What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Navigating The Nick Chubb Injury (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
It goes without saying we hate to see injuries.

They're an unfortunate reality of real and fantasy football.

For both the Browns and Fantasy Teams who drafted Chubb, once we're sure of his safety, one question we're asking is "What moves do we make to try and navigate the loss of a great player like Nick Chubb?"

If Chubb was your RB, what type of moves are you trying to make now?

Great thread topic JB,

-Unfortunately when you lose a star RB you draft relatively high like say 1st or 2nd round in most redraft formats, you are largely out of luck.
-And it's not just RB, almost anyone you draft and lose to season ending injuries, very difficult and next to impossible to recover.

The only thing I have found over the years is to play in 8-10-15-20 redraft leagues and don't overload on 1 player especially in the early rounds of these drafts. Usually a handful of them will leave you entering the Playoffs with a relatively healthy team while others look like a bunch of scrubs with all the waiver wire guys you try and pick up when you sustain an injury.

I also think you have to just love the game of football so that even if you lose out on FF it doesn't impact your enjoyment on Sundays. I felt like I needed to get away from the TV last night after the Chubb injury, at least for a while and it made the outcome of the Steelers game feel less important vs the Chubb injury

Good luck everyone that drafted Chubb
Cheers!

Unfortunately when you lose a star RB you draft relatively high like say 1st or 2nd round in most redraft formats, you are largely out of luck.
And it's not just RB, almost anyone you draft and lose to season ending injuries, very difficult and next to impossible to recover.

I think it’s imperative to build a roster that can handle at least one season ending injury to one to your top 1-2 RBs and still remain competitive. I plan on it at this point. Inspired by Dodd’s Perfect Draft, I sluff QB but pick three in hopes of one elevating to a top 5 QB during the year and I sluff some at WR knowing I’ll work the waiver wire hard and fast to round out the 1-2 decent top 25 WRs I’m limited to with this strategy. In sluffing, I can get more quality into my RB corps and lessen the impact of a serious injury. With flex lineups, I’ll probably be starting three RBs I want the 4-5 best RBs I can get at the draft. Although I never see other owners go this hard for RBs at draft, Chubb’s injury is the perfect example of what you need to prepare for each season.

Jerome Ford looked the part last night and anyone they bring in should be backing him up. Dual threat and looked really good, I’d send it all in for him if I lost Chubb and maybe a tiny small amount on Hunt just in case. Pierre strong for free also if you have the spot.

Unfortunately when you lose a star RB you draft relatively high like say 1st or 2nd round in most redraft formats, you are largely out of luck.
And it's not just RB, almost anyone you draft and lose to season ending injuries, very difficult and next to impossible to recover.

I think it’s imperative to build a roster that can handle at least one season ending injury to one to your top 1-2 RBs and still remain competitive. I plan on it at this point. Inspired by Dodd’s Perfect Draft, I sluff QB but pick three in hopes of one elevating to a top 5 QB during the year and I sluff some at WR knowing I’ll work the waiver wire hard and fast to round out the 1-2 decent top 25 WRs I’m limited to with this strategy. In sluffing, I can get more quality into my RB corps and lessen the impact of a serious injury. With flex lineups, I’ll probably be starting three RBs I want the 4-5 best RBs I can get at the draft. Although I never see other owners go this hard for RBs at draft, Chubb’s injury is the perfect example of what you need to prepare for each season.
This is an old school roster construction philosophy that maybe isnt as common as it used to be.

It used to be a lot harder with half of the teams in your league or more taking 3 RB at the start of the draft.

Patterns like this is partly what led to PPR scoring to try to change this dynamic.

But the reason people drafted RB so heavily in the early rounds was in large part about insurance for inevitable injuries, not just because RB touch the ball so much. Then ADP causing some to follow suit so they wouldnt be left holding the bag.

The only league that I’ve got Chubb in is a deep dynasty league. I’ve got Ford, so I guess he’ll step into my lineup. Probably in for a long year because I’ve already lost Rodgers for the year, and Ekeler has no timetable for return.

Not sure it makes sense to be a seller to a contender because the most likely post-peak guys on my roster are banged up and limited value this season.

So, eh, probably just going to muddle through the year now.

Last edited:
Constantly churning the bottom of the roster put K Williams on my bench before the start of the week, not sure I want anyone on a Chubbless Browns. I will put a mid-level bid on Z Moss & T Spears, low on T Chandler & T Bigsby and a zero dollar on K Hunt as a dart throw.

This is an old school roster construction philosophy that maybe isnt as common as it used to be.

It used to be a lot harder with half of the teams in your league or more taking 3 RB at the start of the draft.

Patterns like this is partly what led to PPR scoring to try to change this dynamic.

But the reason people drafted RB so heavily in the early rounds was in large part about insurance for inevitable injuries, not just because RB touch the ball so much. Then ADP causing some to follow suit so they wouldnt be left holding the bag.

I think you’re right. And I definitely find other owners spending high picks or good dollars for top QB/WR/TEs whereas I’ll put four of five top picks to RB or 70% of my auction budget. Yet I find it still works. Drafting three QBs makes up for a weaker selection but I seem to end up with decent options like Cousins. There is enough quality available off waivers for emerging WRs during the season that I often end up with a decent WR corps. This year that’s PNacua…so far, so good. Replacing a quality starter at RB is the tallest order for in-season roster management and the task I’d like to avoid the most.

I think you’re right. And I definitely find other owners spending high picks or good dollars for top QB/WR/TEs whereas I’ll put four of five top picks to RB or 70% of my auction budget. Yet I find it still works. Drafting three QBs makes up for a weaker selection but I seem to end up with decent options like Cousins. There is enough quality available off waivers for emerging WRs during the season that I often end up with a decent WR corps. This year that’s PNacua…so far, so good. Replacing a quality starter at RB is the tallest order for in-season roster management and the task I’d like to avoid the most.
Yeah I would usually zig instead of zag here. But I would know every RB with a pulse as a way to compensate.

I dont dig that deep into it anymore.

There is more than one way to skin a cat but stud RB theory certainly valid. Even today.

In one league, I’m going to more or less stand pat. My waiver position isn’t high enough to get Ford, but I’ll be able to plug Gibson or Achane into the roster spot as a FA. I drafted RB heavy, still having Stevenson, Pollard, R White, Moss and Williamson. (Only two bench WRs and singles at every other position.)

In my other league, I’ll probably just curl up and die. I was already playing without Kupp, and my RBs are White, Javonte, B Rob (Was), Chubb and Gainwell. Which reinforces the lesson, “Don’t drink and draft”.

Okay, I got one better. How do you navigate the loss of Chubb, Montgomery, & J.K. Dobbins? On one fantasy team.
answer: dang near impossible, but you do what you can with what is out there.

Okay, I got one better. How do you navigate the loss of Chubb, Montgomery, & J.K. Dobbins? On one fantasy team.
answer: dang near impossible, but you do what you can with what is out there.
Defending Champ in my primary 12 Team Dyn lost DK Dobbins, Chubb, ARodgers, Diontae Johnson & possibly AR (concussion) so far!!
He still has Henry & Conner @ RB
Cousins & Mike White at QB
Plus AJB, Lamb, Mike Evans & Tyreek Hill
THAT IS HOW YOU HANDLE IT!

Lost Chubb. Will plug in my waiver wire pick up from last week…Gus! Not a great option, but that’s why he was not drafted. My other hole is that someone like Spears or McKinnon turns into a lottery ticket.

In one league, I’m going to more or less stand pat. My waiver position isn’t high enough to get Ford, but I’ll be able to plug Gibson or Achane into the roster spot as a FA. I drafted RB heavy, still having Stevenson, Pollard, R White, Moss and Williamson. (Only two bench WRs and singles at every other position.)
I'll be riding Stevenson, Pacheco, Gainwell, Moss, and will be attempting to pick up Achane

As always, I'll be very active on the wire

Defending Champ in my primary 12 Team Dyn lost DK Dobbins, Chubb, ARodgers, Diontae Johnson & possibly AR (concussion) so far!!
dynasty sure. I'm in a 12 team redraft. Like I said, dang near Imposible.

dynasty sure. I'm in a 12 team redraft. Like I said, dang near Imposible.

Just keep at improving the roster. Still a LOT of season left. With a few good pickups and a little luck anything can happen.

The Browns o-line is solid but Ford, Strong, and Hunt aren't Chubb.
Does the Chubb injury place more emphasis on the Browns passing game...or are people still not-so-hot on Watson?
I have Njoku and will likely be dropping him for Goedert who's sitting on the wire (redraft).

Well if you are not on an 8-league, grab Dallas no matter what. Eventually, PHillys is going to improve and TE production is hard to come by.
Concerning the browns one of them is going to be a solid RB2 and the odds are in favor of Ford.
Does the Chubb injury place more emphasis on the Browns passing game...or are people still not-so-hot on Watson?
I have Njoku and will likely be dropping him for Goedert who's sitting on the wire (redraft).

That was same thoughts…Run game demise = Passing Game opportunity
I traded for Elijah Moore only to see hindered Cooper look better
Granted most of the targets were not catchable … Watson is not where he was prior to his exile

Users who are viewing this thread