What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NCAA has ruined bowl season (1 Viewer)

Rove!

Footballguy
Used to look forward to the bowls and the big matchups, now the games are anti-climactic because it's just one game that really matters.

If they went back to the old bowl system and still played a national title game after the bowls, than many of the bowls could have an impact on championship selection. Seeing the the number 4 team in the Big Ten playing the number 4 SEC could help change strength of schedule and conference ratings.

The BCS ruined the bowl games for me and a playoff system, however it's done, won't help. Seeing a team from Florida or Texas play the Rose Bowl was disappointing. The tradition and magic of the New Year's Day bowl games is long gone, never to return.

I liked the traditional match ups and all games played on New Year's Day. Maybe the playoffs will help?

So you liked split championships and not having the #1 and #2 teams play? We got robbed of some great matchups over the years.

I agree that I liked the New Year's Day bowls. There are just way too many bowl games now. The number should be cut way back. A 6-6 team should not be playing in a bowl game.

Last edited:
So you liked split championships and not having the #1 and #2 teams play? We got robbed of some great matchups over the years.

I agree that I liked the New Year's Day bowls. There are just way too many bowl games now. The number should be cut way back. A 6-6 team should not be playing in a bowl game.
Slow down there!! If you're saying you don't like the Belk Bowl, Advocare V100 Bowl, or the Gilden New Mexico Bowl, then I don't want to hear it!

Slow down there!! If you're saying you don't like the Belk Bowl, Advocare V100 Bowl, or the Gilden New Mexico Bowl, then I don't want to hear it!
As long as they keep the BoBB, they can drop the rest as far as I'm concerned.

read what I wrote...we could have both

have the bowls finish up by 1/1 and have 1 and 2 play on like 1/10 or something

you get to have your cake and eat it too

not to mention that the bowls will have even more at stake

Last edited by a moderator:
Bowls aligning with conferences and choosing teams based on fan base sizes have ruined the bowls.
:shrug: Why do bowls exist?

1. Make money for Sponsor

2. Make money for local economy

Bowls need teams that travel well - they don't care about TV ratings. ESPN might care, but they should also be making financially prudent decisions when bidding on TV rights.

:lmao:

Bowls are stupid. Always were. Dumb idea. Time they move to a real championship.

"Oh boy, we won the GalleryFurniture.Com bowl! Look at all this glory and prestige!!" :rolleyes: Great, the 4th and 7th best teams in some division face off and you're supposed to be excited about it? "We went 7-6, and we won a bowl game!!!" Whoop-de-do. Half the teams make a bowl game. It has no greater meaning than it's the last game of a season. It's like Giants fans getting excited they beat Washington in the last game of the season after both teams were out of playoff contention. Ever hear a football fan say "We were 7-9, but, we beat our division rival in the last game of the year! So we had a successful season!!!!" Deserves to be punched in the neck.

Bowls aligning with conferences and choosing teams based on fan base sizes have ruined the bowls.
Bowls need teams that travel well - they don't care about TV ratings. ESPN might care, but they should also be making financially prudent decisions when bidding on TV rights.
If that's true then many bowls would be going out of business. They are making plenty of money in the bowl games. Bigger crowds help them make more money for sure. But the games suck now compared to 20 years ago, in my opinion.

Unless I am misunderstanding your point, I think the ratings certainly matter.

The sponsor who spends a ton of money to get their name on the bowl cares more about the 3-5 million viewers on TV than they do about the 60k in the stadium. The return on their sponsorship comes from tv viewers, not in game attendance I believe.

Unless I am misunderstanding your point, I think the ratings certainly matter.

The sponsor who spends a ton of money to get their name on the bowl cares more about the 3-5 million viewers on TV than they do about the 60k in the stadium. The return on their sponsorship comes from tv viewers, not in game attendance I believe.
How many more people read about the Poulan Weedwhacker bowl, than actually watch it? The value is in everyone referring to the bowl with the sponsor's name.

Bcs bowls are averaging about 15 million viewers. So I think most are pleased.

Smaller bowls are cleaning up the ratings too.

More football = good. They're adding more games next year too. :thumbup:

Bowls are stupid. Always were. Dumb idea. Time they move to a real championship.

"Oh boy, we won the GalleryFurniture.Com bowl! Look at all this glory and prestige!!" :rolleyes: Great, the 4th and 7th best teams in some division face off and you're supposed to be excited about it? "We went 7-6, and we won a bowl game!!!" Whoop-de-do. Half the teams make a bowl game. It has no greater meaning than it's the last game of a season. It's like Giants fans getting excited they beat Washington in the last game of the season after both teams were out of playoff contention. Ever hear a football fan say "We were 7-9, but, we beat our division rival in the last game of the year! So we had a successful season!!!!" Deserves to be punched in the neck.
You're looking at this kind of dumb. Most years almost 100 teams know they have no shot at playing for a title. If you're at a MAC school your goal is not to beat FSU or Alabama but to get to a decent bowl game against a comparable team.

Nothing wrong with a 7-5 or 6-6 team of unpaid kids who worked for no income all year getting a free week of what is essentially a vacation.

Kind of like a 4 team playoff? :shrug:

WAAAAAAAAH THERE'S TOO MUCH FOOTBALL!!! :cry:

People griping about too many bowl games is possibly the stupidest thing ever.

Right up there with complaining about NFL football on Thursday Nite.

Remember the good ole days when we would get 8 bowl games on New Year's with so many overlapping you couldn't watch them all.

Kind of like a 4 team playoff? :shrug:
AFTER the bowls

let the bowl games be played and maybe shake up the rankings...eliminate a few teams who think they should contend and have meaningful games ....

BassNBrew said:
Homer J Simpson said:
Sarnoff said:

Remember the good ole days when we would get 8 bowl games on New Year's with so many overlapping you couldn't watch them all.
the good old days were 4-5 games on New Years day, all with National title implications and great games all week from Christmas onwards....

BassNBrew said:
Homer J Simpson said:
Sarnoff said:

WAAAAAAAAH THERE'S TOO MUCH FOOTBALL!!! :cry: People griping about too many bowl games is possibly the stupidest thing ever.

the good old days were 4-5 games on New Years day, all with National title implications and great games all week from Christmas onwards....
4-5 games with national title implications meant #2 playing #15 in the orange bowl. Stupid.

BassNBrew said:
Homer J Simpson said:
Sarnoff said:

WAAAAAAAAH THERE'S TOO MUCH FOOTBALL!!! :cry: People griping about too many bowl games is possibly the stupidest thing ever.

4-5 games with national title implications meant #2 playing #15 in the orange bowl. Stupid.
why?

I am throughly enjoying College Football now more than ever. As I have gotten older NCAA Football has taken over the NFL for me. The games are far more exciting, the kids play their hearts out and although there are probably a tad too many bowl games with 6-6 teams, alot of the bigger bowl games between 12/30- 1/3 are really high quality, exciting and fun to watch.

I think the new playoff system will only enhance the impact of the major bowls now.

As far as the NFL the post season is off to a great start and like always will be great leading up to the anti-climatic corporate party known as the Super Bowl. If not for fantasy football.....I would watch probably one NFL game a week at this point (My wretched Dolphins....yeah I know....I love to tourture myself).

College Football rocks.

BassNBrew said:
Homer J Simpson said:
Sarnoff said:

Right up there with complaining about NFL football not being televised on Thursday Nite.
Wait...

We are robbed of good bowl games under this system as well. We had split champions under this system as well. :shrug: It was a popularity contest prior to the BCS as well as during the BCS...nothing really changed but the wrapper.

What I think is funny is how the winning is the "[insert Random Bowl] Champion". Then you see confetti flying and they get a trophy.Seriously? And we complain about all the kids that play Little League getting a trophy. We do it in college football too.

WDCRob's Perfect Bowl System:

Step one: go to a four team playoff (three bowl games)

Step two: increase the playoffs to eight teams (seven bowl games)

Step three: take the other 47 bowls out behind the shed and shoot them

Sarnoff said:

You're looking at this kind of dumb. Most years almost 100 teams know they have no shot at playing for a title. If you're at a MAC school your goal is not to beat FSU or Alabama but to get to a decent bowl game against a comparable team.

Nothing wrong with a 7-5 or 6-6 team of unpaid kids who worked for no income all year getting a free week of what is essentially a vacation.
I agree with this guy.

Great minds think alike

Great minds think alike
WOOHOO LESS FOOTBALL TO WATCH!

Great plan, guys. :rolleyes:
Cranky old men are the worst. No idea why anyone would actually hate the bowl games especially because, and here's the thing, you can pick and choose which ones you watch.

What I think is funny is how the winning is the "[insert Random Bowl] Champion". Then you see confetti flying and they get a trophy.Seriously? And we complain about all the kids that play Little League getting a trophy. We do it in college football too.
WTF kind of comparison is that? The team actually has to win to be the _____ Bowl Champs.

Sarnoff said:

I agree with this guy.
I didnt have that much going on this past Monday Afternoon December 23d that the Beef Bowl ruined my overall bowl experience.

WTF kind of comparison is that? The team actually has to win to be the _____ Bowl Champs.
True, but are you really a winner when you finish 7-6 and were the 5th or 6th best team in your conference?

Great minds think alike

Cranky old men are the worst. No idea why anyone would actually hate the bowl games especially because, and here's the thing, you can pick and choose which ones you watch.
If the NCAA wants to add a week of regular season games to let all 100 teams play another game, go for it. But 50 bowls kills the value/purpose of all of them.

True, but are you really a winner when you finish 7-6 and were the 5th or 6th best team in your conference?
I hope you don't have a job that requires logic, because you're going to get fired soon.

Sarnoff said:

I agree with this guy.
:goodposting:

I hope you don't have a job that requires logic, because you're going to get fired soon.
So you're okay with handing teams out trophies and calling them champs for winning some random bowl game? I have no problem with all the bowl games, but I just think it's weird that they're all called champions.

Great minds think alike

If the NCAA wants to add a week of regular season games to let all 100 teams play another game, go for it. But 50 bowls kills the value/purpose of all of them.
Explain how

Yes.

Great minds think alike
WOOHOO LESS FOOTBALL TO WATCH!Great plan, guys. :rolleyes:
What is the purpose of bowl games?

Frostillicus said:
Homer J Simpson said:
igbomb said:
wdcrob said:

Great minds think alike

Fair enough, keep the bowl games. I was more commenting on the 8 team playoff. I couldn't care less about the other bowl games.

MattFancy said:
Homer J Simpson said:
MattFancy said:
Sure. Why would this possibly bother you? It gives some 21 year olds something to be proud of.

It's not about you, gramps.

Frostillicus said:
wdcrob said:
Frostillicus said:
Homer J Simpson said:
igbomb said:
wdcrob said:

Great minds think alike

Explain how
The traditional bowls (even the smaller ones, like the Peach Bowl) virtually always had ranked teams in them. It was a reward for a good season and if you got into one there was a sense of accomplishment. It was a mark of good teams.

Now? It's just another game.

1940 -- 5

1950 -- 8

1970 -- 8

1980 -- 15

2000 -- 25

2013 -- 35

And in 19 of the 35 games neither team was ranked. From a marketing perspective the "bowl" brand has been completely destroyed already. Might as well just kill them off.

Users who are viewing this thread