series of that pats/cle game to see what they were doing with jamie collins and the other lb

hightower had the communications helmet and played 76% of snaps

collins 73%

spikes 62%

fletcher 42%

nickel -- they were in a 4-2 nickel something like 3 plays of the 9 play drive, with collins subbed out on the first nickel snap, but in with hightower on another, and in with fletcher on the third.

4-3 -- he was sam in the 4-3, usually having some kind of coverage responsibility ranging from following gogobananas split out, to cameron, and even opposite little on a run.

hightower was in mayo's spot, with fletcher or spikes at mlb.

3-4 -- they mixed a couple 3-4 looks in there, moving chandler inside and playing collins at rolb, opposite cameron.

edit: maybe when mayo returns we see a return to more of a 3-4 with collins at rolb and chandler moving inside?

he's got the perfect marriage of pass rush and coverage skills for a position like that, although I don't know how fantasy friendly it would be.

I guess if they don't re-sign spikes you could see just as much of him at sam, maybe, in 4-3 looks.

I watched a couple more series and it was pretty much more of the same, with jamie in coverage quite a bit, and often lined up on a te.

Does Zac Stacy pass the eye test? I've heard him described as workmanlike. His combine measurables are almost identical to Doug Martin's.
I'm not much of a talent evaluator -- I mostly like to see where everybody lines up, and what kind of defensive schemes they roll out, but I took a look.

I don't know if st louis thinks they have some leverage inside, or stacy just isn't quick enough to get outside, but it seemed like every run was up the middle, and houston was getting pretty good penetration.

I just went and looked it up, and here are the number of rushes across the line from left to right 2 - 4 - 10 - 1 - 1

so, more than half his carries were up the middle, and 15/18 in the interior -- don't have any idea what's typical.

his second run was pretty terrible, where he had this big hole and for some reason found a guy to run into who was completely blocked, and managed to pretty much tackle himself, so I got a quick negative impression, but that was probably his only bad run.

he's not really quick, doesn't seem to make guys miss, or create much, and tends to get what's blocked for him -- but he seems to have good patience in letting the blocking develop, and can manage to squeeze through a crease and create enough momentum to gain a few yards, or more if they left him some open field, but that's about it.

I never really got the feeling he was going to break one open, and the guys tackling him generally seemed a little quicker than he was.

comparisons are usually bs, but if I had to come up with one maybe I'd say benjarvus.

and I'm a big benny fan, so that's not a knock on either guy.
btw VINDICATED!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread