What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NE or DEN will win because... (1 Viewer)

I think you have mischarcterized my arguments by trying to make my opinions directly contrary to the pats supporters.

Dude, they played that game poorly and still won by 25 points....with Deion Branch dropping a sure TD bomb that would have made it a 32 point margin......playing POORLY. NE doesnt play POORLY in the playoffs.....they just play to win....they dont care if it was considered poor or brilliant....by 25 or 2....winning is winning. Theyll elevate their game when needed....this weekend.
So you are saying they play down to their competition? I am curious if you have other examples of this from their last three playoff runs or is this the first time they have done this. And if this is the first year they have done this maybe it is not them "playing down to their competition", maybe they just aren't as good as previous years.Dude.

I think you have mischarcterized my arguments by trying to make my opinions directly contrary to the pats supporters.
I admit I am painting with broad strokes -I have the summary of your reasons. More accurate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes NE dropped a TD in the Jax game. What makes you think they won't do it again when they are in a hostile environment?I think you are underestimating how bad Jax was. They have no running game (Fred Taylor and a bunch of also-rans). Thier QB was coming back from injury after having not played for 6 weeks. After one half they were whooping this brutal team by the grand score of 7-3.At halftime the Pats used one of their weapons, their coach, to make some adjustments. Great! It still took some brutal tackling by Jax, a missed Jax FG and an INT for the Pats to pull away. AT HOME.Without these the score is 14-6, which is a tight victory over a putrid playoff team in your own backyard. I don't normally do the IF thing, but I am replying to your IF about them dropping a TD.

I admit I am painting with broad strokes -I have the summary of your reasons. More accurate?
First of all, it is not O versus O - it is O versus D:
2. NE pass D vs Den pass O: solomatise, mik789fl believe that Brady, Branch, Givins, and Brown are better than the Denver DB's. Marc Levin Disagrees, citing an improved D-line and excellent cover LB's.
2. NE pass O vs Den pass D: solomatise, mik789fl believe that Brady, Branch, Givins, and Brown are better than the Denver DB's. Marc Levin cites an improved denver pass rush and excellent LB's as items of denver's D that will neutralize the Patriots' passing game.Your comment, while labelled as NE Pass D versus Den Pass O, actually discusses the Pats pass O versus the denver D.

I'd also throw something in there about Denver's pass O versus the Pats pass D.

First of all, it is not O versus O - it is O versus D:
2. NE pass D vs Den pass O: solomatise, mik789fl believe that Brady, Branch, Givins, and Brown are better than the Denver DB's. Marc Levin Disagrees, citing an improved D-line and excellent cover LB's.
2. NE pass O vs Den pass D: solomatise, mik789fl believe that Brady, Branch, Givins, and Brown are better than the Denver DB's. Marc Levin cites an improved denver pass rush and excellent LB's as items of denver's D that will neutralize the Patriots' passing game.Your comment, while labelled as NE Pass D versus Den Pass O, actually discusses the Pats pass O versus the denver D.

I'd also throw something in there about Denver's pass O versus the Pats pass D.
Fixed. look good? I'd hate to mis-represent anyones reasons.

Dude, they played that game poorly and still won by 25 points....with Deion Branch dropping a sure TD bomb that would have made it a 32 point margin......playing POORLY.  NE doesnt play POORLY in the playoffs.....they just play to win....they dont care if it was considered poor or brilliant....by 25 or 2....winning is winning.  Theyll elevate their game when needed....this weekend.
So you are saying they play down to their competition? I am curious if you have other examples of this from their last three playoff runs or is this the first time they have done this. And if this is the first year they have done this maybe it is not them "playing down to their competition", maybe they just aren't as good as previous years.Dude.
Dude....where did I say they play down to their competition?? You provide that quote for me, and Ill provide you with a retort. I said theyd ELEVATE their game when needed....this weekend. Lets speak on our own behalves, shalnt we??....dude.

Denver wins because they will score more points than NE.
You're not allowing for the greatness of Tom Brady here! Even if Denver scores more points, Brady can still win the game for NE.
Holy crap...I forgot all about Brady.However...I see your bet and raise you the following:

Late rumors out of Denver report that Chuck Norris will be rooting for the Bronco's...

Game...Set...Match.

Dude, they played that game poorly and still won by 25 points....with Deion Branch dropping a sure TD bomb that would have made it a 32 point margin......playing POORLY.  NE doesnt play POORLY in the playoffs.....they just play to win....they dont care if it was considered poor or brilliant....by 25 or 2....winning is winning.  Theyll elevate their game when needed....this weekend.
Dude....where did I say they play down to their competition?? You provide that quote for me, and Ill provide you with a retort. I said theyd ELEVATE their game when needed....this weekend. Lets speak on our own behalves, shalnt we??....dude.
I hate to drag on arguments where the other side obviously isn't going to get it but sometimes I just can't help myself. You said they elevate their game when needed. So what happens when they don't need to elevate their game (vrs Jax)? They play like crap.

Since you are probably going to say this isn't "playing down to the competition" I'll just let it drop.

Instead I'll use your exact words and ask, what happens if they can't elevate their game against Den? In previous years I don't believe they had a very poor game and then magically elevated their game when needed. They were good the whole way through the playoffs. This year they are not, but people are convinced that because they are the Pats last week's showing doesn't matter. It matters much more than what happened in the last 4 years in the playoffs.

I hate to drag on arguments where the other side obviously isn't going to get it but sometimes I just can't help myself. You said they elevate their game when needed. So what happens when they don't need to elevate their game (vrs Jax)? They play like crap.

Since you are probably going to say this isn't "playing down to the competition" I'll just let it drop.

Instead I'll use your exact words and ask, what happens if they can't elevate their game against Den? In previous years I don't believe they had a very poor game and then magically elevated their game when needed. They were good the whole way through the playoffs. This year they are not, but people are convinced that because they are the Pats last week's showing doesn't matter. It matters much more than what happened in the last 4 years in the playoffs.
Why can't Denver elevate their game too? Isn't it possible that even if NE "elevates" their game, they still can lose? Why does it always have to be about NE?

I really believe this game comes down to turnovers - NE rarely makes them, and makes them even less in the playoffs. But, if Jake Plummer protects the ball as well as he has protected the ball the last 16 games, NE will have a REALLY hard time getting enough momentum going in their pure base offense to outscore the Broncos.The Pats NEED to have the "big plays" go their way, or else they can not win the game - the Pats offense is simply not good enough to move on the Broncos' defense in Mile High. if this game were in Foxboro, I'd give it to the Pats - but it's not, it is in Denver. without turnovers or a big ST play helping them along, the Pats have very little chance of beating the Broncs.

I think Denver will win...because they will run the ball enough for Plummer to find Smith and burn the secondary.However...if NE wins...it will be because they have forced Plummer back into his old INT machine ways...if the Pats front can stuff the run and put pressure on Plummer...that is how they will win.

After all of this, I haven't made my predictions on the game yet. Everyone has posed some good arguements - some I agree with, some I don't. Of course, I can make up my own mind, so here goes:

The true strength of the Denver D is the passing D - NOT the rushing D. The season numbers are decieving - Denver has by far the fewest rushes against them in the league, which would account for the low rushing yards allowed. They have allowed 4.0 ypc - 16th in the league. The low totals are a function of taking an early lead, and with their pwerful rushing O, sitting on the clock. Opposing teams were forced to pass early alot, and giving up on the rush altogether. NE is 4th in the NFL in allowed ypc, by the way.

The passing D, on the other hand, is much better. Denver has had by far the most passing attempts against them in the NFL. On a yards per attempt basis, they are 6th in the NFL, behind Chicago, Baltimore, Washington, Pittsburgh, and Carolina. NE is 29th in yards per attempt. NE hasn't seen a pass D like this since week 3, and we all know that we can't look at any NE's performances prior to week 8.

So, I say Denver wins becaue of:

1. Home field advantage.

2. Denvers pass D > NE pass O.
Some great stuff in here that's being overlooked in general.I completely agree that the strength of Denver's defense is the passing game. I was checking out the FootballOutsiders.com stats on this (SSOG can tell you all about them) ... they have Denver #4 against the pass on a per-play basis. Total passing yards allowed isn't the greatest indicator in this case since Denver's seen more passing attempts than anyone in the league.

Overall ranks from FootballOutsiders.com, based on a per-play basis (take with a grain of salt since Pats are just now getting healthy):

Offense:

Denver #4 overall, #5 pass, #1 run

New England #8 overall, #2 pass, #19 run (I think these numbers are probably fair game)

Defense:

Denver #6 overall, #4 against pass, #17 against run

New England #27 overall, #29 against pass, #13 against run (I definitely feel the Pats are better than this)

Based on this, the biggest mismatch on paper would actually (and very surprisingly) appear to be Denver's passing game. It's the only matchup that's not clearly strength vs. strength or weakness vs. weakness.

So everyone is pretty much right about this game. Plummer will make plays in this game. Whichever team he makes plays for (Denver or New England) will win the game.

This game can't get here fast enough.Surf, your point about Plummer is where I feel the game will be decided. Should Plummer play well and not turn the ball over, Denver will be in great shape. And if he plays well, I'll be the first to admit it.

This game can't get here fast enough.

Surf, your point about Plummer is where I feel the game will be decided. Should Plummer play well and not turn the ball over, Denver will be in great shape. And if he plays well, I'll be the first to admit it.
Agreed, I think we're all so pumped right now. I haven't been this excited about a playoff game since the Broncos-Packers Super Bowl.

I haven't been this excited about a playoff game since the Broncos-Packers Super Bowl.
Took the words right out of my mouth.
I am definately on board with these sentiments. I almost wish Denver loses because I don't think I can take another week of anticipation.I do think it is fair to say that the game will boil down to Plummer and your thoughts on this game are based on your prediction of him (generally speaking). If you think about Plummer circa 2005, Denver has an excellent chance. Plummer circa 2004, not so much.

I haven't been this excited about a playoff game since the Broncos-Packers Super Bowl.
I am definately on board with these sentiments. I almost wish Denver loses because I don't think I can take another week of anticipation.
:eek: Denver fan? really? ;)

Kid - you are 100 percent deadon, IMO - as I stated earlier, I donlt think ther Pats wil turn the ball over much, they are too focused in the playoffs. if Jake keeps the ball in the offense's hands w/o INTs, the Broncos will be in excellent shape throughout the game.

But - do NOT overlook the play of the special teams -these are two of th ebest ST units in the game - one big play on ST one way or the other could also swing the game.

I am definately on board with these sentiments. I almost wish Denver loses because I don't think I can take another week of anticipation.

Kid - you are 100 percent deadon, IMO - as I stated earlier, I donlt think ther Pats wil turn the ball over much, they are too focused in the playoffs. if Jake keeps the ball in the offense's hands w/o INTs, the Broncos will be in excellent shape throughout the game.

But - do NOT overlook the play of the special teams -these are two of th ebest ST units in the game - one big play on ST one way or the other could also swing the game.
Marc - I'm thinking there will be several Patriot turnovers. If they try to go to the spread I don't know how Brady will get the calls off to his line, rb's and receivers if the Denver crowd is as loud as I think it will be. I see a hit on the arm from a missed blitz pickup and a fumble and perhaps a route miscommunication turning into an interception - and maybe more than one of these. They will be blitzing from all angles - if Lynch hits Brady hard on a few plays that will help as well. I see false starts and some delay of game calls and lots of long yardage situations.I also agree with you on special teams, the Patriots have an advantage as I still think Elam is not 100%. Vinitiari is THE clutch kicker.

It has been a long (way to long) time since there has been a home playoff game in Denver, the fans better be ready. I expect bedlam in the stands, lots of foot stomping-good old fashion Rocky Mountain Mile High Thunder, Mile High should be rocking! Bowlen could have built it on concrete but he wanted the metal just like the old place for this reason - it is time to take advantage.

Everyone is expecting Brady to play like he has in the regular season and taking into account his prowess at reading Defenses - but he has to get the info to the players and this will be a long way from the crowds he gets at home.

here's the worst excuse I have ever heard - form the front page of todays boston globe:

But maybe there's one worry the coach and quarterback Tom Brady should have about playing in Denver, said Dr. Mark Pearlmutter, chief of emergency medicine at Caritas St. Elizabeth's Medical Center in Brighton.Because the air is thinner, there's less resistance, so the football could travel farther with the same amount of arm thrust than it would in Foxborough.''So rather than health concerns," Pearlmutter said, ''it's probably more of a concern of Tom Brady tossing long."
so...Den will win becase Brady will overthrow everybody? :sarcasm:

Because the air is thinner, there's less resistance, so the football could travel farther with the same amount of arm thrust than it would in Foxborough.
LO(mf'in)LYeah - that's why teams have problems throwing against Denver's defense this year - the past few years of shoiddy pass defense at home all occurred on abberant days when the air was artificially "thickened."Ah, the playoffs - when we examine the minutae so that we can suggest the ridiculous.Oh, and the first meeting in this "thin air?" Brady completed 24 of 46, for 299, and a TD. That is 6.5 YPA against a team that gave up 5.9 all year long.

I also agree with you on special teams, the Patriots have an advantage as I still think Elam is not 100%. Vinitiari is THE clutch kicker.
Ah, but the last time these two teams met, Sauerbrun wound up winning the AFC's special-teams player of the week award.

I cant believe Im actually DEFENDING New England's ability to elevate their game. Not getting it? Funny. Look....I havent said a word about New England playing down to their competion or up to their competition, or whether they elevate their level from game to game or play to play or day to day or year to year. Ive simply said they elevate their game when they need to . I dont need to explain beyond that or defend a team that has won 3 or the last 4 Superbowls AND beat a 16-1 team last year that looked unbeatable.....ON THE ROAD. Denver fans....thicken up the skin already. There's no disrespect being thrown around here, but if anyone thinks a 25 point WIN is a poor effort, then youve been completely spoiled and misled by NE's greatness. Theyve won their 3 Superbowls by a grand total of NINE points, so theyre not typically blowing teams out. They barely snuck by Philly last year by 3....so was that a POOR effort? Like I said...NE simply doesnt care how any of us view whether they played ALLWORLDLY or PISSPOORLY, as long as they win. Im sure Denver's guys feel the same way. ExplainED. Good luck Denver fans....see ya on the other side....WIN OR LOSE.

The Patriots will win because the NFL is scripted, and more people would rather see the Colts take down the Patriots in the playoffs then the Broncos! :D I know a lot seem to think that the Win over the Jags was easy and should be discredited, but I thought one half of the Jags Team showed up...The Defense. I wish the Patriots had the secondary that the Jags showed in the first half. That is why the game score was so low initially. The Pats seemed rusty, then came alive in the second half.I think the Pats win because the Broncos will come out rusty (due to the bye week and all) and the Pats will score enough to keep the lead through the game and take the crowd out of it. This is not the first time the Patriots have had to go to a hostile field during the playoffs. :2cents:

Pats will will because much to the chagrin of the loud and raucous Den fans NE will maintain their composure early in the game and not give Den any cheap scores. NE's front seven will contain the Den running game & keep Plummer from bootlegging & scrambling around. On O NE will use lots of 4 & 5 rec sets and the short passing game to move the ball down the field taking several shots down the field as the game wears on.Broncos will win if NE can't maintain their composure early with the crowd noise and Den blitzing and if Anderson/Bell average 4+ yards a carry. :boxing: NE 27DEN 20

here's the worst excuse I have ever heard - form the front page of todays boston globe:

But maybe there's one worry the coach and quarterback Tom Brady

should have about playing in Denver, said Dr. Mark Pearlmutter, chief

of emergency medicine at Caritas St. Elizabeth's Medical Center in

Brighton.

Because the air is thinner, there's less resistance, so the football

could travel farther with the same amount of arm thrust than it would

in Foxborough.

''So rather than health concerns," Pearlmutter said, ''it's probably

more of a concern of Tom Brady tossing long."
This appears to have been closer than expected.

But maybe there's one worry the coach and quarterback Tom Brady

should have about playing in Denver, said Dr. Mark Pearlmutter, chief

of emergency medicine at Caritas St. Elizabeth's Medical Center in

Brighton.

Because the air is thinner, there's less resistance, so the football

could travel farther with the same amount of arm thrust than it would

in Foxborough.

''So rather than health concerns," Pearlmutter said, ''it's probably

more of a concern of Tom Brady tossing long."
This appears to have been closer than expected.
:D

To most outsiders (non Denver or NE fans like myself) it was fairly obvious that NE was not playing at a high level. Not only did they NOT elevate their game (as I suspected they wouldn't) they actually played WORSE. Guess what, winning on the road in the NFL playoffs against a rested team is not easy, even if you have a great coach and QB.

Also, I think NE got outcoached. Denver brought pressure all game long and the Pats couldnt' do anything about it. They were VERY successful with screens and short passes but didn't stick with them. They could have easily marched down the field this way but tried to force things down the field instead.The normally unflappable Brady was off his game right from the first snap when he was pumping his fist at Lynch. He had some good throws but missed many as well.

Also, I think NE got outcoached. Denver brought pressure all game long and the Pats couldnt' do anything about it. They were VERY successful with screens and short passes but didn't stick with them. They could have easily marched down the field this way but tried to force things down the field instead.

The normally unflappable Brady was off his game right from the first snap when he was pumping his fist at Lynch. He had some good throws but missed many as well.
C'mon now.Faulk and Brown's fumbles were the ultimate difference in the game.

Not that Brady's miscues weren't bad but those two plays have nothing to do with coaching or Tom Brady.

Be objective.

Also, I think NE got outcoached. Denver brought pressure all game long and the Pats couldnt' do anything about it. They were VERY successful with screens and short passes but didn't stick with them. They could have easily marched down the field this way but tried to force things down the field instead.

The normally unflappable Brady was off his game right from the first snap when he was pumping his fist at Lynch. He had some good throws but missed many as well.

Not that Brady's miscues weren't bad but those two plays have nothing to do with coaching or Tom Brady.

Be objective.
Agreed. Brady contributed nothing to their loss. Damn team around him didn't rise to the occasion.

Be objective.
Agreed. Brady contributed nothing to their loss. Damn team around him didn't rise to the occasion.
Never said that.But you said that Belichick got OUTCOACHED.

How are those two critical fumbles attributed to coaching?

Never said that.

But you said that Belichick got OUTCOACHED.

I think there were plenty of instances of Belichick getting outcoached. He didn't have his special teams prepared, his defense only managed to pick off Plummer once all night (generally not creating much pressure and not really confusing Jake), and his offense was unable to handle the blitz. They made some big plays against it, yes, but the blitz beat them far more than they beat the blitz (including Bailey's 100 yard pick return).That said, it's only one game. Even the best of coaches lose, and even the worst of coaches win.

Didn't get his special teams prepared for WHAT exactly?A punter jarring a fumble and Troy Brown muffing an easy punt?

Didn't get his special teams prepared for WHAT exactly?

A punter jarring a fumble and Troy Brown muffing an easy punt?
It wasn't an easy punt to field. Brown was lined up on the LOS, looking like they were playing for the block. Brown had to run 40-50 yards back and make the catch in coverage. I don't think this was a good call.

It wasn't an easy punt to field. Brown was lined up on the LOS, looking like they were playing for the block. Brown had to run 40-50 yards back and make the catch in coverage. I don't think this was a good call.
It went right through his hands.That's hardly a coaching mistake.

It went right through his hands.That's hardly a coaching mistake.
A better call would be to put him back there and field the punt like every other play...if you gamble and loose, with minimal upside and a huge downside...I'd say that was a coaching mistake.

Post-mortem time - Why did Denver win? Turnovers? Plummer? HFA? What say the sharks?
Yes.Getting more TOs and Jake not making costly mistakes against a Pats D that played pretty well.

But, in all, I'd say Al Wilson was more influential than Jake Plummer in this game, though Jake did his job well enough to win the game.

Also, I think NE got outcoached.  Denver brought pressure all game long and the Pats couldnt' do anything about it.  They were VERY successful with screens and short passes but didn't stick with them.  They could have easily marched down the field this way but tried to force things down the field instead.

The normally unflappable Brady was off his game right from the first snap when he was pumping his fist at Lynch.  He had some good throws but missed many as well.

Be objective.
Never said that.But you said that Belichick got OUTCOACHED.

Gotta disagree - Shanahan's first half coaching was not very good, IMO.What did NOT happen is Belichek didn't pull a rabbit out of his hat with his halftime adjustments (something that he almost always excels at).

Turn Overs, plain and simple. 24 out of 27 pts came off of the Patriots turning the ball over. The Broncos did well in turning those Turn Overs into points...Good luck in the AFC Championship game.

Users who are viewing this thread