What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My life after the passing of my wife - 6 years later!!! (2 Viewers)

Should have posted this earlier.  

Ring the Bell!!!!!

Don't recall if I said this previously.  I wasn't going to ring the bell because I didn't have anybody there with me but my nurses talked me into it.  After doing so, I realized I wasn't ringing if for other people, I was ringing it for me. 
Ring the #### out of that bell brother!!  Be excited!  Be proud!!  Great job!!

Ring the Bell!!!!!

Don't recall if I said this previously.  I wasn't going to ring the bell because I didn't have anybody there with me but my nurses talked me into it.  After doing so, I realized I wasn't ringing if for other people, I was ringing it for me. 
Oh yaaaay! My infusion center didn't have a bell. 🛎They gave me flowers. Here's to life long of being NED/remission! 🥂🙏🏻

Ring the Bell!!!!!

I think cancer has touched almost all of us here. Leukemia took my younger brother from my parents and I in 1976.

I haven't responded much to your thread but I have followed your journey over the years on this board.  I am so happy for you.  Thank you for sharing.  And I hope you continue to be well.

Quick flyby here.  

4 years ago today my kidney cancer was diagnosed via a CT scan.  Been an interesting journey I wouldn’t wish on anybody.

I’ll post a more detailed explanation about where I am medically after my scans and Drs appointment this month.

I’m actually in a good place in life right now.

Cheers,

cheeseypoof

Quick flyby here.  

4 years ago today my kidney cancer was diagnosed via a CT scan.  Been an interesting journey I wouldn’t wish on anybody.

I’ll post a more detailed explanation about where I am medically after my scans and Drs appointment this month.

Cheers,

cheeseypoof
Wishing you a very happy holiday season! May you receive the best news this month! Xx

Quick flyby here.  

Cheers,

cheeseypoof
CP,

You’re an amazing dude. You’ve been dealt some impossible challenges in life and you’re kicking the crap out of them. Good on you brother. Sending you all the best of wishes — you deserve every bit of that good place you’re in right now, please enjoy it, and may it only get better form here. 

Best,

Oats 

Little bit of a Christmas update.

Progressing well medically 4 months after treatment ended.  Most recent CT of the chest and MRI of the abdomen/pelvis showed nothing concerning.  Scan results have basically been stable for the past 2 years.  No indications of disease re-occurrence.  Blood work has been good.  Kidney function tests continue to look good.  I’ll stay on the quarterly bloodwork and surveillance scan schedule, so repeat in March. My diabetes (Type 2) is well controlled, but always room for improvement on that front.

Work is work.  Just interviewed for the title I should have based upon what I’m being asked to do.  Should hear something early in the new year.  If I don’t get it, and the person they promote doesn’t know my job, it maybe time to return-assess what I want to do.  Have the age and years to retire but I actually like my job just frustrated with my immediate supervisor.  Will have to see what the new year brings.

Started dating a woman at the end of October.  Been great so far and see no reason it won’t continue that way.  She’s good to me and for me.  Just got home from her families Christmas celebration. All her kids seem to like me, and I passed the mother test as her mother likes me.  So does her dog.  Lol  It’s nice having a special someone in my life again.

All in all, 2021 is ending on an upswing and 2022 is starting out on a high.

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

cheeseypoof

AAABatteries said:
@cheeseypoof - any updates?

Hope you and your son are doing well
Hey there.  Thanks for asking.

It’s going pretty well.  Health is generally ok.  As of my last set of scans in March still no signs of my cancer returning. Due for new scans in June.  Kidney function is just ok.  Dr isn’t overtly concerned but we’re keeping tabs on it.  Diabetes is ok.  Blood sugar is slightly up but I attribute that mostly to work stress.

Work is good just crazy busy.  Personal life in a good place.  Going on 7 months with the same woman.

Kid is good.  His most recent follow up on his Type 1 diabetes was very good.  He’s working a ton and going to as many baseball games as possible.

Overall I’d say I’m in a good place.  I’ll try and update late June/early July after my next round of scans.

Cheesey

Hey there.  Thanks for asking.

It’s going pretty well.  Health is generally ok.  As of my last set of scans in March still no signs of my cancer returning. Due for new scans in June.  Kidney function is just ok.  Dr isn’t overtly concerned but we’re keeping tabs on it.  Diabetes is ok.  Blood sugar is slightly up but I attribute that mostly to work stress.

Work is good just crazy busy.  Personal life in a good place.  Going on 7 months with the same woman.

Kid is good.  His most recent follow up on his Type 1 diabetes was very good.  He’s working a ton and going to as many baseball games as possible.

Overall I’d say I’m in a good place.  I’ll try and update late June/early July after my next round of scans.

Cheesey
Quick update on the kidney function.  Just had a few blood/urine tests done this week.  Nephrologist just sent me a message saying the results looked good.  Always nice the get confirmation from the Dr.

Cheesey

Quick update on the kidney function.  Just had a few blood/urine tests done this week.  Nephrologist just sent me a message saying the results looked good.  Always nice the get confirmation from the Dr.

Cheesey
Awesome doc. So many don't call if all's well. Glad things are going good!

Few things I can update.

June 24th marked six years that my wife Courtney passed.  Her funeral was 6 years ago today.  Still hurts but I  just acknowledge the pain and keep moving forward. Obviously been on my mind a lot recently as the anniversary of her passing approached.

I had my most recent set of scans and bloodwork done in June.  Oncologist said all looked great.  Best words ever: 

“No evidence of metastatic disease.”

Woohoo!!!  10 months post treatment and still in remission.  He’s slowly shifting time between follow ups.  Now on a 4 month schedule instead of 3.  Still have cardiac, thyroid and colonoscopy follows up in the next 6 months.  Generally I feel alright.  Need to try and focus on my weight (slowly creeping up), eating a little better and exercising.  Been slacking in that regard.

Girl friend and I broke up just before Memorial Day.  I started pulling back because I was starting to feel claustrophobic within the relationship.  It started to become a chore rather than something I looked forward too.  Totally on me, nothing she did.  We are still on friendly terms.  Actually saw her today to return something of hers she needed.  It was a little strange but was all good.  Figure it’s time to work on me for a bit.

Work is still crazy.  Been taking on some new projects that will be a challenge but I’m hoping it re-energizes my mindset.  Still can’t stand by Bureau Chief but my Director likes me and the work I do.  Promotion on the horizon.  It’s civil service so I don’t completely trust the messed up process that needs to take place.

The kid is still working a lot and going to baseball games when he’s off.  His medical stuff is all under control too.

Overall life is good.

Hope everybody has a wonderful holiday weekend.

As always thank you for the continued support! ❤️

Cheesey

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick update:

Had my blood work, Chest CT and abdomen and Pelvic MRI's in October. Scans remain clear of any evidence of metastatic disease. Scans have basically been clear for over 2 years. One more set in February and if they're clear I go to a 6-month follow up schedule.

Been experiencing high urine protein levels on and off since my cancer surgery where one kidney was removed. Urine protein levels have been increasing recently. This isn't unheard of in my situation (1 kidney, type 2 diabetes, overweight, high BP that I take meds for, etc.). Nephrologist started my on a new med to help with the the protein wasting. I'm due for repeat labs soon to check if the new med is having any affect.

Generally I feel pretty good. The kidney function/protein wasting has me a little concerned but I'm satisfied with the current course of action.

Work is still crazy. My director is retiring in a few months. Hopefully the frenetic nature of her management style will settle down. I like working for her, but the everything is a fire style of management gets exhausting. LOL

The on again off again relationship with the woman I was dating ended, for good, in early September. For the best. I was feeling a bit claustrophobic and started pulling away. Thankfully, it was an amicable break up.

Woman I went to HS with recently reached out and we just started talking. See what happens there. LOL

Overall, doing as well as can be expected.

Cheeseypoof

Last edited:
Thoughts and prayers needed.

Surgery on my feet/toes today after I developed an infection. All self inflicted though unintentional. Feel like a moron.

Saturday before thanksgiving I burned both big toes sitting around a fire pit. As a type 2 diabetic I knew better but tried to manage it on my own. Managed right into an infection and a trip to the ER.

I sitting in my hospital room waiting to go down to surgery. Prognosis is good. Going to clean up some dead tissue and evaluate the extent of the infection. I have good blood flow and pulse in the feet (I just apparently can’t feel heat). How we if the infection is worse than expected and the damage is worse than anticipated, I could lose my toe. That’s worse case but the surgeon doesn’t believe that’s truly in play.

Thanks. I’ll update when I can.

Cheesey!!!

Thoughts and prayers needed.

Surgery on my feet/toes today after I developed an infection. All self inflicted though unintentional. Feel like a moron.

Saturday before thanksgiving I burned both big toes sitting around a fire pit. As a type 2 diabetic I knew better but tried to manage it on my own. Managed right into an infection and a trip to the ER.

I sitting in my hospital room waiting to go down to surgery. Prognosis is good. Going to clean up some dead tissue and evaluate the extent of the infection. I have good blood flow and pulse in the feet (I just apparently can’t feel heat). How we if the infection is worse than expected and the damage is worse than anticipated, I could lose my toe. That’s worse case but the surgeon doesn’t believe that’s truly in play.

Thanks. I’ll update when I can.

Cheesey!!!
That sucks Cheesey....hoping for the best possible outcome for you!

Worst case realized. Damage was such that it was decided amputation was needed so the big toe on my left foot was removed.

Once I got over the shock, I think I’m doing well. I feel good otherwise. Minimal discomfort. Just taking as is comes is my approach right now.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.

I’ll get through this, like I have everything else, cause I really don’t have a choice.

Thanks,
Cheeseypoof

So I was always told that if you lost your big toe you essentially had to learn how to walk again, is that what they told you or is that an overstatement?
Haven’t been told that but I am scheduled for PT, so I expect some truth.

I’m a heel-to-toe walker and more on the outside of my foot so maybe that mitigates the effect somewhat. Just don’t know yet.

So I was always told that if you lost your big toe you essentially had to learn how to walk again, is that what they told you or is that an overstatement?
Haven’t been told that but I am scheduled for PT, so I expect some truth.

I’m a heel-to-toe walker and more on the outside of my foot so maybe that mitigates the effect somewhat. Just don’t know yet.
I pray for the best for you Cheesy.

Worst case realized. Damage was such that it was decided amputation was needed so the big toe on my left foot was removed.

Once I got over the shock, I think I’m doing well. I feel good otherwise. Minimal discomfort. Just taking as is comes is my approach right now.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.

I’ll get through this, like I have everything else, cause I really don’t have a choice.

Thanks,
Cheeseypoof
Hoping for a good recovery for you cheesey

Your perseverance is amazing. Keep kicking Cheesy.

You now have something in common with Clyde Barrow of Bonnie & Clyde fame who chopped off his left big toe (and the adjacent one) with an axe in order to get transferred to a different prison.

Users who are viewing this thread