What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (1 Viewer)

Whole lotta of "Get off my lawn" happening in this thread
Lotta grinches up this way. When Hipsters get Old and Crotchety.
Yeah, that's exactly what is going on.How many guys live in Manhattan besides El Floppo and MajorAlternateReality? None? Just curious.

I just think your weltanschauung is just a tad different when it's your home instead of your weekend playground or your morning destination.

I love that NYC is constantly evolving and neighborhoods are ever changing. I'm all for the constant influx of new residents a fresh perspective. But another drunken orgy adds nothing to the quality of life around here.

Gonna be in New York City. Anything I should check out?Streamed a cool doc on Netflix last night called Brooklyn Boheme on the artist community in Ft. Greene/Clinton Hill through the '80s. Pretty cool, with some great interview footage with Spike Lee (yes he's a db, but he's great in this, as he was at the center of it), Chris Rock, Talib Kweli, Branford Marsalis, Vernon Reid, and some others. I used to live just on the other side of Atlantic from, so I'm well-acquainted with the neighborhood and knew of some of that history. It's a fun watch, especially if you know the neighborhood.
Gotta check that out. I went to Brooklyn Tech in Fort Greene from '78-'84. It's amazing how well it's come around since then.
Pretty much due to Spike. Although, there are those in the doc, including him, who disagree with the "come around" sentiment.
Oh, I'm sure about that but when I went there half the block across the street was burned out, boarded up houses. Many people I knew got robbed at some point and we generally didn't go too far alone. Far different from today so if it's too gentrified for them...oh well.

Yeah, that's exactly what is going on.How many guys live in Manhattan besides El Floppo and MajorAlternateReality? None? Just curious.

I just think your weltanschauung is just a tad different when it's your home instead of your weekend playground or your morning destination.

I love that NYC is constantly evolving and neighborhoods are ever changing. I'm all for the constant influx of new residents a fresh perspective. But another drunken orgy adds nothing to the quality of life around here.
How many drunken orgies in nyc are there every year, 3?NYE, St Patty's, SantaCon

How many drunken orgies in nyc are there every year, 3?NYE, St Patty's, SantaCon
Halloween

Halloween
The Village Parade is ####### awesome.

Halloween
Cinco de MayoPride Week

Fourth of July

Wednesday before Thanksgiving

Every Thursday in Murray Hill

Halloween
Cinco de MayoPride Week

Fourth of July

C'mon none of those are on the scale of what we are talking about here, it happens once a quarter, let them have their fun. If you hate the city that much (i.e. every Thursday comment) maybe you should move out?

Halloween
Cinco de MayoPride Week

Fourth of July

C'mon none of those are on the scale of what we are talking about here, it happens once a quarter, let them have their fun. If you hate the city that much (i.e. every Thursday comment) maybe you should move out?
:lmao: Yeah, OK guy. I love my city and I've been very fortunate over the last decade and a half. We have another home 95 miles east and are lucky enough to both enjoy the city or escape as needed. But Manhattan is the kind of place you have to mock and deride if you have any sensibility.

Because 20-something guys need another excuse to roam around in packs drunk yelling "WOOO" and 20-something girls need another excuse to dress like sluts, I give you this year's jump-the-shark version of SantaCon.
Never understood this....take the worst of St Pattys, NYE, throw in some Xmas cheer and you have Santacon #fail
:shrug:20 something people like to go out and drink and have fun...seems pretty harmless...
What I saw were groups of nicely inebriated folks who were having a blast, in great spirits and looking to cause no trouble. It might have been silly, but fun as #### and infectiously fun, silly. I'll take that any day.
Seemed like a good thing a few years ago. Now, with the event going viral you get overwhelmed with amateurs who can't handle their drink. Same reason I hate St. Patty's :shrug:

Because 20-something guys need another excuse to roam around in packs drunk yelling "WOOO" and 20-something girls need another excuse to dress like sluts, I give you this year's jump-the-shark version of SantaCon.
Never understood this....take the worst of St Pattys, NYE, throw in some Xmas cheer and you have Santacon #fail
:shrug:20 something people like to go out and drink and have fun...seems pretty harmless...
What I saw were groups of nicely inebriated folks who were having a blast, in great spirits and looking to cause no trouble. It might have been silly, but fun as #### and infectiously fun, silly. I'll take that any day.
Seemed like a good thing a few years ago. Now, with the event going viral you get overwhelmed with amateurs who can't handle their drink. Same reason I hate St. Patty's :shrug:
I guess I embrace it, but I usually spend only one or two nights / weekends in the City a month, so it's not like I'm forced to be around it. That said, not like you have to hand out by 53rd and 2nd on those days either.

Gonna be in New York City. Anything I should check out?Streamed a cool doc on Netflix last night called Brooklyn Boheme on the artist community in Ft. Greene/Clinton Hill through the '80s. Pretty cool, with some great interview footage with Spike Lee (yes he's a db, but he's great in this, as he was at the center of it), Chris Rock, Talib Kweli, Branford Marsalis, Vernon Reid, and some others. I used to live just on the other side of Atlantic from, so I'm well-acquainted with the neighborhood and knew of some of that history. It's a fun watch, especially if you know the neighborhood.
Brooklyn has really :evolved: the past 5-10 years. Amazing to go to DUMBO and feel like I'm in Tribeca. It seems like everyone I know is opening up a bar or restaurant in BK. Such a massive borough though so you can still get mugged and avoid hipsters if you hit East New York and a few other spots.

Brooklyn has really :evolved: the past 5-10 years. Amazing to go to DUMBO and feel like I'm in Tribeca. It seems like everyone I know is opening up a bar or restaurant in BK. Such a massive borough though so you can still get mugged and avoid hipsters if you hit East New York and a few other spots.
When I moved here in 1999 we were doing a ton of work for Two Trees, running miles of fiber optic cable through all those warehouses they were converting to lofts. David Walentas - who had a small stake in our startup - offered me insider pricing: $375K for a 1 bedroom, $700K for a 2. I spent a couple weekends walking DUMBO and said NFW. No services, no dry cleaners, no grocery - no thanks. Instead I bought a dirt cheap brownstone garden apt, trading it in a few years later to move up to Emory Roth prewar co-op. Traded up again this month, again paying premium Manhattan RE prices.Oh, those One Main units I walked away from? Today they go for $1.5-1.75M and $2.5-3M.[Gump]I am not a very smart man [/gump]

Addendum - Today "no services" DUMBO is littered with new restaurants, fantastic retail, waterfront parks, galleries, etc. And because Walentas controlled the bulk inventory, RE prices soared past every NYC neighborhood and are comparable with the West Village and UES on a psf basis. I'm a #######.

So it looks like sights gentlemen's club is the closest to me (2 miles) but I'd rather hit something in the city. Scores will be a stop in while touring (free entrance) but prefer more of a dive strip club. Advice?

So it looks like sights gentlemen's club is the closest to me (2 miles) but I'd rather hit something in the city. Scores will be a stop in while touring (free entrance) but prefer more of a dive strip club. Advice?
Gentlemen's CLubs in NYC tend to be meh IMO, but NY Dolls (downtown) and Flashdancers (midtown) are both decent

'Koya said:
'Major said:
:shrug: 20 something people like to go out and drink and have fun...seems pretty harmless...
I guess I embrace it, but I usually spend only one or two nights / weekends in the City a month, so it's not like I'm forced to be around it. That said, not like you have to hand out by 53rd and 2nd on those days either.
Ok- so when I first noticed this thing, it was 2007 and I was with my 6mo old son at Tompkins Square Park playground. Do you guys remember the scene in The Birds at the playground? I'm pushing him on the swing, look up, and there's 4 or 5 Santas milling around at the St Mark's entrance to the park on A. A little more swinging, and there's around 50. Next time I look up, there are hundreds of them. I loved it- even took some pictures and milled around with them for a bit hoping my kid would notice something (too stupid... I mean young). These peeps were having a blast and aside from one or two of them later in the day and night- I never saw them again until the next year.Flash forward a few years and it can't be avoided day or night. Is that terrible? :shrug: Not terrible. Annoying as ####, but not terrible. They start around noon, roam around in large groups drinking, blocking sidewalks and overall being more caught up in the "look at me, I'm wearing a red cap" than in respecting the city and everybody else in it. And then they keep going- all night. Same drunken groups, now puking and acting belligerent. Listen- I live in the party-central LES/EVil. I've got people every night of the week all night partying literally right in front of my building. Sometimes it's annoying, but wtf- I live where I live and I accept it. So if partying Santacon yabos are too much for me given that, they're just too much.

And in terms of parties like this- yeah, the ones listed above, but also every Caribbean country (along with a lot of other countries) have a national day that get's massively celebrated (Puero Rican and Dominican days are the loudest) to the point where we consider timing our vacations around them. Add San Genarro and just general NYC becoming a super-safe playground for idiots, and my tolerance for this kind of thing goes down.

'BobbyLayne said:
'Major said:
When I moved here in 1999 we were doing a ton of work for Two Trees, running miles of fiber optic cable through all those warehouses they were converting to lofts. David Walentas - who had a small stake in our startup - offered me insider pricing: $375K for a 1 bedroom, $700K for a 2. I spent a couple weekends walking DUMBO and said NFW. No services, no dry cleaners, no grocery - no thanks. Instead I bought a dirt cheap brownstone garden apt, trading it in a few years later to move up to Emory Roth prewar co-op. Traded up again this month, again paying premium Manhattan RE prices.Oh, those One Main units I walked away from? Today they go for $1.5-1.75M and $2.5-3M.[Gump]I am not a very smart man [/gump]
I'm sure we're not alone in our "one's that got away" stories (that damn loft on Essex st that doubled in price within a year) :doh:

'BobbyLayne said:
'Major said:
I'm sure we're not alone in our "one's that got away" stories (that damn loft on Essex st that doubled in price within a year) :doh:
The one that got away was a hot little nympho from Englewood Cliffs I dated after my divorce. Man, what a great piece of ###...

Omg the food here is insane!!! Spirito's in Elizabeth, NJ was to die for and Denilo's pizza in Staten Island omg. FML I'm ruined for life from this food and none of my clothes fit anymore

So if we take the SI Ferry, what kind of time are we talking here? And what should we do once we get to Staten Island?

We would like to do the back and forth and hanging on SI in half a day or so. Is that reasonable?

So if we take the SI Ferry, what kind of time are we talking here? And what should we do once we get to Staten Island?We would like to do the back and forth and hanging on SI in half a day or so. Is that reasonable?
Nothing against SI, but you know you dont have to hang out there, right?

So if we take the SI Ferry, what kind of time are we talking here? And what should we do once we get to Staten Island?We would like to do the back and forth and hanging on SI in half a day or so. Is that reasonable?
Yeah, I got to know S.I. Very skippable, there is nothing but a seedy neighborhood and minor league ballpark near the ferry landing. It would [be a] major pain trying to use their public transit, which is mostly buses. The above grade subway cuts through the middle of the island and is not near anything I could recommend (gardens, Richmondtown historic village). South Beach is an OK day trip in the summer but it's a still a disaster area post-Sandy.Absolutely do not waste a half day there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I got to know S.I. Very skippable, there is nothing but a seedy neighborhood and minor league ballpark near the ferry landing. It would [be a] major pain trying to use their public transit, which is mostly buses. The above grade subway cuts through the middle of the island and is not near anything I could recommend (gardens, Richmondtown historic village). South Beach is an OK day trip in the summer but it's a still a disaster area post-Sandy.Absolutely do not waste a half day there.
OK. So if our plan is to see the Statue of Liberty by hopping on the ferry, should we just turn around and head back?How long is the Ferry ride? Do I need advance tickets?

OK. So if our plan is to see the Statue of Liberty by hopping on the ferry, should we just turn around and head back?How long is the Ferry ride? Do I need advance tickets?
Never mind. I just looked it up. Looks like about a 30 minute ride.

Yep. It's free, generally every half hour except late night, holidays and certain periods on the weekend - during those times it is once an hour. Also, the S.I. Ferry has about four different navigation routes - obvs point A and point B never change, but it doesn't always get close to Liberty Island. On the S.I. side, you may have to disembark - just loop around the inside of the ferry terminal and get back in the queue.

Yep. It's free, generally every half hour except late night, holidays and certain periods on the weekend - during those times it is once an hour. Also, the S.I. Ferry has about four different navigation routes - obvs point A and point B never change, but it doesn't always get close to Liberty Island. On the S.I. side, you may have to disembark - just loop around the inside of the ferry terminal and get back in the queue.
How do I know if it is going to get close to the Statue?

How do I know if it is going to get close to the Statue?
You don't.

We've got a good deal planned so far. I've tried to keep each day in the same general area, based upon feedback here. I think I've done that. Let me know what you guys think.

Day 1 - Thursday.

1. Arrive in NY at 4:30 PM.

2. Figure about 3 hours to get to hotel and check in (We are staying at about 31st St. and Madison)

3. Leave hotel around 7:30 PM

4. Walk to Rockefeller Center and check out Christmas Tree

5. Walk to Time's Square

6. Eat some NY pizza for dinner

7. Head back to hotel

Day 2 - Friday

1. Walk to Empire State building

2. Check out Grand Central Station

3. Hit Carnegie Deli for lunch

4. Check out FAO Schwartz Toy Store

5. Walk by Trump Tower (is the one on 5th Ave. the one on The Apprentice? My daughter is into the show and wants to see the building).

6. Hit Central Park - maybe a carriage ride

7. Dinner somewhere in that general area - Suggestions?

8. See Broadway show at 8:00 PM (We got seats to Wicked)

Day 3 - Saturday

1. This day is a little weird because part of it will be work for me. My company does work with the fire department (I've been to NY about five times, but my family never has). So the fire department guys are going to pick up the whole family at 10 AM at the hotel.

2. They will drop my wife and kids in SOHO at 11 AM or so

3. I will head out with the fire department to the Brooklyn Battery tunnel to see the install of the Kutta radio system in the tunnel (probably about 2 hours total)

4. I will meet the fam at the 9-11 memorial (around 2 PM)

5. Head over to SI Ferry (maybe 5 PM or so)

6. Dinner at Delmonico's

7. Back to hotel

Day 4 - Sunday

1. We don't really have much planned this day. We want to take the subway somewhere - but I want it to be close, easy, and safe (I'm pretty paranoid). Any suggestions?

2. We will probably do a food cart lunch somewhere

3. Shopping

4. My daughter wants to eat at a Vegan restaurant, so we may do that this day.

Day 5 - Monday

1. Maybe hit a museum

2. Figure out our New Year's Eve plans (still not sure yet)

Day 6 - Tuesday

Head on back home to Phoenix

You can see we are pretty filled up early and open late. We thought that would be a good way to do it because we might think of things we want to do once we are there. Any ideas to fill in the empty space on Sunday and Monday?

Also, do you guys think the first couple days are too crammed with stuff, or not enough?

Thanks for all the help so far. I love this place.

We've got a good deal planned so far. I've tried to keep each day in the same general area, based upon feedback here. I think I've done that. Let me know what you guys think.Day 1 - Thursday.1. Arrive in NY at 4:30 PM. 2. Figure about 3 hours to get to hotel and check in (We are staying at about 31st St. and Madison)3. Leave hotel around 7:30 PM4. Walk to Rockefeller Center and check out Christmas Tree5. Walk to Time's Square 6. Eat some NY pizza for dinner7. Head back to hotel
I'm going to split up my responses since I'm on a BB.I missed which airport you're coming from but with any luck you'll have your luggage and in a car within 20-30 minutes. Does the hotel have an aiport shuttle? If not I'd recommend calling Carmel (666-666-6666) and getting a car service. Can probably reserve online. Cab might be $45, car service $65-75. I use Executive but my admin does the reservations so not sure the #. Anyway, basically 35-45 minutes from any airport to where you are staying.It's cold all next week so I'd say walk over to Herald Square (6th Ave) first - optional stop at Macy's. Take the F train (6th Ave line - the orange B/D/F) one stop to Bryant Park. They also have a skating rink and tree, lined with seasonal pop up shops and eateries. Spend a little time there, then walk over to Fifth and head up to Rock Ctr.No idea what to recommend for NY Pizza around Times Square.

We've got a good deal planned so far. I've tried to keep each day in the same general area, based upon feedback here. I think I've done that. Let me know what you guys think.

Day 1 - Thursday.

1. Arrive in NY at 4:30 PM.

2. Figure about 3 hours to get to hotel and check in (We are staying at about 31st St. and Madison)

3. Leave hotel around 7:30 PM

4. Walk to Rockefeller Center and check out Christmas Tree Definitely walk into St Patrick Cathedral, either this night or the next day.

5. Walk to Time's Square

6. Eat some NY pizza for dinner

7. Head back to hotel

Day 2 - Friday

1. Walk to Empire State building Are you going up? If not, you'll be seeing this all time since your hotel is so close. If yes, I prefer top of the Rock- never been at night though- or even know if it's open at night (just thinking out loud that you do this Thurs night- especially with the time difference, you guys will be up late)

2. Check out Grand Central Station It's cool- but it's pretty much a walk in, see the main space and you're done kind of thing unless you go to the Oyster Bar. Won't take you long at all, so your morning might have some room in it.

3. Hit Carnegie Deli for lunch I'm another one who prefers Katz's, but nothing wrong with Carnegie- other than the imminent heart attack.

4. Check out FAO Schwartz Toy Store Apple store is right there too, if you don't have that where you live. Central Park should be on the heels of this since the store is right on the park and right next to where you get the carriage rides.

5. Walk by Trump Tower (is the one on 5th Ave. the one on The Apprentice? My daughter is into the show and wants to see the building).

6. Hit Central Park - maybe a carriage ride

7. Dinner somewhere in that general area - Suggestions? Lots of amazing food nearby- but very pricey... at least the ones I'm thinking about. How much do you want to spend? My best buddy from college has a $$ power-broker spot called Lever House somewhat nearby.

8. See Broadway show at 8:00 PM (We got seats to Wicked) Nice work on the tickets :thumbup:

Day 3 - Saturday

1. This day is a little weird because part of it will be work for me. My company does work with fire people (I've been to NY about five times, but my family never has). So the firey guys are going to pick up the whole family at 10 AM at the hotel.

2. They will drop my wife and kids in SOHO at 11 AM or so tell them to remind themselves to look up at all the historic cast iron buildings from the mid 19th c. this goes for most of NYC- easy to just tunnel vision on the street level and stores and miss out on all the amazing buildings.

3. I will head out with fire fire fire to the Brooklyn Battery tunnel to see the install of the Kutta radio system in the tunnel (probably about 2 hours total) Can you expand on this? I remember there were issues about their radio system... during 9/11?

4. I will meet the fam at the 9-11 memorial (around 2 PM)

5. Head over to SI Ferry (maybe 5 PM or so) Or you could ditch the ferry altogether and just walk to the river from the Memorial and look at the SoL from there (granted, it's a bit far away). Check out South Street Seaport area, Brooklyn Bridge and Wall St instead. And/or Chinatown.

6. Dinner at Delmonico's

7. Back to hotel

Day 4 - Sunday

1. We don't really have much planned this day. We want to take the subway somewhere - but I want it to be close, easy, and safe (I'm pretty paranoid). Any suggestions? Paranoid about what? Once you're on the subway- unless you're heading to Brownsville or the South Bronx- it's not going to matter whether it's close or far. Pick a spot you want to see and go there. Good day for a museum upper east, or a trip to Brooklyn.

2. We will probably do a food cart lunch somewhere

3. Shopping

4. My daughter wants to eat at a Vegan restaurant, so we may do that this day. Some good ones in my hood (East Village), I'm told. I've been to Angelica's and it's surprisingly tasty... but I'm not sure if it's full vegan or just veggie.

Day 5 - Monday

1. Maybe hit a museum IMO, if you see one museum in NYC it should be the Met (even though it's not my own favorite). Soooo many masterpieces of every medium and era, it's a can't miss. Also has a "suggested" donation ticket price, which means you can pay whatever you want and trust me, the ticket takers don't care and won't judge. When I was in college I used to pay with whatever change I had in my pocket. Oh! but too bad for you, the MET is closed on Mondays.

2. Figure out our New Year's Eve plans (still not sure yet) Stay in hotel and watch **** Clar... oh, right.

Day 6 - Tuesday

Head on back home to Phoenix

You can see we are pretty filled up early and open late. We thought that would be a good way to do it because we might think of things we want to do once we are there. Any ideas to fill in the empty space on Sunday and Monday?

Also, do you guys think the first couple days are too crammed with stuff, or not enough?

Thanks for all the help so far. I love this place.

Day 2 - Friday1. Walk to Empire State building2. Check out Grand Central Station3. Hit Carnegie Deli for lunch4. Check out FAO Schwartz Toy Store5. Walk by Trump Tower (is the one on 5th Ave. the one on The Apprentice? My daughter is into the show and wants to see the building).6. Hit Central Park - maybe a carriage ride7. Dinner somewhere in that general area - Suggestions?8. See Broadway show at 8:00 PM (We got seats to Wicked)
This all looks great, solid plan. I would recommend getting a prixe fixe at a restaurant near the Gershwin Theatre. Brasserie 8 1/2 is visually stunning and food is top shelf so I think that would make for a great NYC experience, but you have a ton of good options nearby.

Another suggestion, if you don't already have it, the Yelp app is great...Can filter for anything (restaurants by genre/stores/pharmacies) by your current location...I use it in the city all the time...Reviews have usually been pretty spot on, I;ve found

OK, looks like GB Flop has you covered.

My only other suggestion is for your light day (Sunday). Go to the Lower East Side Tenement Museum. It is amazing, and it's so different from the typical touristry stuff most families do in Manhattan. It will deepen your appreciation for the immigrant experience, and you'll be grateful to have given your kids something authentic to go along with the vapid pleasure seeking. ;)

Oh, and safety.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Honestly, this place is ####### Disneyland compared to pre-Rudy G.

My only other suggestion is for your light day (Sunday). Go to the Lower East Side Tenement Museum. It is amazing, and it's so different from the typical touristry stuff most families do in Manhattan. It will deepen your appreciation for the immigrant experience, and you'll be grateful to have given your kids something authentic to go along with the vapid pleasure seeking. ;)

Oh, and safety.

Definitely... and Katz's and Laboritorio di Gelato. Plus lower Orchard is as close to Brooklyn hip as you'll find in Manhattan.Funny- I keep calling it Disneyland too. Seems like the latest influx of immigrants into my neighborhood are young 20-somethings from mid-America who saw Sex and the City or some #### and decided to move here with their BFFs, 4 to an apartment. These are the people the city used to literally chew up and spit out, but are now wahooing it up on a nightly basis without fear of anything remotely icky... even when they're not doing SantaCon.

OK, looks like GB Flop has you covered.My only other suggestion is for your light day (Sunday). Go to the Lower East Side Tenement Museum. It is amazing, and it's so different from the typical touristry stuff most families do in Manhattan. It will deepen your appreciation for the immigrant experience, and you'll be grateful to have given your kids something authentic to go along with the vapid pleasure seeking. ;) Oh, and safety. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Honestly, this place is ####### Disneyland compared to pre-Rudy G.
Sorry. I'm old and I still have thoughts of Bernie Goetz and friends every time I think of the NY subway.Maybe we could do the MET on Sunday and the Tenement Museum on Monday?Thanks for all the feedback so far. I gotta run right now but I'll fill in some blanks when I get back.

Hey guys- need an idea for a New Year's Eve day :loco: lunch. Something nice and downtown and preferably on the west side (Chelsea and below). Can't get a sitter for the night- and can't afford any sitter we'd get let alone whatever prix-fixe a restaurant would be shoving down our throats, so we're doing lunch instead. Also trying to combine it with the High Line, which I'm ashamed to say I still haven't walked :bag: .

Looking at Del Posto or Perry St (eaten at the latter a ocuple of times), but I gotta say since the kids were born I'm pretty much clueless outside of our 3 block radius.

'kutta said:

Oh, and safety.

Sorry. I'm old and I still have thoughts of Bernie Goetz and friends every time I think of the NY subway.Maybe we could do the MET on Sunday and the Tenement Museum on Monday?

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I gotta run right now but I'll fill in some blanks when I get back.
The museum ideas sound good- you might want to reserve your spot or a specific tour at the Tenement Museum. FWIW, Eldridge St the couple blocks above Hester always feel like what a real Chinatown would feel like, IMO. Animal guts pouring out of warehouses... or stores, stink, dudes screaming at each other in front of said guts and boxes of rotting vegetables, rats, stink. It's horrible and wonderful. Or you can just walk down Grand St a bit through the more travelled Chinatown and then head up Mott or Elizabeth through what's left of Little Italy into NoLIta. Or go to Katz's (and up into the EVil- 7th, 9th, 10th streets between A and 1st or even 2nd are nice to walk) and tell em El Floppo sent you. First time I went there they kicked me out for ordering a chopped liver sandwich and when asked what kind of bread I wanted, responding with "whole wheat".Lol about Bernie Goetz... the Beastie Boys had a good rhyme about him, and I remember that incident too well. But gb BL is right. Giuliani arrested anybody that moved and Bloomberg made it too expensive for anybody interesting in a lascivious way to live here. It's all Euros and young frattish dudes and chicks now.

Hey guys- need an idea for a New Year's Eve day :loco: lunch. Something nice and downtown and preferably on the west side (Chelsea and below). Can't get a sitter for the night- and can't afford any sitter we'd get let alone whatever prix-fixe a restaurant would be shoving down our throats, so we're doing lunch instead. Also trying to combine it with the High Line, which I'm ashamed to say I still haven't walked :bag: .

Looking at Del Posto or Perry St (eaten at the latter a ocuple of times), but I gotta say since the kids were born I'm pretty much clueless outside of our 3 block radius.
I've had brunch at the Tenth Avenue Cookshop a couple of times and I've enjoyed it. It's on 10th Ave bet 19th and 20th. One nice thing is that they use Open Table so you can get reservations. It's not quite as pure upscale as Del Posto, more of a quasi-rustic/hip vibe to it...YOu can get a good sense from the websiteAlso more American with Mediterranean influences than Italian...Right next to the High Line

Also you'd have to find out if they were doing brunch or lunch that afternoon

I've had brunch at the Tenth Avenue Cookshop a couple of times and I've enjoyed it. It's on 10th Ave bet 19th and 20th. One nice thing is that they use Open Table so you can get reservations. It's not quite as pure upscale as Del Posto, more of a quasi-rustic/hip vibe to it...YOu can get a good sense from the websiteAlso more American with Mediterranean influences than Italian...Right next to the High Line

Thanks TU- cookshop looks great... but you're right, probably a bit not upscale enough for a NYE substitute lunch. Funny- somebody decided in the last couple of years that every restaurant should look the same: quirky, gastro-pubby, homey, rustic but modern.

Sadly, long time EVil landmark Nice Guy Eddie's (of the Kiss mural fame) renovated recently. At least I thought they were renovating- instead, they reopened as some two quasi-anglophile names separated by an ampersand place that looks like all the rest of the places that have opened in the last year or so. (eta: I don't mind the look yet- but will soon if they're just pumped out ad nauseum)

I loved Nice Guy Eddie's

:(

Used to go there all the time if I was seeing something at Mercury Lounge

But I will say it was rarely busy, not surprised they went under

I take it the Kiss mural is gone?

Thanks TU- cookshop looks great... but you're right, probably a bit not upscale enough for a NYE substitute lunch. Funny- somebody decided in the last couple of years that every restaurant should look the same: quirky, gastro-pubby, homey, rustic but modern.

Sadly, long time EVil landmark Nice Guy Eddie's (of the Kiss mural fame) renovated recently. At least I thought they were renovating- instead, they reopened as some two quasi-anglophile names separated by an ampersand place that looks like all the rest of the places that have opened in the last year or so. (eta: I don't mind the look yet- but will soon if they're just pumped out ad nauseum)
A husband of one of your coworkers was a chef at cook shop and its a favorite haunt of your South African boss type guy. It's quite good despite the decor and the location is what you are looking for.

Awesome comments so far. Thank you very much for all the help.

Floppo, our radios are used in coal mines for communications. They combine what's called "medium frequency" and "magnetic induction," and the signal will latch onto any wires or metal infrastructure and travel for miles.

The fire department is using them for comms in subways and high rise buildings. When the storm hit, it flooded out the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and the MTA lost their comms. They had attended some of our demos with the fire department and called us up. We shipped them some units and they installed them in the tunnel and they are now using our system for comms, until their primary system gets repaired.

Well I've decided that we will pretty much stick to the plan above with a couple of changes.

We are doing the MET on Sunday, and heading over to Two Little Red Hens bakery nearby.

Also, I am ditching Delmonico's (it looks like it's owned by a company now - not quite what I was looking for). I did get us in at Peter Luger's at 8:45 PM on New Year's Eve. Hopefully that works out OK.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll let you know how things go.

Users who are viewing this thread