What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFCCG Pre-Game thread: Lions at 49ers (1 Viewer)

cross post from another thread:

Jared Goff grew up about an hour north of Levi’s Stadium. Born in Novato, raised in Kentfield, went to Marin Catholic & Cal. Wears #16 bc he idolized Joe Montana.

His dad Jerry went to San Rafael hs, College of Marin and Cal-Berkeley. Baseball Catcher who bounced around the minors for 12 years, spent parts of 6 seasons for 3 MLB teams.

Resilience runs in the family.

Sunday weather looking good, partly sunny and a high of 63 degrees. Wind around 6mph.

DraftKings line on the game is SF -6.5 with a total of 51.

Pulling for the Lions in this one. I've always liked them, and they became even more likeable when Dan Campbell became HC. The lovable losers are now joyous winners, and I'd love to see them continue to win.

I'm guessing everyone other than San Fran fans rooting for Detroit here?

I think I'm the lone exception(Giants fan). I love what the Lions have been doing, love DC, the players, and have been rooting for them all year as a 2nd team. If I could select 1 of the remaining 4 teams to win the Super Bowl, it would be the Lions. But, I really dislike both remaining AFC teams, and think the 9ers have the better chance of beating them, so I'd rather the 9ers represent the NFC. I'm weird in how I view things

Probably. Heck, even I like the Lions, I lived in Michigan for 11 years and always root for them unless they're playing SF.

If the Lions win Sunday, I'll be rooting hard for them to win it all.
Yeah, if they were playing anyone but the 49ers, I would be rooting for them too. But they are, so I'm not :popcorn:

GO NINERS!

These are the two best offenses in the NFC. They are 1-2 in yards per game, yards per play, and offensive touchdowns.

Defensively the 49ers are a vastly better team across the board. The Lions excel in run D, they have allowed the fewest yards to RBs - no back has topped 68 yards rushing. Over the past 6 games they have allowed 68.8 total rushing yards /g, [and none of their opponents has exceeded 89 yards rushing as a team. They give up tons of passing yards but they will sell out to stop the run.]

Of course they are getting toasted by every stud WR they face.
  • Week 16 Jefferson 6-141-1
  • Week 17 Lamb 13-227-1
  • Week 18 JJ (again) 12-192-1
  • Wild Card Nukua 9-181-1
  • Division Evans 8-147-1
Cam Sutton (CB1) has been going through it. In those 5 g, he has allowed 36 targets, 29 receptions, 550 yards, 4 TDs, 136.5 passer rating when targeted. Brutal.

But consider this; over the last 6 games, as a team:
  1. DEN 42-17 Win
  2. MIN 30-24 Win
  3. ZEBRAS 19-20 ROBBED
  4. MIN 30-20 Win
  5. LAR 24-23 Win
  6. TB 31-23 Win
127 points (21.2 PPG); they’ve done enough. They have won 5 of those games and did enough to win in their only loss.

I’ll have more to say about what Aaron Glenn has been doing since the loss in Chicago Week 14. For now, no way to sugar coat it: they have one legit pass rusher and both outside Corners are struggling to win their one on ones.

But they’re doing a lot of creative things with their fronts and coverage schemes. The plain truth is this team is still in player acquisition mode, they need more dudes on defense. AG is doing a helluva job IMO.

Their #1 CB blew out his knee after two snaps and the secondary’s spiritual leader missed 12 games with a torn pec. Nobody cares, gotta try to make it work with what you have.

Last edited:
I've got nothing for this week. No trash talk, no stats, no links to tweets....just excited for Sunday to get here!

This might be the first playoff game I can remember that I dont hate the opponent, city, or fan base. I'm genuinely happy for all of them.

Enjoy finally having a contender, Lions fans, I can't imagine how awesome it feels for you guys!

:banned:

Anyone else here remember the divisional-round matchup between Detroit and SF in the 1983 playoffs (I mean, aside from @BobbyLayne)? I would say the memories are seared in my brain, except I just watched the highlights and I had a few things wrong. I thought Eric Hipple was the one who threw those five INTs, but it was Gary Danielson (Hipple had gotten injured in the season finale). I also have a memory of Billy Sims dropping what would have been a bomb TD early in the game, but didn't see that on the highlights. Did I hallucinate it?

Anyway, for the most part my memories were accurate. Despite the hole Danielson put them in, he was able to rally them back from a deficit to take a 23-17 lead, and then, after Montana answered with a late TD, Danielson drove them down to the 23, where Eddie Murray biffed the potential game-winner. I'm pretty sure that was the first time the Lions ever truly broke my heart. :cry:

A couple of other observations:
  • I know it was commonplace back then, but still jarring (no pun intended) to see the helmet-to-helmet hit Ronnie Lott put on Lions FB Leonard Thompson in the first half. And Thompson stayed in the game!
  • If the Shark Pool had existed at the time, the "Post here when coaches do something you disagree with" thread would have been absolutely buzzing after that game. Lions kicked a 21 yard FG and Niners kicked a 19 yarder. You think MCDC wouldn't have gone for it on 4th and goal from the 3? (OK, maybe Shanny would still have kicked). Also, on their final drive, Lions had 14 seconds and one timeout. They ran up the middle to Sims, called TO with 11 seconds, and then kicked the FG. Not sure what down it was -- and can't find a detailed play-by-play of the game anywhere -- but how can you not at least take a shot to the sideline and try to get closer than a 41-yarder?
  • I was going to say I didn't understand why the Lions didn't go for two after scoring late to go up 22-17, then remembered the two-point conversion wasn't added until 1994 :shrug:

This might be the first playoff game I can remember that I dont hate the opponent, city, or fan base. I'm genuinely happy for all of them.
Since we are getting the nice words out of the way early, I just want to say I never hated SF the way I hated some other well known teams. I was a big fan of both Montana and Young and the way those teams played over a long stretch of years. And let's not forget the GOAT WR Jerry Rice. 🐐

The only thing I really remember about that game was the missed FG at the end. Couldn’t believe Murray missed it. Figured Niners were done. Odd my memory is so bad for this game when Danielson threw 5 picks.

But I remember everything about the loss next week to the Redskins. Came back from down 21-0 in the 2nd half and then the horrible penalties called on the last drive that let Washington run out the clock and kick the short FG to win it. Still bitter about that. Monk couldn’t have caught that pass on 3rd down even if he had the arms of inspector gadget and was 9 feet tall. Still called the PI on Wright 🤬🤬🤬

The only thing I really remember about that game was the missed FG at the end. Couldn’t believe Murray missed it. Figured Niners were done. Odd my memory is so bad for this game when Danielson threw 5 picks.

But I remember everything about the loss next week to the Redskins. Came back from down 21-0 in the 2nd half and then the horrible penalties called on the last drive that let Washington run out the clock and kick the short FG to win it. Still bitter about that. Monk couldn’t have caught that pass on 3rd down even if he had the arms of inspector gadget and was 9 feet tall. Still called the PI on Wright 🤬🤬🤬
I remember that game, too! I'm actually a football bigamist: My dad's from Detroit and the Lions/Tigers/Pistons were my first loves, but my mom is from DC and I was a kid during the Gibbs/Riggins/Hogs heyday so I cheered for Washington, too. And yeah, they got bailed out by the refs in that game. Felt like they were on their last legs by the end of that playoff run, as evidenced by what the Raiders did to them in the SB

I remember that game, too! I'm actually a football bigamist: My dad's from Detroit and the Lions/Tigers/Pistons were my first loves, but my mom is from DC and I was a kid during the Gibbs/Riggins/Hogs heyday so I cheered for Washington, too. And yeah, they got bailed out by the refs in that game. Felt like they were on their last legs by the end of that playoff run, as evidenced by what the Raiders did to them in the SB
Oh, and before anyone asks, when Detroit played Washington in the '91 NFCCG, I was cheering for the Lions to make their first SB, but also knew it didn't matter since Washington was going to destroy them, which they did

You made me curious so I rewatched the highlights of that game, too. The Monk DPI came on 2nd down. Wright definitely pushed him, but you may be right that it was uncatchable. The 3rd and 5 penalty was a defensive holding inside of two minutes that allowed Washington to run down the clock and kick the game winner. Summerall called it "ticky tack", but I thought it looked more blatant than the one they called on Bradberry in last year's SB

Anyone else here remember the divisional-round matchup between Detroit and SF in the 1983 playoffs (I mean, aside from @BobbyLayne)? I would say the memories are seared in my brain, except I just watched the highlights and I had a few things wrong. I thought Eric Hipple was the one who threw those five INTs, but it was Gary Danielson (Hipple had gotten injured in the season finale). I also have a memory of Billy Sims dropping what would have been a bomb TD early in the game, but didn't see that on the highlights. Did I hallucinate it?

Anyway, for the most part my memories were accurate. Despite the hole Danielson put them in, he was able to rally them back from a deficit to take a 23-17 lead, and then, after Montana answered with a late TD, Danielson drove them down to the 23, where Eddie Murray biffed the potential game-winner. I'm pretty sure that was the first time the Lions ever truly broke my heart. :cry:

• I know it was commonplace back then, but still jarring (no pun intended) to see the helmet-to-helmet hit Ronnie Lott put on Lions FB Leonard Thompson in the first half. And Thompson stayed in the game!
  • If the Shark Pool had existed at the time, the "Post here when coaches do something you disagree with" thread would have been absolutely buzzing after that game. Lions kicked a 21 yard FG and Niners kicked a 19 yarder. You think MCDC wouldn't have gone for it on 4th and goal from the 3? (OK, maybe Shanny would still have kicked). Also, on their final drive, Lions had 14 seconds and one timeout. They ran up the middle to Sims, called TO with 11 seconds, and then kicked the FG. Not sure what down it was -- and can't find a detailed play-by-play of the game anywhere -- but how can you not at least take a shot to the sideline and try to get closer than a 41-yarder?
  • I was going to say I didn't understand why the Lions didn't go for two after scoring late to go up 22-17, then remembered the two-point conversion wasn't added until 1994 :shrug:
I will never forget this game. The Lions went toe-to-toe with the Niners and even with Danielson throwing 5 interceptions the Lions had a great chance to win. Murray's missed FG was a punch in the gut.

I still have images in my head of Monte Clark praying right before the kick.

i am of an age. My only Niner Super Bowl memories are two losses. Im tired of feeling pain. Can we win one and let me die happy haha

I will never forget this game. The Lions went toe-to-toe with the Niners and even with Danielson throwing 5 interceptions the Lions had a great chance to win. Murray's missed FG was a punch in the gut.

Ha. Almost forgot that name even though he coached the 49ers one year. Went 8-6 and got fired by Eddie DeBartolo after he bought the team. Don't remember all the details, but kind of strange to have a good season in year one and get canned. They sucked in 1977 and then hired Bill Walsh. Worked out for the 49ers in a roundabout fashion, but Clark was a good coach.

Ha. Almost forgot that name even though he coached the 49ers one year. Went 8-6 and got fired by Eddie DeBartolo after he bought the team. Don't remember all the details, but kind of strange to have a good season in year one and get canned. They sucked in 1977 and then hired Bill Walsh. Worked out for the 49ers in a roundabout fashion, but Clark was a good coach.
And yet, like all Lions HCs, he never got another shot after Detroit. There's a part of me that cheers every offseason for Jim Schwartz to get hired, just to break that stupid streak. (I don't feel the same way about Patricia, since I wouldn't wish him on any NFL franchise)

Pulling for the Lions in this one. I've always liked them, and they became even more likeable when Dan Campbell became HC. The lovable losers are now joyous winners, and I'd love to see them continue to win.
Looks like we have Lady Luck on our side. 🍀

We really saw how important Deebo is to this offense. I'd assume he isn't gonna practice much if any leading up to game. They need him. He misses game then I see a path to a Lions win. Giddy up.

I want to see CMC get a ring, but who wouldn't want to root for Detroit. I'm happy with a good game.
I am a bit conflicted. It's hard to not root for the Lions, who have been a doormat for so long, but on the flip side, I do think about how many Lions fans are probably Red Wings fans as well (and the Blues fan in me doesn't like the idea of a Red Wing fan ever being happy in in the sports sense :P), so it's a dilemma. :lol:

This season

Aidan Hutchinson
  • 101 pressures
  • 11.5 sacks
  • 23 QB hits
  • PFF pass rush grade 91.4 (5th)

Nick Bosa
  • 95 pressures
  • 14 sacks
  • 21 QB hits
  • PFF pass rush grade 92.6 (3rd)

Hutch leads all players with 3 Sacks, 5 QB Hits, & 9 hurries in the playoffs this year. Over the past 4 games he has accumulated 8 sacks.

Lions at #1, #2, #5, and #14

PFF 15 highest-graded players from NFL's divisional round​

20% minimum snap share to qualify.

1. OT PENEI SEWELL, DETROIT LIONS: 94.1 PFF GRADE

PFF’s highest-graded run-blocking offensive lineman of the 2023 regular season had a big day in the divisional round. Sewell’s 97.5 PFF run-blocking grade was the highest single-game grade recorded this season by an offensive lineman. On outside zone plays, he earned a 95.4 PFF grade, highlighted by an incredible play in which Sewell took on a pair of blocks on the backside to open up the cutback lane, which sprung a 31-yard score by Jahmyr Gibbs.

2. OT TAYLOR DECKER, DETROIT LIONS: 93.6

Decker joins his teammate atop this list due to an incredible outing in all facets. The Lions left tackle came away from the divisional round as the only offensive lineman to secure a 91.0-plus PFF grade in both run blocking (93.0) and pass blocking (91.0) — no other lineman exceeded 82.0 in both.

In 48 pass-blocking snaps, Decker won every rep, allowing zero pressures. That equated to the highest pass blocking in the divisional round.

5. LB JALEN REEVES-MAYBIN, DETROIT LIONS: 90.6

Primarily featured on passing downs, Reeves-Maybin was incredible in his role this past week. The Lions linebacker earned an 85.3 PFF coverage grade, credit for allowing just a pair of receptions into his coverage for just nine yards. Reeves-Maybin also managed to secure a crucial sack late to help secure the win.

9. LB DRE GREENLAW, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 90.0

The fifth-year pro had a phenomenal coverage performance in the divisional round, earning the second-highest PFF coverage grade (87.7) among all defenders. On 40 coverage snaps, Greenlaw allowed just 0.63 yards per snap, the highest among linebackers this past week. Perhaps most impressively, Greenlaw secured a pair of interceptions late in the second half to help turn the tide in the Niners' favor.

14. OG JONAH JACKSON, DETROIT LIONS: 86.1

Despite going down in the first half of the Lions' divisional-round matchup, Jackson was incredible in his time on the field. Jackson allowed no pressures on his 18 pass protection snaps. In the run game, Jackson was asserting his will prior to going down earning a positive grade on a third of his snaps, all without committing a single error.

@LionsPR

Since the stats began being tracked in 1999, only two #NFL rookies have produced a postseason with at least 15 tackles, 2 TFLs, 1.0 sack and 1 PD:

- Lions DB @BrianBB_1 (2023)
- 49ers DE Nick Bosa (2019)

#AllGrit

i am of an age. My only Niner Super Bowl memories are two losses. Im tired of feeling pain. Can we win one and let me die happy haha

I _barely_ remember the 94 win, but if I'm being honest, it's probably from watching highlights. So I'm practically in the same boat as you. The consistent NFCGG appearances have been amazing, but let's do this.

I think SF v. KC/BAL would be a better Super Bowl matchup......but there's something inherently unlikable about SF, what with their whining over last years NFCCG....so you got to pull for the Lions. Plus, that DET fan base deserves to bask in the glow for once. DET is also a much more likable team. Plus, DET's fans here are much more likeable.

It's pretty wild how everyone's view on Lions coach Dan Campbell has done a complete 180. Remember when he first dropped that wild "bite a kneecap" speech? People thought he was nuts.
Now, you look around and everyone's singing his praises. A pretty remarkable shift in public perception, but then again, winning cures all, heh.

Dan Campbell said:
Here's what I do know. This team is going to take on the identity of this city and this city has been down and it found a way to get up. It's found a way to overcome adversity, right? So this team is going to be built on, we're going to kick you in the teeth, right? And when you punch us back, we're going to smile at you. And when you knock us down, we're going to get up and on the way up, we're going to bite a kneecap off. All right? And we're going to stand up and it's going to take two more shots to knock us down. And on the way up, we're going to take your other kneecap and we're going to get up and it's going to take three shots to get us down. And when we do, we're going to take another hunk out of you.

PFF Grades OT
1. DET Penei Sewell 91.7 (1 sack allowed)
2. SF Trent Williams 90.5 (0 sacks allowed)
8. DET Taylor Decker 81.1 (8 sacks allowed)
39. SF Colton McKivitz 65.3 (9 sacks allowed)

out of 137 qualifying tackles

Users who are viewing this thread