What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[New Rule] - Quarterback Protection (1 Viewer)

BlueOnion

Footballguy
This process of continually implementing new rules to protect the quarterback disgust me.

The problem is, the league continues to pass new rules to 'open up the passing game'. The result is, more teams are trying to pass more frequently and send more guys downfield as eligible receivers. This implicitely increases the bulls-eye on the back of the quarterback's jersey.

I have a plethora of other ridiculous (however less ridiculous then those being voted in) that would not only do a better job of protecting the quarterback but also not compromise the integrity of the game:

1) An offense is only entitled to take one sack per drive. So if your quarterback is sacked during a drive, the offense is not aloud to call another pass play for the rest of the drive.

OR

2) Put a total cap on the number of pass plays a team can call in one game. Something around 20ish would be ideal, this would force defenses to put less of a precident on sacking the quarterback.

:rant: :rant: :rant:

If the problem is quarterbacks are getting hurt, then try to limit those who put the quarterbacks in compromising positions.

I hear ya. Why don't they just eliminate rushing the passer entirely and have the DL count 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, up to 5 mississippi and if Qb hasn't thrown the ball by then he gets a sack?

They should also consider changing the rules so the center can line up facing the Qb. That way he can hand the ball gently to the QB. No use taking a chance of the QB hurting his finger or possibly getting a whiff of a noxious fart from the center's rear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the years it seems that athletes in the NFL have built up their ability to dish out punishment, though greater size, training, supplements, etc. But they haven't built up their ability to absorb punishment. The growing disparity between the ability to dish it out and the ability to absorb it is what leads to rules like this.

Over the years it seems that athletes in the NFL have built up their ability to dish out punishment, though greater size, training, supplements, etc. But they haven't built up their ability to absorb punishment. The growing disparity between the ability to dish it out and the ability to absorb it is what leads to rules like this.
I like that. :yes: Besides being the most valuable player on the field, thanks to the actual functions of the job the QB is also the most vulnerable player on the field. ( make your argument on the 2nd point for kickers elsewhere please. ;) )

Unless you love the prospects of watching perennial backups holding the reigns of NFL offenses in their little backup hands, a certain amount of protection needs to be afforded these guys.

By the way, yes your suggestions were indeed ridiculous... :P

...but you already knew that.

I hear ya. Why don't they just eliminate rushing the passer entirely and have the DL count 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, up to 5 mississippi
see now that I'd actually like for a play or two. that'd be too funny :D

Could somebody breakdown what a defensive lineman can and cannot do?

1) If contact is to be initiated, the quarterback must have possession of the ball while defender is within 3-steps.

2) Cannot hit the quarterback below the hem line of his skirt with 'driving force'. (1 and 2 seem to conflict one another)

3) Cannot touch the quarterback in the head.

4) Cannot drive the quarterback into the ground.

As if just tackling Michael Vick is not challenging enough.

I am all for protecting the quarterback, but I think the burden of responsibility falls on the offensive coordinator, not the defensive players.

Users who are viewing this thread