What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFC Wild Card Game: Detroit at Dallas (2 Viewers)

Winner?

• Total voters
People need to stop. It wasn't a meh play. It was a play that had like 3 penalties followed by Des running on the field without his helmet, yelling right at an official and nothing was called. This was from the NFL's good officials. It was embarrassing.

Also, Dallas hasn't been good in about 20 years. They're like .500 over that span as well with 2 playoff wins. Those teams don't get "hated on"
True fact we have sucked for a bit.Doesn't stop the fact that you either love or hate the Cowboys and tons love to hate on us. It's all good though.
I think that's the perception of someone stuck in the past. People don't say stuff bad about the Cowboys because they hate them. They say it cause they've actually been bad...
wait a minute, who's in the second round of the playoffs? I wonder what mark sanchez is doin right now?
Whoa 2nd rd!

You guys are kind of the Pam Anderson of the NFL. Haven't been hot in 20 years and since you got hepatitis and barbed wire tattoos went out of style no one really cares about you.

You got 1 more week until Rodgers drops 40 on you.

People need to stop. It wasn't a meh play. It was a play that had like 3 penalties followed by Des running on the field without his helmet, yelling right at an official and nothing was called. This was from the NFL's good officials. It was embarrassing.

Also, Dallas hasn't been good in about 20 years. They're like .500 over that span as well with 2 playoff wins. Those teams don't get "hated on"
True fact we have sucked for a bit.Doesn't stop the fact that you either love or hate the Cowboys and tons love to hate on us. It's all good though.
I think that's the perception of someone stuck in the past. People don't say stuff bad about the Cowboys because they hate them. They say it cause they've actually been bad...
wait a minute, who's in the second round of the playoffs? I wonder what mark sanchez is doin right now?
Does this stuff still work? Or in your mind am I raging mad?

Whoa 2nd rd!

You guys are kind of the Pam Anderson of the NFL. Haven't been hot in 20 years and since you got hepatitis and barbed wire tattoos went out of style no one really cares about you.

meanwhile, you guys are talking about why chump and your GM cant get along.

Does this stuff still work? Or in your mind am I raging mad?
you're an eagles fan, you're mad by default.

Whoa 2nd rd!

In a week the only difference will be we have a better draft pick. You almost lost to the Lions.

Whoa 2nd rd!

In a week the only difference will be we have a better draft pick. You almost lost to the Lions.
Huh? we won the East, and our 1st round game. you didn't make the playoffs. If it were reversed and I posted what you just did, how would you respond?

This was the same head official that did the Stl/Giants game a few weeks back, which basically descended into anarchy. I remember, because my brother and I were going off about it. This guy should never be on a football field again, IMO. That was embarrassing. What a joke for the NFL -- again. Even Pereira knows it. Clowndom.

GG, refs.

Sorry, Lions.

Peace.

It's like saying people love or hate the Chicago Bulls. They're irrelevant and have been for some time. I hate the Giants more lately than any NFCE team.

Limp Ditka said:
Football Jones said:
The fact Pettigrew grabbed Hitchens face mask makes all this a moot point anyway. If people are really after the truth, let's not sweep this under the rug.

What people should be talking about is what a fantastic game it was.
Why does it make it moot?
Detroit should've been penalized. If we're after the truth in regards to how this play should've affected the game, the PI call is rather moot.

All I'm taking away from this is that it was as insanely officiated as the StL/NYG game a couple of weeks back, and that there's a head official that should be nowhere near the field in the future.

Ever.

Ever.

General Malaise said:
And don't get me wrong, I love Michigan and the people there. Great place. I know they are rabid fans, but their treatment of Matt Stafford is beyond ridiculous. Kid went to my HS so I tend to perk up when he gets attacked. There's not an NFL GM out there that wouldn't be pleased as punch to have Matt Stafford locked up long term. But Lion fans I heard? They don't care for him and they sure as hell don't stand up for him.
Drives me nuts. A Lions "fan" buddy I went to HS with in MI is constantly bashing Stafford...let them have Kaepernick for a season, I guarantee he'd be begging to have Stafford back.

This is funny...thread morphed into PHI-DAL relevance....well, I'll play. Since '94 the Cowboys and Eagles are 22-22 against each other. I have a quite a few friends who are Eagles fans and for some reason they like to excuse past history prior to the short time PHI was relevant. For the record the Cowboys own the Eagles all time 63-49 (Pro Football Reference.com)...as far back as I can remember the Eagles have been irrelevant save for the 2001-2004 window of opportunity. It's always been fun watching the 'Boys beating up on the Eagles every decade. Pity the Eagles highlight this year was the Thanksgiving win. Cowboys have bigger fish to fry. I hate the Skins and Giants way more than I hate the Eagles...they're just funny :)

6 points in the final 48 minutes of the game isn't going to get it done. Not against Dallas, Green Bay, Carolina, or Seattle.

This is funny...thread morphed into PHI-DAL relevance....well, I'll play. Since '94 the Cowboys and Eagles are 22-22 against each other. I have a quite a few friends who are Eagles fans and for some reason they like to excuse past history prior to the short time PHI was relevant. For the record the Cowboys own the Eagles all time 63-49 (Pro Football Reference.com)...as far back as I can remember the Eagles have been irrelevant save for the 2001-2004 window of opportunity. It's always been fun watching the 'Boys beating up on the Eagles every decade. Pity the Eagles highlight this year was the Thanksgiving win. Cowboys have bigger fish to fry. I hate the Skins and Giants way more than I hate the Eagles...they're just funny :)
You haven't been a factor in 20 years and rely on a 34 year old qb that only has 2 playoff wins. No one really cares about you any more and once you lose next week his window is even smaller. Not sure where the elite attitude comes from.

Take out that it was announced as a penalty then picked up....If that exact play happens week 5 @ Tampa Bay no one ever hears about it, agree?
No one that is not a Cowboys fan agrees with that.

I posted Mike Pereirra breakdown of it....he was a head of officiating. What of his points are wrong?
None of them. He was 100% correct. Could we get his thoughts on what Pettigrew was doing? As far as I know he hasn't given those yet.

The absolute correct call here was offsetting penalties, replay the down.

The second fairest option was no flag, 4th and 1.

The most unfair option would be only defensive PI called, first down Detroit.

Definitely a nice break for Dallas. But not some monumentally terrible call like the Testaverde TD, since clearly Detroit didn't really have a lot of faith in their ability to gain 1 yard.

parasaurolophus, on 05 Jan 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:
GoBirds, on 05 Jan 2015 - 12:49 AM, said:
texasheat, on 05 Jan 2015 - 12:44 AM, said:
Bigboy10182000, on 05 Jan 2015 - 12:42 AM, said:People need to stop. It wasn't a meh play. It was a play that had like 3 penalties followed by Des running on the field without his helmet, yelling right at an official and nothing was called. This was from the NFL's good officials. It was embarrassing.

Take out that it was announced as a penalty then picked up....If that exact play happens week 5 @ Tampa Bay no one ever hears about it, agree?

I posted Mike Pereirra breakdown of it....he was a head of officiating. What of his points are wrong?
None of them. He was 100% correct. Could we get his thoughts on what Pettigrew was doing? As far as I know he hasn't given those yet.

Definitely a nice break for Dallas. But not some monumentally terrible call like the Testaverde TD, since clearly Detroit didn't really have a lot of faith in their ability to gain 1 yard.
The absolute correct call would be the defensive holding which occurred 1st.

parasaurolophus, on 05 Jan 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:
GoBirds, on 05 Jan 2015 - 12:49 AM, said:
texasheat, on 05 Jan 2015 - 12:44 AM, said:
Bigboy10182000, on 05 Jan 2015 - 12:42 AM, said:People need to stop. It wasn't a meh play. It was a play that had like 3 penalties followed by Des running on the field without his helmet, yelling right at an official and nothing was called. This was from the NFL's good officials. It was embarrassing.

The absolute correct call would be the defensive holding which occurred 1st.
Or maybe flagging Dez for running out onto the field to scream at the ref

As a Steelers fan who went through this 9 years ago in here, my advice to the Cowboys fans is to just ignore other posters and move on to next week. Don't worry if people think the game was tainted. Don't even try to defend anything.

My take is that it was a bad decision to overturn that call. When I saw it live, I first thought obvious defensive PI. Then when I saw the replays, I thought obvious defensive PI. I can understand faceguarding but it looked like the defender made contact. I just think that's the type of play that's called 90% of the time. I certainly can't reverse that type of call. Regardless, I thought there were a lot of bad calls and missed calls against both teams throughout the game. Dallas still had to make some big plays at the end and they did. They deserve to move on.

jomar said:
So what's this I'm seeing on Twitter about pictures of the NFL Head of Officiating on a party bus with Jerry Jones?
hell ya man crap is rigged... Trying to tell you guys for ages this is how it's done. Why do you think same teams go far and win almost every year... steelers, giants, patriots, etc.... Lions aren't allowed to make it super bowl.....

am I actually understanding this right?

the team that built it's rep on cheapshotting their opponents is crying about not getting a call?

I think santa must be real
I haven't heard any of the comments, but PLEASE tell me Golden Tate had something to say. That would be glorious. :lol:

Gotta make plays not excuses. Overcoming adversity is part of winning.

Only real choke was Martin shanking the biggest punt of his life. 10 yards.

Stafford played well, Suh gave everything, just wasn't enough.
Your coach choked by punting on 4th and 1 inside Dallas territory. That was wildly incompetent game-day decision making.
Caldwell actually has got away with numerous coaching blunders this past season. Have zero faith in Caldwell's game time decisions.

Your coach choked by punting on 4th and 1 inside Dallas territory. That was wildly incompetent game-day decision making.
Caldwell actually has got away with numerous coaching blunders this past season. Have zero faith in Caldwell's game time decisions.
I’m not going to kill Caldwell for punting there. I’m sure he was thinking worst case scenario was Dallas getting the ball at the 20 and having to 80 yards against his defense. I’m not sure how many 80 yard scoring drives Detroit has surrendered this year but it probably isn’t many

6 points in the final 48 minutes of the game isn't going to get it done. Not against Dallas, Green Bay, Carolina, or Seattle.
Yup. Detroit players can be understandably frustrated. If using this bad call as their excuse for the loss helps them sleep better at night, more power to them. But the fact is that their bad play was a bigger factor.

I don't think there was any big conspiracy from the NFL outright rigging outcomes...too much risk for not that much benefit.

But definitely the refs were pretty incompetent in how the recanting of the call unfolded. And the party bus thing looks pretty bad in hindsight.

Last edited by a moderator:

punting from mid field with a lead late in the game is no crime. The punter shanked it. Thats not the coaches fault

Sam Martin shanked it late in the Cinci game last year, which led to a short field and another loss. He's also got horrible splits 4th Q and close - several shaky efforts in tight games this year.

Not the sole reason they lost by any means but he doesn't respond well to pressure.

Sam Martin shanked it late in the Cinci game last year, which led to a short field and another loss. He's also got horrible splits 4th Q and close - several shaky efforts in tight games this year.

Not the sole reason they lost by any means but he doesn't respond well to pressure.
Sam Martin should be released today.

Sam Martin should be released today.
It's a shame that just when they got the FG kicking going good the punts & even the kickoffs of Martin's started to go downhill.

Been seeing terrible officiating all year but I really hope a few refs lose their job over this game specifically.

As a Steelers fan who went through this 9 years ago in here, my advice to the Cowboys fans is to just ignore other posters and move on to next week. Don't worry if people think the game was tainted. Don't even try to defend anything.

My take is that it was a bad decision to overturn that call. When I saw it live, I first thought obvious defensive PI. Then when I saw the replays, I thought obvious defensive PI. I can understand faceguarding but it looked like the defender made contact. I just think that's the type of play that's called 90% of the time. I certainly can't reverse that type of call. Regardless, I thought there were a lot of bad calls and missed calls against both teams throughout the game. Dallas still had to make some big plays at the end and they did. They deserve to move on.
I agree.....also, up until the 4th Q every questionable (marginal?) call seemed to be going against Dallas so it tends to even out over the course of a game often.

People act like Detroit had that PI non call happen at the end of the game. It wasn't even midway through the fourth quarter.

Sabertooth said:
People act like Detroit had that PI non call happen at the end of the game. It wasn't even midway through the fourth quarter.
No, they act like it took place with less than 9 minutes left and would have put the Lions at the Dallas 30 with the opportunity to go up by two scores. It was a huge momentum shift.

Users who are viewing this thread