What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My High Stakes Fantasy Football Tour (1 Viewer)

David Dodds

Administrator
With a good year in the stock market, I decided to try my luck playing in a variety of high stakes Fantasy Football events this season.

Here are the events I have decided to roll with:

Event 1: FFPC DraftMasters "Big Dog" - No waivers, 26 man rosters, total points. Cost = $1,250. Drafted Wednesday, September 2nd.

Rosters

Event 2: WCOFF Invitational (Thursday night, Sep 10th) - Top 23 FF Players in the country and me to round out the field. No cost, but prizes should I finish in the top 3. I have no idea about my draft spot (I will find that out soon)

Event 3: FFPC Live Auction in Las Vegas (Friday morning, Sep 11th). I love LIVE auctions. This is the event I am most amped about.

Event 4: FFPC Main Event in Las Vegas (Friday night, Sep 11th) - I also added the Paya4life and Field of 96 options that should be fun to follow. I draft from the 5 hole (not ideal, but I can make it work).

Event 5: WCOFF Main Event in Las Vegas (Saturday morning, Sep 12th) - Clayton Gray and Aaroon Rudnicki will be co-managers in our quest for the $300K first prize. We draft from the 10th hole.

I will update this first post to show my teams, status, etc. Hopefully I do not embarrass the website here. I think I crushed the first event (drafted Wednesday night with an assist from Clayton Gray).

Last edited by a moderator:
I thinking you're missing an event. Why aren't you playing in the event against the kid with the goofy mug on the banner ads.our upcoming drafts.

Good luck in your upcoming drafts.

Here was my DraftMasters draft. Remember in the FFPC, they give 1.5 PPR to TEs (1 PPR to the RBs and WRs) and it has a dual flex (start 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE and 2 flex). We do not have to set lineups and there are no waiver moves.

QBs:

8.06 Jay Cutler, Chi/5

9.07 Ben Roethlisberger, Pit/8

24.06 Michael Vick, Phi/4

I had planned to get three QBs, but watched the last ones slip away faster than I thought they would. I might regret not backing up Roethlisberger with Batch with my last pick, but entered this league to win. If I lose both of my starters I probably wasn't going to win anyway.

RBs:

1.07 LaDainian Tomlinson, SD/5

4.06 Darren McFadden, Oak/9

10.06 Kevin Faulk, NE/8

11.07 Fred Taylor, NE/8

12.06 Jamal Lewis, Cle/9

16.06 Laurence Maroney, NE/8

With the seventh pick I actually had my choice of LT or Steven Jackson. Sad to say, but I actually trust LT more. He is not the dominant back he once was, but playing Denver, Oakland and KC twice should help him rack up some stats. I love landing the trio of NE backs super cheap. This worked well in this "best ball" format. We all hated Jamal Lewis, but in the 12th round I pulled the trigger. And I love McFadden in this PPR format. For as little as I paid for this unit, I am pleased with my backs.

WRs:

2.06 Steve Smith, Car/4

3.07 Dwayne Bowe, KC/8

5.07 Anthony Gonzalez, Ind/6

7.07 Santonio Holmes, Pit/8

18.06 Isaac Bruce, SF/6

19.07 Hakeem Nicks, NYG/10

21.07 Mark Bradley, KC/8

25.07 Michael Clayton, TB/8

26.06 Deon Butler, SEA/7

I love this unit. Four anchors and then warm bodies that could have a big game every once in awhile.

TEs:

6.06 Owen Daniels, Hou/10

13.07 Todd Heap, Bal/7

15.07 Anthony Fasano, Mia/6

I have three guys who could score well for me each week. This was my plan (grab one pretty good pass catching TE and then some redzone threats).

PKs:

17.07 Nate Kaeding, SD/5

20.06 Josh Scobee, Jac/7

I grab two 27 year old kickers on good offenses. I actually have Kaeding as my #1 PK so very pleased.

Defs:

14.06 Pittsburgh

22.06 Cincinnati

23.07 Detroit

One anchor and two crappy defenses, but with easy schedules. I suspect this unit will be fine.

I thinking you're missing an event. Why aren't you playing in the event against the kid with the goofy mug on the banner ads.our upcoming drafts.Good luck in your upcoming drafts.
Yes Chase is representing us at the NFFC. We have talked strategy and I suspect he will do well. It would be next to impossible for me to be in Vegas for two weekends. Already going to be rough here just being there next weekend.

Here was my DraftMasters draft. Remember in the FFPC, they give 1.5 PPR to TEs (1 PPR to the RBs and WRs) and it has a dual flex (start 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE and 2 flex). We do not have to set lineups and there are no waiver moves.
QBs:

8.06 Jay Cutler, Chi/5

9.07 Ben Roethlisberger, Pit/8

24.06 Michael Vick, Phi/4

I had planned to get three QBs, but watched the last ones slip away faster than I thought they would. I might regret not backing up Roethlisberger with Batch with my last pick, but entered this league to win. If I lose both of my starters I probably wasn't going to win anyway.
Good move not taking Batch, like you said, you play to win. I hate Cutler...Vick was a waste. Probably my least favorite position based on where you took them, hard to say without knowing who was available.
RBs:

1.07 LaDainian Tomlinson, SD/5

4.06 Darren McFadden, Oak/9

10.06 Kevin Faulk, NE/8

11.07 Fred Taylor, NE/8

12.06 Jamal Lewis, Cle/9

16.06 Laurence Maroney, NE/8

With the seventh pick I actually had my choice of LT or Steven Jackson. Sad to say, but I actually trust LT more. He is not the dominant back he once was, but playing Denver, Oakland and KC twice should help him rack up some stats. I love landing the trio of NE backs super cheap. This worked well in this "best ball" format. We all hated Jamal Lewis, but in the 12th round I pulled the trigger. And I love McFadden in this PPR format. For as little as I paid for this unit, I am pleased with my backs.
I like all of these picks sans Jamal Lewis...even in the 12th round...McFadden was a solid pick...as was LT
WRs:

2.06 Steve Smith, Car/4

3.07 Dwayne Bowe, KC/8

5.07 Anthony Gonzalez, Ind/6

7.07 Santonio Holmes, Pit/8

18.06 Isaac Bruce, SF/6

19.07 Hakeem Nicks, NYG/10

21.07 Mark Bradley, KC/8

25.07 Michael Clayton, TB/8

26.06 Deon Butler, SEA/7

I love this unit. Four anchors and then warm bodies that could have a big game every once in awhile.
Very nice, in this format you killed it...I can't disagree with any of these picks...maybe Bowe, but hard to say without knowing what was available.
TEs:

6.06 Owen Daniels, Hou/10

13.07 Todd Heap, Bal/7

15.07 Anthony Fasano, Mia/6

I have three guys who could score well for me each week. This was my plan (grab one pretty good pass catching TE and then some redzone threats).
Solid...exactly how I would go with this format...three good, but not great TEs. Fasano was a steal. Overall, pretty nice squad...might lose too much at RB and QB, but your WRs should help pick up the slack...you have a lot riding on McFadden.

Just a heads up in these big events, I am playing the WIN BIG or GO HOME strategy. So you won't see a lot of safe posturing so I am a top 3-4 team in the league. I will be in there gambling in the later rounds (and in free agency) attempting to field a team that could win the whole thing.

You likely won't see Brady, Brees or Witten on any of my rosters. Those are players that can win you your local league. I doubt any of the National Champions will have them on their team though. They will find that cheap QB and TE so that they have STUDS at RB and WR. Anyway, just a heads up that I will be gambling a bit in these things (like I did in the best ball when I only drafted two starting QBs because the last QBs went way too early in my opinion).

You likely won't see Brady, Brees or Witten on any of my rosters. Those are players that can win you your local league. \
Agreed, but you have to have the right sleepers at those positions...for example, I'd much rather have Palmer/Schaub and maybe even Hasselback than Cutler.At TE I'd want a gamebreaker like Vernon Davis as part of my TE corps...long TDs.

Welcome to FFPC League 7, DD. See you next week in Vegas :thumbup:
Yes I saw you are in this league too. Good separation between us though so hopefully you won't be sniping my guys..LOL. I am definitely looking forward to all of the events. It should be interesting to say the least.

I really appreciate your wr/te options, espesiall with the PPR scoring. RB's have alot of question marks but most could have some really high end results. I am higher on Cutler than most and if you follow patterns Big Ben should do well. I'm interested to see the rest of the league looks like.

See you in Vegas Dave and good luck. I drew the 6 hole in the FFPC in league 4 and the 2 spot in the WCOFF. Usually in the Invitational leagues, they randomly slot it just prior to the draft but maybe that's changed.

By the way, did you jump into the WCOFF sponsored poker tourney Saturday night? It'd be fun to knock out a couple of the celebrities like Barry Bonds or Michael Irvin.

So, you have Steven Jackson ranked as RB4 and LT ranked as RB7 in PPR format and you draft LT over SJax? Glad to see you have (no) confidence in your own rankings.

So, you have Steven Jackson ranked as RB4 and LT ranked as RB7 in PPR format and you draft LT over SJax? Glad to see you have (no) confidence in your own rankings.
I suspect in a league with no waivers, Dodds was a little leery of taking a big injury risk with his first pick.

So he takes a RB over 30, with over 2,500 carries that has been dealing with injuries and is declining! Sweet!

I don't know. I consider my rankings a guide, not a rigid manual to be followed blindly. I have many times while on the clock decided to go another direction than the top guy left on my board for various reasons. I don't consider it that big of a deal.

It's a significant difference. Dodds own projections have SJax scoring almost 2 ppg more than LT2 this year in the FFPC scoring format. FBG has thousands of subscribers who rely on these projections in the Draft Dominator, VBD app, etc.. It is just concerning that, when Dodds own money is on the line, he drafts the guy who he has projected to score LESS points! It makes me wonder just how much confidence he has in his own projections. I don't buy the argument that this is some sort of special draft masters strategy. You either believe that SJax is going to score more than LT2 or you don't (as those projections supposedly represent the mean of likely outcomes for each player).

It's a significant difference. Dodds own projections have SJax scoring almost 2 ppg more than LT2 this year in the FFPC scoring format. FBG has thousands of subscribers who rely on these projections in the Draft Dominator, VBD app, etc.. It is just concerning that, when Dodds own money is on the line, he drafts the guy who he has projected to score LESS points! It makes me wonder just how much confidence he has in his own projections. I don't buy the argument that this is some sort of special draft masters strategy. You either believe that SJax is going to score more than LT2 or you don't (as those projections supposedly represent the mean of likely outcomes for each player).
I would have to agree with this, I get FBGs every year based on DD's projections since I like his the most, but if he doesn't have confidence in his own projections I may have to re-think this a bit.

Dodds or other high stakes players, is it commonplace for these leagues to draft after the regular season actually starts? If so, what is the thinking behind that? I would assume Labor Day weekend would be prime drafting time for all of the high stakes leagues.

Don't these "rate my team" threads belong in the other forum? ;) Seriously, good luck & keep us updated! :lmao:

Dodds or other high stakes players, is it commonplace for these leagues to draft after the regular season actually starts? If so, what is the thinking behind that? I would assume Labor Day weekend would be prime drafting time for all of the high stakes leagues.
WCOFF was there first and chose the Opening Weekend of the NFL season.....yes it means the drafts are after the one Thursday night game (which I don't believe was there in year one)....but that is not a big deal and you have a better handle on final cuts, injuries etc.NFFC was next and chose the prior weekend - aka Labor Day Weekend.FFPC founders and their friends were slightly more WCOFF based (although many play in both), and in their year one, WCOFF was not strong on Friday night leagues/activities, so they chose that.I love being in Las Vegas, drafting on opening weekend and then watching the first set of games on Week 1 Sunday with fresh teams in my hand......with lots of great FF friends in VegasDD - good luck in your efforts (unless you are in my main event WCOFF league - you can go dominate the FFPCers)Any of the others on the boards, you should come by the MGM after the Thursday night game and watch one of THE Premier events - WCOFF's GridIron League - the twelve teams bid for their draft slots in round one with REAL $$ (that draft order will be the same from round 2 onward)......and then start over with real $$ bids for draft slots in round two..........the league also uses real $$ for all free agent bids during the year and the monies from FA and draft slots fund the prize pool for the high score each week - well over $1,000 on the line each Monday night (rarely settled until that game) :)

I would have to agree with this, I get FBGs every year based on DD's projections since I like his the most, but if he doesn't have confidence in his own projections I may have to re-think this a bit.
:hophead: Interesting stuff.......

I drafted this team using Footballguys Composite Projections (30% me, 30% Henry, 20% Wood and 20% Tremblay). I did that to eliminate some biases I may have with players. I have always felt that this strategy lands me better teams. LT came out better than SJax and I went with it. I will draft at WCOFF and FFPC with a similar strategy (using weighted projections and also changing up the weekly weights sightly).

Adding a little bit more to using composite projections (created in Projections Dominator and then imported to the Draft Dominator).

It was my idea to create the Projections Dominator because I knew there were many talented guys on staff creating great numbers. I feel we have four outstanding people doing offensive projections. Each set of numbers is a tad different. Most notably:

Mine - Anti-rookie bias generally. I do a lot of work with statistical norms both on teams and within the NFL. Usually very conservative top ends to all players.

Bob Henry - Either #1 or #2 all-time in the Fantasy Index Master poll lifetime ratings. He manages our depth charts and writes all of the camp updates. He also does our forward projections for the Lineup Dominator. He uses a similar baseline when creating numbers. He projects the deepest of all of us.

Jason Wood - Generally likes the rookies more than the rest of us. He writes or manages all of the Spotlights and also edits all of the training camp reports. He creates our Training Camp watchlists and also pens the Offseason Coaching and Philosophy Changes article. These tasks form strong opinions on players. Jason usually has higher top ends of the true studs in the league.

Maurile Tremblay - He takes a very pessimistic approach to players staying healthy. He also projects a lot of players because of this (usually expects people to play 15 games or less). He invokes his own complex modeling system to assist with the numbers creation.

Four different approaches to the same data. I think we all do a great job independently, but together the data usually drafts the strongest teams. It's an approach I have been using the last few years to great success.

:shrug: Interesting stuff.......
please tell me you guys are kidding

Adding a little bit more to using composite projections (created in Projections Dominator and then imported to the Draft Dominator).It was my idea to create the Projections Dominator because I knew there were many talented guys on staff creating great numbers. I feel we have four outstanding people doing offensive projections. Each set of numbers is a tad different. Most notably:Mine - Anti-rookie bias generally. I do a lot of work with statistical norms both on teams and within the NFL. Usually very conservative top ends to all players.Bob Henry - Either #1 or #2 all-time in the Fantasy Index Master poll lifetime ratings. He manages our depth charts and writes all of the camp updates. He also does our forward projections for the Lineup Dominator. He uses a similar baseline when creating numbers. He projects the deepest of all of us.Jason Wood - Generally likes the rookies more than the rest of us. He writes or manages all of the Spotlights and also edits all of the training camp reports. He creates our Training Camp watchlists and also pens the Offseason Coaching and Philosophy Changes article. These tasks form strong opinions on players. Jason usually has higher top ends of the true studs in the league.Maurile Tremblay - He takes a very pessimistic approach to players staying healthy. He also projects a lot of players because of this (usually expects people to play 15 games or less). He invokes his own complex modeling system to assist with the numbers creation.Four different approaches to the same data. I think we all do a great job independently, but together the data usually drafts the strongest teams. It's an approach I have been using the last few years to great success.
I think this makes a lot of sense. If it was a local league, or even a smaller money league, I could see you solely using your own projections. But in a format with big money, I think this minimizes risk and bias, like you said. However, isn't risk something you preached earlier - well maybe not risk, but taking chances to win these types of league ("gambling")? It seems that by using composites, it may have cut down on some risk, but then also cut down on some of the "gambling" you did. I guess if you used the composite projections as a baseline and then "gambled" from there it would be better. I do think LT may be the safer pick, but at the same time, Sjax is the gamble in my opinion, and the guy I would have taken. Let's be honest, you and this staff know about 30 lifetimes worth of fantasy information than I do and about 99% of people on this board, so anything you do is steeped in sound fantasy football theory, based in years of documented success.Good luck, DD.

David Dodds said:
Adding a little bit more to using composite projections (created in Projections Dominator and then imported to the Draft Dominator).Four different approaches to the same data. I think we all do a great job independently, but together the data usually drafts the strongest teams. It's an approach I have been using the last few years to great success.
This is the first year that I've used composite projections. I've been very satisfied with the numbers that I get doing that. I tends to give some weight to theoutlier projections, but not too much weight.

TenTimes said:
Captain Hook said:
the twelve teams bid for their draft slots in round one with REAL $$ (that draft order will be the same from round 2 onward)......and then start over with real $$ bids for draft slots in round two
:popcorn:
Not sure what your confused smilie is for......Auctioneer puts up pick at 1.01 for bid.......Joe wins for $1100.....Joe takes first seat, selects player for that pick; auctioneer now auctions off draft slot 1.02......Bill wins for $1050......Bill takes seat, makes pick.....back to auctioneer.....to end of round one.....pick 1.12 is $1Now the auctioneer puts draft pick 2.01 up for bid......repeat until all twelve round two picks are bid on and players selected.Now reverts to serpentine draft with pick at 3.01 - round three draft order is same as round one.

TenTimes said:
Captain Hook said:
the twelve teams bid for their draft slots in round one with REAL $$ (that draft order will be the same from round 2 onward)......and then start over with real $$ bids for draft slots in round two
:)
Not sure what your confused smilie is for......Auctioneer puts up pick at 1.01 for bid.......Joe wins for $1100.....Joe takes first seat, selects player for that pick; auctioneer now auctions off draft slot 1.02......Bill wins for $1050......Bill takes seat, makes pick.....back to auctioneer.....to end of round one.....pick 1.12 is $1Now the auctioneer puts draft pick 2.01 up for bid......repeat until all twelve round two picks are bid on and players selected.Now reverts to serpentine draft with pick at 3.01 - round three draft order is same as round one.
Ahh, that makes sense. Sounds like fun too if you've got the money to throw around.The way I understood it, you said that after round 1, the draft order would be the same for round 2 onward, meaning the same guy picks 1st in each round. Which seems lopsided, but as long as every player has the same chance at #1 it's okay.But then you said you auction off the round 2 picks (which I thought were supposed to be the same as round 1), hence :lmao:

David Dodds said:
BusterTBronco said:
I drafted this team using Footballguys Composite Projections (30% me, 30% Henry, 20% Wood and 20% Tremblay). I did that to eliminate some biases I may have with players. I have always felt that this strategy lands me better teams. LT came out better than SJax and I went with it. I will draft at WCOFF and FFPC with a similar strategy (using weighted projections and also changing up the weekly weights sightly).
Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. Also, props to you for putting your name out there in some of the high stakes contests.

joffer said:
Mr.Pack said:
Sheriff66 said:
BusterTBronco said:
:blackdot: Interesting stuff.......
please tell me you guys are kidding
Kidding about what? I work fulltime and run a business. I do not have time to play with projections and figure out draft sheets. I pay for this and expect confidence from the guy I'm buying from.Pretty simple :pickle:

David Dodds said:
Adding a little bit more to using composite projections (created in Projections Dominator and then imported to the Draft Dominator).It was my idea to create the Projections Dominator because I knew there were many talented guys on staff creating great numbers. I feel we have four outstanding people doing offensive projections. Each set of numbers is a tad different. Most notably:Mine - Anti-rookie bias generally. I do a lot of work with statistical norms both on teams and within the NFL. Usually very conservative top ends to all players.Bob Henry - Either #1 or #2 all-time in the Fantasy Index Master poll lifetime ratings. He manages our depth charts and writes all of the camp updates. He also does our forward projections for the Lineup Dominator. He uses a similar baseline when creating numbers. He projects the deepest of all of us.Jason Wood - Generally likes the rookies more than the rest of us. He writes or manages all of the Spotlights and also edits all of the training camp reports. He creates our Training Camp watchlists and also pens the Offseason Coaching and Philosophy Changes article. These tasks form strong opinions on players. Jason usually has higher top ends of the true studs in the league.Maurile Tremblay - He takes a very pessimistic approach to players staying healthy. He also projects a lot of players because of this (usually expects people to play 15 games or less). He invokes his own complex modeling system to assist with the numbers creation.Four different approaches to the same data. I think we all do a great job independently, but together the data usually drafts the strongest teams. It's an approach I have been using the last few years to great success.
This makes sense, but why are FBG VBD projections and cheatsheets not based on this same principle? It seems like a good way to go.Is this possible for us "little guys" to do this on our own? If so can you walk us through it? Like I said earlier, I don't have a ton of time to do my own projections and cheat sheets which is why I come here and pay for them and get a nice edge on the competition.Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread