What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Holiday Film You Are Most Looking Forward To? (1 Viewer)

Holiday Film You Are Most Looking Forward To? (wonka/poorthings/Napoleon)

• Poor Things

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Napoleon

Votes: 25 51.0%
  • Wonka

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Other

Votes: 14 28.6%

• Total voters
I voted other as i don't look forward to any new movie. But hitting up the usual flicks is always a wonderful tradition.

1. Napoleon
  2. Saltburn
  3. The Zone of Interest
  4. Priscilla
  5. Maestro
  6. Ferrari
  7. American Fiction
  8. The Holdovers
  9. May December
  10. Wonka

I guess I’m the lone “Poor Things” so far. Loved “The Favourite,” and Yorgos Lanthimos and Emma Stone back together.
Ooo, didn’t realized he’s the director. I’ve liked pretty much everything he’s done so far, so I’ll definitely check it out. Rewatching Dogtooth seems lIke a festive thing to do, too.

🤓
I’m excited for the 4.5 hour directors cut of Napoleon on Apple +

As a warmup, here's Abel Gance's 1927 version of Napoleon which clocks in at 5 hours and 32 minutes. It's one of the masterpieces of silent film. I've never seen it but I'm semi-considering it now.

Francis Ford Coppola did a 3 hour 43 cut in the 80s but I can't find that.

Napoleon only in the 60s on Rotten Tomatoes.

Might be a bust.
I’m not really worried about that. It’s probably not going to be the best movie of the year or anything but I like historical epics and big battle scenes. I’m sure there are a lot of critics who aren’t looking for that. I’ll be there opening night at the super imax screen.

I’m not really worried about that. It’s probably not going to be the best movie of the year or anything but I like historical epics and big battle scenes. I’m sure there are a lot of critics who aren’t looking for that. I’ll be there opening night at the super imax screen.

I don't disagree...I'm a sucker for that genre as well.

I posted this in the movie thread but will add here

I loved Napoleon- it’s more Barry Lyndon than Gladiator as it’s very much a quirky comedy at times. Visually it’s the best I’ve seen all year. Loved the look and sound. The battle scenes live up to the hype- epic scale. It was for sure enhanced by the super emax 95 foot screen. My one criticism is I don’t think it really has anything to say.

Visually it’s the best I’ve seen all year
I love the look of all the Scott brother's movies. They always look great. I know there are movie fans that trash them, but I usually always enjoy their stuff.
Yep, the costumes, sets, etc. are first rate. Very reminiscent of Barry Lyndon- Scott clearly studied that. There is a lot of CGI I assume but it's done very well and blends right into the wonderful locations this was filmed on. It's a textbook of example of how CGI and practical can be used together. This movie cost $200 million and you can see every dollar on the screen. The criticism is one Scott gets a lot- there's not really message or point. It's sex, action, plotting but I don't feel we ever really get to know the inner workings of any character and in the end it just feels like you saw the story of Napoleon. Maybe it's a shot at the great men theory, I kind of got that and see it's application to today. I enjoyed it though and people who wait for it to stream at home might as well be seeing a different movie IMO. This is big screen or bust.

I loved Napoleon- it’s more Barry Lyndon than Gladiator as it’s very much a quirky comedy at times. Visually it’s the best I’ve seen all year. Loved the look and sound. The battle scenes live up to the hype- epic scale. It was for sure enhanced by the super emax 95 foot screen. My one criticism is I don’t think it really has anything to say.
So it’s worth it to see it in IMAX vs. regular screen?

Barry Lyndon Is one of my favorite films visually.

Oh yeah definitely worth the big screen IMO. I hadn't even realized there was the super emax 95 foot screen 20 mins from my house. First time I saw a movie there, it was nuts. Perfect movie to see on the biggest screen possible IMO, the scale of the movie is massive and even the interior scenes look gigantic. I don't know if it was lit by candle for many scenes like Lyndon was but it often looked like it.

Oh yeah definitely worth the big screen IMO. I hadn't even realized there was the super emax 95 foot screen 20 mins from my house. First time I saw a movie there, it was nuts. Perfect movie to see on the biggest screen possible IMO, the scale of the movie is massive and even the interior scenes look gigantic. I don't know if it was lit by candle for many scenes like Lyndon was but it often looked like it.
By the sounds of it regarding the visuals, I’m assuming this is a version ( somewhat of a tribute so to speak) of the Napoleon epic that Kubrick had planned to do.

Users who are viewing this thread