What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MY List of Top 100 Instrumental Songs/Artists - and at #1 Frankenstein (1 Viewer)

#93. Love Is Blue - Paul Mauriat

Written by the French composers André Popp and Pierre Cour, this song was originally Luxembourg's entry in the 1967 Eurovision Song Contest sung by the Greek singer Vicky Leandros. It finished in fourth place.

In 1968, French orchestral leader Paul Mauriat's instrumental version went to #1 in the US, making it the biggest ever seller of a Eurovision Song Contest song in America, and the first US chart topper by a French artist. In the UK it peaked at #12.

Many other artists have recorded this, including a version by Country and Western artist Marty Robbins in 1968. That same year, it hit the Hot 100 for three different artists: Al Martino (#57), Claudine Longet (#71) and Manny Kellem (#96). In 1969, a version by the The Dells in a medley with "I Can Sing A Rainbow" reached #22.

Jeff Beck covered this song after he left the Yardbirds, but before he formed the Jeff Beck Group. According to Rolling Stone biography on Beck, he deliberately played it out of tune because he hated the song. His version reached #23 in the UK.

#96. The River Kwai March / Colonel Bogey March - Mitch Miller

"The River Kwai March" is a march composed by Malcolm Arnold in 1957. It was written as an orchestral counter-march to the "Colonel Bogey March", which is whistled by the soldiers entering the prisoner camp in the film The Bridge on the River Kwai and again near the end of the film when the bridge is formally dedicated. The Arnold march re-appears (without the "Colonel Bogey March") several times in the film and is repeated at the finale.

The two marches have been recorded together by Mitch Miller as "March from the River Kwai - Colonel Bogey". Due to this, the "Colonel Bogey March" is often mis-credited as "River Kwai March".

The Breakfast Club Cover
There are lyrics for the song

Göring has only got one ball
Hitler's [are] so very small
Himmler's so very similar
And Goebbels has no balls at all

Written by the French composers André Popp and Pierre Cour, this song was originally Luxembourg's entry in the 1967 Eurovision Song Contest sung by the Greek singer Vicky Leandros. It finished in fourth place.

In 1968, French orchestral leader Paul Mauriat's instrumental version went to #1 in the US, making it the biggest ever seller of a Eurovision Song Contest song in America, and the first US chart topper by a French artist. In the UK it peaked at #12.

Many other artists have recorded this, including a version by Country and Western artist Marty Robbins in 1968. That same year, it hit the Hot 100 for three different artists: Al Martino (#57), Claudine Longet (#71) and Manny Kellem (#96). In 1969, a version by the The Dells in a medley with "I Can Sing A Rainbow" reached #22.

Jeff Beck covered this song after he left the Yardbirds, but before he formed the Jeff Beck Group. According to Rolling Stone biography on Beck, he deliberately played it out of tune because he hated the song. His version reached #23 in the UK.
Back at the end of 68, some radio station in the Bay Area was doing a best song of the year list. This song was #1, Hey Jude was #2.  :rolleyes:

No accounting for taste

never have a heard a more relentlessly overplayed song than this was

Here is Beck's version

His manager was trying to groom him to be a mainstream solo act, making him record easy-listening instrumentals ("Love Is Blue") and mindless pop songs ("Hi Ho Silver Lining"). It took almost 2 years before he and Rod Stewart were finally able to put together the "Truth" album, pushing his career into the proper rock and roll direction.

This thread needs more gas.
We’re getting close. I knew the bottom of this list was going to drag a little bit. And as I stated in the OP, it’s a busy work week for me. I’ve been getting up at 1:30am and working until into the afternoon. I’m doing my best. But #85-50 are good, and then it really gets going. Fight through it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
#92. Out of Limits - The Marketts

"Out of Limits" is a 1963 surf rock instrumental piece written by Michael Z. Gordon[1] and performed by The Marketts.

While on tour with a band called the Routers, Gordon wrote the Marketts’ first release on the Warner Bros. label and their biggest hit, an instrumental called “Outer Limits”. First pressings were issued as "Outer Limits", named and surf-styled after the television program of the same name. However, Rod Serling sued the Marketts for quoting the four note motif from his television show, The Twilight Zone, without his approval, which resulted in the change of the title to "Out of Limits". The record has been described as "an intriguing up-beat disc with a galloping rhythm".

The song peaked at #3 in February 1964 on the Hot 100 for two weeks and on Cashbox for one week. It stayed on both the Hot 100 and Cashbox for 14 weeks. The song sold over a million copies globally, topped the charts on many U.S. radio stations, and earned Gordon a BMI award. It brought the studio group national prominence, and many radio, nightclub and personal appearances.

The Ventures also had a very popular version of the song that was included on their 1964 album The Ventures In Space.

“Out of Limits” is a popular choice for television and film soundtracks; it can be heard in Pulp Fiction (1994), Slayground (1983), The Outsiders (1983) and Mafioso: The Father, the Son(2004). It is also available on the compilations Billboard Top Rock'n'Roll Hits: 1964, Elvira Presents Haunted Hits and Classic Rock (Time-Life Music).

#91. Dragnet - Ray Anthony

"Dragnet" is an instrumental theme from the radio and television show of the same name. It was composed by Walter Schumann for the radio show, and was also used on the subsequent television series and later syndication of the TV series under the name "Badge 714". The theme is in two parts: an opening signature "Main Title" (the ominous "Dum - - - de - DUM - DUM") and the "Dragnet March" used over the end credits.

Popular chart hit versions were recorded by Ray Anthony and his Orchestra (1953) and The Art of Noise (1987).

Film and television composer Nathan Scott, who began orchestrating for Schumann beginning in 1952, later became Dragnet's second composer following Schumann's departure from the series.

Covered in another 80's John Hughes classic.

#90. The Stripper - David Rose

"The Stripper" is an instrumental composed by David Rose, recorded in 1958 and released four years later. It evinces a jazz influence with especially prominent trombone slides, and evokes the feel of music used to accompany striptease artists.

The song came to prominence by chance. Rose had recorded "Ebb Tide" as the A-side of a record. His record company, MGM Records, wanted to get it on the market quickly, but discovered there was no B-side available for it. Rose was away at the time the need for the B-side song surfaced. An MGM office boy was given the job of going through some of Rose's tapes of unreleased material to find something that would work; he liked the song and chose it as the flip side for the record.

The song reached #1 on Billboard's Top 100 chart in July, 1962. It became a gold record. Billboard ranked the record as the #5 song of 1962.

It was the theme melody in the Swedish record sales list Kvällstoppen in the 1960s. It also became known as the background music for a contemporary Noxzema Shaving Cream commercial, featuring Swedish model Gunilla Knutsson,[3] and for a key scene in the films The Scarecrow (1973) and Slap Shot (1977). The piece features in the films The Scarecrow (1973) Slap Shot, The Full Monty (1997) and Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005). It was used on BBC Television in 1976 by the British comedians Morecambe and Wise in their "Breakfast Sketch" routine, where they perform a dance using various kitchen utensils and food items.

"The Stripper" was my high school fight song.  For real.  Legend has it that the administrators approved it after misreading the title as Striper.  No idea if that's true but it remained the official song for two decades after the school opened in the late 60s.  The 60s and 70s were very strange.

I was in the marching band so I've played the song hundreds of time.  I still remember the horn parts (French Horn in F, Alto Horn in E flat) but only snippets of the lyrics.

1st verse:  C'mon kids, let's make the scene/get out there and fight that team

Refrain:  We'll yell a little, ____ a little, ____ a little, blah blah blah blah

2nd verse:  Hamilton is really keen/with our ____ of gold and green

Refrain

Bridge:  We're raring to go/ready to show/Hamilton is the greatest school we know

Repeat 1st verse

Refrain

#89. Aquarium (from The Carnival of the Animals) - Camille Saint-Saens

The Carnival of the Animals (Le carnaval des animaux) is a humorous musical suite of fourteen movements by the French Romantic composer Camille Saint-Saëns. The work was written for private performance by an ad hocensemble of two pianos and other instruments, and lasts around 25 minutes.

From the beginning, Saint-Saëns regarded the work as a piece of fun. On 9 February 1886 he wrote to his publishers Durand in Paris that he was composing a work for the coming Shrove Tuesday, and confessing that he knew he should be working on his Third Symphony, but that this work was "such fun" ("... mais c'est si amusant!"). He had apparently intended to write the work for his students at the École Niedermeyer, but it was first performed at a private concert given by the cellist Charles Lebouc on Shrove Tuesday, 9 March 1886.

Saint-Saëns did specify in his will that the work should be published posthumously. Following his death in December 1921, the work was published by Durand in Paris in April 1922 and the first public performance was given on 25 February 1922 by Concerts Colonne (the orchestra of Édouard Colonne).

Carnival has since become one of Saint-Saëns's best-known works, played by the original eleven instruments, or more often with the full string section of an orchestra. Normally a glockenspiel substitutes for the rare glass harmonica. Ever popular with music teachers and young children, it is often recorded in combination with Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf or Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra.

Bugs & Daffy Parody of The Carnival of the Animals - Part 1

Bugs & Daffy - Part 2 (Aquarium starts at 4:19 mark)

"The Stripper" was my high school fight song.  For real.  Legend has it that the administrators approved it after misreading the title as Striper.  No idea if that's true but it remained the official song for two decades after the school opened in the late 60s.  The 60s and 70s were very strange.
Awesome! Great story!

#88. The Odd Couple Theme - Neal Hefti

The award-winning jazz instrumental theme was composed by Neal Hefti. The theme was used throughout the movie's sequel, starring Lemmon and Matthau and released 30 years later, and also adapted for the 1970 TV series and used over the opening credits. The song also has seldom-heard lyrics, written by Sammy Cahn.

#87. Nadia's Theme (The Young and the Restless) - Barry DeVorzon and Perry Botkin Jr.

"Nadia's Theme" is a piece of music composed by Barry De Vorzon and Perry Botkin, Jr. in 1971. It became associated with Olympic gymnast Nadia Comăneci during and after the 1976 Summer Olympics. The composition has been used as the theme music to the American television soap opera The Young and the Restless intermittently since the series debuted in 1973. This piece is also used regularly by Steve Wright presenter on BBC Radio 2 Sunday Love songs as a backing bed.

De Vorzon and Botkin Jr. composed this piece of music, originally titled "Cotton's Dream", as incidental music for the 1971 theatrical film Bless the Beasts and Children. The instrumental version was commercially released on that film's soundtrack album on A&M Records. The soundtrack also included "Lost", a song set to this melody, performed by Renée Armand.

Botkin Jr. later composed a rearranged version of the instrumental theme for the U.S. TV soap opera The Young and the Restless, which debuted on March 26, 1973, on the CBS television network. Although a soundtrack album for the TV series was released by P.I.P. Records in 1974, the LP only contained a cover version by easy listening group Sounds of Sunshine, rather than the original recording by De Vorzon and Botkin.

Ashamed to admit that I learned to play this on the piano when I was a kid.  :bag:

#86. The Munsters Theme Song - Jack Marshall

The instrumental theme song, titled "The Munsters's Theme", was composed by composer/arranger Jack Marshall. The theme song's lyrics, which the sitcom's co-producer Bob Mosher wrote, were never aired on CBS. Described by writer Jon Burlingame as a "Bernard-Herrmann-meets-Duane-Eddy sound", the theme was nominated for a Grammy Award in 1965. A sample of the theme was used in the song "Uma Thurman" by Fall Out Boy.

The infamous achilles scene

#85. Whale & Wasp - Alice In Chains

Jar of Flies is the third studio EP by the American rock band Alice in Chains, released on January 25, 1994, through Columbia Records. The album was self-produced by the band and recorded over the course of a week at the London Bridge Studio in Seattle. Jar of Flies is regarded as a continuation of the acoustic and melancholic sound that Alice in Chains adopted with Sap in 1992. The album was promoted by the singles "No Excuses" and "I Stay Away"; the latter single was nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock Performance.

Jar of Flies was critically and commercially successful. On February 12, 1994, Jar of Flies debuted at No. 1 in the Billboard 200 chart, the first EP in music history to do so. On September 19, 1995, Jar of Flies was certified triple-platinum by the RIAA after exceeding the threshold of 1.5 million copies sold. In Canada, Jar of Flies was certified double-platinum for the sale of 200,000 copies. In Great Britain, the album was certified silver after selling 60,000 copies.

Although it is difficult to give literary meaning to an instrumental piece, it is fair to assume that this was meant to depict both the euphoria and sadness of addiction. This song is soothing like a lullaby, but there is sorrow in every note. Feeding into addiction gives the user incredible pleasure, but it also traps them in a purgatory of depression. This chilling song is the musical equivalent of shooting heroin.

the best no words song in the opinon of swc is sleep walk by none other than santo and johnny you could totally watch the old submarine races and make time with your papershaker to that one take that to the bank brohans 

the best no words song in the opinon of swc is sleep walk by none other than santo and johnny you could totally watch the old submarine races and make time with your papershaker to that one take that to the bank brohans 
Hmm... we'll have to see if it makes my list brohan.

Up Next: A jazzy theme song from a 70's sitcom.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC

I was in the marching band so I've played the song hundreds of time.  I still remember the horn parts (French Horn in F, Alto Horn in E flat) but only snippets of the lyrics.

1st verse:  C'mon kids, let's make the scene/get out there and fight that team

Refrain:  We'll yell a little, ____ a little, ____ a little, blah blah blah blah

2nd verse:  Hamilton is really keen/with our ____ of gold and green

Refrain

Bridge:  We're raring to go/ready to show/Hamilton is the greatest school we know

Repeat 1st verse

Refrain
1st - sorry for the Hipple - been behind last few days. 

2nd - love the piece, Tom. 👍

3rf - Eephus - you saw how nosey I was about Floppy's & gianmarco's music past - thus, would you mind sharing a little about yours? 

Here may not be the place (or maybe it is) - regardless, I am truly interested. 

#84. Barney Miller Theme - Jack Elliott and Allyn Ferguson

The show's instrumental jazz fusion theme music, written by Jack Elliott and Allyn Ferguson, opens with a distinctive bass line performed by studio musician Chuck Berghofer. The bass line was improvised by Berghofer at the request of producer Dominik Hauser: "Can you do something on the bass? This guy is a cop in New York. Can we just start it out with the bass?" The theme song was ranked #23 and #27, respectively, by Complex and Paste magazines, in their lists of "best TV theme songs".

The theme plays over the Manhattan skyline, followed by shots of the characters and opening credits. Season 1 opened and closed with a shot of Midtown Manhattan as seen from Weehawken, New Jersey. Season 2 onward opened with a shot of Lower Manhattan as seen from Brooklyn Heights, with a barge being towed in the foreground, and closed with a shot of the Midtown Manhattan skyline as seen from Long Island City. Several versions of the theme were used during different seasons, with minor variations in composition and performance.

Barney Miller was a staple at the Skerritt house. I was a huge Wojo fan. And obviously a big fan of the theme song and the bass.

#83. Exodus - Ferrante and Teicher

Ferrante & Teicher were a duo of American piano players, known for their light arrangements of familiar classical pieces, movie soundtracks, and show tunes, as well as their signature style of florid, intricate and fast paced piano playing performances.

Arthur Ferrante (September 7, 1921, New York City – September 19, 2009), and Louis Teicher (pronounced as TIE-cher) (August 24, 1924, Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania – August 3, 2008) met while studying at the Juilliard School of Music in New York in 1930. Musical prodigies, they began performing as a piano duo while still in school. After graduating, they both joined the Juilliard faculty.

In 1947, they launched a full-time concert career, at first playing nightclubs, then quickly moving up to playing classical music with orchestral backing. Steven Tyler of Aerosmith relates the story that in the 1950s the two students practiced in the home of his grandmother Constance Neidhart Tallarico. Between 1950 and 1980, they were a major American "easy listening" act, and scored four big U.S. hits: "Theme from The Apartment" (Pop #10), "Theme From Exodus" (Pop #2), "Tonight" (Pop #8), and "Midnight Cowboy" (Pop #10). They performed and recorded regularly with pops orchestras popular standards by George Gershwin, Jerome Kern, Cole Porter, Richard Rodgers and others. In 1973, they did the Hollywood Radio Theater theme for the Rod Serling radio drama series, The Zero Hour.

A lot more TV show themes on here than I’d have expected.  Not meant as a criticism; just hadn’t considered those for the most part.

If Sanford & Son isn’t on there, I predict a rant from someone else in my household.

A lot more TV show themes on here than I’d have expected.  Not meant as a criticism; just hadn’t considered those for the most part.

If Sanford & Son isn’t on there, I predict a rant from someone else in my household.
I want the list to be fun and recognizable. If I went with more traditional classical stuff, it would be boring. Appreciate the feedback. And more TV themes to come.

#82 Hawaii Five-0 - Morton Stevens

Another legacy of the show is the popularity of the Hawaii Five-O theme music. The tune was composed by Morton Stevens, who also composed numerous episode scores performed by the CBS Orchestra. The theme was later recorded by the Ventures, whose version reached No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100 pop chart,[6] and is particularly popular with college and high school marching bands, especially at the University of Hawaii where it has become the unofficial fight song. The tune has also been heard at Robertson Stadium after Houston Dynamo goals scored by Brian Ching, a native of Hawaii. Because of the tempo of the music, the theme gained popularity in the UK with followers of Northern soul and was popular on dance floors in the 1970s.

Although the theme is most widely known as an instrumental, it has been released with at least two similar but different sets of lyrics. The first, "You Can Come with Me" by Don Ho, opens with an instrumental in the familiar tempo, then settles into a ballad style for the sung portion. The second, by Sammy Davis, Jr., titled "You Can Count on Me (Theme from Hawaii Five-O)", maintains the driving style of the original instrumental throughout.

Bill Murray sang his own made-up lyrics to the song on one of his "Nick the Lounge Singer" skits on Saturday Night Live.

On the 1997 Bill Nye the Science Guy episode "Volcanoes", the MIDI version of "Hawaii Five-O" was used during the "Pahoehoe Five-O" segments.

The song was also featured in the film 50 First Dates (2004), and the Sammy Davis Jr. version of the theme song was re-recorded by Los Straitjackets with Deke Dickerson and released in 2014.

Darts player Wayne Mardle used the song as his walk-on song in 2013.

#81. Songbird - Kenny G

"Songbird" is a song by Kenny G, played on a soprano saxophone, and the third single from his 1986 album Duotones. It reached No. 3 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart, No. 4 on the Hot 100 chart and No. 23 on the R&B chart.

Kenneth Bruce Gorelick (born June 5, 1956), better known by his stage name Kenny G, is an American saxophonist. His 1986 album, Duotones, brought him commercial success. Kenny G is one of the best-selling artists of all time, with global sales totaling more than 75 million records.

When released in 1987, the song became the first instrumental to reach the top 5 of the Billboard Hot 100 since the "Miami Vice Theme" by Jan Hammer (a No. 1 hit) in 1985. [SEE #98]

On a personal note, a friend of mine (the top high school jazz saxophonist in my home state at the time) and I attended a Kenny G concert. We had aisle seats. During the show, Kenny would occasionally walk through the aisles, stop and play in front of a few people. And I will forever remember that Kenny stopped in front of me and my friend and played a brief solo for us. Super cheesy, but super cool too.

I still own (and occasionally play) a Selmer soprano saxophone. Just a beautiful instrument.

Users who are viewing this thread